Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love that people do this kinda stuff in their spare time, especially when it lets me do stuff like playing games off an external HDD on my Wii.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    I love that people do this kinda stuff in their spare time, especially when it lets me do stuff like playing games off an external HDD on my Wii.
    +1. Thank God these nerds are willing to share the payoff of their hobby.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just got an Evo....now what?

I've been doing some research about rooting, but there's just so much information out there.

I got the usual types of questions...

Does it mess up warranty?
    Can I revert back to the original settings?
    Do I need to turn off OTA updates and only download certain? If so, which ones?
    etc. etc.

This thing seems fine to me the way it is, but I know I'll get bored eventually and want to unlock its full potential. I'm already getting frustrated seeing all these damn Sprint Apps that I can't uninstall.

Can anyone recommend a good EVO/android site out there?

I've tried a few APPS that were recommended on the first page, and those were great.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    Just got an Evo....now what?

I've been doing some research about rooting, but there's just so much information out there.

I got the usual types of questions...

Does it mess up warranty?
    Technically yes. However as an example, my friend bricked his Droid and it was so ed up that Verizon couldn't even tell it had been rooted. If it's already messed up, there are ways to more or less wipe everything off your phone, destroy it to the point that Sprint can't tell it was ever rooted.

Can I revert back to the original settings?
    Yes, rooting more or less means that you're swapping out (flashing) ROMs (different versions of the Android operating system). You'd be able to flash back to a stock Sprint ROM if you ever wanted. Sprint would be able to tell that you had superuser access at one time though.

Do I need to turn off OTA updates and only download certain? If so, which ones?
    etc. etc.
    No. When you flash a new ROM onto your phone it will automatically disable stock updates. However, your new custom ROM might be able to get it's own updates via apps like ROM manager. I've found it's best to simply do it manually.

This thing seems fine to me the way it is, but I know I'll get bored eventually and want to unlock its full potential. I'm already getting frustrated seeing all these damn Sprint Apps that I can't uninstall.
    I loved my Captivate and didn't root for months out of feeling overwhelmed by the process and being scared of something going wrong. Now that it's rooted, I'm never going back to a stock phone. Every time I get a new phone now, I will root as soon as it's out of the box. Take some time if you need to. You'll love it being rooted though. Especially with Sprint packing so much garbage bloatware into their .
    Can anyone recommend a good EVO/android site out there?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=619 is your best bet
    Also, poke around at
    http://androidforums.com/

And I'd recommend trying to get a friend who's already rooted to help you, if possible. I'd have been more lost without a little help from my friends. That said, I was amazed at how simple it was, after the fact.

I don't know if Cry Havoc is rooted, but if he is and is willing give you the time of day, I'd trust what he says regarding the Evo. Might be worth asking him.
    Last edited by balli; 01-20-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Ballie. I'm going to sit back and get more familiar with this thing first before I root it.

Unfortunately none of my friends have their phones rooted (they didn't even know about it), so I guess I'll be the first one and end up showing everyone else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Ballie. I'm going to sit back and get more familiar with this thing first before I root it.

Unfortunately none of my friends have their phones rooted (they didn't even know about it), so I guess I'll be the first one and end up showing everyone else.
    Rooting for the Evo is extremely easy. Go to unrevoked.com on your evo and download the one click root, then click it. Rooting it is as easy downloading and app and running it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this should result in an absurd payoff:

http://gizmodo.com/5739828/even-more...oracle-appears

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's good. they retracted it that same day looks like.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    Anybody who didn't get the updated LauncherPro last week should probably do so. The new transition effects between homescreens are the .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody who didn't get the updated LauncherPro last week should probably do so. The new transition effects between homescreens are the .
    I bought it. It's sweet enough that I didn't mind paying $2.99 to help the guy out.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    I bought it. It's sweet enough that I didn't mind paying $2.99 to help the guy out.
    I've been thinking about it. It's probably cool being able to scale widgets. That's it, I'm doing it right now; get that huge ass power bar thing down to about half size.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I've been thinking about it. It's probably cool being able to scale widgets. That's it, I'm doing it right now; get that huge ass power bar thing down to about half size.
    adw lets you do it for free but that launcher lags too much. you should pay the 3 bucks. its really nothing much and it helps out federico. he is also close to releasing the new launcher pro which he built from scratch. says its even more stable and faster. only gonna be for people that paid for the app.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought one android product and will never buy one again. I bought the cliq. $300 dollars and a renewed contract! The phone would last 1/3 of the day. (no I dont want to app kill every time I open something). I sold the phone on ebay and renewed my contract. I now have some pos flip phone but do have an iPad. If I were to venture back into the high end phone market I wouldn't gamble with some ing giant turd android. I would put my money on an iPhone simply because apple makes their hardware. Oh and why not go check the plethora of total tablets running android. None of them will be good.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    I bought one android product and will never buy one again. I bought the cliq. $300 dollars and a renewed contract! The phone would last 1/3 of the day. (no I dont want to app kill every time I open something). I sold the phone on ebay and renewed my contract. I now have some pos flip phone but do have an iPad. If I were to venture back into the high end phone market I wouldn't gamble with some ing giant turd android. I would put my money on an iPhone simply because apple makes their hardware. Oh and why not go check the plethora of total tablets running android. None of them will be good.
    That's an idiotic post. Mind numbingly ignorant. Sorry you bought hardware without doing your homework first.

Those of us who did, love our phones. And lol at the people who don't have a third of the functionality as I do on my incredibly awesome Captivate, but and moan because they don't wanna take a half second to choose which services are running or not.

Yeah get the iphone, it's idiot proof at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, those iPhone 4's never had problems because Apple makes them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By functionality u mean work? The phone didn't work from the get go, it uses the same hardware as the g1. Some guy on Howard stern has an evo or some ty new "high end" droid and he even complains that he has to restart is ever other day. For 2 years now google with their android has been throwing everything they have at the iPhone, and nothing will ever be better, simply because hardware quality control. Yes cry if u hold the phone like an ape the service will go away. However, I'll take that over slow screens, numbers not dialing, pocket calling and texting, total battery life

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    By functionality u mean work?
    no.
    I'll take that over slow screens, numbers not dialing, pocket calling and texting, total battery life
    You don't have the first ing clue what you're talking about. You are ass ignorant of the most basic facts.

Doesn't surprise me that some goober from the Howard Stern show is your source of information about tech products.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By functionality u mean work? The phone didn't work from the get go, it uses the same hardware as the g1. Some guy on Howard stern has an evo or some ty new "high end" droid and he even complains that he has to restart is ever other day. For 2 years now google with their android has been throwing everything they have at the iPhone, and nothing will ever be better, simply because hardware quality control. Yes cry if u hold the phone like an ape the service will go away. However, I'll take that over slow screens, numbers not dialing, pocket calling and texting, total battery life

Too stupid to even respond to.

You should probably learn a bit about hardware before you try to have a debate with people who actually know a thing or two.

"Hold it like an ape."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it incredibly humorous and ironic that the company that started the Superbowl craze with, "We'll show you why 1984 won't be like 1984" is the same one that can now tell you how you should and should not hold your cell phone, lest you be compared to a primate.

After all these years, Apple is far closer to Big Brother than IBM or Microsoft ever has been.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    Normally I wouldn't mind telling you how it is. Explaining step by step how wrong you are and why; explaining comparative processor speeds, overclocking, kernels, ROMS, themes, scalable page scrolling speeds, things as simple as screen ing locks () which I have four different types of, btw.

It's so blatantly obvious how wrong your are though that actually explaining these things in any detail would be a complete waste of time.

Get out of this thread and quit embarrassing yourself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it incredibly humorous and ironic that the company that started the Superbowl craze with, "We'll show you why 1984 won't be like 1984" is the same one that can now tell you how you should and should not hold your cell phone, lest you be compared to a primate.

After all these years, Apple is far closer to Big Brother than IBM or Microsoft ever has been.
    Ehh, that's a stretch. Genuine Validation? The only thing I would say is Apple has always been like that from day one, they haven't changed their walled garden stance at all as far as software and hardware are concerned. Yet it's incredibly easy to pirate Mac software and they really haven't done much to stop it.
    Last edited by leemajors; 02-01-2011 at 08:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Explaining step by step how wrong you are and why; explaining comparative processor speeds, overclocking, kernels, ROMS, themes, scalable page scrolling speeds, things as simple as screen ing locks () which I have four different types of, btw.
    Its funny the amount of effort and time u must in invest just to make your beloved android phone operate to your satisfaction.

Four screen locks?

I might be missing something here but a screen lock is a screen lock, unless its google.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    Four screen locks?

I might be missing something here but a screen lock is a screen lock, unless its google.
    Unless you're too dumb to know how to operate one and end up making 'pocket calls' like some sort of idiot.

And I find it further moronic that you cite having more options as a bad thing. Yeah, I can choose whether to unlock my phone by drawing a custom pattern of my choosing, sliding a puzzle piece into place, swiping the entire screen to the side, or sliding an iphone type slider away. How ty Android is for giving me cool and customizable options with varying levels of security.

Dumbass, like I said, quit embarrassing yourself. You don't know ANYTHING about this tech and this thread doesn't exist for clueless shmucks to publicly act ass-ignorant; it's for posters who have the first iota of a clue. Stop talking.

edit: Oh wait. I see. You didn't even know I was talking about having options. Assumed I meant utilizing four screen locks at once. Jesus... I was outwitted by too high of expectations for what is obviously your feeble mind. I didn't think anyone could be that dumb. That's too bad.
    Last edited by balli; 02-02-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Thread Information