Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Again, though, I firmly believe Pato will be there in Austin if the Spurs need him. He's done nothing that would make another team desperate to sign him, especially over the guys who are going to get cut from other teams. And whenever the Spurs decide to sign him, they can give him the exact same deal he has already, including regaining his RFA rights. With Livio, if he's cut, he can't be brought back on the same deal.
    It's a risk I'm willing to take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a risk I'm willing to take.
    Well, sure, you're willing to take the risk when it's not your $3 Million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, sure, you're willing to take the risk when it's not your $3 Million.
    Yeah, i cracked myself up. lol

It would be uncharacteristic of PATFO to make a move like that, so I do agree. I just think for the same reasons you cut Garino can be said about LJC. No one is gonna pick up either if they are waved imo. But I disagree about one thing though, about the developing part, we already have Murray, and with so many new faces, you need options that are viable. You can't just have people occupying spots that are deadweight. We are severely thin at the center spot. Dedmon is hit or miss. Lee is more of a PF. I'm not even saying Anthony should be the one. I'd look at the waiver wire, but he's got experience. He was on the champion heat. Another champion doesn't hurt. He'll understand his role and be high character. The money makes it tough, but that doesn't mean you owe it to him. If you don't think he has it, you cut him loose and and let him have his money. I do agree that it's not a good idea to waive a guy that you have locked up, potentially, for several years but that's only something if he shows progress. I personally think him and Simmons, have showed little improvement over the last couple years but maybe they understand that they are low ceiling. If they keep either or both they must have plans for them. I think Juice is on a shorter leash though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

i reached out to my sources

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, i cracked myself up. lol

It would be uncharacteristic of PATFO to make a move like that, so I do agree. I just think for the same reasons you cut Garino can be said about LJC. No one is gonna pick up either if they are waved imo. But I disagree about one thing though, about the developing part, we already have Murray, and with so many new faces, you need options that are viable. You can't just have people occupying spots that are deadweight. We are severely thin at the center spot. Dedmon is hit or miss. Lee is more of a PF. I'm not even saying Anthony should be the one. I'd look at the waiver wire, but he's got experience. He was on the champion heat. Another champion doesn't hurt. He'll understand his role and be high character. The money makes it tough, but that doesn't mean you owe it to him. If you don't think he has it, you cut him loose and and let him have his money. I do agree that it's not a good idea to waive a guy that you have locked up, potentially, for several years but that's only something if he shows progress. I personally think him and Simmons, have showed little improvement over the last couple years but maybe they understand that they are low ceiling. If they keep either or both they must have plans for them. I think Juice is on a shorter leash though.
    Well, we'll have to wait and see, obviously. SAEN suggested that LJC could be on the chopping block, so it won't come out of nowhere if he is cut. But remember that the Spurs can only have 13 players active for each game. So when you think about it, having a guy like Livio who's parked in Austin all year is a better use of a roster spot than a guy who's going to be in a suit behind the bench all year. If you need an emergency fill-in, you can get by with Livio just as easily as anyone else. The truth is that the only reason why Joel might make the team is because Dedmon looks shaky as the backup center. But with Lee looking good enough to spell him and Bertans showing out, the team actually has five big-man spots taken care of. Ideally, you want someone like Carl Landry over Anthony for the sixth big, but neither should play over the top five as well as Anderson and Kawhi in small-ball.

I don't see a point in paying so much money to have Murray, Arcidiacono, Pato, LJC in the d-league when you can have that same group while spending no additional money. What you risk is someone signing Pato, but even if that's the case, you have someone like Hunter, Sampson or Young, the guys in the OP and numerous other wings I don't know about. It never pays to fall too in love with 16th men. I'd much rather let Pato show that he's able to stand out in Austin before making irrevocable roster moves to protect him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

i reached out to my sources
    That guy is the most lovable Spur!
    _____

Well if they can keep just one guy I think it's Forbes.
    They then do Garino if they get fed up with Simmons midseason or so.
    Anthony is tough to let go, but they have Dedmon and he might have been losing minutes to Lee and Bertans and might be looking like the 5th big and in and out of the rotation depending on how the other bigs are holding up and his own play.

That is my #Nostradamus prediction. I have trouble seeing them part with somebody bc they have not reached Jimmer levels, but they might. Older souls than me have educated me on Pop pimping dudes that should not have been pimped.

Also, I can't help but feeling that despite the fun game and the win, Pop was in foul mood bc it's never easy to give bad news to good guys and that is what he was about to do or is getting ready to do tomorrow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, we'll have to wait and see, obviously. SAEN suggested that LJC could be on the chopping block, so it won't come out of nowhere if he is cut. But remember that the Spurs can only have 13 players active for each game. So when you think about it, having a guy like Livio who's parked in Austin all year is a better use of a roster spot than a guy who's going to be in a suit behind the bench all year. If you need an emergency fill-in, you can get by with Livio just as easily as anyone else. The truth is that the only reason why Joel might make the team is because Dedmon looks shaky as the backup center. But with Lee looking good enough to spell him and Bertans showing out, the team actually has five big-man spots taken care of. Ideally, you want someone like Carl Landry over Anthony for the sixth big, but neither should play over the top five as well as Anderson and Kawhi in small-ball.

I don't see a point in paying so much money to have Murray, Arcidiacono, Pato, LJC in the d-league when you can have that same group while spending no additional money. What you risk is someone signing Pato, but even if that's the case, you have someone like Hunter, Sampson or Young, the guys in the OP and numerous other wings I don't know about. It never pays to fall too in love with 16th men. I'd much rather let Pato show that he's able to stand out in Austin before making irrevocable roster moves to protect him.
    Good points as usual. I'm looking forward to see what PATFO decides. Staying up right now and hitting the refresh over and over like it's the darn trade deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points as usual. I'm looking forward to see what PATFO decides. Staying up right now and hitting the refresh over and over like it's the darn trade deadline.
    12/15 is the day for me. That will be the first day they could trade Dedmon. If they are unhappy with their backup center, a move could come just after that time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That guy is the most lovable Spur!
    _____

Well if they can keep just one guy I think it's Forbes.
    They then do Garino if they get fed up with Simmons midseason or so.
    Anthony is tough to let go, but they have Dedmon and he might have been losing minutes to Lee and Bertans and might be looking like the 5th big and in and out of the rotation depending on how the other bigs are holding up and his own play.

That is my #Nostradamus prediction. I have trouble seeing them part with somebody bc they have not reached Jimmer levels, but they might. Older souls than me have educated me on Pop pimping dudes that should not have been pimped.

Also, I can't help but feeling that despite the fun game and the win, Pop was in foul mood bc it's never easy to give bad news to good guys and that is what he was about to do or is getting ready to do tomorrow.
    Solid take. Makes sense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The campaign going back to before training camp by Kyle-verts wishing Simmons getting cut has been entertaining, but also sad.

Simmons is a minimum expiring deal at 6-6 who shoots serviceably from three, shines in transition, and when not covering ball handlers in PnR is not that bad defensively.

And in a real, high stakes game he is probably is out of a 10 man rotation, even 11 man rotation. He's just an energy guy to come in and change a game, on the best possible contract while also not blocking the development of anyone.

The knives are out for him because he has occasionally made Kyle look bad and has often taken minutes from him that he would have never received if not for high pedigree high IQ UCLA superstar Kyle disappointing the powers that be.

That's it. And the knives will come out for Bertans once he starts taking minutes away.

So Simmons has a rough handle? So he gets out of control when he's ball dominating?

So what? He's a fringe outside the rotation player who has things he does do well. Why want to see him cut?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't see this quote from Pop earlier, but it doesn't sound like a guy who is about to get cut: "Jon (Jonathon Simmons), will probably miss a few days, maybe,” said Popovich. “Danny will be weeks."

I don't see any way to let go of a guy like Bryn Forbes. He's made 50% of his 3's in the pre-season. I don't care if it was pre-season compe ion - if they can get him some open shots, he can clearly knock them down. That kept Boobie Gibson in the league for 7 years. If the Spurs were to let him go, I don't have much doubt that someone else would clear a roster spot for a knock-down 3P shooter.

Chinook is probably right, and they keep LJC. I'd keep Garino over him, but they probably won't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Objective no hard feelings. I have given Simmons a fair chance but I just don't like his game. If he didn't feel the need to hero ball and stayed within a team concept I could grow to like him, but sadly he hasn't. He's evolved into a ball dominant player who heroballs and has lost the touch from 3. He's not playing off the ball well at all bc he doesn't space the floor for others and what he's been doing with the ball in his hands has been mostly selfish or a bad pass. He doesn't have the talent to be that high usage. I liked him more b4 Pop tried to turn him into a Ginobili clone which he's not. He used to be a fine off ball player.

I have loved Bertans and actually felt time ago the bench would be better with him at the 4. I like that he's a shooter but stays within a team concept and looks to pass and make plays for teammates as well, and takes his shots within the offense. I have liked many things from many of the new players but there's not one thing I have liked from Simmons except transition scoring and he had that last season too.

Anyways the criticism for him has never risen to the levels Anderson has, who still has like 200 threads against him on a regular basis and props up everywhere with guys hating on him.... so I don't know why you are so hurt. The criticism for Simmons is deserved. I always hated comparison between the two as they were very different players but it was actually a huge Anderson hate brigade that pimped Simmons up basically bc they disliked Anderson, not the reverse.

-----
    Anyways, he's going to be healthy and playing in the season opener:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't see this quote from Pop earlier, but it doesn't sound like a guy who is about to get cut: "Jon (Jonathon Simmons), will probably miss a few days, maybe,” said Popovich. “Danny will be weeks."

I don't see any way to let go of a guy like Bryn Forbes. He's made 50% of his 3's in the pre-season. I don't care if it was pre-season compe ion - if they can get him some open shots, he can clearly knock them down. That kept Boobie Gibson in the league for 7 years. If the Spurs were to let him go, I don't have much doubt that someone else would clear a roster spot for a knock-down 3P shooter.

Chinook is probably right, and they keep LJC. I'd keep Garino over him, but they probably won't.
    He's not. I didn't think he would. Pop has pimped him up, but they also need him. It's his opportunity to earn the coach's trust.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Objective no hard feelings. I have given Simmons a fair chance but I just don't like his game. If he didn't feel the need to hero ball and stayed within a team concept I could grow to like him, but sadly he hasn't. He's evolved into a ball dominant player who heroballs and has lost the touch from 3. He's not playing off the ball well at all bc he doesn't space the floor for others and what he's been doing with the ball in his hands has been mostly selfish or a bad pass. He doesn't have the talent to be that high usage. I liked him more b4 Pop tried to turn him into a Ginobili clone which he's not. He used to be a fine off ball player.

I have loved Bertans and actually felt time ago the bench would be better with him at the 4. I like that he's a shooter but stays within a team concept and looks to pass and make plays for teammates as well, and takes his shots within the offense. I have liked many things from many of the new players but there's not one thing I have liked from Simmons except transition scoring and he had that last season too.

Anyways the criticism for him has never risen to the levels Anderson has, who still has like 200 threads against him on a regular basis and props up everywhere with guys hating on him.... so I don't know why you are so hurt. The criticism for Simmons is deserved. I always hated comparison between the two as they were very different players but it was actually a huge Anderson hate brigade that pimped Simmons up basically bc they disliked Anderson, not the reverse.
    No hard feelings from me. And no offense to you or others.

Your complaints about Simmons change nothing I wrote about his game. The Spurs have been the ones having him do this expanded role that you don't like the results of. They wanted to see if he could be more than an energy transition fringe player with decent size.

So far it's maybe looking like he's failed at being more. I'm not so sure, seeing as how he was trash last preseason also. He might just be a bad, nervous, shook camp guy. But let's say he's totally proven that he'll never replace Ginobili in the future as a ball handler and is best as an end of bench energy guy on a minimum deal ...

That's still a very good thing to have. So he gets reined in any back in that role. Great value and a useful piece who barely sees the court when Leonard, Manu and Green are at full strength on the wings with Kyle getting opportunities there also.

That's why calls to cut him aren't 'deserved criticism' but more like sour grapes that Kyle is still at risk for losing minutes to Simmons. After all, Kyle is the legendary point guard skilled wing who has the highest IQ. How on earth does Simmons get ball handling opportunities when Magic Boris Anderson is there? Maybe if he's cut, Kyle won't have to worry about it, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's absurd that think the Simmons criticism is based in Anderson homerism. Jonathon came on the scene in the summer league, where Kyle outplayed him. Then Simmons came into pre-season and played horribly. If anything the desire for him to be cut came from there when Rasual was outplaying him but looked to have no chance at the roster. It just sort of intensified as Simmons continued to come up small while Butler was the one cut for the abortion that was Kevin Martin. So now we have a guy who's middle-aged NBA-wise and has less role-player potential than guys like Forbes and Garino who are four years younger than him and locked into better contracts.

And that once a-freaking-gain underscores why citing Simmons' contract is a horrible argument. Anywhere from 20-40 percent of NBA players make less $1.5 Million. (That's just me spit-balling. It's not going to be much less than that, but it could be much more.) A guy who's "probably is out of a 10 man rotation, even 11 man rotation" is not worth more than the min, especially if he's 27. Simmons is not good value; he's getting paid exactly what he's worth. Does he have a role as an energy player? Sure. Is that a necessary role? Nope. Would some if not most of us rather have a shooter or a defensive big in that spot instead of an energy guy? Yes.

This is really simple: Simmons is not a good player. Not even his biggest supporters are arguing that. It doesn't take a conspiracy theory to explain why so many people want to cut a guy who's not good and who apparently doesn't have upside for younger players who can make more impact in the future and/or bolster players who are currently disappointing or injured.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See you have to go with the comparison again. What Kyle is at this level no one knows exactly. His game is basically unfolding b4 us. We debate for entertainment with guys about him, and the haters are obnoxious and numerous. But he got to the Spurs a very young player being something else to begin with, and has evolved, molded by Pop and is still growing as a player due to his youth, so that is interesting to watch.

Anyways it's on Pop where he's going with Simmons. He is an older player who may have reached the apex on his talents, thus why he's looking more or less the same.

To be fair, Garino is younger than Simmons was last season and has looked better in his rookie preseason than Simmons did his own rookie preseason so I think Garino can be the better player if given an opportunity. I see more potential for a better shooter and defender and the guy is not as prone to mistakes as Simmons is, so I like him more.

But this is Simmons chance and Pop has liked him enough to be hopeful that he can improve, and even articles I read and posted in Simmons church attest to the fact that he's worked hard to improve, so he's not easy to part with for Pop without getting a chance and that he will. I am not wishing that the guy fails, but I haven't liked what he's been doing out there I can tell you that.

Edit: bottom line my opinion on JSimms has nothing to do with Kyle TBH.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 10-22-2016 at 03:48 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I am disappointed in Simmons' play, I'm not ready to let go of him yet. I think Pop feels the same. He's got some things that he does well and I think he'll get one more chance this season. Hopefully he makes the most of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I am disappointed in Simmons' play, I'm not ready to let go of him yet. I think Pop feels the same. He's got some things that he does well and I think he'll get one more chance this season. Hopefully he makes the most of it.
    When I thought he wouldn't get cut even for guys who are deserving (In my mind Garino is deserving on his own merit and would have dethroned Simms last season if they came into the same camp together), but anyways when I thought he wouldn't get cut I always thought of Daye and Ayers and how Pop let go of guys like Jamychal Green bc the other two were under contract, though JGreen was the younger player who had shown improvement, whereas the other two were around Simmons age and pretty much stagnant in development.

Thus I am not convinced that he's worth keeping over Garino, but it's not my call, it's the coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes will not be cut.... The dude can shoot!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's absurd that think the Simmons criticism is based in Anderson homerism. Jonathon came on the scene in the summer league, where Kyle outplayed him. Then Simmons came into pre-season and played horribly. If anything the desire for him to be cut came from there when Rasual was outplaying him but looked to have no chance at the roster. It just sort of intensified as Simmons continued to come up small while Butler was the one cut for the abortion that was Kevin Martin. So now we have a guy who's middle-aged NBA-wise and has less role-player potential than guys like Forbes and Garino who are four years younger than him and locked into better contracts.

And that once a-freaking-gain underscores why citing Simmons' contract is a horrible argument. Anywhere from 20-40 percent of NBA players make less $1.5 Million. (That's just me spit-balling. It's not going to be much less than that, but it could be much more.) A guy who's "probably is out of a 10 man rotation, even 11 man rotation" is not worth more than the min, especially if he's 27. Simmons is not good value; he's getting paid exactly what he's worth. Does he have a role as an energy player? Sure. Is that a necessary role? Nope. Would some if not most of us rather have a shooter or a defensive big in that spot instead of an energy guy? Yes.

This is really simple: Simmons is not a good player. Not even his biggest supporters are arguing that. It doesn't take a conspiracy theory to explain why so many people want to cut a guy who's not good and who apparently doesn't have upside for younger players who can make more impact in the future and/or bolster players who are currently disappointing or injured.
    All I have to say is.....Amen!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why did Forbes go undrafted again? If he develops handles he could get scary

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just absurd that folks are thinking Garino doesn't get cut. Let's assume that there are 2 slots open, there are then 3 players who are at least better than him, Forbes, Laprovittola and Simmons. Murray and LJC are rookie projects so they don't count. Dedmon, who's play is pathetic, is a big. He doesn't count either.

Besides against the Rockets, Brown was just blowing by Garino. I'm certain Spurs like Simmons can easily blow by Garino.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Garino is out

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why did Forbes go undrafted again? If he develops handles he could get scary
    Undersized point guard that spent 4 years in college: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bryn-Forbes-65428/

I guess he didn't pass the eye-test.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just absurd that folks are thinking Garino doesn't get cut. Let's assume that there are 2 slots open, there are then 3 players who are at least better than him, Forbes, Laprovittola and Simmons. Murray and LJC are rookie projects so they don't count. Dedmon, who's play is pathetic, is a big. He doesn't count either.

Besides against the Rockets, Brown was just blowing by Garino. I'm certain Spurs like Simmons can easily blow by Garino.
    Yeah I never really saw the Garino defense everyone was talking about...

Thread Information