Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over the last few games since Aldridge's return, the spurs have placed high priority on him getting him touches. It was decent opportunity to throw him the ball considering the weaker compe ion in those stretch. He was playing like a role player offensively prior in a stretch that got them 8 straight wins.

But let's analyze the offense when he's showcased.

When Aldridge is showcased as an offensive player,

The spurs pass the ball less - This is because he's only getting his shots in two ways, pick and pop and a tough post up shot. There's very little movent involved.

Team's don't respect him - opposing teams this year have shown the discipline to rarely help in an Aldridge post up. They don't want Leonard, Green, Mills to shoot considering their %. They even would rather let him fadeaway than allow Parker to penetrate. This is concerning.

He does not know how to handle double teams or even draw double teams - I am starting to really question this guy's work ethic. Leonard has become significantly more adept at drawing and handling double teams.

Danny Green is not getting rhytem shots - Yup, Green is getting very little room because as pointed out, teams dont care about Aldridge anymore.

Wanna know how? The coaching Stuff Voted for reserves not the media or the fans and they clearly do not respect him anymore. It shows in their gameplan and his All-Star Snub.

I'm a firm believer that in order for this team to win a Championship, they Need Parker, Ginobili, or Murray to be the second guy. It is a bit comical that the above mentioned still have better gravity than Aldridge because players still respect the drive regardless of the player.

This team needs Parker to be the second guy with the Starters. It has to be. Leonard and Parker generate quality offense and contribute better with the flow of the offense because their offense relies on screeners and that tends to generate better offense for the Danny Green of the worlds.

Aldridge can have night where he goes 8-12 in 20 minutes but as evident with the games and the overall score, teams dont really care.
    This all good in theory, but even if you ran a dynamic motion offense, we simply don't have the backcourt fire power to punish (good) teams for collapsing. This team is what it is. A grindy, iso-oriented offense supplemented by what we hope will be a lockdown defense and bigs that will control the glass.

This team needs Parker to be the second guy with the Starters. It has to be. Leonard and Parker generate quality offense and contribute better with the flow of the offense because their offense relies on screeners and that tends to generate better offense for the Danny Green of the worlds.
    I also agree with this point, which is why I've been an advocate for Parker for two seasons now. No other guard can "bend" the defense as spursistan was saying. A healthy, aggressive Parker can, but that version of Tony shows up 1 every 5 games. We're just going to have to try and play 100-90 games in the playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This all good in theory, but even if you ran a dynamic motion offense, we simply don't have the backcourt fire power to punish (good) teams for collapsing. This team is what it is. A grindy, iso-oriented offense supplemented by what we hope will be a lockdown defense and bigs that will control the glass.
    Its got to be somewhere in between. Green and Mills have to get it going while LA does his thing. Kawhi should touch the ball the most and second LA but both have to pass it to Mills, Green, and Parker, without it affecting their confidence and rhythm. And yes much D and rebounding

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Aldridge option puts points on the board at a modest efficiency at best. At the same time, the Aldridge option doesn't create better options for others when he has the ball. The good/smart teams will never double LA, they'll let him take his fadeaways and contested running middle hooks all day and stay at home on shooters.

Typically, you want your best two offensive weapons to be dual threats. Meaning, when they have the ball, they have the threat the score in a variety of ways, and in the process of their threat to score, they create very efficient and easy opportunities (wide open corner 3's, wide open 3's and easy layups) for their teammates. Kawhi is getting better at it but I'd say he's on the bottom tier of stars in this category.

Spurs were fortunate to have three players throughout the Big 3 era that all were dual threats and made life easy for the "others".

This is why I think its imperative for the Spurs to give Murray the keys next year because he's the only player on the roster outside of Kawhi that has that ability to be a dual threat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the spurs got a player named lame. no capital l. it's everything they thought it would be. it's everything i thought it would be. too bad they didn't keep Joseph and make a run at Tristan Thompson. Do any of y'all miss Diaw?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the spurs got a player named lame. no capital l. it's everything they thought it would be. it's everything i thought it would be. too bad they didn't keep Joseph and make a run at Tristan Thompson. Do any of y'all miss Diaw?
    Not at all. Lee has played better than Diaw from last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not at all. Lee has played better than Diaw from last season.
    is Lee playing better than pre-lame Diaw?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The offense was stagnate before they started force feeding Aldridge. The reality is, this team simply doesn't have the goods to run a pace-and-space offense and Parker and Ginobili damn sure don't have the legs, at this point, to be 2nd options. Their only hope for a deep run, is to get the former playing like a star again and in this case, that entails sacrificing some efficiency for volume. Offensive efficiency hasn't been an issue post '14; offensive explosiveness has.

Also, let's not pretend as if Leonard doesn't stagnate the offense, have tunnel vision or the most efficient shot selection, either. He just makes them with much more efficiency and volume.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game 1
    Kawhi 10-13/25pts
    LMA 18-23/38pts

Game 2
    Kawhi 7-18/14pts
    LMA 15-21/41pts

Game3
    Kawhi 9-17/31pts
    LMA 8-21/24pts

Game 4
    Kawhi 7-19/21pts
    LMA 8-18/20pts

Game 5
    Kawhi 12-12/26pts
    LMA 6-21/20pts

Game 6
    Kawhi 9-23/22pts
    LMA 9-18/18pts

Again I stated LMA regressed but that's easy to say because he averaged 40pts and shot 70% the first 2 games....but still even with that said he stayed consistent with Kawhi rest of the series. Each player had a bad game Kawhi was Game 2 and LMA was Game 5..

I find it odd LMA gets criticized more for the series loss than Kawhi does even though Kawhi was runner up for MVP and his expectations were higher. LMA exceeded expectations at first in the series but still averaged 26pts for the 6 games. Stop picking sides and be honest with yourself....

Spurs need LMA to be productive and a consistent 20pts scorer if we want a chance of winning a ring....im willing to force feed him now and try to get him going then try to come postseason..
    get with the program now. Reminding Kawai fans the truth wont help their story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge: 19 points on 21 shots

Kawhi: 29 points on 18 shots

Under no cir stances this jumpshooting softie should put up more shots than Leonard..It is not like the team has been destroying all comers with him getting force-fed like a baby..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Under no cir stances this jumpshooting softie should put up more shots than Leonard..It is not like the team has been destroying all comers with him getting force-fed like a baby..
    Pretty much.

They have a very similar number lf possessions. The difference is that, When Kawhi has the ball there's the posibility of a decent pass out.

Aldridge is almost always shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He was shooting efficiently in the 3 previous games. But he's taking more shots and having higher USG% than Kawhi in the last...7 games.

Kawhi's the only NBA team-leading scorer in the season who isn't the #1 option on his own team.

In the first minutes of this game LMA took 7 shots and Kawhi only...1.
    It wasn't a matchup thing since Kawhi had a smaller defender on him almost all game. In fact, he had Rose on him in the post in a possession, Parker opted to run a P&R with LMA...

Force feed a player while ignoring/not exploiting favorable matchups, it's just stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have a very similar number lf possessions.
    Not really, LMA USG% in the last games has been higher than Kawhi.

There were quarters that Kawhi didn't even touch the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was shooting efficiently in the 3 previous games. But he's taking more shots and having higher USG% than Kawhi in the last...7 games.

Kawhi's the only NBA team-leading scorer in the season who isn't the #1 option on his own team.

In the first minutes of this game LMA took 7 shots and Kawhi only...1.
    It wasn't a matchup thing since Kawhi had a smaller defender on him almost all game. In fact, he had Rose on him in the post in a possession, Parker opted to run a P&R with LMA...

Force feed a player while ignoring/not exploiting favorable matchups, it's just stupid.
    Tbf that has more to do with the fact that the ball is in Rique's hands the large majority of the time, and Kawhi is relegated to standing in the corner, than it does with this being an LMA-oriented offense. Rique loves the two-man game with a big and of course getting his own shots up. Kawhi actually gets up a bunch of shots right after Rique is subbed out mid-quarter even with LMA in there.

It's honestly pretty disgusting to watch him have to 'wait his turn' just to please a washed up, egotistical, fat PG, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard is a human and gets tired all superstars take their turn
    Leonard also plays d unlike most superstars
    Leonard needs LMA and gasol to produce. If they do not they will triple team Leonard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard d has suffered some without Duncan this year and his production when team was adjusting and Leonard was doing to much imo

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge can have night where he goes 8-12 in 20 minutes but as evident with the games and the overall score, teams dont really care.
    Today's safe space poster.
    Last edited by Spurtacular; 03-26-2017 at 03:58 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We saw Pop try the ForceFeed Aldridge early vs Cleveland.
    Made an ad-just-ment and got away from it.
    Team ball, 20 point win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bold this man.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im all for force feeding him to start games as long as LMA is aggressive & establishes himself as a legitimate threat
    Between Patty & Tony P&R Paus 3pt shot, everything Kawhi does AND our overall team play it could only add to keeping defenses of balance
    Force feeding him when he just dribbles once gains no ground & kicks it out to a covered Danny Green is a no go

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An aggressive and effective LMA makes this team extremely hard to beat. A great LMA is almost impossible for GSW to handle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is the offensive pedigree of the supposed great second option we have and we're trying to force-feed...Utter embarrassment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yawn..

I've been trying to tell people here that Aldridge Kills the Spurs offense and that they would be better of ball Swinging with Leonard and Parker..Mostly Leonard because Parker falls in love with Aldridge too much but yeah would rather the ball swing in the pterimter between Leonard and Parker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yawn..

I've been trying to tell people here that Aldridge Kills the Spurs offense and that they would be better of ball Swinging with Leonard and Parker..Mostly Leonard because Parker falls in love with Aldridge too much but yeah would rather the ball swing in the pterimter between Leonard and Parker
    Whatever happened to Aldridge working on his 3PT to shoot them more this year?

even Pau made the adjustment mid-season and eliminated the long 2s off the pop in favor of stepping few feet back for a more efficient shot..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fortunately we have not seen an overdose of this vs Memphis.
    Still too many possessions where Pop calls for "Throw it to LMA and stand around".
    As was stated, if he would drive the defender into the hoop, great. But that elbow turnaround jumper if he misses it puts opponent at a great advantage for their transition O.
    Seems to just kill our chances for O rebound / transition D set up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a good post OP... another reason why it doesn't work...
    even though Lamarcus is not some great offensive threat on the block lately, and you'd figure teams would let him go one on one and not bother to double.. they do double bc coaches in opposing teams teams have figured out that he's also a very poor passer so they blitz him. They help off whoever, in a flash and he coughs the ball up.

Thread Information