My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Examples of my reservations about Devin:

1) Will be ineffective against big wings (3's) due to his lack of strength:

Bad decision-making on offense:

3) Poor finisher, unable to draw fouls:

His real effectiveness lies in defending 1's and 2's:

He can develop. This kid is not a finished product. I get the trepidation though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can develop. This kid is not a finished product. I get the trepidation though.
    Yes, all prospects can develop lol.

I guess my point is that my extreme distaste for Devin centered around the fact that I didn't believe we needed a prospect whose main positive was guarding 1's and 2's. Perhaps I let my preferences get the best of me and pushed me overboard in my distaste towards him. You learn about yourself in every draft is what I said before. This will equip me to temper my preconceived biases of things I like and dislike in prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I guess my point is that my extreme distaste for Devin centered around the fact that I didn't believe we needed a prospect whose main positive was guarding 1's and 2's. Perhaps I let my preferences get the best of me and pushed me overboard in my distaste towards him. You learn about yourself in every draft is what I said before. This will equip me to temper my preconceived biases of things I like and dislike in prospects.
    I think you've been rather informative on all fronts of this player.
    Kudos.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also agree you were right he is not a finished product and he will need time in G League to work out some of his deficiencies. The main thing is he needs to add bulk/core strength which I hope will help him finish better at the rim otherwise will see Walker from last season. One thing I would have him do is to take turns playing PG in GL as he still needs to work on his handles which will hopefully help improve his court vision/assist and he needs to work on mid range game.

I think he will become a legit starter in year two and by legit I mean he could start with good teams not just bad teams. So that gives us a decent little core with him White and Keldon also all being legit starters and hopefully Murray and Luka will have a break out season like Keldon did that would greatly help us in the rebuild process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people keep mentioning the g league, but the nba league starts in 1 month and the g league is a big question mark. I think vassel and Jones may travel and drop to the g league as needed, but it'll be 50/50 and vessel should get plenty of minutes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Examples of my reservations about Devin:

1) Will be ineffective against big wings (3's) due to his lack of strength:

Bad decision-making on offense:

3) Poor finisher, unable to draw fouls:

His real effectiveness lies in defending 1's and 2's:

Idk if you know this, but there's a thing call development. Development will help the player grow and work on his weakness to be a better player. I would not be surpised if you also didn't know that the Spurs are one of the best at developing talents.

another word of advise, every player goes thru devlopment. Look at Lebron, dude had to develop his shooting. For some players its a little why other it alot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True but I am starting to think that by January we going to see a hard shutdown due to COVID so Lort know what will happen in 2021

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's so mind blowing, that people are still question this descision. Vassel is the perfect fit for us. He's an true Sf, SOMETHING that we lack, the close guy to a sf we have are Keldon and Demar, the rest are pg/sg. Vassel was easyily the best pick at, he's got a good upside, needs to work on his dribble and put on some weight but he has the tools.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Idk if you know this, but there's a thing call development. Development will help the player grow and work on his weakness to be a better player. I would not be surpised if you also didn't know that the Spurs are one of the best at developing talents.

another word of advise, every player goes thru devlopment. Look at Lebron, dude had to develop his shooting. For some players its a little why other it alot.
    Deveh...loh...what? What's that? Huh........ interesting.

Come on, man...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Weird you feel this way because I believe our second biggest problem is our inability to stop any other teams guards. It didn't matter how good Dejounte defense was once mills and marco came in it was over.

I remember going through boxscores and looking at what some of these no names guards put up against other teams and man some of these dudes would drop 20 + on the spurs and then not score 20 total points in their next 3 games...

Maybe...just maybe...the ish smith's of the worlds won't be spurs killers anymore after this draft...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird you feel this way because I believe our second biggest problem is our inability to stop any other teams guards. It didn't matter how good Dejounte defense was once mills and marco came in it was over.

I remember going through boxscores and looking at what some of these no names guards put up against other teams and man some of these dudes would drop 20 + on the spurs and then not score 20 total points in their next 3 games...

Maybe...just maybe...the ish smith's of the worlds won't be spurs killers anymore after this draft...
    I felt that way. Then I put my feelings aside and upon further review, I came to the same conclusion you made in this post. Opposing guards kill us.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deveh...loh...what? What's that? Huh........ interesting.

Come on, man...
    Its called development, its clear you don't understand it. Maybe search it up and see what it means. It's really important in life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its called development, its clear you don't understand it. Maybe search it up and see what it means. It's really important in life.
    Is that food? Can I eat it? Tell me more...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that food? Can I eat it? Tell me more...

If your ever find it, let me know.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here's my question who did you want to be picked and why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m good with Vassell and Tre. Vassell’s help defense alone makes this a better team.
    If he hits a shot or two, that’s a bonus. His defensive instincts, ball awareness, rebounding and anticipation will be beautiful to watch. I think those skills will translate to a decent or even high level to the NBA. He, DJ, White and KJ will wreak some havoc and I’m looking forward to seeing it. I’m surprised no one has mentioned his old school Reggie Miller shooting form. Funky, but, effective.

Tre is actually what this squad needs. An actual point guard! If he makes the leap to this level, solid backup pg. very useful!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you for the great write-up. I think we did well at 11 and 41. Wonder if free agency has any big surprises. It's like Christmas as a kid, will I get a bike or socks?

Sorry to hear about Thompson, I don't wish that on anyone.

Thread Information