Page 30 of 376 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, I'm not taking on that POR salary for picks outside of the lottery. While there is some talent in this draft and I am not some great evaluator, from what I have read outside of the lottery this is truly not some special draft on paper.

No freaking way I bail out POR and their awful deals for picks in the 20s

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am curious TD 21... how did that end? and what was the debate?
    (that b4 my time following the Spurs... ty)
    He was steadfast that he'd be re-signed and I was steadfast that he wouldn't be . . . it ended with Mahinmi signing with the Mavericks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was steadfast that he'd be re-signed and I was steadfast that he wouldn't be . . . it ended with Mahinmi signing with the Mavericks.
    Thanks for answering.

This is one offseason that I truly have changed my own mind several times.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did he say? I don't have time to go searching for it. Just summarize what he said in one sentence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PoP would probably go nuts but the only moves that would net those picks would have to be Gasol for Crabbe or Turner. I'd prefer Turner but man is that Crabbe contract an albatross if i've seen one

and Pau would have to opt in or no deal. and i doubt Portland wants to trade with us.
    I think Pau's opt in date is 6.30.17
    Crabbe's contract is horrid, Turner's is slightly less horrible but those picks are great rewards. Would be even better if it was the 15th and 20th but 15 and 26 is fine.

Bigger issue involves Simmons, doing this trade makes it much easier for him to get poached

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's official. Only Kawhi can stop GSW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't read the whole thread but has there been any discussion of Jeff Teague?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't read the whole thread but has there been any discussion of Jeff Teague?
    Nobody brought him up other than in passing. There are better PG in the market...

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klaw

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, I'm not taking on that POR salary for picks outside of the lottery. While there is some talent in this draft and I am not some great evaluator, from what I have read outside of the lottery this is truly not some special draft on paper.

No freaking way I bail out POR and their awful deals for picks in the 20s
    It depends on the trade but I do think draft picks are undervalued because of how cheap they are (less than the NBA minimum) plus the potential there. With the Spurs constantly picking late in the draft they need to find more creative ways to improve the team. The more picks (opportunities) the more likely they find a key piece for the team.

Now unless you think the Spurs are going to get a big name FA in the next 2 off-seasons trading for Crabbe isn't that bad (again depends on the deal). By year 3 he either opts out or it's an expiring, which can become a useful trade piece.

As for finding talent in the 20-30s range, looking at some of the recent drafts.

2011: Faried (22), Jackson (24), Butler (30), Bogdanovic (31), Parsons (38) - 15th pick Kawhi
    2012: Fournier (20), Ezeli (30), Crowder (34), Draymond (35), Middleton (39)
    2013: Dieng (21), Mason Plumlee (22), Hardaway Jr. (24), Gobert (27), Crabbe (31) - 15th pick Giannis
    2014: Hood (23), Capela (25), Jokic* (41)

2015-16 too soon to tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's official. Only Kawhi can stop GSW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends on the trade but I do think draft picks are undervalued because of how cheap they are (less than the NBA minimum) plus the potential there. With the Spurs constantly picking late in the draft they need to find more creative ways to improve the team. The more picks (opportunities) the more likely they find a key piece for the team.

Now unless you think the Spurs are going to get a big name FA in the next 2 off-seasons trading for Crabbe isn't that bad (again depends on the deal). By year 3 he either opts out or it's an expiring, which can become a useful trade piece.

As for finding talent in the 20-30s range, looking at some of the recent drafts.

2011: Faried (22), Jackson (24), Butler (30), Bogdanovic (31), Parsons (38) - 15th pick Kawhi
    2013: Dieng (21), Mason Plumlee (22), Hardaway Jr. (24), Gobert (27), Crabbe (31) - 15th pick Giannis

Still not worth taking on what is guaranteed to be a bad contract and the flexibility SA is about to have. There are clearly established values and no non-lottery pick is worth eating 30M for when you can typically just buy a pick for 3-5M

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for answering.

This is one offseason that I truly have changed my own mind several times.
    If only we kept talley on everything weve debated about. But no, im not going to point to one debate he was wrong about 7 to 10 yrs ago..

Ive called out more things than he has the past 10 yrs, and the ones who have been here can attest to that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs SHOULD have kept Ian, how Pop handled him was a disaster and a waste of a cheap asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Crabbe probably isn't going to opt out of that deal (I think it's an ETA) in a couple of years but you're right, there really isn't anyone in 2018 necessarily worth preserving cap.

When Kawhi is eligible of super max that is probably when paying Crabbe $18.5 million is gonna hurt unless they stretch him (almost certainly wouldn't happen until the final year of his deal when it would only cost $6.1 million a year for 3 years and the spurs would save $12 million plus in 2019.

adding the 15th, and the 26th pick to the 29th pick and Murray, Anderson, Bertans, and Milutinov is a great way to reshape the roster. while still competing for a le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only we kept talley on everything weve debated about. But no, im not going to point to one debate he was wrong about 7 to 10 yrs ago..

Ive called out more things than he has the past 10 yrs, and the ones who have been here can attest to that.
    Heh I was just curious what he meant.

Personally I'd rather Mills not be re-upped at what could be a massive overpay... but Pop loves him. He's frankly the best shooter in the team until Bertans hopefully gets more minutes and hopefully shots .... Danny has declined in his shooting and Forbes didn't shoot well his rookie season and is still a question mark.

I would prefer they sign a better PG if they are going to pay or overpay someone I'd rather he be more well rounded a d a better talent. But I get the feeling Pop loves him and the Spurs likely keep the merry crew back or bring as many of the guys back as they can afford to.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crabbe probably isn't going to opt out of that deal (I think it's an ETA) in a couple of years but you're right, there really isn't anyone in 2018 necessarily worth preserving cap.

When Kawhi is eligible of super max that is probably when paying Crabbe $18.5 million is gonna hurt unless they stretch him (almost certainly wouldn't happen until the final year of his deal when it would only cost $6.1 million a year for 3 years and the spurs would save $12 million plus in 2019.

adding the 15th, and the 26th pick to the 29th pick and Murray, Anderson, Bertans, and Milutinov is a great way to reshape the roster. while still competing for a le.
    Ding ding ding.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs SHOULD have kept Ian, how Pop handled him was a disaster and a waste of a cheap asset.
    Yup.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not worth taking on what is guaranteed to be a bad contract and the flexibility SA is about to have. There are clearly established values and no non-lottery pick is worth eating 30M for when you can typically just buy a pick for 3-5M
    If the Spurs can acquire 2 picks in the 20s of this draft for 10 million then great but if not this isn't a bad option to infuse more youth/talent into this team. I just don't see the value in free agency during this period (upcoming 2 off-seasons) and think the draft is the most efficient route for improving the team (worst case you get stuck with a bust on a sub vet minimum deal).

Even though Crabbe's deal is awful he is a good 3pt shooter, something this team is lacking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Evan Fournier

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs can acquire 2 picks in the 20s of this draft for 10 million then great but if not this isn't a bad option to infuse more youth/talent into this team. I just don't see the value in free agency during this period (upcoming 2 off-seasons) and think the draft is the most efficient route for improving the team (worst case you get stuck with a bust on a sub vet minimum deal).

Even though Crabbe's deal is awful he is a good 3pt shooter, something this team is lacking.
    This type of deal means you are basically staking everything on the core being obtained with draft picks in the 20s to late 20's.

Because Crabbes deal will definitley kill your chances of adding a legit star next to Kawhi. Unless you are willing to just eat money over and over and over which is never a receipe for success.

The flexibility to lure a FA is much more valuable to me than 2 additional picks in the 20s. Higher floor and ceiling.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This type of deal means you are basically staking everything on the core being obtained with draft picks in the 20s to late 20's.

Because Crabbes deal will definitley kill your chances of adding a legit star next to Kawhi. Unless you are willing to just eat money over and over and over which is never a receipe for success.
    The flexibility to lure a FA is much more valuable to me than 2 additional picks in the 20s. Higher floor and ceiling.
    Space isnt as valuable as it once was with new CBA. The great players are incentivized to stay put and the great younger FAs are restricted. FA is a place now where you spend top dollar on average talent. Even with Crabbe though, SA will still have significant space in 18'( TP off books, LA opt out). Even if Green opts in with Crabbe scenario, SA will have over 40 mil in space -- having only 60 million counted towards the cap. Spurs will still have your flexibility.

Plus, outside of 33 yr old CP3 -- who is likely staying in LA, Hayward and Paul George who likely is going to LA, theres no free agents worth max money the next two free agency periods. no to Boogie btw.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Chances to add which legit star? The Spurs would have to gut the team for the chance of offering anyone the max this off-season (CP3 pipe dream?) and it has already been mentioned that the 2018 FA class isn't that special (anyone other than Cousins?). This would also assume the Spurs don't sign either Mills or Simmons and/or don't add on any multi-year deals.

Also lets not act like FA has been favorable for the Spurs, this team became great through smart drafting and development and that is the correct route for the future as well. Another major factor is that Pop is only getting older which is something FAs will factor in when deciding whether to sign here or not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blazers probably don't need to take back salary from San Antonio to dump Crabbe. They can dump him or Turner on Sacramento, Brooklyn or the Knicks among other teams.

Why bother taking back Pau when you can dump with picks for free?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blazers probably don't need to take back salary from San Antonio to dump Crabbe. They can dump him or Turner on Sacramento, Brooklyn or the Knicks among other teams.

Why bother taking back Pau when you can dump with picks for free?
    Spurs can dump Pau before or do a three team trade w/ Pau being dumped to a team that values him if POR does not value him. However, I think POR wld value Pau for one year. No real financial risk, veteran presence, bench value for a year while they maintain flexibility to re sign Nurkic.

Getting Pau to fill that salary for one year, is better than not having anything at all. Also, the trade would happen a week before Pau makes a decision on opting in. Theres a chance Pau opts out if he doesnt want to go to POR and POR clears the space this summer. If he stays opted in, POR still will maintain the flexibility for summer of 18 ti re sign Nurkic -- which was the number one objective to do the trade anyway.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 06-02-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Thread Information