Page 32 of 210 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Because this is more fun and because watching you hang yourself is WAY more fun.
    Bull .

It's because you are lying. the claim is invalid.

You aren't man enough to say you made a mistake.

I read the file again, didn't see it anywhere, besides.... they are talking about modeling vs. observation.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    For every degree of Celsius of warming caused by CO2, you can expect another degree to be caused by the water vapor feedback mechanism.
    I say bull to this. Please support this contention.

Your link only supports what everyone knows about increased humidity. It does not support your 1:1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe if you read it a 3rd time you'll magically understand it. Give it a try.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, the 1:1 ratio I posted is conservative.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Maybe if you read it a 3rd time you'll magically understand it. Give it a try.
    That's OK.

I understand.

You are too childish to give a strait answer. You must play games.

Let me know when you are willing to show you actually comprehend this stuff. Right now, it looks like you only pretend to.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    If anything, the 1:1 ratio I posted is conservative.
    If you say so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't be sad WC. I'm sure some of the other boys and girls want to play with you.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Don't be sad WC. I'm sure some of the other boys and girls want to play with you.
    Yes, I'm sad. I'm sad that I am wasting my time with your childish at ude.

I'm sad that you don't understand the science enough to show us why I'm wrong, if I am.

I'm sad for you that I believe your money for your education will be wasted. Really now, if you can't explain such simple questions, how will you get a job?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I'm sad. I'm sad that I am wasting my time with your childish at ude.

I'm sad that you don't understand the science enough to show us why I'm wrong, if I am.

I'm sad for you that I believe your money for your education will be wasted. Really now, if you can't explain such simple questions, how will you get a job?
    are you going to be interviewing me? If so I'm ed!

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Manny...

For a total 2 C increase, H2O would increase by 13.2% average. If CO2 is 1 C of this increase, and H2O is the other 1 C, then H2O would have to be much stronger than the AGW community gives it credit for. It would have to be so much stronger, that CO2 is almost meaningless.

Do the math. See for yourself. Plot a 13.2% increase vs. a 1 C rise on a logarithmic curve. I used Hansen's formula for CO2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I spent off and on for a week trying to get him to understand how to look at functions as phenomenon modeled through time. How to look at them as multiple variables that are mathematically related.

How scientists use these methods to explain phenomenon and you just cannot take the difference of two completely arbitrary points in time and multiply them by a K value off of a chart and think its predictive of anything.

You have seen the derivatives that they model the oceans with.

He is stuck on the level of

x/225 = .776 therefor

x = 174

If you look at his napkin math they all boil down to this type of thing. This is stuff they already expect you to know in remedial math courses in college and that's his limit.

Not being to explain things to someone who is that simple minded is not reflective of anything other than he being dumb as .

Hey WC, when you take a partial derivative of x of a function of x and y. You treat the variable y as a constant when you do the differentiation BUT is it still a constant AFTER the operation is done?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manny...

For a total 2 C increase, H2O would increase by 13.2% average. If CO2 is 1 C of this increase, and H2O is the other 1 C, then H2O would have to be much stronger than the AGW community gives it credit for. It would have to be so much stronger, that CO2 is almost meaningless.

Do the math. See for yourself. Plot a 13.2% increase vs. a 1 C rise on a logarithmic curve. I used Hansen's formula for CO2.
    Right on cue with the stupid!

DERP!!!!

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I spent off and on for a week trying to get him to understand how to look at functions as phenomenon modeled through time. How to look at them as multiple variables that are mathematically related.
    And what you fail to understnd is that no matter how you look at the other variables, and no matter what you do with the partial derivatives, the variable for the changes in temperature and salinity is a linear multiplier to the rest.

None of the rest matters when you want to see only the changes of temperature.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Looks like Manny put up the white flag.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Right on cue with the stupid!

DERP!!!!
    I'm sorry that you are too stupid to follow what I did. What part do you need me to explain?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Is this what you're calling napkin math FuzzNutz?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I understand why Manny put up the white flag.
    Current climate models suggest that this provides
    an important positive feedback, roughly doubling
    the sensitivity of the surface temperature to an
    increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gases (3–5).
    "Suggest" is such a powerful word. And when coupled with "model," it means so much!

Sorry I missed something so meaningful to you Manny. It seems rather insignificant to me. You know my feelings about climate models. They are made to reflect past observations, and never properly predict the future changes.

I think once he realized the forcing math didn't work, he knew he couldn't make something up to convince anyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ logarithmic forcing math.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FYI, I waved the white flag with you a LONG time ago. I think most have.

Troll
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know my feelings about climate models. They are made to reflect past observations, and never properly predict the future changes.

Yeah, good point. Those past observations are just dead wrong. Besides, the earth is only 4500 years old.

The next step is to find the next hurricane tracking model, few days in advance in landfall and camp out on a beach middle of track just to prove your point.

If you make it ok, it's God's will. If not, he just doesn't like you. It's an unknown, just like a climate model.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    On a more serious side Manny, do you know what an accepted sensitivity is for forcing to degrees? This is an aspect I haven't seen before as definite, and everything I've seen is contradictory to another.

Is there an accepted value out there?

If I use 3.7 w/m-2 for one degree, that limits the radiative downforcing to about 122 w/m-2. However, other studies have the greenhouse effect to somewhat over 320 w/m-2. This would indicate a sensitivity of around 9.7 per degree.

This is a linear function, isn't it?

Anyway, if I go with the 3.7, the constant in Hansen's formula would be 3.12. TAR has it at 3.35 which isn't a dramatic difference. I forget the changes between TAR and AR4 for CO2 forcing without looking it up, but it does yield 1.61 watts/m-2 vs. the AR4 1.66. To get 1.66, the constant is equal to 3.216. If I plot H2O on a more pure logarithmic curve than for CO2, for 13.2% more water vapor (2C response) to equal another 1 degree, I get constant value of 29.84. If I use the same formula for CO2, the constant value is 10.3. Either way, a doubling is pretty high. 5.4 degrees using Hansen's formula vs. 5.6 degrees for a more pure logarithmic formula.

Care to comment?
    Last edited by Wild Cobra; 06-17-2012 at 03:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quoting someone elses work does not speak to your abilities. The you write down as your 'work' is arithmetic and fractions. Its kids learn by 7th grade. Even those in the dummie classes.

You do not remotely understand how things interrelate. You clearly do not understand the significance of log functions and 'linearity.' It is pretty apparent that you are just tossing out terminology and have no notion of the point of them being used in a discussion on modeling.

You should really just punch yourself in the face. You really questioned if a log is linear?

That's not even the point of linearity anyway. You are talking about summing exclusive outputs and not superimposing.

Oh and pray do tell how you get a 'more' logarithmic function than hansen's ln(1+ax+by+cz)? That just sounds like stupidspeak for "i aribtrarily just made up even more numbers."

And you still really really suck at thermodynamics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The relationship between the magnitude of the climate forcing and
    the magnitude of the climate change response defines the climate
    sensitivity. A process that changes the sensitivity of the climate response
    is called a feedback mechanism. A feedback is positive if the process
    increases the magnitude of the response and negative if the feedback
    reduces the magnitude of the response. The concepts behind feedbacks
    as applied to climate change are derived from concepts in control theory
    that were first developed for electronics. By examining separate
    feedback loops, one can gain a sense of the direction of the influence of
    the feedback on a change in the state of the system, whether it is
    reinforcing or damping, and the relative importance of a given feedback
    when compared with other feedbacks. Climate change can therefore be
    viewed as the result of adjustment among compensating feedback
    processes, each of which behaves in a characteristically nonlinear
    fashion. The fact that the climate of the Earth has varied in the past
    between rather narrow limits despite large variations in external forcing
    is evidence for the efficiency and robustness of these feedbacks.
    http://curry.eas.gatech.edu/climate/...13_GalleyC.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Models, of any kind, are only as good as their predictive ability.

James Hansen’s climate forecast of 1988: a whopping 150% wrong

From their Die kalte Sonne website, Professor Fritz Vahrenholt and Dr. Sebastian Lüning put up this guest Post by Prof. Jan-Erik Solheim (Oslo) on Hansen’s 1988 forecast, and show that Hansen was and is, way off the mark. h/t to Pierre Gosselin of No Tricks Zone and WUWT reader tips.

Figure 1: Temperature forecast Hansen’s group from the year 1988. The various scenarios are 1.5% CO 2 increase (blue), constant increase in CO 2 emissions (green) and stagnant CO 2 emissions (red). In reality, the increase in CO 2 emissions by as much as 2.5%, which would correspond to the scenario above the blue curve. The black curve is the ultimate real-measured temperature (rolling 5-year average). Hansen’s model overestimates the temperature by 1.9 ° C, which is a whopping 150% wrong. Figure supplemented by Hansen et al. (1988) .

One of the most important publications on the “dangerous anthropogenic climate change” is that of James Hansen and colleagues from the year 1988, in the Journal of Geophysical Research published. The le of the work is (in German translation) “Global climate change, according to the prediction of the Goddard Ins ute for Space Studies.”

In this publication, Hansen and colleagues present the GISS Model II, with which they simulate climate change as a result of concentration changes of atmospheric trace gases and particulate matter (aerosols). The scientists here are three scenarios:

A: increase in CO 2 emissions by 1.5% per year
    B: constant increase in CO 2 emissions after 2000
    C: No increase in CO 2 emissions after 2000

The CO 2 emissions since 2000 to about 2.5 percent per year has increased, so that we would expect according to the Hansen paper a temperature rise, which should be stronger than in model A. Figure 1 shows the three Hansen scenarios and the real measured global temperature curve are shown. The protruding beyond Scenario A arrow represents the temperature value that the Hansen team would have predicted on the basis of a CO 2 increase of 2.5%. Be increased according to the Hansen’s forecast, the temperature would have compared to the same level in the 1970s by 1.5 ° C. In truth, however, the temperature has increased by only 0.6 ° C.

It is apparent that the next to it by the Hansen group in 1988 modeled temperature prediction by about 150%. It is extremely regrettable that precisely this type of modeling of our politicians is still regarded as a reliable climate prediction.

Thread Information