Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's been watching Philip. Pop might do it here and there but Philip does this pretty much every game.

It's bad for winning games and leads to alot of close calls but it's great for development of the new players to give them confidence down the road. It's gonna lead to some losses but those guys will be alot more useful in the Playoffs.

Pop's gotta integrate a bunch of new guys while developing a slew of young guys...and it's gotta be done by March.
    This is what I think as well(with the exception of watching Phil). Great, insightful post. Pop has to look long term, and big picture. I'm going to let Pop do his thing and see how things develop. I'm not worried

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, what I've seen out of Bonner, in the last 2 playoffs, is more than enough to convince me that he's miscast as a starter. No doubt he'd be a valuable contributor off the bench in a support role. However, it's plain to see that he is woefully overmatched against starting-caliber players, who are quicker and stronger than he is. Like Finley, he is a one-trick pony, who can do little else. Because of that fact, his on-court returns diminish when he isn't hitting his outside shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This does not look like a Spurs team at all.

There looks to be something very wrong chemstry wise, they don't look like they are on the same page or even really like each other much judging by their looks and body language.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is conflict behind the scenes - they look like the Clipper or Warriors or Knicks when those teams had conflicts of personality.
    Come on, we've been through four games and you're already suspecting chemistry issues?

Whether or not that starter is Blair, he needs to continue to see his minutes go up...he's the most productive big outside of Duncan right now.
    Right now, Blair is averaging almost 21 minutes, which is almost the same as Bonner and more than Dice. Do you really expect his minutes to increase even more?

I also think that his stats are a little misleading as they often have been assembled in garbage time. Don't get me wrong, though - I am thrilled with what DeJuan has brought to this team so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing Bonner

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

btw - I was AMAZED at how quickly Spurs fans dismissed Bruce Bowen. As if any player in the league was more frustrating to play against or got away with more calls. The Spurs defense is now average.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrible ing performance. The worst thing for mine is that Pop looks clueless right now... get a real starting lineup in, and stop shuffling your players all the time!

It's really time for Bonner to sit. We are starting games poorly, and a big part of that is his defense. Time to start Dice, give him 30mins a game, and live with his mistakes - it's the only way he's going to get comfortable next to Timmy. As for Finley, I'd rather start Mason. He looks lighter, quicker, and more enthusiastic than Finley right now, and he can really spark the O by making a few set shots or pull-ups.

Manu was really off yesterday, surprisingly so given how good he's looked to start the season, and his body language even smelled of defeat, which is very rare for him. I hope it's just a temporary upset due to the rabies shots or something.

Really though, time to get serious, Pop. Get Dice in there to start at the very least, use Bonner only in situations where his matchup will not be ruthlessly exploited, and stop changing the rotation every two minutes. The guys look like they are confused - give them a solid rotation and let them settle down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio Spurs 99, Utah Jazz 113: the Late Edition
    by Graydon Gordian

Ed. Note: I apologize there was no early edition. I had a quiz on futures markets in 17th century Osaka (Oh, how I wish I was kidding). Tim has children.

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don’t know we don’t know.

-Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

Coming into this season, the San Antonio Spurs faced three types of challenges: known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns. Tim Duncan’s knees are a known known. His degenerative condition can be managed, but not reversed. There are known unknowns. For instance, we all know it’s likely that one of our offseason acquisitions will not meet expectations, but which one?

And then there are unknown unknowns. As in, “I never imagined the Spurs defense would be this woefully inept, even this early in the season.”

OK, so “woefully inept” may be a bit of an overstatement but only a bit. And, in terms of my highly repe ive rhetorical device, both the known knowns and the known unknowns play a significant role in the unknown unknown. (This has grown tiresome.)

Keep reading →

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrible ing performance. The worst thing for mine is that Pop looks clueless right now... get a real starting lineup in, and stop shuffling your players all the time!

It's really time for Bonner to sit. We are starting games poorly, and a big part of that is his defense. Time to start Dice, give him 30mins a game, and live with his mistakes - it's the only way he's going to get comfortable next to Timmy. As for Finley, I'd rather start Mason. He looks lighter, quicker, and more enthusiastic than Finley right now, and he can really spark the O by making a few set shots or pull-ups.

Manu was really off yesterday, surprisingly so given how good he's looked to start the season, and his body language even smelled of defeat, which is very rare for him. I hope it's just a temporary upset due to the rabies shots or something.

Really though, time to get serious, Pop. Get Dice in there to start at the very least, use Bonner only in situations where his matchup will not be ruthlessly exploited, and stop changing the rotation every two minutes. The guys look like they are confused - give them a solid rotation and let them settle down.
    Somehow Pop still believes and trusts that older, experienced, gravity-challenged, players can win out over youth, talent, and athleticism. Quite frankly, it's nice to have a mix of both. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This lineup might actually work, though I'd love to see Manu and TP replace Mason and Finley for a bit

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God bless Tim Duncan

Thread Information