Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can usually predict a strong draft when there is surefire talent at the top, but any other draft you have to see how it fleshes out. A big factor is also where players go. I remember when Chauncey Billups looked like a bad pick for Boston.
    I've also noticed that even in years when everyone says "this is a really strong draft class" the closer you get to draft day, most commentators begin to call it a weak draft. There have only been a couple of truly bad drafts, and I dont think this is one of those years.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It isn't a weak draft class per say. There isn't a 3 for sure lottery talent at the top that stand out as must have. But the talent sampling is pretty decent into the mid to late 1st round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I drank the Koolaid on Holland and Dillingham and would be thrilled if that ended up being our two picks. That said, I doubt Holland is still on the board at 8. Portland will fvck us on draft day at every opportunity and so I’d bet they draft him before we can. I think it’s possible to land both picking Holland with the #4 pick but who knows.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I am on the Holland bandwagon just going back and watching his film I OK with his bigger flaws now then I was initially. The main thing is that he played pretty much the PF all throughout High School so go from that position to being forced to play Point Guard, or the point of attack player. The thing I like is no matter how bad he is on offense you will always see him throws his body around on the defensive side. As many people have stated he will be a great defender on the permiter who you can tell guard the teams best offensive guard

I think the 3 best defensive guards would be Castle, Holland, and Ryan Dunn.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I drank the Koolaid on Holland and Dillingham and would be thrilled if that ended up being our two picks. That said, I doubt Holland is still on the board at 8. Portland will fvck us on draft day at every opportunity and so I’d bet they draft him before we can. I think it’s possible to land both picking Holland with the #4 pick but who knows.
    No chance Holland falls past Portland at 7, that’s his floor I think. I also think Charlotte may take him at 6 but Portland is my bet. They need a big wing desperately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rumors of Holland having bad workouts and not being over himself in the G League.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Increasing rumbles that Holland either has character stufg or other related things that are raising questions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No chance Holland falls past Portland at 7, that’s his floor I think. I also think Charlotte may take him at 6 but Portland is my bet. They need a big wing desperately.
    That would be such a Portland pick. .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The at ude issues are worrisome as well as the total lack of 3-point shooting, but I think Ron has the biggest 'boom-or-bust' potential/highest ceiling in this class (still).

I think if he falls out of the top 3, then you grab him at 4 (those 'reports' might be GM's leaking nonsense so he can fall to them), and a PG (whoever is still available) at 8.

You can find outside shooting with the second round pick(s) - upperclassmen that are good shooters often fall to the round, anyway - or through free-agency.

If Ron's shooting and half-court game comes along, then we'll easily have a potent 1-2-3 punch with Wemby-Vassell-Holland, IMO.

Also, it sounds like Holland is just 'lazy' like McGrady was. Some just are just so naturally gifted they can 'slack off' and still outperform guys giving their all.

He's either a Josh Jackson (out of the league after 4 or 5 years) or he's a Jaylen Brown - type. That is a scary floor, but the Spurs have 'blown' picks on boom-or-bust types before and his ceiling is too high compared to everyone else in this class.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 3 Days Ago at 11:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I learned that Holland's numbers were almost the same as Kuminga's at Ignite, I've thought of them in similar ways. Kuminga also has a reputation of being high on his own farts. Can't say whether they're similar in any regard -- but the AAU god in love with himself thing seems to be in play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    0% chance the Spurs take this guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird to see handwringing over his barely negative assist to turnover ratio as a wing, which is not nearly as bad as Kuminga's was and is more in line with guys like Brandon Ingram and Jabari Smith

Holland 2.9 1st to 3.2 tov

Kuminga 2.5a to 4.3t

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve still yet to see any credible proof that Holland has some terrible at ude. From what I’ve seen, there are 2 reports:

1) Evan Sidery reported he might fall out of the lottery —> IIRC he didn’t mention why, and this can easily be a smokescreen/planted story

2) Some guy from No Ceilings made a vague tweet alluding to off the court issues. When people then pressed him asking for more info, he seemed to back pedal and say that he hasn’t heard anything about his character but there may be work ethic issues

At this point I’m inclined to think him falling out of the lotto is BS, or at the least, unlikely. I don’t think the Spurs need to take him at 4 but if he’s still there at #8 then he should absolutely be at the forefront of the conversation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird to see handwringing over his barely negative assist to turnover ratio as a wing, which is not nearly as bad as Kuminga's was and is more in line with guys like Brandon Ingram and Jabari Smith

Holland 2.9 1st to 3.2 tov

Kuminga 2.5a to 4.3t
    Just to further make the point, but when he was a freshman, Kawhi shot 20% from 3 with an assist to turnover ratio of 1.9 to 2.3.
    Not saying that he'll be Kawhi, but I can see the appeal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reed + Ron 2024

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Champagnie > Holland

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    G League Ignite was 9-23 last year with Scoot Henderson and Leonard Miller leading the way, and 2-32 this year with lottery picks Ron Holland and Matas Buzelis... Hard to believe this is better for development than going to Connecticut or Gonzaga, and playing meaningful games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rumors of Holland having bad workouts and not being over himself in the G League.

Am I just out of the loop on Tyler Rucker? I don't get why there are two threads putting a lot of weight on this tweet. In reality, no one's "slipping out of the lottery". Where the media mocks a player has no effect on where they actually get picked. If Holland gets selected after the lottery, that's likely to be because were never all that high on him or haven't been for months considering his injury. If he does go in the lottery, clearly he didn't "slip". At best this feels like the media trying to insert itself into the product rather than just covering it. At worst, it's just a clout-chaser making a bold claim to gain credibility. The reality is, no front office cares where the mocks had Holland, Collier, James, Topic or anyone else. At most, they'd hope to use it as evidence for where other teams are picking guys to help build their strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    G League Ignite was 9-23 last year with Scoot Henderson and Leonard Miller leading the way, and 2-32 this year with lottery picks Ron Holland and Matas Buzelis... Hard to believe this is better for development than going to Connecticut or Gonzaga, and playing meaningful games.
    You did hear that the NBA disbanded the Ignite, right? The NIL money did them in. Kids can get paid to go to school now, not to just waste a year watching the clock until they are of draft age.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holland will be great in Portland with the other athletes on that team.

Thread Information