Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    SAmikeyp
    guess I am not as old as you are CC! :wink

CosmicCowboyXXX
    They were around till the late 90's...hehehe...how old are you again?

CosmicCowboyXXX
    OK...time to go....

It was Winn's Variety Stores Mikey...

They were a SA based company started in the late 40's...eventually had stores in 5 states..it was a big SA story in the late 90's when they went bankrupt...hundreds lost their jobs...

SAmikeyp
    my apologies sir.

Damn! Winn's....oh man.

Good call bro. I totally missed that.

I am 34 so yes I remember Winn's.

I always get them, Woolworths and Woolco mixed up.

scott
    What restaurant parking lot did I bang Sally Jenkins in back in 10th grade?

For bonus points... what kind of car was it in the backseat of?

Hook Dem
    Christies on Broadway and it was a 64 Volkswagen. Did you kick the headliner out?

Useruser666
    The Winn's distro warehouse is on 410 south wher it splits from IH35. I remember them because I would go to the pet store next to the one on Austin Hwy all the time. Hmmmm what was the name of that pet store?

Hey CC wasn't that Mexican food place called Alfonzo's not "?Alfaros?", or was that a different one? The Alfanzo's were painted puke/sea green. My mom got food poisoning from one a long while back.

What building is located at 300 Alamo Plaza?

Useruser666 :eyebrow

Taz1
    What used to be where the new "enchilada" colored downtown library now stands?
    the old sears & roebuck department store !

Das Texan
    is the alamo at 300 alamo plaza?

i know i worked across the street at 307 alamo plaza......

CosmicCowboyXXX
    as strange as it sounds this link seems to say that 300 Alamo Plaza is the actual "plaza"...

www.sanantonio.gov/sapar/alamoplazareservations.asp?res=1024&ver=true

and Taz you are correct...The new library is where the old downtown Sears used to be...

CosmicCowboyXXX
    Hey CC wasn't that Mexican food place called Alfonzo's not "?Alfaros?", or was that a different one? The Alfanzo's were painted puke/sea green. My mom got food poisoning from one a long while back.
    ahhh...you are correct...it was Alfonsos...Alfaro's didn't sound right when I wrote it the first time and thats why I put ?'s around it...

I blame the momory fart on the everclear in the margaritas...

SpursWoman
    Mmmm.....3am Super Nachos at Alfonso's.

And strawberry Margaritas that we'd go in, buy, and walk back out of the door with.

8o

Guru of Nothing
    What restaurant parking lot did I bang Sally Jenkins in back in 10th grade?
    My guess is The Pig Stand on Broadway.

Taz1
    or, how 'bout der wienerschnitzel ?:eyebrow

CosmicCowboyXXX
    For many years there was something unusual located just north of the entry to Fair Oaks Ranch. What was it?

SAmikeyp
    it was a large metal tower....there were many rumors surrounding what it was to be....everything from an office building to a new airport!

CosmicCowboyXXX
    yep...it was the steel skeleton of an office building. The story I heard is that it was an S&L scam. The promoter arranged financing for the office building...the construction draw schedule was set up to allow him to draw the bulk of the construction funds after the frame was up...he got it that far and then took the rest of the cash and ran...the promoter allegedly had organized crime connections...

CosmicCowboyXXX
    an easy one:

Before the airport was remodeled Airport Boulevard went from 410 directly to the original terminal. This boulevard was divided and had landscaping down the center. There was a row of trees down the center of this divider. What kind of trees were they and what happened to them?

TacoBeer
    ^^Just a guess but were they Pecan Trees?

CosmicCowboyXXX
    *BZZZZZ*

nope

SAmikeyp
    palm trees.

CosmicCowboyXXX
    yep...and what happened to them?

SAmikeyp
    I hope they were transplanted...but I fear they were cut down in the name of progress.

CosmicCowboyXXX
    actually it was an act of god...they were originally a semi-"native" palm tree specie that could stand pretty bad cold weather...they were planted when they were small and grew to be very big... but about 20 years ago we had a reallly BAD spell of cold weather...12 days straight that it never got over 20...killed the out of them...the city spent hundreds of thousands replacing them with new palm trees the same size that WEREN'T "native" and cold resistant...the first cold snap the next year killed them all...it was a big scandal...

CosmicCowboyXXX
    speaking of city screwups...what did they tear down to build the UTSA downtown campus?

Thread Information