Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    solid handles, good passer/court-vision... was fairly lanky at a young age with good hops, so defense around the rim was there... that's about all the positives tho

terrible shot, poor finishing around the rim, no post game, tbh...

I ended up doing much better as a goalkeeper and eventually striker in poorball...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Honestly, basketball is 50% athleticism.

If you're under 6'3, you're already ed...
    Scola - 0 athleticism
    Nate Robinson - mega short

And they are still both above average NBA players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm basically a swiss army knife, playing mostly Big-PG or Point-Forward. You could descipe it as a melt of Penny Hardaway, Scottie Pippen... or just a mix of Andre Miller and Boris Diaw. Somewhat the olds men game, while not looking like a really old man.

Strengths

- Knowledge of the game...I'm a coach for over 12 years now and that shows in reading/pacing the game and leading temmates on the court...Also with the smarts to read the game, using Fakes etc. (I'm just acting like I'm stupid on ST )

- Good Passer...and always ready to make the extra pass (Spurs style ^^)

- Handles...I could go the crazy route (mixtape style) but will just do whats necessary ingame. Good penetrator.

- Steady shooter...Won't take a lot of in your face shots, but can make a shot from anywhere if left open. Only a really good shooter from FT-Line (above 85% and the guy to close out games with clutch FTs...didn't miss any of these) and Corner-3s (around 50%).

- On my team I'm kind of a lockdown-D-guy, but its more about smarts and toughness/experience than athletism. I wouln't really call me a great defender, but while beeing a defense first coach, I'm giving my all on that end of the court.

- Endurance...can play the whole game (and do so often, since we don't have another PG my coach trusts it)

Weakness

- Even while beeing tall for my position, I'm not the guy that outjumps or outruns the young bugs. (right now I'm doing some extra workout which helps)

- I tend to overpass sometimes, sometimes trying to go through games without scoring at all.

- While beeing ok with defending wings and even a lot of bigs, I don't like pressuring PGs as I'm not fast enough.

Conclusion

I think I'm a well rounded player, that doesn't have huge holes in his skills (maybe athletism wise) but outside of passing/handles also no great super-skills. My biggest strenght should be the floor general thing with my biggest weakness beeing a sometimes too passive game. People I play with always tell me, they like to play with me, which should come from the pass first menthality. Coaches always tell me to shoot more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Honestly, basketball is 50% athleticism.

If you're under 6'3, you're already ed...
    that and if you cannot handle the ball both hand... I'm worst than Lin in that category... forget about my left hand... cannot do anything right with it... well maybe I can handle some jerking off job with it but that's about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that and if you cannot handle the ball both hand... I'm worst than Lin in that category... forget about my left hand... cannot do anything right with it... well maybe I can handle some jerking off job with it but that's about it.
    yeah if you are a pg and cant handle the ball with both hands, you are pretty much ed...

The combination of both short and mediocre dribble is end story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scola - 0 athleticism
    Nate Robinson - mega short

And they are still both above average NBA players
    Scola is tall and Robinson is a super-athlete..

If you're under 6'3, you better be in the most elite tier of quickness/athletism, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah if you are a pg and cant handle the ball with both hands, you are pretty much ed...

The combination of both short and mediocre dribble is end story.

as you said I'm pretty ed I can play globally two positions: PG or SG, SF if really opponent is small. So for playing PG I don't have left hand and to play SG I don't have any 3s.... definition of sucking at basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scola is tall and Robinson is a super-athlete..

If you're under 6'3, you better be in the most elite tier of quickness/athletism, tbh..
    Robinson is indeed a freak... dude can dunk the ball... speaking of bad example taken by Kamnik

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btw nice thread

not the first one like that but it is nice to talk about playing ball

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    btw nice thread

not the first one like that but it is nice to talk about playing ball
    I agree and although some probably are seeing their game with their "mind's eye" more than reality I think most gave some honest criticism of their games. I just think the strengths maybe embellished a bit. At least no one (not joking) is talking like Kenny does on TNT. Kenny was a beast at UNC but to hear him tell it he was great in the league as well when he was just above average tbh ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree and although some probably are seeing their game with their "mind's eye" more than reality I think most gave some honest criticism of their games. I just think the strengths maybe embellished a bit. At least no one (not joking) is talking like Kenny does on TNT. Kenny was a beast at UNC but to hear him tell it he was great in the league as well when he was just above average tbh ...

all depends on what is the opposition tbh

You can be beast, hit the 3s, have a wet 15-20 ft jumper, good handling etc... against poor opposition, vs. decent opposition all is more complicated. All is of course relative but I believe most here are quite honest just embelishing a bit.

I can say I suck because my weaknesses are obvious even against poor opponent

I play ball for the fun, I never practiced a lot because younger I was in swimming and rugby, I started late with some horse compe ion and a bit of poor level street ball. Dudes that take it too seriously are annoying as ... if you play in this poor level street ball don't complain level is bad... no sherlock

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson is indeed a freak... dude can dunk the ball... speaking of bad example taken by Kamnik
    The guy wrote you are ed if you are under 6'3. Chris paul is 6'0.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy wrote you are ed if you are under 6'3. Chris paul is 6'0.
    he said also: Honestly, basketball is 50% athleticism.

I believe he is knowledgeable enough to know that there are succesful under 6'3 guys

As a whole if you are not an athlete and under 6'3 you ed that's what he meant

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pros:
    Pretty good shooter 3 point shoot stayed between 400-500% through High-school
    Good slasher mostly from lateral movements and was very quick changing directions
    unselfish good passer.
    Quick First step
    Pesky Defender- I would frustrate so many people that I was guarding
    Slightly above average Athletic- could dunk in game at 5'7
    High Stamina - could usualy play a whole game if needed without it effecting me that much
    Dedicated -Would work hard on my game just about every other day for hours at the gem

Weaknesses:
    I'm a shorty at 5'8
    My strait on foot speed was never that great
    Can be pretty streaky at times
    Never could develop good ball handling skills
    Height
    Height
    Height

Biggest con of all for me would be that it's been years ago since I have even shot a ball let alone play and now I would say after If shook off all the rust I would be about 60-70% the player I was. Maybe less
    Last edited by Chomag; 09-09-2014 at 01:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strengths:

I'm usually one of the biggest players i play with (6'2) but i can get to the rim and finish like a guard

Good Jumpshot from Midrange and 3

Decent Post Game, Decent Passer

Good Rebounder

Weakness:

Get bored on D

Not the best handler

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor man's scalabrine.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm a 6'2 version of God when I play on the court. If I was just 4 inches taller I would have made it to the NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be cool, if Tim Duncan or Matt Bonner outed themself as a ST-reader/poster using this thread.

"Some may call me Russel 2.0 or Olajuwon 2.0,...but I think I'm more than that."

...just to give you an example for a Bonner quote!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm 6'1", which was tall enough to play the post in HS (early 90's) but was rail thin (160lbs in HS):

My game has evolved since HS (now I weigh 215). I play every Sunday and now my game looks like this:
    Strengths:
    -good post moves (mostly baby hooks in the middle, or off the glass from the rt block, spin move baseline for reverse layup, don't use the up & under as much as I used to)
    -great mid range shooter (catch & shoot, coming off screens, turnaround fadeaways, etc.)
    -streaky 3 pt shooter (I have games where I hit everything even with a hand in my face, and the next game I go 1 for 5)
    -willing passer, love to hit cutters to the basket (Boris Diaw bounce pass style)
    -always to look to feed guys in post (I know what it's like to play with guards that ignore the post players)
    -good bball IQ (I used to coach Jr High and HS bball, so sometimes I'm the guy over coaching everyone on the floor)
    -try to constantly move without the ball if I'm not in the post (guys hate guarding me because they don't want to chase me)
    -tough & overly physical defender (another reason guys hate when I guard them, I will typically deny them the ball on the strong side, and I box out on every shot anywhere on the court)
    -good help defender who communicates on switches and calls for help (I take pride in defense)
    -decent lateral quickness on D for my age (guys tell me I'm quicker than I look)

Weaknesses:
    - ball handling is still average at best
    - even slower now end to end
    -overly honest in calling my own fouls (fouls I commit against others). It pisses off my teammates...
    -if my guy gets a step on me, I'm toast on the perimeter (better off guarding post players)
    -can't finish on a drive in traffic to save my life (blown layups)
    -tend to overpass in traffic leading to turnovers (ala Manu)
    - 2 bad knees (takes me 3 days to fully recover from the soreness)

Been told my game reminds people of Kevin Love (when my 3ball is on, lol)

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor man's Bavetta (present day)

Spurs > Yankees > Knicks Technique's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm 6'1 190lbs. Good combination of strength and speed. Great defense, patrick beverly like pressure. I shoot the 3 like korver n drive like my favorite player tony french toast parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can drive with either hand and finish with either in traffic. Use to be light quick but the college pounds have made me add some bulk/gearth. I'm usually a point guard type but I have a postgame that can get me out of bad situations vs taller players. I hate playing in games with players that have that me first mentality.

Streaky shooter with a euro game...

Defensively I can guard anyone (quick feet, long hands, 6"0" with shoes).
    We'll have to give ST a hoop video one of these days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strengths:

+ Knockdown, complete (off the dribble, off screens, spotting up) shooter, with unlimited range and a lightning quick release

+ Low post moves

+ Passing, both stationary and off the dribble

+ Rebounding and defending, though more so out on the perimeter

+ Steals, both on an off ball, without recklessly gambling

+ Speed, quickness, vertical and second jump

+ IQ

+ Maximum intensity and unselfishness

Weaknesses:

- Ball handling

- Finishing at the rim

- Maximum intensity and unselfishness

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's always funny seeing basketball regulars that can't play PG, despite being under 6 feet, tbh..

5'8 s playing in the post..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information