Page 4 of 207 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    BFLT...you mentioned maybe 8-10 commits in Feb. Which guys were you thinking?

BFLT...you mentioned maybe 8-10 commits in Feb. Which guys were you thinking?

Well Raulerson is already in, obviously. I think RSJ, Darius James, Kent Perkins, Durham Smythe and Deon Hollins Jr. commit at the First Junior Day. That would give Texas 6 commitments conservatively.

At the Second Junior Day, I think West Mesquite teammates Eldridge Massington, and Kameron Miles receive offers and commit. That would give Texas 8 by the end of month.

I expect a few surprise commitments too, there's always surprises. I've predicted Tyrone Swoopes as a surprise commitment, and I'll stick with it until I hear something differently. The word is Harsin really wants Swoopes, and believes he'll land him.

Additionally, I'm hearing good things on Justin Manning. A commitment at JD1 wouldn't surprise me. With Manning in the fold Bo Davis could focus on flipping Golden, the spring evaluations and OOS players.
    Last edited by billfromlaketravis; 02-05-2012 at 11:42 AM.

I'd add that I expect Texas to sign 2 QBs in the 2013 class. McCoy will be a junior this season. While I'm optimistic on Overstreet, I think he's a niche QB, at least early in his career. I like the Junior Day QB invitations. Swoopes, Barrett and Hill are the 3 best dual threat QBs in the state, and it's not really close.

I think the plan is to get Swoopes, and then get Kenny Hill.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I know Manning was considered a heavy OU lean, but the problems there combined with his brother not having the best of experiences in Norman might take away from that. Add that Wyatt was the brother's recruiter when he went to OU so he knows the family and Texas making him #1 DT priority and you have a recipe for pulling an upset.

If Howell is the last DT we lose between now and Feb of '13 I wonder how many DTs they'll take in this class.

south central hood rat the chronic's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    supposedly manning did not make the OU junior day this weekend.

for those that don't know, he is the brother of demarcus granger

Wow, that's a big development if true.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I saw that Marcell Harris is not coming to the first JD on the 12th nor is he listed on the 2nd JD. Can we assume that his interest in Texas is fading or are we still a legit contender for him? I am curious to what everyone thinks though. Is he the better of the safties that include Baltimore and Miles? From his video, the ball seems to find the way to the ground when he is in on a tackle and that is what Texas needs. More strips and more turnovers. Reminds me of the 2005 defense. They were constantly stripping and forcing fumbles. I know he is an OOS recruit but from his talk on Texas, he seems to be high on us. Hmmmm...

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I think he is skipping out on the junior days because he has been to Austin a few times already. I might be wrong but he should be coming to Austin later on in the semester for a few days instead of 1 day.

I saw that Marcell Harris is not coming to the first JD on the 12th nor is he listed on the 2nd JD. Can we assume that his interest in Texas is fading or are we still a legit contender for him? I am curious to what everyone thinks though. Is he the better of the safties that include Baltimore and Miles? From his video, the ball seems to find the way to the ground when he is in on a tackle and that is what Texas needs. More strips and more turnovers. Reminds me of the 2005 defense. They were constantly stripping and forcing fumbles. I know he is an OOS recruit but from his talk on Texas, he seems to be high on us. Hmmmm...

Harris and his family visited Texas in January during the Army All American Combine which is held in San Antonio. Juniors participate in the Combine, seniors play in the bowl. The Harris Family also visited Texas during the summer. The Texas coaches told the Harris that he didn't need to attend a Junior Day to receive his offer. Harris was offered by Texas last week immediately following National Signing Day. Texas would like Harris to visit during the June camps. If he makes it during June, he could be on campus 3 days rather than 1 day for a Junior Day. Obviously a better visit situation.

A lot of people are going to compare Harris' recruitment to Nelson Agholor's. Agholor made it pretty plain that he wants to be a WR. It could be the reason Texas pulled out. Harris wants to be a safety, Akina wants him as a safety. I don't think we'll pull out. I think Texas works this one until the end.

I like Miles better than Baltimore. Baltimore is a little faster, but Miles is a better player in my opinion. Both will be at JD2.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

DE DJ Ward of Lawton, OK was not there either. I'm still trying to gather up some info on who was offered in Norman this weekend and who wasn't.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Add OL Patrick Morris of Denton Guyer to the second Junior Day list:

Junior Day #1 (February 12th)

QB, Tyrone Swoopes, Whitewright
    RB, Dontre Wilson, DeSoto
    WR, Jake Oliver, Dallas Jesuit
    WR, Ra'Shaad Samples, Dallas Skyline
    TE, Durham Smythe, Belton
    OL, Darius James, Killeen Harker Heights
    OL, Kent Perkins, Richardson Lake Highlands
    OL, Ishmael Wilson, Dallas Bishop Dunne
    OL, Josh Thomas, Evangel Christian (Shreveport, LA)
    OL/DL, Jake Raulerson, Celina
    OL/DL, A'Shawn Robinson, FW Arlington Heights
    DT, Justin Manning, Dallas Kimball
    DT, Vincent Taylor, San Antonio Madison
    DE, Deon Hollins, Jr., Fort Bend Marshall
    DE, DJ Ward, Lawton (Lawton, OK)
    LB, Naashon Hughes, Killeen Harker Heights
    DB, Will Barrows, Dallas Skyline
    ATH, Ricky Seals-Jones, Sealy

Junior Day #2 (February 25th)

QB, JT Barrett, Wichita Falls Rider
    QB, Kenny Hill, Southlake Carroll
    WR, Eldridge Massington, West Mesquite
    TE, Jeremiah Gaines, Red Oak
    OL, Patrick Morris, Denton Guyer
    DT, Kerrick Huggins, Dallas Skyline
    LB, Brett Wade, Kennedale
    DB, George Baltimore, Mansfield
    DB, Kameron Miles, West Mesquite

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Quotes from TE Durham Smythe before the first Junior Day. Safe to say he's going to be offered since he's speaking with Mack and the staff has already emphasized they're going to be focusing on TEs in 2013. Just FYI that Smythe's father played at Baylor and is a doctor.

"About two weeks ago, Manny Diaz came during school. They pulled me out of class and it was more of a casual o. About a week after that, my coaches called me in and told me they had invited me to the February 12 junior day. I've talked to coach (Bryan) Harsin, I've talked to coach (Mack) Brown a little," Smythe said. "I'm just excited to meet all of them and see what happens on Sunday."

"I like Texas, Stanford and TCU. I also like Notre Dame but I haven't talked to them as much. I'm going to talk to them this week and find out more what's going on there," Smythe said. "I would like to look around all four schools I'm interested in before I make a commitment but I'm not one of those people who plans on dragging it out."

"There's a number of things I like about Texas. With me, my decision is going to come not just from the football program, which is obviously a big part of it, but also academics," Smythe said. "Texas is a fantastic school. Coach Brown was talking to me the other day, I told him I might want to go to medical field - he talked about the doctors that have come through the program under him. I think there are five doctors and two dentists. Also the prestige of the program. And I know David Ash pretty well."

"If I had to focus on one thing, it would probably be versatility. I can play the regular tight end position, which I do the majority of the time. In certain sets in high school I'll flex out into the slot or wide receiver positions," Smyth said. "I'm weighing 227 right now. I'd also like to put on more weight and become a better blocker."

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Per Hook 'Em 24/7, there will not be any DBs at the first Junior Day this weekend. I'm taking off CB Will Barrows from Dallas Skyline. I'm also highlighting OL Josh Thomas in red because it's not a sure thing he will attend and there's more talk that he may not be offered.

Junior Day #1 (February 12th)

RB, Dontre Wilson, DeSoto
    WR, Ra'Shaad Samples, Dallas Skyline
    TE, Durham Smythe, Belton
    OL, Darius James, Killeen Harker Heights
    OL, Kent Perkins, Richardson Lake Highlands
    OL, Ishmael Wilson, Dallas Bishop Dunne
    OL, Josh Thomas, Evangel Christian (Shreveport, LA)
    OL/DL, Jake Raulerson, Celina
    OL/DL, A'Shawn Robinson, FW Arlington Heights
    DT, Vincent Taylor, San Antonio Madison
    DE, Deon Hollins, Jr., Fort Bend Marshall
    LB, Naashon Hughes, Killeen Harker Heights
    ATH, Ricky Seals-Jones, Sealy

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The following are the Texas natives who received offers from OU this weekend:

OT, JJ Gustafson, Dallas Jesuit
    S, Erik Huhn, Cibolo Steele
    ATH, Jacorey Warrick, Cypress Falls

The following are notable prospects that attended OU's Junior Day and were NOT offered:

WR, Marcell Ateman, Wylie East
    WR, Eldridge Massington, West Mesquite
    S, George Baltimore, Mansfield
    S, Kameron Miles, West Mesquite
    ATH, Chevoski Collins, Livingston

The following are the main UT targets that already have OU offers:

OT, Kent Perkins, Richardson Lake Highlands
    Last edited by TFloss32; 02-06-2012 at 01:39 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Both ATH Ricky Seals-Jones and OT Ishmael Wilson attended LSU's Junior Day this past weekend. Seals-Jones picked up an offer and Wilson did not.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    its a surprise that some of these guys didnt receive a offer. Is it some type of strategy behind it or did the guys just look unimpressive at the Junior days? I see JJ Gustafson received a offer from Ohklahoma. I like his skill set and nastiness.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I think LSU might have left the door open for Texas on Ishmael Wilson by not offering this weekend. Maybe they just didnt do there homework on him, Considering that Ishmael Wilson is one of the best offensive lineman in the state and probably would have committed to LSU because of his love for the school which has been openly publicized. Kids usually cherish that first offer, I just think its a big deal that may play in Texas' hands by him not being offered when LSU had a opportunity.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I think LSU might have left the door open for Texas on Ishmael Wilson by not offering this weekend. Maybe they just didnt do there homework on him, Considering that Ishmael Wilson is one of the best offensive lineman in the state and probably would have committed to LSU because of his love for the school which has been openly publicized. Kids usually cherish that first offer, I just think its a big deal that may play in Texas' hands by him not being offered when LSU had a opportunity.
    It's definitely best case scenario for the UT staff right now. The only question is; how long will Wilson allow LSU to slow-play him? He's made it clear LSU is where he wants to be, so I worry that they can grab him whenever they want even if he does commit to Texas at some point. The good thing is he's friends with Norman and Riser and does like Texas. I'm not factoring him into the equation right now but UT will give it their best shot this weekend and continue to stay on him.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Some random notes from Hook 'Em 24/7 this morning:

**Duane Akina and the UT staff are searching high and low for DBs right now which is one of the reasons why there won't be any attending the first Junior Day. Not only do they like several in-state prospects that are pure DBs such as S George Baltimore and S Kameron Miles, but they are also in the process of evaluating prospects who play positions other than defensive back (QB, WR, etc.). Worth noting that the staff is receiving interest from at least three out-of-state DBs in additon to S Marcell Harris.

**Texas is pushing hard for RB Dontre Wilson right now. He had conversations with both Applewhite and Chambers last week and it was made clear to him that he will be receiving an offer on Sunday. UT is one of his favorites because of the DeSoto connection and he has many friends that are currently Longhorns, but Oregon continues to be a factor in his recruitment. He's scheduled to unofficially visit their campus in March and he'll also make a trip to Oklahoma State on February 18th.

**RB Keith Ford is not expected to be in Austin on Sunday. Not a lot of detail has been given about his thought process, but Texas doesn't have a lot of momentum here seeing as how he's a Florida native and their RB depth chart is stacked for at least two more years. He's thought to be favoring OU, Notre Dame and the main Florida schools. Alabama is supposed to be getting involved soon as well.

**WR Jake Oliver and DT Justin Manning reportedly received official offers from the UT staff this past Friday before their scheduled trips to Norman. Luckily for UT, Manning did not make the trip as we've discussed above and he was supposedly pretty pumped about hearing from the Longhorns. Oliver is still considered to be a UT lean.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Bo Davis named as one of Rivals' "Top 25 Recruiters of the Year." He had one of a year for the 2012 cycle pulling Brown, Boyette and Torshiro. Also helped Searels convince Mack to go JUCO with Hawkins and Moore.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...sp?CID=1328171

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Here's a good post worth reading from El Mahico who is one of the "insiders" over on OrangeBloods. He's known to have connections to Akina.

word going around that he (Raulerson) is already helping Texas make up some ground on a few guys. Also, person i talked to this morning said Texas has as many as 7 guys just ready to make it official. And they aren't jags. Think top 25 in the LSR.

Said he expects to come out of junior days with about 10-12 commits and then start evaluating some OOS recruits and other kids in the state. Going to be an interesting spring.

in terms of the team, he said reports are that Ash is really responding well to the tweaks made in his delivery. Ash also was working with a QB coach over the last couple of weeks to keep the ball up high so he can get rid of it faster. He's responding well. Said he expects a big year from the true sop re.

Said a few guys are really having a tough go of it with the workouts. Said there have been reports that a few guys aren't showing up consistently. Might be something to keep an eye on because this team isn't going to let that fly. I asked him if he thought some attrition would be happening after the spring and he said:

"i think that's fair to say at this point. Some guys just really are having a hard time buying in right now. Part of that was the laid back culture they experienced in 2010. The spring of 2010, we probably had a consistent 60-70% turn out for volunteer workouts. The spring of 2011 was better, but still not great. That just can't happen. More than anything, that's what killed the 2010 and 2011 seasons. It's clear that the guys who don't want to work are going to be left out. That's why so many left the program after this year. They just didn't want to work for it. It was just about PT. Those guys didn't want it bad enough. And i'm sure there's a few more that will end up leaving. "

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Good to hear about ash, I'm a big fan of his hope he steps up.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I really like Mahico and utx's insider reports. You should keep posting them, they are spot on. Through them we found out that ME Jr was giving us a hard time scheduling an in home visit. We were out of the picture by then.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It's definitely best case scenario for the UT staff right now. The only question is; how long will Wilson allow LSU to slow-play him? He's made it clear LSU is where he wants to be, so I worry that they can grab him whenever they want even if he does commit to Texas at some point. The good thing is he's friends with Norman and Riser and does like Texas. I'm not factoring him into the equation right now but UT will give it their best shot this weekend and continue to stay on him.
    Good point. Texas was able to get Kendall, Daje, and Dalton late in recruiting based off of their initial love for the school. Still in all, people are different, and hopefully he looks at it as a insult and develops a "prove u wrong" type of at ude about it. It helps that he has friends within the program as well.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    More from El Mahico. Exciting if true.

good grief. Bo Davis, Searels and Wyatt coupled with Applewhite and Diaz are making some serious noise around the state right now. I cannot express how much more gifted these coaches are all the way around than the previous staff. If what I heard just now was true, the first junior day is going to be the best Mack has had yet.

If I'm Texas, I find a way to keep Diaz, Applewhite, Wyatt, Searels and Davis as long as I can because whatever these guys are doing it's making an impact on coaches and players at the HS level. They are putting on a clinic in the state now that these guys have been together for a year. Next weekend is going to be exciting.

Thread Information