Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well i use my 360 for games/movies/netflix so booya!

now i know blueray players are expensive but why buy a console and not play games on it? did you really buy it for just the blueray capabilities? and if so can you really tell that much of a difference from dvd to blueray because if your naked eye can't then you just wasted a buttload of money and could've just gone out and bought a $30 dvd player that could also play DivX and whatnot.

i haven't been impressed yet by the ps3 except that it doesn't get rrod like the 360. all in all i am still happy i got a 360.
    This is false. Unless the DVD is an upconverting model, there will be a noticeable difference in detail.

And yes, even on my modest 42" plasma, the difference between DVD and Blu-ray is noticeable. Please do not spout assumptions that are based upon your own thoughts as if they are universally true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does PS3 officially support most codecs (XViD, x264, Divx, etc) and containers (mp4, mkv, avi, wmv, etc.)? The 360's video streaming is cool, but it sucks that it doesn't play everything.
    I meant BluRay movies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    now i know blueray players are expensive but why buy a console and not play games on it? did you really buy it for just the blueray capabilities? and if so can you really tell that much of a difference from dvd to blueray because if your naked eye can't then you just wasted a buttload of money and could've just gone out and bought a $30 dvd player that could also play DivX and whatnot.

of course you can tell the difference. It's like night + day

and yes, bluray was big reason to buy ps3.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    of course you can tell the difference.
    I can tell the difference, I just don't give a about it. It's not like DVD is bad quality by any means. And given the comparative cost/hassle of blu-ray, I'm even less inclined to care about it's moderately better picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is false. Unless the DVD is an upconverting model, there will be a noticeable difference in detail.

And yes, even on my modest 42" plasma, the difference between DVD and Blu-ray is noticeable. Please do not spout assumptions that are based upon your own thoughts as if they are universally true.
    ah it it all looks the same... don't lie. haha.

so what you're really trying to defend is the fact that the ps3 is a good blu-ray machine and not much else. i get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can tell the difference, I just don't give a about it. It's not like DVD is bad quality by any means. And given the comparative cost/hassle of blu-ray, I'm even less inclined to care about it's moderately better picture.
    exactly!

The People's MVP {G.O.A.T} kobe_bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    PS3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ah it it all looks the same... don't lie. haha.

so what you're really trying to defend is the fact that the ps3 is a good blu-ray machine and not much else. i get it.

I don't buy Blu-ray for every movie. However, some movies are worth paying the extra for, for the (much) better picture and sound. I wouldn't buy a movie like Dark Knight on DVD. For comedies or movies that don't demand a "wow" effect, DVD is fine.

At the very least, it's nice to have the option of buying Blu-ray, and having a great gaming system to boot.

I feel like this is the generation of "good" consoles. There are no stellar standouts. The Wii is the most user-friendly, has by far the best party factor, and has a few absolutely stellar les... and not much else. It's game library is choked, and it is very graphically limited.

The 360 is a fantastic online experience, clearly better than the Ps3 or the Wii and currently has the best library of games with great graphics. Normally these would be enough to secure any system a lock to win the console war, however, the RRoD plague hurt the 360 as much as anything could have.

The Ps3 has has similar graphics to the 360, supports Blu-Ray, is a rock-steady system that has an extremely low failure rate, and has a smaller library of stellar, exclusive les. However, the caveat here is obviously the gaming library doesn't compare yet to the 360s, and the online experience, while improving, still doesn't compare to Xbox Live.

So all three systems have reasons they're great and all three have reasons they suck.

Which is why I still favor PC over any console. Fast, stable, graphics that are far ahead of anything the other three are capable of, and still the best online experience around. Not only that, but the user interface is miles ahead of even the best controller for a console. For several genres, console shouldn't even be an option. I can't get over trying to play CoD4 with a joystick. It's just awful.

In Manu we STILL trust! rayray2k8's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I recently got a PS3 and freaking love it!!
    Call of duty 4 is unreal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I recently got a PS3 and freaking love it!!
    Call of duty 4 is unreal.
    It's on the 360 and Live is better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand why ppl say there is little difference between DVD and Bluray. The difference is miles. Watched Bram Stocker's Dracula and I could not beleive the colors and I was actually admiring the set design, something that would never be noticeable on regular DVD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand why ppl say there is little difference between DVD and Bluray. The difference is miles. Watched Bram Stocker's Dracula and I could not beleive the colors and I was actually admiring the set design, something that would never be noticeable on regular DVD.
    how is that movie in hd when hd wasn't around back when that was filmed? i don't get it.

the only time i notice anything of a difference in hd is with sports... movies i can tell on some but overall it doesn't matter to me either way because i don't 1) buy dvd's or blu-ray discs, 2) don't care how sharp a blade of grass is on the screen, and 3) it just ain't worth the money to buy a blu-ray player right now unless you buy the ps3 and i already have an xbox360 so i won't be purchasing a ps3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how is that movie in hd when hd wasn't around back when that was filmed? i don't get it.
    dude, they resample old movies off the original recordings. Those movie cameras they used probably cost hundreds of thousands of $. of course their quality is as good or better than the HD cameras of today

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dude, they resample old movies off the original recordings. Those movie cameras they used probably cost hundreds of thousands of $. of course their quality is as good or better than the HD cameras of today
    just doing some research... i guess 35mm has some extra resolution to spare while getting transferred to hd. guess i learn something new everyday.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...ting-edge.html

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'd like to get my Xbox back sometime this year.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol, no resident evil 5 demo for the ps3

lol, i finally got my pos xbox back.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you beat me to it......

So I go to play Resistance 2 and it flashes yellow quickly followed my red with three beeps and just stays flashing red and will not work. Worst of all the game inside there is a Gamefly rental and it will not eject the ing disc. I always thought my Xbox would die before my PS3.

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK IN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't be using my grief to make a point to someone else, es.

Thread Information