Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link me a video to the play you're referring to, tbh..

You're the same guy that said Rip Hamilton and Kirk Hinrich are reliable scorers in the other thread, to be fair..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't need to repeat your same drivel. And widely accepted my ass. You accept it but don't speak for others.
    It is widely recognized that Jorgens is their defensive architect, actually..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And give me an example of an innovative Black NBA coach, too, please..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link me a video to the play you're referring to, tbh..

You're the same guy that said Rip Hamilton and Kirk Hinrich are reliable scorers in the other thread, to be fair..
    having issues addressing my points? so you are going for past mistakes of mine to try and discredit me. Bush league bull .

I said Heinrich helps score points. I didn't say he was a scorer but he does well distributing the ball and running an offense. The ESPN rosters were not updated and I thought Hamilton was still on the team. Now please explain what bearing that has on the play Hollins drew up in game 3 last season.

Your entire argument is to pick a top white assistant of a successful black coach give all the credit to him and then claim that everyone accepts it as true. Oh and grandstanding on obvious ty coaches like Avery Johnson. It's the age old condescending bull .

This is the designed play in question. I misremembered. It was Leonard that was taken completely out of the play. Does that look like a 'give the ball to Conley and hope for the best?'

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that's the play you're referring to, I wouldn't have called that a pick&roll..

What was special about that play call, tbh?..

And again, give me an example of an innovative Black coach or a Black coach with an intricate, game changing system?..

I can provide many examples of White coaches creating/utilizing game-changing systems, and I can provide many examples of Black coaches that deferred to their White assistants for X's and O's..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another example of Lionel Hollins's incompetence is his refusal to acknowledge advanced stats, which is an antiquated, Black coach mentality, tbh..

Popovich, Thibodeau, Vogel, Carlisle and Spoelstra are all advocates of the usage of advanced numbers, the wave of the present/future, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And give me an example of an innovative Black NBA coach, too, please..
    I thought the play we are talking about here was quite innovative. The action on the weakside lopping conley around a double screen was sweet and using Gasol as the primary ball handler was 'innovative.' I think it oculd have been executed better with Gasol waiting for Conely to be coming back off the double screen to make his move but it did wipe Leonard, a top defender, completely out of the play.

So what white assistant do you want to give credit to for it?

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Kidd has the potential to make a great coach but I think it's a quite different thing to be an on-court leader than being an off-court leader, imho. needs some time to adapt to his role

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the play we are talking about here was quite innovative. The action on the weakside lopping conley around a double screen was sweet and using Gasol as the primary ball handler was 'innovative.' I think it oculd have been executed better with Gasol waiting for Conely to be coming back off the double screen to make his move but it did wipe Leonard, a top defender, completely out of the play.

So what white assistant do you want to give credit to for it?
    calling a good play out of a timeout once in a while = a great and innovative system?..ok..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another example of Lionel Hollins's incompetence is his refusal to acknowledge advanced stats, which is an antiquated, Black coach mentality, tbh..

Popovich, Thibodeau, Vogel, Carlisle and Spoelstra are all advocates of the usage of advanced numbers, the wave of the present/future, tbh..
    He said that because Hollinger was a motivating factor in moving Rudy Gay. That was what the interview was about. Seeing how dysfunctional their offense with Prince as the replacement I can see why. That was a ty trade for the Grizz.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Thibodeau was the brains behind the Celtics defensive schemes that established Doc Rivers as an A-list coach. He should cut Tom in with 25% of all of his future earnings. The Bulls will be there with a top seed because their coach will grind them to a pulp to squeeze every win possible. They probably need another shooter, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said that because Hollinger was a motivating factor in moving Rudy Gay. That was what the interview was about. Seeing how dysfunctional their offense with Prince as the replacement I can see why. That was a ty trade for the Grizz.
    Not really tbh. They Grizz got the furthest they had ever been with Rudy gone. Won their first playoff series when Rudy was hurt IIRC too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just Harlem doing what Harlem does, tbh..

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Yeah, it's a bit of a trade-off with the brother coaches/managers. They usually get their players to buy into the team concept and play hard for them, but they don't always have the X's and O's mastered. Think Lionel Hollins, Ron Washington, etc...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    calling a good play out of a timeout once in a while = a great and innovative system?..ok..
    Well at least you admit now that it is a good play so we are making progress. Hollins does things like that but what I have really liked about his teams is his ability to identify and exploit mismatches. It is precisely why he roached us two years ago. Mark Jackson does an excellent job of that as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just Harlem doing what Harlem does, tbh..
    not bad

still think Clippers are more overhyped. Bulls were a rock solid team last year that needed a go to scorer. granted, miami can stick lebron on him and thats that, but they'll be better than last year.

the only thing the clippers added was a black coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really tbh. They Grizz got the furthest they had ever been with Rudy gone. Won their first playoff series when Rudy was hurt IIRC too.
    So you think that was a good trade for the Grizz?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think OKC is overhyped or overrated. In two years they've turned James Harden into trash spare parts. And Westbrook is gonna miss some games. They went from having three of the top 20 players in the league and a bona fide le contender to just another very good team. They have little depth after Durant and Westbrook. 80 games of Durant and 60-plus games of Westbrook should be enough to get 50+ wins and at least the second round of the playoffs, but I don't think they're expected to ring this year.
    I was watching NBA TV open court and reading some articles, a lot of people are expecting them to come out of the west. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll ring, but to me that's overrating them. I really don't see much besides 2nd round, MAYBE WCF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overhyped = Blake Griffin

Derrick Rose has proven himself, but needs to recommit to doing it this year. The Clippers are trash, because Blake is a liability, and so is Jordan. CP3 is good, but he cannot throw lobs all night. At some point someone is going to need to run some plays and when those plays are disrupted violently, someone needs to step up to the line and make it count. That's not going to be the Clippers.

I'd consider the Bulls to be a threat however. They just need to get their rhythm back.

Smile you sonofabitch Chief Brody's Avatar
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    HarlemHeat37 called the out of this in the OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well at least you admit now that it is a good play so we are making progress. Hollins does things like that but what I have really liked about his teams is his ability to identify and exploit mismatches. It is precisely why he roached us two years ago. Mark Jackson does an excellent job of that as well.
    Doc and Mark have other things in common. They both play their starters too long, and they don't know anything about using their benches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HarlemHeat37 called the out of this in the OP
    1st game means nothing. The two teams (Bulls and Clippers) will put space between themselves by Christmas. There's no Ubuntu in LA, and the Bulls were good even without the MVPussy.

Smile you sonofabitch Chief Brody's Avatar
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    1st game means nothing. The two teams (Bulls and Clippers) will put space between themselves by Christmas. There's no Ubuntu in LA, and the Bulls were good even without the MVPussy.
    Nobody doubts this, but they're both still massively overrated and did nothing to help dispel that notion out of the gate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody doubts this, but they're both still massively overrated and did nothing to help dispel that notion out of the gate.
    I don't think the Bulls are overrated. The Clippers are overrated, they are an unhatched egg being counted as a chicken. The Bulls were just crippled chickens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that's the play you're referring to, I wouldn't have called that a pick&roll..

What was special about that play call, tbh?..

And again, give me an example of an innovative Black coach or a Black coach with an intricate, game changing system?..

I can provide many examples of White coaches creating/utilizing game-changing systems, and I can provide many examples of Black coaches that deferred to their White assistants for X's and O's..
    What was special about it? Other than talking Leonard completely out of the lane and looking like Gary Neal lost out of the shuffle? It was a good playcall that would have worked if not for a better heads up switch by Splitter.

I think the better question is what do you think that makes say Thibodeau or Popovich so innovative?

You think bringing your double teams from the baseline or zoning behind pnr is innovative? You think overloading the playside and zoning up the weakside is innovative? NBA coaches taking advantage of zone principles is one thing but calling the schemes innovative is pretty ignorant if you ask me. There is a reason why Popovich says what he says when asked about schematic questions like he does.

It's funny. You don't think that Popovich leaned on Carlesimo? You don't think Vogel leans on Burke? You don't think Spoelstra leans on Rothstein? The list goes on but in your world if a coach gets ideas from someone else then that means they 'defer' to that person and they are just rah rah guys.

Thread Information