Post Count
    He sure was leading that team to a lottery in 07-08

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...801280MEM.html

Memphis was 13-32 before Gasol begged for a trade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol no shady articles are going to change the facts

29/8/4/2/1 on 41/32/88/53TS/45eFG won the FMVP and was the first option that the defense focused on is better than
    19/12/4/1/3 on 48/0/72/56TS/48eFG as second option
    So then the FMVP indicates who was the better player.

Thanks for kicking your own ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarcasm detector ... broken?

I can't see how anyone could not be encouraged by Pau's play lately AND be rooting for him to get close to his 2010 form. If some LAker fans want him gone ...then by playing well, he ups his trade value. Right now, he is helping us win games and making the games more enjoyable to watch with his slick passing and smooth post play.

I am not completely against tanking, but if Pau plays like this, and our bench continues to thrive, IF Kobe comes back close to form this team can be dangerous. Not a le team by any stretch ... but a team that could pull off a upset.

Just not sure we would not be better off getting a top 10 pick, adding him to a healthy Pau/Kobe (ata reduced price) and signing an additional core piece. No, I dont think Lebron or even Melo are coming to LA ... but if Pau can maintain and Kobe is close to normal when he gets back we are not THAT far away from being a legit contender ...NEXT year ...if we add a top rookie and a legit #2 option.

Let's be honest, Pau at this stage should be a #3 option, similar to Bosh on a legit contender. Miami is NOT going anywhere and for the Lakers to compete for les Pau has to be a third option not a #1 or #2 ... Kobe would also be better off as a #2 option ...but doubt Lakers could acquire a #1 (Lebron/Durant/Paul George) that is better.
    Btw, your #2 option is making 25m a year after this season (30m now, sitting in the crowd).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Pau Gasol Trade: Los Angeles Lakers, Before and After

The Lakers were one of the best teams in the league when emerging center Andrew Bynum was healthy, and the team was clicking with Bynum and Lamar Odom as the second and third options.
    Then, Bynum's great season was abruptly interrupted when he injured his knee going up for a rebound on January 13 against the Memphis Grizzlies. At the time, the Lakers expected Bynum to be out for eight weeks, and hoped to have him back by the end of March.
    However, without Bynum's presence inside, the Lakers struggled mightily, going 4-4. They reverted back to the Lakers teams of the last few years, with Kobe having to score 35 points for the Lakers to win.
    Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak knew there was a chance the Lakers, who had been looking like le contenders, could possibly miss the playoffs entirely, due to the West's overall depth. But on February 1 (one day after a heartbreaking loss to Detroit where Tayshaun Prince made a game winning three), Kupchak pulled off one of the biggest robberies in NBA History, acquiring All Star big man Pau Gasol without giving up any of the team's top ten players.
    In return, the Grizzlies received Kwame Brown's $9 million expiring contract, a couple of first round picks, and a couple of good young players—Javaris Crittenton and Pau's brother Marc Gasol.
    Instantly, you could tell the Lakers were given a boost. On the same day that his team got Gasol, Kobe Bryant destroyed the poor Toronto Raptors, scoring 46 points—including several highlight plays—in a rout.
    Gasol would play his first game as a Laker a few days later, when the New Jersey Nets hosted the Lakers. Gasol's impact was immediate, as the Lakers won despite Kobe having one of his worst games in his career. (Bryant scored six points and had seven TOs while shooting 3-13 from the field.
    The Lakers still won that game—and then they went on to win 22 of the 27 games they played with Pau. By the end of the season, Los Angeles had the best record in the mighty Western Conference, after surviving the greatest regular-season race of all time.
    Bynum's knee never seemed to heal entirely, and now there is realistically no chance of him playing again this season, even if the Lakers made the Finals. Today, the Lakers announced that Bynum will be undergoing arthroscpic knee surgery on Wednesday, and the timetable of his return will be known later that day.
    Now, the debate is whether the Lakers were better with a healthy Bynum and no Gasol or Pau with no Andrew. With Gasol, the Lakers are a better passing team because of Gasol's ability to find his teammates in the post and are a little bit better offensively because Odom has been flourishing playing alongside Gasol.
    The negatives of the roster with Gasol are that the Lakers are a weak rebounding team, because of Gasol's reliance on finesse playm, and are only average defensively. With Bynum, the Lakers were the best rebounding team in the league as well as one of the best defensive teams, but they weren't as efficient offensively.
    My personal opinion is that the Lakers would be a little bit better with Bynum, because he is a defensive force in the middle and is a rebounding machine. One thing all people can agree on is that next season, when Bynum is healthy and Gasol is there, no team in the league will be able to match up with the Lakers.
    Los Angeles will have one of the greatest frontcourts of all time, with Bynum at center, Pau at power forward, and Odom at small forward. They also still have a guy named Kobe Bryant at shooting guard, who is pretty good, and a great veteran leader at point guard in Derek Fisher.
    Barring any injuries, it's safe to say that Lakers will win four or five championships over the next eight years, and become one of the league's greatest dynasties.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...fore-and-after

lol det last line...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wow, quoting articles from bleacher report 8 yrs ago, that's pretty disappointing of you

Glad to debunk the notion that implied Gasol could never missed a playoff in Memphis though

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wow, quoting articles from bleacher report 8 yrs ago, that's pretty disappointing of you

Glad to debunk the notion that implied Gasol could never missed a playoff in Memphis though
    Pau pulled a Wilt. Wilt in '65 led his team to a 10-28 record and then was traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article I will recommend ...

Looking at straight stats is silly. Just like many on here argue that it was the defensive attention on shaq that allowed Kobe to push the Spurs ish in in the early 2000's ...the same argument can be made here. The Celts never doubled Pau. Now they did NOT double Kobe either ... but if you watched the series Stopping Kobe was their main focus and they shaded their defensive help to prevent Kobe from attacking the paint. Pierce and company did yeoman's work on Kobe ... yet Kobe still had a significant impact on that series.

I dont even have a major issue with the argument for Pau as the MVP in 2010 ...in 2009 though it's a fool's argument. In fact in many ways Bynum injuring Perkins was pretty significant as well, considering how close Game 7 was ...

Kobe played a similar role to Duncan (drawing most of the defensive attention) when Parker won Finals MVP ...however Kobe was the leading scorer in the 2010 finals and I would argue that points not rebounds were the most precious commodity. As bad as the Lakers and Celtics shot ...there were plenty of rebounds to be had, highlighted by Kobe grabbing so many in Game 7. Points however were so hard to get., making baskets by fisher, Rondo the non big scorers EXTREMELY valuable.

I think it's great that the author wanted to give an underrated Pau his just due. And I would kill to have THAT Pau playing for the Lakers ...

But now who cares? Kobe won that award over 3 years ago. Pau got a nice extension for his play during the Finals run ... and has failed to live up to it ... but i am STILL grateful for helping us get to 16.

His recent play has been encouraging. I just hate to feel as though I need to disparage Pau to rebuttal some silly arguments on here.

Pau has been a great Laker. And I have been a voice here and on LG, despite his recent playoff struggles arguing AGAINST trading him for Kevin Love or ZBO (though I obviously would now reconsider that stance on Klove). He seems like a great guy, a good team-mate and Kobe has constantly defended him publicly and privately (according to sources). I dont want him at $16 or $18 million but if he is willing to give us a discount ...I would welcome him back to our team.

Kobe should also take a substantial pay-cut too btw ...
    it is a pretty good article. good to see MVPau get his proper due. props to DMC for posting it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's been getting the ball plenty every game

His FGA per game was higher than his PPG for a while, It wasn't until these past 2 games that got his PPG higher than his FGA/gm.
    So you're saying that now that he's become accustomed to getting more than 5-10 touches per game, he's reasserted himself as a highly effective post player despite the fact that the Lakers have no other weapons? That's more of a ringing endorsement of how good Pau is than a knock on his ability to produce, tbh.

By the way, Pau actually plays defense. Easy to forget when you're point counting, but it's a fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The article was just after the trade. I realize you can be blindfolded with dental floss, but try to see the context.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The article was just after the trade. I realize you can be blindfolded with dental floss, but try to see the context.
    So what does that have to do with what I proved? That Gasol led Grizzlies would never miss a playoffs? You can't be that stupid for the sake of trolling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what does that have to do with what I proved? That Gasol led Grizzlies would never miss a playoffs? You can't be that stupid for the sake of trolling.
    The Lakers went from missing the playoffs/Kobe threatening to quit to making the Finals in one year, all because of Pau Gasol.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The Lakers went from missing the playoffs/Kobe threatening to quit to making the Finals in one year, all because of Pau Gasol.
    Whatever dude, how's your day going so far DMC?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lakers were 30-16 before the Pau trade. Grizzles were 13-32 when they traded Pau.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What years do you think he was robbed of the MVP?
    Where did I said he was robbed of the MVP? Quote? Stop making stuff up, tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Where did I said he was robbed of the MVP? Quote? Stop making stuff up, tbh
    Yet you call him MVPau

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

After he was traded the Lakeshow suddenly went into a 10 game winning streak

Who are you kidding? Memphis was tanking, but Gasol was the ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet you call him MVPau
    I think he's the Laker's most valuable player... that's all.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I think he's the Laker's most valuable player... that's all.
    I'd say Jordan Hill is right now tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    By the way, Pau actually plays defense. Easy to forget when you're point counting, but it's a fact.
    Unfortunately not true this year, but hey, we say anything we like around here as fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers were 30-16 before the Pau trade. Grizzles were 13-32 when they traded Pau.
    They only lost 4 of their next 27 games. Bynum went down, Lakers went to 50/50 ball. Pau bailed them out of that.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    They only lost 4 of their next 27 games. Bynum went down, Lakers went to 50/50 ball. Pau bailed them out of that.
    Of course they got better. Pau is a good player. A good second option All-Star caliber big man.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And of course Nene had himself a career game while being guarded by MVPussy I'm shocked tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whotts funny is Lakerfan propping Jordan Hill like when the Lakeshow do well, but when another center does well, it's all on Pau

MVPau had another great game, dropping 17 on 55% shooting... unfortunately him and ear jordan couldn't overcome that scrub William going 1-7...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, props for MVPau for not mailing it in, tbh... after the news that he's basically thrown under the buss, he still showed up and played...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Also, props for MVPau for not mailing it in, tbh... after the news that he's basically thrown under the buss, he still showed up and played...
    Been mailing it in since 2011 son. He's 33, had no major injuries, the Lakers gave him plenty of shots imo. He's a grown ass , "I got cucked" is no excuse to play like , Jim had himself a playoff under the same cir stances.

Thread Information