Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure it does. That content would no longer be in the games.
    Bull . If a maker changes its product to suit the market or its business plan, that isn't censorship, it's rational self-interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bull . If a maker changes its product to suit the market or its business plan, that isn't censorship, it's rational self-interest.
    Neutering content because you don't like the message, whether dressed up as a cultural critique or a business plan, does not lessen the censoring effect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the developers, not the critics, neutered the content under pressure of social disapprobation.

you'd silence the social disapprobation (free expression) because you don't like the result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the developers, not the critics, neutered the content under pressure of social disapprobation.
    But for the social criticism, the content would not have been altered. Both are to blame.

you'd silence the social disapprobation (free expression) because you don't like the result.
    And you'd silence/censor the misogynistic/violent content of video games by dressing it up as a business decision and blaming the developers only.

Video games have a long history of being violent, crude, and offensive. Taking issue with that is like taking issue with Nine Inch Nails for promoting self-destructive tendencies. I'd have more sympathy for the critics claims if they had chosen a better forum to air them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, no. I think they should be free to say whatever the they want. I don't think their criticism has any merit to it, and I don't think developers should act on their concerns. But they're free to complain all they want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so are you, but the that idea that social disapproval is equivalent to official viewpoint discriminatrion is simply wrong. no one has compelled the developers to do anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they're also free to develop their own content. That's a problematic fact for you WH -- they can make content their own content to cater to their multicural vision. But that's not where this stops because they also want to eliminate content they find objectionable.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The crying over the GTA games from feminists and minorities is hilarious. Like when that Haitian group sued Rockstar, Microsoft, Sony, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc to get the game banned because there was a mission where you're working for a Cuban gang where they say to "kill all the Haitians" referring to the rival Haitian gang. I think it's funny all the butthurt from the Haitians for Vice City and the feminists for San Andreas and yet there was no complaint about GTA V, which was way worse considering there is a mission on the game where you go on a mass murder spree at any army base when one soldier makes fun of your character for being Canadian.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so are you, but the that idea that social disapproval is equivalent to official viewpoint discriminatrion is simply wrong. no one has compelled the developers to do anything.
    So am I what? And we're not talking about governmental infringements on first amendment protections, so I don't know what viewpoint discrimination has to do with anything. I think the analogy would be to content discrimination (violent/misogynistic content is being removed -- its not an exclusion of one view of an issue which would be viewpoint discrimination) anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ties

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they're also free to develop their own content. That's a problematic fact for you WH -- they can make content their own content to cater to their multicural vision. But that's not where this stops because they also want to eliminate content they find objectionable.
    I find that tedious -- but no more than tedious. Even if in your wildest dystopian fantasies feminists somehow succeeded in getting all the makers to kowtow to change all their games, gamers would still be free -- just like the people who criticize them -- to develop their own content, correct?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The crying over the GTA games from feminists and minorities is hilarious. Like when that Haitian group sued Rockstar, Microsoft, Sony, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc to get the game banned because there was a mission where you're working for a Cuban gang where they say to "kill all the Haitians" referring to the rival Haitian gang. I think it's funny all the butthurt from the Haitians for Vice City and the feminists for San Andreas and yet there was no complaint about GTA V, which was way worse considering there is a mission on the game where you go on a mass murder spree at any army base when one soldier makes fun of your character for being Canadian.
    But it says "neutralize" instead of "kill"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find that tedious -- but no more than tedious. Even if in your wildest dystopian fantasies feminists somehow succeeded in getting all the makers to kowtow to change all their games, gamers would still be free -- just like the people who criticize them -- to develop their own content, correct?
    LOL @ gamers being able to make their own multimillion dollar games that take 5-7 years to develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You find what tedious?

You just answered your own hypothetical - they wouldn't be free in the matriarchal dystopia because the content the feminists find objectionable would be silenced, hook, line and sinker. They want that content gone -- what about this are you not getting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So am I what? And we're not talking about governmental infringements on first amendment protections, so I don't know what viewpoint discrimination has to do with anything. I think the analogy would be to content discrimination(violent/misogynistic content is being removed -- its not an exclusion of one view of an issue which would be viewpoint discrimination) anyway.
    that there is no legal/political force involved makes it *not censorship*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL @ gamers being able to make their own multimillion dollar games that take 5-7 years to develop.
    just as ridiculous as vy65's suggestion that feminists "make their own games." that's where i got the idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it says "neutralize" instead of "kill"

crofl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just as ridiculous as vy65's suggestion that feminists "make their own games." that's where i got the idea.
    Except that they (the feminists) already are. This whole issue flared up over coverage of a feminist developers' game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trevor: This is why we don't win wars anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trevor: This is why we don't win wars anymore
    Never was a big GTA fan, but methinks I should look into this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the notion that gamers are or will soon be bereft of mysogynistic gratification in video games is frankly laughable. the critics won't get their way 100%, makers that don't kowtow will get "cred" from gamers and there will be new business opportunities for game developers eager to continue making money off them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ More rank, and irrelevant, speculation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never was a big GTA fan, but methinks I should look into this.
    Can't go wrong with a game where you get to go Virginia Tech against a bunch of hipsters tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    crofl "is this counter cultural enough for ya"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ More rank, and irrelevant, speculation
    much like the putative extirpation of sexism in video games: mostly rumored.

Thread Information