Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow great

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That didn't even make sense. Not that I was expecting much from you anyways...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That didn't even make sense. Not that I was expecting much from you anyways...
    Yet you continue to respond? That doesnt make sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet you continue to respond? That doesnt make sense
    Yet you do also? That makes no sense, but I can put together a sentence without ing it up.
    Amazing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet you do also? That makes no sense, but I can put together a sentence without ing it up.
    Amazing.
    Not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You present your arguments well.
    How dare I debate, or argue with someone so astute and eloquent?

"Not"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray not sighted until garbage time. Humbling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't grab his opportunity when Parker was out and Mills was sucking up storm by being virtually unplayable in some games..Patty is positively regressing back the mean shooting-wise and Tony returned and is looking decent while Forbes and BP3 are perfect in their niche..

Murray needed to blow our that easy compe ion early in the season, and he failed..It is hard to see him climb back in the guard rotation hierarchy. Will probably only see him in extended time in DNP-rest games of Parker or if the latter gets injured again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray needs more time in the G League. I’m sure he’ll be headed there soon. He needs a jump shot to get minutes on this Spur team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll get his chance against Phoenix on Sat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte is going to be trash for another year or two. He'll be good eventually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Told u... He won't ever get better... Pop doesn't see the bug picture... He isn't perfect... Tony and Patty have their issues guarding opposing point guards in the playoffs, and patty can't get open shots VS top teams... We NEED DJ to accelerate his growth for when we inevitably need him when Parker is on his last legs playoff time...

We will never know if DJ can be good or not because he doesn't even know when he is gonna play... Then when he is in he is scared to get aggressive and make mistakes...

NBA players go off rhythm... U want a 21 year old who barely played to take the starter role 5 games I to the season? It won't happen... He was unfairly benched for patty VS the warriors (unfairly because Patty was playing worse than him).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Told u... He won't ever get better... Pop doesn't see the bug picture... He isn't perfect... Tony and Patty have their issues guarding opposing point guards in the playoffs, and patty can't get open shots VS top teams... We NEED DJ to accelerate his growth for when we inevitably need him when Parker is on his last legs playoff time...

We will never know if DJ can be good or not because he doesn't even know when he is gonna play... Then when he is in he is scared to get aggressive and make mistakes...

NBA players go off rhythm... U want a 21 year old who barely played to take the starter role 5 games I to the season? It won't happen... He was unfairly benched for patty VS the warriors (unfairly because Patty was playing worse than him).
    Murray isn't a reliable shooter, so teams can rest poor defenders on him. Murray has poor judgment and poor passing and ball handling skills. Pop gave him a shot to deserve more minutes, but he was benched for Mills. In the NBA, and on the Spurs, you must earn your minutes. Both Parker and Mills, flawed as they are, will be much more reliable than Murray in the playoffs.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now that the personal insults and bickering are over, what I see with Murray is a guy who has some amazing physical gifts, that seriously needs to work on a few things. First I want to outline the things that he can work on without a team around him and playing time. A low, controlled dribble. Honestly just having him spend all day everyday for a week with a basketball, tell him no traveling keep it under your waist and that will help immensely. Also as often as she can Becky Hammon should just steal the ball from him and clown him about how can he keep his dribble in games if an old lady can steal it from him. A couple of days to weeks at worst and his ball control will improve a lot. His shooting form he can also improve on his own. Passing and knowing where to be take watching film and playing/practice time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I advocated starting Dijon LAST season, but I have repented. He has been on the team long enough to show some improvement in his handles, but he hasn't. I doubt he will. I can't imagine the coaching staff's not stressing the importance of that, yet there is no evidence that they have or that he has accepted the coaching. It is a real head-scratcher to me.

I am beginning to believe Dijon is one of Sir Charles' "deer" and the Spurs would be better off trading him before his play screams "BUST."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I advocated starting Dijon LAST season, but I have repented. He has been on the team long enough to show some improvement in his handles, but he hasn't. I doubt he will. I can't imagine the coaching staff's not stressing the importance of that, yet there is no evidence that they have or that he has accepted the coaching. It is a real head-scratcher to me.

I am beginning to believe Dijon is one of Sir Charles' "deer" and the Spurs would be better off trading him before his play screams "BUST."
    It's not a head scratcher to me. He just doesn't have the handles. Being an elite ball handler requires more than just working on it. Sure...anyone can get better if the practice. But no matter how much work one puts in, if you don't have it, you don't have it. And surely if you don't have it at his age, no amount of work will make him elite.

It's not different than Parker not being a great assist guy or three point shooter. Either you have something that makes you elite or you don't. And if you do have that something, you have to work your ass off to put yourself above the others.

In any event...as much hope as I had for Murray...he's just an average NBA player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a head scratcher to me. He just doesn't have the handles. Being an elite ball handler requires more than just working on it. Sure...anyone can get better if the practice. But no matter how much work one puts in, if you don't have it, you don't have it. And surely if you don't have it at his age, no amount of work will make him elite.

It's not different than Parker not being a great assist guy or three point shooter. Either you have something that makes you elite or you don't. And if you do have that something, you have to work your ass off to put yourself above the others.

In any event...as much hope as I had for Murray...he's just an average NBA player.
    Not sure he is even average at this point. He has good athleticism that enables him to make some plays others can't, but his basketball skills are shaky at best. An NBA guard - especially a PG - that can't shoot or dribble is hardly average.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure he is even average at this point. He has good athleticism that enables him to make some plays others can't, but his basketball skills are shaky at best. An NBA guard - especially a PG - that can't shoot or dribble is hardly average.
    His basketball skills are terrible. Dumber than a rock

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray isn't a reliable shooter, so teams can rest poor defenders on him. Murray has poor judgment and poor passing and ball handling skills. Pop gave him a shot to deserve more minutes, but he was benched for Mills. In the NBA, and on the Spurs, you must earn your minutes. Both Parker and Mills, flawed as they are, will be much more reliable than Murray in the playoffs.
    That's a bad take... Mills didn't earn his playing time... He was given his playing time... He was considerably worse than Murray at the start of the season...

And the point is that if we judge players by their play when they're rookies or 2nd year players, that's a disservice... Kawaii wouldn't be an MVP level player, LeBron wouldn't be good enough to take his team to the playoffs, etc... U have to play them and allow them to grow... Tony couldn't shoot consistently for damn near ten years... The objective is to let Murray grow so by time playoff time comes and we need him (which we will... TRUST ME), he will have game experience and will have the confidence he needs... Players don't magically get better by sitting on the bench or playing in practice... You have to play the high intensity of real NBA games

And patty having bad defense is much more of a hurt to the team than Murray not having a reliable jumper... Because he still plays consistent defense, can still drive to the rim, and he IS shooting 33% from three... I'd take that over mills any day... Mills has been horrible in the postseason for us... WTF does he deserve? Murray has a much higher ceiling than mills, and we definitely won't win this year leaning on mills and Parker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hurray has good dribbling skills... Really good... He just needs better control of it... So there is room to improve... But yall make it sound like he is Danny Green out there dribbling.... The dude had a nice crossover since high school... They used to compare him to Crawford... But like I said he may have the moves, but not the control... But he IS 21...ita not as if we are trying to teach a 30 year old to dribble...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a bad take... Mills didn't earn his playing time... He was given his playing time... He was considerably worse than Murray at the start of the season...

And the point is that if we judge players by their play when they're rookies or 2nd year players, that's a disservice... Kawaii wouldn't be an MVP level player, LeBron wouldn't be good enough to take his team to the playoffs, etc... U have to play them and allow them to grow... Tony couldn't shoot consistently for damn near ten years... The objective is to let Murray grow so by time playoff time comes and we need him (which we will... TRUST ME), he will have game experience and will have the confidence he needs... Players don't magically get better by sitting on the bench or playing in practice... You have to play the high intensity of real NBA games

And patty having bad defense is much more of a hurt to the team than Murray not having a reliable jumper... Because he still plays consistent defense, can still drive to the rim, and he IS shooting 33% from three... I'd take that over mills any day... Mills has been horrible in the postseason for us... WTF does he deserve? Murray has a much higher ceiling than mills, and we definitely won't win this year leaning on mills and Parker
    You need to take the homer glasses off. Patty earned his minutes. He was glued to the bench for more than a year when he first joined the Spurs. And your reversionary history is laughable. Mills was solid in the playoffs in 2014. Yes he’s had ups and downs since, but not Murray downs. He never got his pocket picked like Murray in the playoffs. And your logic on 2nd year player Kawhi, WTF, Kawhi was one of the best players on the roster as a rookie. Murray is barely good enough to be on the roster. He is horrible at shooting, dribbling, and playmaking and finishing at the rim. He gets a few rebounds, but that’s about it. We all hope he improves but you are dillusional if you think Murray is better than Mills or a regressing Parker, he’s not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hurray has good dribbling skills... Really good... He just needs better control of it... So there is room to improve... But yall make it sound like he is Danny Green out there dribbling.... The dude had a nice crossover since high school... They used to compare him to Crawford... But like I said he may have the moves, but not the control... But he IS 21...ita not as if we are trying to teach a 30 year old to dribble...
    He dribbles way too hard/high at times. Should keep the ball lower, it'll make it tougher to get stripped. Also, he's not Danny Green (who also can crossover the ball, it's very common these days), but also Green isn't a PG with the ball in his hands a lot out there, so dribbling for him isn't as important, tho he's gotten much better at it.

Never heard the comparison to Crawford, and maybe it was a legit one at a High School level, but this is the NBA now. He's nowhere near the ball handler Crawford is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone...name a player or two who came into the NBA and then practiced so hard that they became a top shelf ball handler?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he'll be healthy, he'll be great soon enough.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has some decent moves but also has some bad habits. His crossover is mainly due to first step quickness. That's the biggest part of why I really want him to just work on having good ball control become habitual. When you get used to having your dribble at all times your jogging pace doesn't change between having the ball and not having it. Changing pace and direction doesn't typically involve a higher bounce on that dribble. An accurate one handed push pass either in air or as a bounce pass doesn't really mean much of a gather at all so its very fast. All of the ball work will also notably increase hand and wrist strength incrementally which helps with shooting range and touch as hand and wrist strength mean that your arms are doing less of the work and increasing fine control. (Won't fix bad form but makes form better/easier once you are working on it). It also helps keep you from getting stripped and would help his already good for position rebounding. Essentially as long as someone is there to remind him keep it low and don't carry there is no downside to having a professional ball player constantly dribbling throughout the day.

Thread Information