Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    but its not exactly classy stuff, guys. ill stick with boxing and leave it at that.
    LOL...is boxing "classy" ??? Oh, I forgot...it's the "sweet science" with tons of history...and corruption, dead fighters, ears bitten off, rapists, etc...

Boxing will never have the level of sportsmanship exhibitied between fighters in MMA...

Boxing will never have fighters as educated as they are in MMA...

You brought blanks to this gunfight pussyface...you know nothing about MMA. FACT. TUF was big as far as bringing in new fans and getting the sport more exposure, but it was far from the beginning of the sport in the US...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=10879

Mayweather/De La Hoya: Boxing Blows It Again

05-07-07 - By Matthew Hurley:

In spite of the fact that the De La Hoya – Mayweather bout turned out to be a pretty good scrap that left even marginal boxing fans happy, the card itself begged the question, “why does boxing keep shooting itself in the gut?” This was an event that could have been used to showcase tons of new up-and-coming prospects on the under card. Instead pay per view buyers were cheated. Only two bouts, the rousing Rey Bautista – Sergio Medina junior featherweight fight and the pedestrian featherweight bout between Rocky Juarez and Jose Hernandez were offered to the buying public. On top of that small sundae, pay per view buyers were demanded upon to pony up ten dollars more than the usual $45.00. So you paid more and got less.

The strange thing is that the card was promoted by Golden Boy Promotions. Oscar and his company has a herd of terrific young prospects in their stable and instead of marching them out in front of the world’s stage, a stage boxing hasn’t had in quite some time, they opted not to.

Why? If Oscar is so keen on promoting the sport, why not use this opportunity to really grab the public by the balls and show them why boxing is still a viable mainstream sport. And it was on Cinco De Mayo to boot!

A lot was made of the idea that this fight would make or break boxing in the mainstream media. For whatever reason, sports analysts who cover multiple sports give no credence to the fact that while boxing may not be as popular in American culture as it once was it is still hugely popular within the Mexican and Puerto Rican populous, and overseas. Joe Calzaghe’s last fight against Peter Manfredo sold out a thirty thousand seat arena. A pretty good Irish fighter like John Duddy can still sell thousands of tickets at Madison Square Garden. Local fights in my neck of the woods, Boston, always gather terrific crowds of loyal fight fans. But if there isn’t a big fight every few months, or there isn’t a De La Hoya or a Mike Tyson to dominate sports headlines, the sport is either dead or fringe.

But those who run boxing, from promoters like Golden Boy Promotions to cable networks like HBO, which has consistently dropped the ball in recent years, are as much to blame. Constant mismatches and too many unworthy pay per views have weeded out the casual fan.

And then there is the UFC. Most hard-nosed boxing fans turn their noses up at Ultimate Fighting – and most of them have never really sat down and watched the sport. Regardless of what you think of the UFC, boxing promoters should use the UFC broadcasts as a template for their own. Basically the UFC is providing to its paying customers what boxing used to provide twenty years ago. If you pay $40 bucks for a UFC card you’re going to get upwards of five fights and all the fighters are the top contenders in their respective divisions.

Dana White, the UFC president, understood why boxing was floundering when he created the UFC. His plan was simple – and simple is always the best way to go. Put the best fighters in together and then load up the card with fights to keep the customer satisfied. White, to his great credit, even put potential pay per view events on free television ( e TV) when previous pay per views were disappointments. Don King, Bob Arum and Oscar De La Hoya could learn from this guy. Ironically, White is just doing what King and Arum used to do.

“It was a huge ing fight,” White said, in regards to De La Hoya and Mayweather. “But when you really break it down, everything I’ve said over the last six years is true. I take the blueprint of boxing as to what not to do. You’ve got to help grow this thing. Instead, the powers that be in boxing have reached their hand in, ripped the life out and stuck it into their pocket.”

“They live fight to fight, not thinking about the future. They build up one fight instead of building up a card. They should have been creating new stars off this fight. Oscar De La Hoya promoted the fight. He owns Golden Boy Promotions. Oscar should have all his guys fighting. They should have stacked this card. It’s your card, secure the future of your sport. But they don’t think that way.”

White’s point is well taken. But is it greed or just stupidity? Or do the powers that be feel that the boxing public will purchase any piece of they’re offered? One of the next pay per views will be Bernard Hopkins – Winky Wright which even fans of both fighters have to be saying to themselves, “my god, that’s going to be a snoozefest.” But if you want to watch it you’ll have to pay nearly $50.00 and, guaranteed, the under card will be terrible.

Sometimes I think boxing fans, and I’m firmly established within the club, are masochists. Why do we stand for this nonsense? And then when friends or the fella sitting next to you at the bar denigrates the sport in any way we leap to its defense when we know that it could be so much better.

I watched the De La Hoya – Mayweather fight with a close buddy, who is a huge UFC fan, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. But my friend, whose sports idol, as with me, is Thomas Hearns, kind of shrugged his shoulders when it was over.

“It ain’t like the old days,” he said, draining his bottle of beer.

I wanted to counter him with something like, “What about Erik Morales and Manny Pacquiao?” But I didn’t because he’s one of those former boxing fans who just gave up. Sure, he’ll watch the fights with me or go to the arenas for a live card but the passion isn’t there anymore.

He’d rather watch the UFC.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    none of those appearances are any more a-list than what someone in the wwf could get, ya know?
    Chuck Liddell will be on the cover of ESPN the Magazine soon in the next couple months. When he was on the cover of Men’s Fitness, it was the biggest selling issue they've ever had...

Randy Couture will be on the cover of Sports Illustrated this summer...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a mayweather fan, just a fan of the sport.

....I know this will seem ridiculous to the fanboys out there, but at the end of the day i think its doubtful that a sport that made its name with an MTV-Real World style reality TV show on eTV will supplant boxing and gain the sort of traction in middle america that, for instance, the delahoya/mayweather fight has attained.
    The popularity of the sport allowed the tv show to be made, not the other way around. It was becoming huge before the show, then Dana being the smart business man he is, saw his oppurtunity with a new channel. Hate UFC as much as you want, but it gives its mans much more of a show, for less money, it doesnt take a genius to figure out why it has become as popular. Boxing rarely gives its fans something to get excited about

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I know...

Maybe pussyface is Mike Freeman?? They sure sounds alike...and equally knowledgeable on MMA...
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10162545/1
    Poor Freeman...he's getting shredded...

Friday, May 4, 2007

Bashing the UFC for no good reason

For a meager $54.95, one can bear witness to boxing’s resurrection when “The Golden Boy” Oscar De La Hoya faces off with “Pretty Boy” Floyd Mayweather, Jr. on Saturday.

Or at least that’s what some are saying, one in particular being CBS Sportsline’s Mike Freeman. But rather than focus on how great this bout, these fighters and the “sweet science” are and can be, he decides to inform readers of how boxing - despite its pitfalls - will always be far better than, “the worst league ever invented, the UFC.”

What transpires is a piece eloquently led “De La Hoya-Mayweather will separate boxing from thuggish UFC.”

This coming as he boasts of a fight built up - marvelously I’ll admit - by HBO’s “24/7″ series in which Floyd Mayweather, Jr. tossed out as many F-bombs as jabs with his young son right next to him and his uncle Roger Mayweather proudly compared his courtroom triumph to OJ Simpson’s.

While just about every paragraph in the piece is infuriating to mixed-martial arts fans and common-sense supporters alike, it is one in particular that is simply disgraceful.

“Mixed-martial arts will never be as good as boxing on its worst day. Many of the ultimates are nothing but thugs and ruffians. All that league has done is take a few former nightclub bouncers, knuckle crackers and parolees, put on some fancy TV graphics and told them, ‘Kick the other guy in the nuts,’” he writes.

The old high-school jock in me wants to retort by saying someone should kick Freeman in the nuts - and then raising my hand. But the journalist in me is simply embarrassed by the fact that I share the same job le as this guy. I’m really nothing special, I scrape by as a sports editor for a small paper and have been privileged enough to write for Hall of Fame along side journalists whose resumes I couldn’t duplicate in my wildest dreams. Nonetheless, I take pride in writing, in particular, writing about sports.

People, sports fans, they’ve a long history in tossing out unfounded insults that couldn’t be further from the truth. Writers on the other hand have an obligation to at least attempt to be responsible in what they print - even if it is an opinion piece.

And in the aforementioned paragraph, that most certainly is not the case.

For starters, boxing on its worst day has seen death, rape charges atop never-ending lists of criminal charges, fighters who can’t speak coherently and riots - one that I can remember being caused when one fighter kept punching, “the other guy in the nuts.” Hence, casting “many” of the combatants in mixed-martial arts as “thugs and ruffians” and “former nightclub bouncers, knuckle crackers and parolees” is ludicrous enough, but when comparing them to boxers, it’s just plain stupid.

Chuck Liddell has an accounting degree. o Ortiz is a savvy businessman. Randy Couture is a former Olympic alternate.

Growing up watching boxing matches on HBO and wherever else you could find them, 90% of the fighter profiles seemed to be about guys who would’ve been in jail or dead if they weren’t getting swindled for millions by Don King as pro fighters.

Of course they’re not all like that. De La Hoya is pure class. I’ve talked with his trainer for the fight, Freddie Roach, and he’s about as nice a guy as you’ll find.

Not everyone associated with boxing is a criminal, but if you’re going to compare MMA and boxing, boxing’s clearly winning the orange jumpsuit battle. And Freeman, who at one point refers to himself as being part of the mainstream media, clearly is comparing the sports.

Of the impending bout-to-save-boxing, he bellows: “It is good vs. evil, Halle Berry vs. Courtney Love, true sport against the mosh pit of sweat and bloodied skull fractures known as ultimate fighting.”

Nope, it’s just De La Hoya vs. Mayweather. One is elegance, the exception to the rule in boxing, and the other is Mayweather, the best in the ring and the worst display of respect out of it. It’s going to make a whole heckuva lot of money, people will have boxing on the brain for a while and then it’ll fizzle out again. The UFC won’t though. It’s here to stay, just like those who call it barbaric and will never understand its appeal.

Freeman uses gross and unfounded stereotypes rooted in ignorance and false assumption. Not all boxers are crooks and not all mixed-martial artists (none that I’ve come across as a matter of fact) are anything like he colors them.

Not all sports writers, or members of the mainstream media, are out of touch when it comes to the athletic world they cover, either. But every so often an irresponsible article like this comes around to make the general public think the contrary.

Whether people want it to or not, Saturday’s fight probably won’t save anything, but any fight fan - boxing, MMA, you name it - should be looking forward to it. I’m excited to see it. I’m just not going to s out the $55 bucks to see one fight and an unheard-about undercard. I’ll just wait three weeks, pay $15 less and watch Liddell and Quinton Jackson duke it out, right along with a bunch of other “thugs” and “parolees.”

Share This
    by Grant Gordon at 4:16 pm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article Leo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    o Ortiz a savy business man?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He certainly markets himself well...he's far from the best but he's one of the biggest draws. Him and Rashad are the main event over TWO le fights...

Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that? pussyface's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ...let the UFC fanboy circlejerk continue....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great point Pussyface!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Keep The Balance IX_Equilibrium's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You're the one who opened this can of worms, douchbag. Don't start crying because you got crushed with your uneducated and pathetic arguments.

Believe.
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I've read just about enough about how ing great boxing is.....boxing isnt compared to other combat sports, it's one-dimensional fighting and guys like Mayweather would get the ing kicked out of them outside of boxing. K1,Pride,UFC,any B Class fighter from these 3 organizations as well as countless others would kick any world class boxer's ass in a fight that wasn't under boxing rules.

It doesn't matter if it's in a cage or a ring, under vale tudo rules any boxer would get ing destroyed. Anybody with any fighting experience will tell you that boxing is only a small part of the package and that boxing alone cannot win a REAL FIGHT. Do you wanna see what happens when a "World Class Olympian" in boxing goes up against something as tame as a K1 fighter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edz99Oua4Uo

thats what happens, the boxer gets his ing ass kicked. boxers are only trained to punch, and I dont care how good you can punch youre boxers legs aint gonna take a leg kick from anybody with a slight muay thai background.

im sick of all you ing historians with your "ali this, frasier that" bull and all this about the history of boxing. these men were great boxers but thats about it, ali would get his ing ass handed to him by any of the gracies.

boxing is over, there are no superstars and its about as boring to watch as golf is, especially when compared to the mind games and brutality of MMA. all you old men and historians need to shut the up and realize that your heros would get their asses kicked by real warriors.

Believe.
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    boxing only generates such high revenue because of it's past and all the money that is connected to it right now. give MMA 10 years and they will be where boxing is now and stay there,and the real heavyweight champion of the world will be an MMA fighter and boxing will just be considered an offshoot of MMA.

if it werent for ali,frasier,tyson, all these names that are long gone, boxing wouldnt have all that prestige and history. guys like the gracies have accomplished way more incredible things in their sports than these guys did and they arent recognized for it because MMA is still on the fringe of being a major american sport.

reppin the 16th letter! Fillmoe's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    man MMA! that will be gone next summer..... no ones gonna even give a about it.... boxing been around forever its just in a slump right now.....

Keep The Balance IX_Equilibrium's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man MMA! that will be gone next summer..... no ones gonna even give a about it.

We got ing Nostradamus over here

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    man MMA! that will be gone next summer..... no ones gonna even give a about it.... boxing been around forever its just in a slump right now.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I enjoy the occasional MMA bouts and I like to watch the sport and believe that it will have a nice future, but it won't come close to attaining the world wide draw of boxing, at least any time in the even somewhat distant future. Boxing has been in form for generations, and is the true underdog story (much like MMA is becoming on a much smaller scale). Both offer people from low class, broken backgrounds an arena to compete and possibly excell both professionally and financially in ways they couldn't otherwise. Boxing has lost many of the huge names that were prevelant in the heavy weight division over the past several years, but there are still great fighters left in the sport. I'm looking forward to possible fights such as Joe Calzaghe v. Jermaine Taylor and many other matchups that are great for true boxing fans. Just like MMA will always have it's core fans that know and appreciate the sport inside out, boxing will as well. The difference is that boxing's will be much bigger for decades to come. Many of the fad, bandwagon fans from the Tyson days are gone, but the sport still thrives due to the true fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I would love to see him say that a MMA fighter. lol.........pussy

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Gone next summer...pure genius!!!

Both offer people from low class, broken backgrounds an arena to compete and possibly excell both professionally and financially in ways they couldn't otherwise.
    Many MMA fighters are college educated guys...quite a few of them wrestling in college. Your point applies much more to boxing than MMA...

Thread Information