Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1323
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think anybody on spurstalk advocates illegal ownership of firearms
    gun fellators enable flooding the country with 300M+ guns, and lots of gun dealers, private dealers provide guns to illegal or straw buyers.

"we don't support illegal ownership" is bull , just like the charades of "freedom, liberty, 2nd Amendment", because any attempt to regulate gun selling, even collection of gun usage, gun violence, is immediately obstructed. In ing AZ, even gun buybacks must be put back on the market rather than destroyed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except many of us here (including TSA) are advocates of stronger background checks aka regulation

I believe in personal accountability. If I make the effort to obtain a gun and shoot somebody, I deserve punishment, not the shmucks who manufactured the weapon. There could be 800 million guns in the country. It's still me who made the conscious decision to obtain and use one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except many of us here (including TSA) are advocates of stronger background checks aka regulation

I believe in personal accountability. If I make the effort to obtain a gun and shoot somebody, I deserve punishment, not the shmucks who manufactured the weapon. There could be 800 million guns in the country. It's still me who made the conscious decision to obtain and use one.
    watch the NRA/GOA/gun industry BLOCK Obama's attempt to impose the slightest regulation this week.

10Ms of cosplay gun fellators belong to and support the NRA/GOA/gun industry "no regulation, no limit, guns everywhere for everyone all the time" perverted 2nd Amendment bull .

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    gun fellators enable flooding the country with 300M+ guns, and lots of gun dealers, private dealers provide guns to illegal or straw buyers.

"we don't support illegal ownership" is bull , just like the charades of "freedom, liberty, 2nd Amendment", because any attempt to regulate gun selling, even collection of gun usage, gun violence, is immediately obstructed. In ing AZ, even gun buybacks must be put back on the market rather than destroyed.
    https://www.atf.gov/file/11896/download

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many guns are in America? A web of state secrecy means no one knows

The American Public Health Association joins the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence in a national summit in Washington DC to tackle gun violence. They describe the issue as “one of the biggest public health issues facing America”.

But you wouldn’t know it from looking at the state of gun research.

Ask one of the dozen or so active firearms researchers in the United States, and they won’t be able to answer the fundamental question: how many guns are in America?

In addition to a 1996 ban on federal funding for firearms research that is cited as one of the most onerous obstacles to treating gun violence as a public health issue, states have passed dozens of laws that make once-public data on gun ownership confidential.

The best available data comes from a private survey by the University of Chicago , not the federal government, and that is still an estimate.

“There are lots of holes in actually having any data on the number of guns in our communities,” said Fred Rivara, head of pediatrics at the Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center and Seattle Children’s Hospital and a firearms researcher for almost three decades. “You look at, well, are people with mental health problems more likely to have guns, or are people with past problems more likely to have guns, we don’t know because we don’t have that data.”

States have not made the job easier.

From Florida to Maine to West Virginia to Wyoming, a variety of provisions have exempted concealed-carry permit data from public disclosure or stopped permitting altogether. For researchers, these provisions make it impossible to study guns within a given zip code or cohorts of owners who might have run-ins with the law.

“The fact of the matter is we know how many people own cars, we know the iden y of every car in the United States … Yet we don’t know who owns guns, and we don’t know how many guns there are in the United States,” said Rivara.

“When I first started in gun research back in 1987, we could actually go down to the state capitol in Olympia [Washington] and identify through state records at that point who owns guns,” said Rivara. “That ability was subsequently removed.”

As of 2013, 28 states , including Washington, don’t allow access to gun permit records. Some states, such as Vermont, Wyoming and Kansas, removed permitting requirements. Iowa has worked for years to make gun permit data more secretive.
    Two counties in the state lent the legislature a hand by destroying all permit applications .

New York tightened public access to gun permits after a newspaper north of New York City published a map of permit holders’ names and addresses . In the past five years dozens of laws have exempted concealed-carry permits and applications and gun licenses from public disclosure or made them confidential.

Take one state as an example: Louisiana.

Louisiana has the second-worst firearms death rate in the country, according to theKaiser Family Foundation , topped only by Alaska. In 2013, 19.3 people per 100,000 died because of a firearms-related injury for every 100,000 people in the state. That rate is equivalent to 14.7 people dying at a single New Orleans Saints football game (where the stadium seats roughly 76,000).

The same year, in addition to repealing state bans on machine guns, legislators made concealed-carry permit records confidential and allowed for issuance of lifetime concealed-carry permits. At its most basic level, that means researchers will never know how many concealed-carry permit holders, including those licensed for life, there are in the state.

But that wasn’t far enough for legislators in the state. Louisiana lawmakers also made it a misdemeanor criminal offense to release information about concealed-carry permit holders – levying a $500 fine and up to six months in jail for any department of public safety and corrections employee who releases such records, and a $10,000 fine and six months in jail for anyone else who releases that information.

Firearms dealers in Louisiana are also not required to retain background checks or sales records , meaning that if a dealer chooses not to record such transactions there is no way for researchers (or anyone else) to trace guns or oversee the efficacy of background checks.

Some federal data has also disappeared. A firearms trace database operated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives once used to publicly shame gun retailers who sold to criminals was made confidential in the early 2000s. And the
    FBI is required to destroy all background checks .

These state and federal restrictions have compounded challenges for the already-barren field of gun research, which has been barred from federal funding.

In 2013, following the massacre of 20 children and six staff members at Sandy Hook elementary school in Connecticut, Barack Obama signed an executive order that was supposed to lift the ban on firearms research. Congress, however, turned down the president’s request to fund the research.

In firearms violence research, this has been the state of affairs since 1996. At a time when gun violence was among the highest in American history, Congress defunded firearms research and passed a provision many researchers believe had a deep, chilling effect on the pursuit of answers.

At the time, a series of papers funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention became a hot-button issue after scientists began to view gun violence as a public health issue.

One such paper was co-authored by Rivara in 1993. Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home was published in the New England Journal of Medicine, and found that
    gun owners were more likely to be the victims of homicide, than protected from it. This research drew particular ire in Congress.

“We have here an attempt by the CDC, through the [National Center for Injury Prevention and Control] a disease control agency of the federal government [trying] to bring about gun control advocacy all over the United States,” Arkansas Republican representative Jay ey told colleagues during a hearing on his namesake amendment.

The rider, stipulating that “none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the [CDC] may be used to advocate or promote gun control”, would stop research into gun violence for the next two decades.

The CDC, ey argued, was trying “to raise emotional sympathy for those people who are for gun control”. Congress also yanked $2.6m in funding from the CDC, even as 1.1 million Americans fell victim to gun crime that year alone (In 2011, 439,100 were victims).

Even Democrats acquiesced to ey’s amendment. Lobbying colleagues to restore funding, New York Democrat Nita Lowey told House colleagues : “Our amendment preserves language in the bill which prohibits the CDC from advocating or promoting gun control.”

“The NRA opposes the CDC injury control research because it wants to suppress the awful truth about gun violence. The NRA simply does not want the facts getting out. It is no more than censorship. It must be stopped,” Lowey said.

Despite her efforts, ey’s amendment passed, and firearms research ground to a halt. Nineteen years later, in the wake of a mass shooting inside a church in Charleston, South Carolina, Lowey lobbied for the removal of the same rider she had once been willing to live with to restore funding.

“Preventing research because you worry about the outcome is cowardly,” she said at a hearing , before Congress re-upped (again) the requirement that the CDC not lobby for gun control.

Now, despite $130m in “ violence research ” grants awarded by the National Ins utes of Health , no studies explicitly looked at firearms. Nor did any of the $59m in grants devoted to “ youth violence ” or the $16m that went to “ youth violence prevention ”.

“The lack of research has been so detrimental because not only do we not have the research funding, another thing I think that’s really important is that it’s been a huge blow to the trained workforce,” said Susan Sorenson, a researcher at the University of Pennsylvania who studies gun violence as a public health issue.

In the United States, researchers are required to generate their own grant funding for projects, including for lab time, salaries and equipment.

“If there’s no funding, that researcher simply is not going to have a job, so they go into fields that are more heavily funded – cancer, tobacco, HIV – simply because they too need to be able, like all humans, to eat, to have a place to live,” Sorenson said.

As scientists struggle to rebuild a field Sorenson called “nascent”,

some surprising funding streams have stepped forward.

The Seattle city council funded research studying whether people who go to the hospital for gunshots were likely to later be the victims of violence (they are). The Chicago-based Joyce Foundation is cited by researchers as one of the only private foundations willing to provide money for research and firearms researcher Dr Gary Wintemute donated about $1.1m of his own money to fund his research.

“Better data, and data systems, are needed. Interventions must be evaluated, and those evaluations must help guide further efforts,” wrote Wintemute in an editorial for the Journal of the American Medical Association . “Until we revitalize firearm violence research, studies using available data will often be the best we have. They are not good enough.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/how-...e+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    South Bay man shoots self in foot, hits boy downstairs in bed

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Sou...oy-6595576.php

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    What are you trying to accomplish with all of your spamming? Serious question

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you trying to accomplish with all of your spamming? Serious question
    serious answer: G F Y

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    serious answer: G F Y
    Honestly, what good comes of your spamming? Do you believe you are saving lives? Do you believe we don't know guns are dangerous?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How Gun Traffickers Get Around State Gun Laws

In California, some gun smugglers use FedEx. In Chicago, smugglers drive just across the state line into Indiana, buy a gun and drive back.

In Orlando, Fla., smugglers have been known to fill a $500 car with guns and send it on a ship to crime rings in Puerto Rico.

In response to mass shootings in the last few years,

more than 20 states, including some of the nation’s biggest,
    have passed new laws restricting how people can buy and carry guns.

Yet the effect of those laws has been significantly diluted by a thriving underground market for firearms brought from states with few restrictions.

About 50,000 guns are found to be diverted to criminals across state lines every year, federal data shows, and many more are likely to cross state lines undetected.

In New York and New Jersey, which have some of the strictest laws in the country, more than two-thirds of guns tied to criminal activity were traced to out-of-state purchases in 2014. Many were brought in via the so-called Iron Pipeline, made up of Interstate 95 and its tributary highways, from Southern states with weaker gun laws, like Virginia, Georgia and Florida.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...35.mobile.html

2nd Amendment!

Freedom!

Water the Tree!

.... ALL BULL to cover the gun industry profits

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    South Carolina Gun Violence

South Carolina’s rates of gun crime are among the worst in the nation.

• South Carolina is the fourth-deadliest state for gun homicide: There were 5.31 gun murders for every 100,000 people in the state in 2013, 47 percent higher than the national average of 3.61 gun murders per 100,000 people.
    • At nearly 2.5 times more than the national average, South Carolina has the third-worst rate of aggravated assault with a firearm in the country.

The number of South Carolina residents who have been victims of gun violence is staggering.

• From 2004 through 2013, there were 6,461 people killed by guns in South Carolina. That is 20 percent more than all U.S. combat deaths in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined.
    • As of 2013, someone is killed with a gun every 14 hours in the state, and an aggravated assault with a firearm occurs every 1.5 hours.

Fatal altercations between law enforcement officers and civilians are common in South Carolina.

• The rate at which law enforcement officers are feloniously killed with guns in the state is 10th worst in the nation. Between 2005 and 2014, 10 law enforcement agents were murdered by guns.
    • With a rate 30 percent higher than the national average, South Carolina ranks 12th in terms of incidents in which police officers fatally shot civilians from January to November 2015.

Women in South Carolina face an extraordinarily high risk of fatal domestic violence, and access to firearms is a significant driver of those deaths.

• In the most recent 10-year period—2004 through 2013—South Carolina ranked fourth worst in the nation for the rate at which women are murdered by guns, 75 percent above the national norm.
    • On the narrower indicator of fatal domestic violence committed against women with a gun between 2004 and 2013, South Carolina ranks as the worst state and has the highest rate of these murders of any state in the country.

South Carolina has some of the weakest gun laws in the nation.

• The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence gives South Carolina an “F” for having enacted few gun laws.
    • This organization gives South Carolina 14 out of 100 possible points on its 2014 state rankings.

Weak laws make South Carolina a favorite state for illegal gun traffickers to purchase guns.

• South Carolina has the fifth-highest rate of crime gun exports—guns sold in South Carolina that are later used in crimes in other states—in the country.
    • On this key marker of illegal gun trafficking, the state had a rate of interstate crime gun trafficking that was 88 percent higher than the national average from 2012 to 2014.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/guns-crime/report/2015/11/24/126233/south-carolina-gun-violence/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7-year-old girl killed at MI soccer practice after ‘paranoid’ man with concealed carry license opens fire

A 7-year-old girl died at soccer practice Thursday night and a family friend who had been experiencing paranoia is accused of shooting her in the head before taking his own life.

Emma Nowling and her mother, Sharon Watson, were shot after the little girl’s soccer practice session at the Taylor Sportsplex in Michigan. Watson is listed in serious but stable condition, while Nowling died Thursday night after suffering head injuries,MLive.com reports. Authorities describe the suspect, Timothy Nelson Obeshaw, as a family friend who had a concealed carry permit and a legally-purchased gun.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/7-ye...e+Raw+Story%29

Just one dead "watering the tree of libertee" out of the 90 avg gun deaths PER DAY in Good Ol' USA.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    That's ed up and then the mother er shoots himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Awesome happy family

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're all a bunch to total, clinical psychos.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gun homicides in Poland
    are about as common as deaths from
    bicycle riders being hit by cars
    in the United States.

In Germany, for example, about two out of every million people are fatally shot by another person each year — making such events as uncommon there as the campers’ deaths in Yosemite. Gun homicides are just as rare in several other European countries, including the Netherlands and Austria. In the United States, two per million is roughly the death rate forhypothermia or plane crashes.

These comparisons help highlight how exceptional the United States is. Here, where the right to bear arms is cherished by much of the population, gun homicides are a significant public health concern. For men 15 to 29, they are the third leading cause of death, after accidents and suicides. In other high-income countries, gun homicides are unusual events. The recent Paris attacks killed 130 people, which is nearly as many as die from gun homicides in all of France in a typical year. But even if France had a mass shooting as deadly as the Paris attacks every month, its annual rate of gun homicide death would be lower than that in the United States.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/up...er=rss&emc=rss

you less, bloody-handed gun fellators are a PUBLIC HEALTH DISASTER.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    End the Gun Epidemic in America

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

DECEMBER 4, 2015

All decent people feel sorrow and righteous fury about the latest slaughter of innocents, in California. Law enforcement and intelligence agencies are searching for motivations, including the vital question of how the murderers might have been connected to international terrorism. That is right and proper.

But motives do not matter to the dead in California, nor did they in Colorado, Oregon, South Carolina, Virginia, Connecticut and far too many other places. The attention and anger of Americans should also be directed at the elected leaders whose job is to keep us safe but who place a higher premium on the money and political power of an industry dedicated to profiting from the unfettered spread of ever more powerful firearms.

It is a moral outrage and a national disgrace that civilians can legally purchase weapons designed specifically to kill people with brutal speed and efficiency. These are weapons of war, barely modified and deliberately marketed as tools of macho vigilantism and even insurrection.

America’s elected leaders offer prayers for gun victims and then, callously and without fear of consequence, reject the most basic restrictions on weapons of mass killing, as they did on Thursday. They distract us with arguments about the word terrorism. Let’s be clear: These spree killings are all, in their own ways, acts of terrorism.

Opponents of gun control are saying, as they do after every killing, that no law can unfailingly forestall a specific criminal. That is true. They are talking, many with sincerity, about the cons utional challenges to effective gun regulation. Those challenges exist. They point out that determined killers obtained weapons illegally in places like France, England and Norway that have strict gun laws. Yes, they did.

But at least those countries are trying. The United States is not.

Worse, politicians abet would-be killers by creating gun markets for them, and voters allow those politicians to keep their jobs. It is past time to stop talking about halting the spread of firearms, and instead to reduce their number drastically — eliminating some large categories of weapons and ammunition.

It is not necessary to debate the peculiar wording of the Second Amendment. No right is unlimited and immune from reasonable regulation.

Certain kinds of weapons, like the slightly modified combat rifles used in California, and certain kinds of ammunition, must be outlawed for civilian ownership.

It is possible to define those guns in a clear and effective way and, yes, it would require Americans who own those kinds of weapons to give them up for the good of their fellow citizens.

What better time than during a presidential election to show, at long last, that our nation has retained its sense of decency?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/05...n-america.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Relative to USA's own insanity, looks great. Compared to other industrial countries, USA is still wildly insane (for profit).

BigGunCorp and its s in the NRA, GOA, and in legistlatures makes gun policy, not Americans.

How many people, kids, would be alive today if the REPUGS in 2004 had kept the assault gun ban in law?

Repugs have MURDERED many more Americans than all the Muslim terrorists combined, all for profit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that is dangerous. kids aren't responsible enough for that. should be an age limit for firearms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Relative to USA's own insanity, looks great. Compared to other industrial countries, USA is still wildly insane (for profit).

BigGunCorp and its s in the NRA, GOA, and in legistlatures makes gun policy, not Americans.

How many people, kids, would be alive today if the REPUGS in 2004 had kept the assault gun ban in law?
    dunno. how many?

(point taken about the level of gun violence relative to other countries being ridiculous. was just making a point about the historical trend.)

Repugs have MURDERED many more Americans than all the Muslim terrorists combined, all for profit.
    what the are you talking about? war? violent criminals?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dunno. how many?

(point taken about the level of gun violence relative to other countries being ridiculous. was just making a point about the historical trend.)

what the are you talking about? war? violent criminals?
    Well, let's see

Nixon subverted the Paris Peace Talks in the last weeks of the 1968 election to deny Humphrey's victory. result? 30K+ more military deaths through 1975, and 100K+ more injuries.

Then there's Iraq.

... which led to the steaming pile we have now and for many years to come in the Middle east, which led to ...

Ft Hood shooting

and apparently San Bernardino slaughter.

etc, etc, etc

Then there's allowing assault rifles to be sold, 10s if no 100s more death vs handgun-only deaths.

Repugs make America much more insecure, and they totally suck at geopolitics and der Heimat defense (9/11)

Then add in several 1000s per year, if not 10Ks of diseased, dead Americans from Repugs not expanding Medicaid, including the Repugs' dead babies, dead mothers, excessive abortions due to lack of perinatal care, contraception.

Repugs are much more dangerous, homicidal to US than all the Muslim terrorists combined.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-05-2015 at 02:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, let's see

Nixon subverted the Paris Peace Talks in the last weeks of the 1968 election to deny Humphrey's victory. result? 30K+ more military deaths through 1975, and 100K+ more injuries.

Then there's Iraq.

... which led to the steaming pile we have now and for many years to come in the Middle east, which led to ...

Ft Hood shooting

and apparently San Bernardino slaughter.

etc, etc, etc

Then there's allowing assault rifles to be sold, 10s if no 100s more death vs handgun-only deaths.

Repugs make America much more insecure, and they totally suck at geopolitics and der Heimat defense (9/11)

Then add in several 1000s per year, if not 10Ks of diseased, dead Americans from Repugs not expanding Medicaid, including the Repugs' dead babies, dead mothers, excessive abortions due to lack of perinatal care, contracption.

Repugs are much more dangerous, homicidal to US than all the Muslim terrorists combined.
    You have to love how he starts off with the assumption that Humphrey would have won and then just pins tens of thousands of deaths like the link is anything but hypothetical.

We are also apparently wholly responsible for the middle east. using medical life estimates for policymakers as concrete numbers to be thrown around to add to the tally is a nice finishing flourish.

I await being told to go myself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to love how he starts off with the assumption that Humphrey would have won and then just pins tens of thousands of deaths like the link is anything but hypothetical.

We are also apparently wholly responsible for the middle east. using medical life estimates for policymakers as concrete numbers to be thrown around to add to the tally is a nice finishing flourish.

I await being told to go myself.
    Thanks for loving my posts, head.

Nixon wanted to ASSURE he won, and it cost 10Ks military deaths AND 100Ks military injuries.

Yes, the Middle East was basically stable before the Iraq invasion, any fragility was TOTALLY destroyed by dubya, head, BigOio, Rummy, Feith, Wolfie, PNAC invading Iraq for oil.

GFY

Thread Information