My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is a cancer.
    ok boban

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi then. If he wants to leave the spurs... then freaking play so that he can get us some value in a trade. Bye Felicia!!!

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I have a hard time believing he’s holding the team hostage because he wants out. If he was that far removed from the team and has been for months then time isn’t going to change his mind back. I don’t see the Spurs paying him that much money to sit because he misses home either. Not sure of the rules but surely they could ask the league to step in if they’re dead set against trading him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you have a chance to get a top 3 player in the league, you do it. Boston would take Kawhi in a heartbeat if presented the opportunity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Source?

I don't buy it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a hard time believing he’s holding the team hostage because he wants out. If he was that far removed from the team and has been for months then time isn’t going to change his mind back. I don’t see the Spurs paying him that much money to sit because he misses home either. Not sure of the rules but surely they could ask the league to step in if they’re dead set against trading him.
    Agreed.

There is like a 99% chance he's just injured and frustrated, and a 1% chance he's sitting because he wants out.

Of course, the social media sewing circles are gonna gossip and demand answers...but he is a budding NBA superstar and a former FMVP. He is not obligated to come out to the media to say anything for anybody. He probably doesn't even want to talk about it either. We are not even a blip on his radar.

I'll believe Kawhi is gone when he's gone. Otherwise, I expect him to sign his extension and be here for years. If the future proves me wrong, well...then so be it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no "nothing" at this point. Either Kawhi is still injured or he's not but not playing anyway. Both scenarios warrant a -ton of concern.
    This. ^
    I was concerned his tendinitis is turning into “Tiago’s calf”. In Tiqgo’ case there also wasn’t a timeline and “he will play when he’s ready” turned into never really. He attempted come backs and in the end would never really be completely ready. It’s a less gossipy situation but no less bad for the Spurs. Might be worse even. Things aren’t fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed.

There is like a 99% chance he's just injured and frustrated, and a 1% chance he's sitting because he wants out.

Of course, the social media sewing circles are gonna gossip and demand answers...but he is a budding NBA superstar and a former FMVP. He is not obligated to come out to the media to say anything for anybody. He probably doesn't even want to talk about it either. We are not even a blip on his radar.

I'll believe Kawhi is gone when he's gone. Otherwise, I expect him to sign his extension and be here for years. If the future proves me wrong, well...then so be it.
    I like the optimism. I am not pessimistic, but I can't really claim to be optimistic, either. I am hopeful, but we'll just have to wait and see. This situation would be strange for any team, but it seems absolutely surreal for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately this doesn't seem like a "want-out" behavior over roster or market, but it appears that the "nagging" element of this particular injury is starting to mind him- a type of low-level anxiety creeping up on him that some members of his camp are using for their own ends.

When you hear Buford says he will play when "he is ready" you know that at this point they have have left him to his own devices. And lets act that it is coincidence that it is the second time the Spurs doctors couldn't figure our what is wrong with a Leonard bodypart (wrist circa December 2014). It is only him and I wonder why?

You could accuse Pop and his crew of everything, but trifling with their own players' health, much less franchise ones, isn't one of them (unless you are Green)..

Up to Kawhi to show he isn't broken and altered forever by this tendinopathy. If he attempts to come back again this season, even for just another 10 games, I would feel much better about him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are way off. If he wanted out, the standard agent move is a la Kyrie...announce you want a trade. If he was telling them behind the scenes that he wanted to be traded, he would’ve been. He has his highest value now as (1) it’s unknown how bad his injury is but it’s presumed he will recover this year; (2) next year is a lame duck year where teams will assume if he’s willing to leave, they’ll get him in free agency. Now would be the time to trade him, but I doubt it’s on that level and I’m pretty sure Kawhi and his uncle want the super max, they have the latter part of his career and his retirement to leave in LA. He can only make this kind of money once. You never know if a second mega contract is coming. He could have a career ending injury before then or the rules could change, or he may not have another MVP run in him. Too many variables.

A guy like KD could leave bc he already had a couple max contracts and he’s got more endorsements and years in the league. Kawhi is still climbing the mountain of salary. Now is the time to be greedy. The scary part is if the Spurs don’t offer the super max. That means Kawhi’s injury is more serious than we are thinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^good point imo, i felt the same that if he really wanted out Spurs would have traded him by now while his value is still incredibly high instead of immediately shooting down any inquires to his availability

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During Robinson’s hey day, there were rumors every year he was going to LA (Pre Shaq). Guess what? They were not remotely true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you hear Buford says he will play when "he is ready" you know that at this point they have have left him to his own devices.
    Buford said last week that . . . "we’ve put all the resources we can, internally and externally, to get him feeling confident enough to play.
    The Spurs are clearly sending the signal that Kawhi's down time is his decision and his decision alone.

Coming from an organization that errs repeatedly on the side of sitting players if there is the least doubt, that speaks volumes about the Spurs' POV on this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During Robinson’s hey day, there were rumors every year he was going to LA (Pre Shaq). Guess what? They were not remotely true.
    I followed the Spurs during the Robinson era and I don’t remember any rumors of him wanting to go to LA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eventually Kawhi will have to play or state he can’t play. I don’t think the concept of ‘thanks for the 20 million, but I’m just going to sit around at home’ is possible. If he’s unable to play he has another great guaranteed year...two if you count the ‘player option’ deal in 19/20. I find it doubtful he doesn’t want to earn the supermax and to do so he will have to be able to play. Indefinite silence isn’t sustainable for him or the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like the sort of family member i’d want to stay away from. I wouldn’t give a rats ass what my uncle wanted.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    people hating on kawhi for possibly wanting to leave get over yourself tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I followed the Spurs during the Robinson era and I don’t remember any rumors of him wanting to go to LA.
    Me either, but I do remember them trying to steal The Admiral from us to replace Kareem after he retired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either he wants out or has a medically significant poor body.

Either way I’m saying no way to 200 mil if I’m the spurs. Save cap room and trade for assets. Time for a rebuild.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like the sort of family member i’d want to stay away from. I wouldn’t give a rats ass what my uncle wanted.
    His uncle strikes me as an opportunist. I get the feeling that his uncle has wanted him to be in LA from day 1 but he couldn't sell the idea of it until now. Kawhi's injury allowed him to get inside of his head and him to sell the argument of going to LA. I'm sure his uncle probably said something like this "Hey Kawhi the Spurs don't care about you that's why they screwed up on your injury. They can't be trusted blah blah." If the rumors are true I don't think the spurs could do anything to keep Kawhi. They could have a team filled with all-stars and he would still want to leave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by spursistan; 02-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Either way I’m saying no way to 200 mil if I’m the spurs. Save cap room and trade for assets. Time for a rebuild.
    I don't believe in giving him free money for not playing the whole entire year. If he comes back next year make him earn the super max. If he's good enough then he will qualify for a super max in the summer of 2019.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How likely is it that he's able to play as he did before? Spurs are nuts if they pay this guy supermax unless he can prove that he still can play basketball.
    Which doesn't seem likely at this point.

Unfortunately, it appears that a Leonard-led future is a mirage. Time to cut losses and move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember, Kawhi lost his father to a fatal shooting in Compton.

His uncle may be a quasi-father figure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His uncle strikes me as an opportunist. I get the feeling that his uncle has wanted him to be in LA from day 1 but he couldn't sell the idea of it until now. Kawhi's injury allowed him to get inside of his head and him to sell the argument of going to LA. I'm sure his uncle probably said something like this "Hey Kawhi the Spurs don't care about you that's why they screwed up on your injury. They can't be trusted blah blah." If the rumors are true I don't think the spurs could do anything to keep Kawhi. They could have a team filled with all-stars and he would still want to leave.
    Read what I wrote about the Lakers medical staff. Their track record is much worse than the Spurs.

Karl Malone's misdiagnosis in 2004 on his knee that ended up costing the Lakers more regular season games than it should have, mostly due to an incorrect rehab program, and then it ultimately may have cost the Lakers the finals as he re-injured it again in the finals. Andrew Bynum's career over before his prime - Lakers maybe shouldn't have let him play injured in the 2010 playoffs/finals. Dwight Howard going from a top 5-10 player and then looking like a washed up star after dealing with the Lakers medical crew for an entire, miserable season, to Steve Nash not being able to get back on the court after the Suns medical staff was able to keep him on the court for years. Kobe not coming back too well from an achilles tear that other players in recent times have been able to come back from. Bottom line, if Kawhi is worried about injury, diagnosis and treatment, LA is not the team to go to.

Thread Information