Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, did not expect them to keep Forbes AND Lappro; thought it'd be one of them and maybe Anthony.
    I think Pop has bought in to Bertans contributing this season. IMO good news.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes and Laprovitolla deserved it. Lapro can be a NBA back up today.

Parker/ Mills/ Lapro/ Murray
    Green/ Manu/ Simmons/ Forbes
    Kawhi/ Anderson - Bertans
    Aldridge/ Lee/ Anderson - Bertans
    Gasol/ Dedmon

The depth chart is incredibly imbalanced. One injury in the front court and Spurs are going to be in trouble.

I'd field offers for Patty and settle for a 1st from a contender out East or high 2nd from a lottery team like the Sixers. Makes room for a roster spot + getting a decent pick for next year. Go after the best big you can get on the market.

One thing is almost for sure though, this is likely Pattys' last year with Lappro signed for 2 years, Forbes for 3 and Murray under contract. Makes no sense to pay Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with that statement. Simmons wasn't going to be waived for Garino. Garino was not a tough decision. Did you see how he played last night? The Rocket's guards were driving past him! I think though he has potential, just not now.
    I have seen him and Simmons enough. Simmons last preseason when he was the rookie was horrible! lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Livio can still be signed to play for Austin right, along with Arci, and Garino?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night everyone was sure that Lap was already on a plane to his new European team. Damn those rumors.

Regardless of what a lot of people are saying, LJC wasn't a bad stash at the time. The Spurs had no roster spots to give to a marginal player, so they took a flyer on a prospect and gave him a few years to cook. He tore an ACL, which didn't help. I was disappointed in his physical development when he got here. I don't know if he neglected his rehab, but he was nowhere nearly as mobile as I remembered him, and he didn't put on the size/strength he needed to play more physical ball. Chinook convinced me that the Spurs might keep him, just because he had a rookie contract. But his play didn't come close to earning a roster spot. He should go down more in the "disappointment" column, rather than the "bad draft pick" column.

Garino made a comment about needing to play in the D-League. I got the impression that he had already discussed it with the Spurs. I don't think either side is ready to part ways.

Spurs can now play really small ball:

Laprovittola, Parker, Mills, Forbes and Simmons (at center).

or tall ball

Anderson (PG), Leonard, Bertans, Aldridge, Gasol

Heh. Don Nelson would have put both of those lineups on the floor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Gasol/ Dedmon

The depth chart is incredibly imbalanced. One injury in the front court and Spurs are going to be in trouble.

I'd field offers for Patty and settle for a 1st from a contender out East or high 2nd from a lottery team like the Sixers. Makes room for a roster spot + getting a decent pick for next year. Go after the best big you can get on the market.

One thing is almost for sure though, this is likely Pattys' last year with Lappro signed for 2 years, Forbes for 3 and Murray under contract. Makes no sense to pay Mills.

Bonner is in their back pocket

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Torn ACL robbing him of his Splitter-like mobility and the elevation he needed to rebound and finish. Real easy to see where it's gone wrong for him. And real sad.
    Were Spurs obligated to signing him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Were Spurs obligated to signing him?
    Pretty much. They could've renounced him, but that would be awful form.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night everyone was sure that Lap was already on a plane to his new European team. Damn those rumors.

Regardless of what a lot of people are saying, LJC wasn't a bad stash at the time. The Spurs had no roster spots to give to a marginal player, so they took a flyer on a prospect and gave him a few years to cook. He tore an ACL, which didn't help. I was disappointed in his physical development when he got here. I don't know if he neglected his rehab, but he was nowhere nearly as mobile as I remembered him, and he didn't put on the size/strength he needed to play more physical ball. Chinook convinced me that the Spurs might keep him, just because he had a rookie contract. But his play didn't come close to earning a roster spot. He should go down more in the "disappointment" column, rather than the "bad draft pick" column.

Garino made a comment about needing to play in the D-League. I got the impression that he had already discussed it with the Spurs. I don't think either side is ready to part ways.

Heh. Don Nelson would have put both of those lineups on the floor.
    In all fairness to LJC, if it weren't for the late Laprovittola signing, he may have not been waived.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Gasol/ Dedmon

I agreed that Mills is almost certainly not going to be Spur next season, Spurs may have around $9-10 million in cap space (assuming that Gasol opts in, and Dedmon opts out) if Dedmon opts in that number will be around $6-7 million with Mills cap hold tying up pretty much all of that remaining cap.

I don''t think that the Spurs would move Mills, they would probably play out the year then let him walk but it would make plenty of sense and there are certainly teams that could use him, Phily and Atlanta for example. A late first or an early second would be a solid return (say Philly finishes in the bottom 5, that could be the 35th pick).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got into an argument with someone about the possibility of the Spurs having 4 rookies; Murray, Bertans, Lapr, and Forbes- looks like I'm right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I havent' seen Lapro as much as I have seen Mills for sure... but I think he's a more well rounded PG than Mills.

I've said it before, he's a tough little bas . Very, very scrappy. And he is more of a pure point than Patty. I've always thought that Patty would make a much better 2 guard - if only he was about 4 inches taller. He still has trouble with heavy ball pressure, and looks like a deer in the headlights at time. We'll see how Lap handles the speed of the NBA game, but I don't think he'll freeze.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner is in their back pocket
    That's because Bonner is ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Liking the roster, in what is a lost season barring serious injury to a Dubs player. The way the front court looks I still can't help but think this leaves room for TD to come back at some point after the AS break, especially if things are going well and the Dubs have a major setback.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow - I think talent/performance wise this was the right call. But depth wise it makes things even more scary (especially because Dedmon has not shown too well as of now).

Definitely need to watch the waiver wire for talented bigs and/or trades.

If GS shows any signs of being vulnerable (no chemistry, injury, etc.) then I think the Spurs might look to upgrade Deadmon before the deadline. They're waiving LJC - I don't think they'll feel any more obligated to Deadmon.

But I really doubt they would replace him for someone off the waiver wire, because they aren't likely to be much better than Deadmon, and they won't have the benefit of camp with the team. If they replace him, it almost has to be with someone who is a clear-cut upgrade, and that likely means trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thank Jesus you're not the GM.

Parker and Manu are pretty much guaranteed to miss 20 games a piece this season. So you want to get rid of Mills and pray that fantastic duo of Murray and Lapro get it done? lol.

Half the team could be ing duds. Showing up against preseason teams is an Austin Daye way of thinking. Then again, this is the spurs forum and everyone's job here is to think they know everything as well as jump the gun.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    so glad livio and anthony won't be on the roster. didn't even want them on the preseason roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly I have seen Bertans exclusively as a 4 and have loved him as that.
    I guess if both Anderson and Bertans play together, it may be semantics but I view Anderson as a 4 and think his lack of a 3pt shot can be minimized while his other skills can make him a mismatch or more difficult to guard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank Jesus you're not the GM.

Parker and Manu are pretty much guaranteed to miss 20 games a piece this season. So you want to get rid of Mills and pray that fantastic duo of Murray and Lapro get it done? lol.

Half the team could be ing duds. Showing up against preseason teams is an Austin Daye way of thinking. Then again, this is the spurs forum and everyone's job here is to think they know everything as well as jump the gun.
    People think differently. Its okay.

Appreciate the insight. Have a wonderful day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Liking the roster, in what is a lost season barring serious injury to a Dubs player. The way the front court looks I still can't help but think this leaves room for TD to come back at some point after the AS break, especially if things are going well and the Dubs have a major setback.
    TD can't come back this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD can't come back this season.
    This isn't true. Dunno who started this rumor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this mean Manu has made his first task as a Scout with 50% efficiency? Good enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't true. Dunno who started this rumor.
    Okay, can't come back to the Spurs.

Per CBA, if a player is waived by his team a full calendar year has to last before he could resign with them..

Obviously, I would cry like a small child, if he would come back for a last(-last-last-last) run. But that's not gonna happen.

Could he sign with like the 76-ers or the Hawks than traded to us after the 60 days cool down (whatever it's called) period?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If GS shows any signs of being vulnerable (no chemistry, injury, etc.) then I think the Spurs might look to upgrade Deadmon before the deadline. They're waiving LJC - I don't think they'll feel any more obligated to Deadmon.

But I really doubt they would replace him for someone off the waiver wire, because they aren't likely to be much better than Deadmon, and they won't have the benefit of camp with the team. If they replace him, it almost has to be with someone who is a clear-cut upgrade, and that likely means trade.
    I was really referring to how with one less option, they are more committed to playing Dedmon now. It's just a numbers game. Can't and won't play only Pau/Lee/LMA. Have to play Dedmon where with LJC they had that other option. He's going to get minutes good or not (I am still excited about him).

I think there might be skill sets in the big bodies on waivers that might be interesting (especially as the year progresses kind of how like Boris got bought out and was a great upgrade).

Definitely think trade is viable too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But ya, this is not fantasy basketball. It's not all about short term and selling high value-wise. Spurs want to win and the two main guards (TP/Manu) are old and are very likely to miss games.

Spurs needed not only guard depth, but they are obviously hoping to strike gold cheaply and the only way to do that is with numbers.

Luckily, both the guys they kept looked the most talented out of the choices so that made it easier.

The bad news is they needed front court depth as well and they could not solve that problem right now.

But it was the right can to kick down the road.

Thread Information