Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not saying they need a far left speaker, I’m saying they need a speaker not named Nancy Pelosi
    Meh if anyone else get the speaker position they'll be vilified just like Pelosi. Left, center left, center, they'll all be Stalin to Clear Channel, Fox News, and Sinclair, and thus to the right wing base too.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Meh if anyone else get the speaker position they'll be vilified just like Pelosi. Left, center left, center, they'll all be Stalin to Clear Channel, Fox News, and Sinclair, and thus to the right wing base too.
    I don’t care about the fact she’s vilified by the right, I care more about the fact she’s completely unappealing to young voters who Democrats need to turn out in 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The German government also decides who does and doesn't go to this "free" college.

I do agree that US college education is obscenely expensive and lengthy. Part of that is the "required' classes where half of the classes that one is required to pay for have nothing to do with the degree being sought.
    Their approach is much better in that you really have to earn your spot in high school instead of our re ed system that tries to push every single student to college. And if you don't earn your spot in high school you can do an apprenticeship and earn your way into college. We'd be so much better off taking the German system as our model where high school kids not in the college track still learn useful vocational skills. American public education is great if you're college material (especially with AP classes) but just babysitting otherwise. It would be nice if our public schools taught things like plumbing, sheet metal, electric, truck driving, etc so everyone would come out of our schools with something useful.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Their approach is much better in that you really have to earn your spot in high school instead of our re ed system that tries to push every single student to college. And if you don't earn your spot in high school you can do an apprenticeship and earn your way into college. We'd be so much better off taking the German system as our model where high school kids not in the college track still learn useful vocational skills. American public education is great if you're college material (especially with AP classes) but just babysitting otherwise. It would be nice if our public schools taught things like plumbing, sheet metal, electric, truck driving, etc so everyone would come out of our schools with something useful.
    I still remember the one non-AP class I took my senior year (US History, just because the AP class for US History would have meant I couldn’t do half days) when the end of year project was everyone preparing a budget for how they planned to live on 8-9 bucks an hour

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t care about the fact she’s vilified by the right, I care more about the fact she’s completely unappealing to young voters who Democrats need to turn out in 2020.
    She passed the good version of the ACA that actually addressed costs despite enormous Republican opposition. She is unappealing because of opposition campaigns from Republicans. They'll run the same thing against anyone else who gets the job. I don't want to end up with some impotent asshole like Harry Reid who completely botched healthcare in the senate leading the house. I'll take Pelosi in the speakership since she gets done. The choice for president is what's going to drive turnout in 2020 and that's where they can't go establishment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still remember the one non-AP class I took my senior year (US History, just because the AP class for US History would have meant I couldn’t do half days) when the end of year project was everyone preparing a budget for how they planned to live on 8-9 bucks an hour
    Did you say you'd knock some up so you could be eligible for Medicaid in that exercise?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. It’s re ed that someone who majors in a STEM field like physics or math has to take a certain amount of “humanities” classes.
    Mildly disagree as a Molecular Biology major and Biochemistry Masters.

Some of my best teachers and most interesting classes were History, Government, and a Foreign Affairs elective. But I purposely chose the best teachers I knew of at UT for these subjects. I did not wander off to ACC or SAC to just get it over with. I must add that it was not that much more expensive however. So bang for the buck is a consideration if all you are after is $.

Doing what you like is even more important however. If you wake up Monday- Friday (Sat-Sun if needed) not wanting to work, have a good life.... Some people wanna go home to a big ole house and grouse about going to work, F that. The most content people I have met love their jobs. What is sad is not being able to get trained to do what you are really interested in. Because deep interest leads to persistence and resourcefulness. The best workers just get it done and relish in each accomplishment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, the first step in Trump getting re-elected would be Pelosi getting voted in again as speaker of the house.
    The second would be impeaching him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know when you graduated but for my recent hs graduate, it was a plan to live on $50k. Maybe they're taking into consideration bou's $25 min wage :-)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone made a good point about Pelosi, dont remember who but they said in a time where women just got elected to congress in masse, replacing her with a man would not only look bad but be a mistake.

The results are in, imo. The majority of Americans want Trump the outta there.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Don't know when you graduated but for my recent hs graduate, it was a plan to live on $50k. Maybe they're taking into consideration bou's $25 min wage :-)
    I graduated in 2008....in hindsight the project was effectively the prelude to a financial crisis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone made a good point about Pelosi, dont remember who but they said in a time where women just got elected to congress in masse, replacing her with a man would not only look bad but be a mistake.

I'd much prefer Pelosi to someone like Adam Schiff being the speaker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know about that. Trump hand picked DeSantis who will probably hold on to that 30k lead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about that. Trump hand picked DeSantis who will probably hold on to that 30k lead.
    The majority of American voters didn't want Trump in the first place.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The majority of American voters didn't want Trump in the first place.
    He said "Americans" - not voters - we don't know if that statement is true because many did not vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't saying the German system was bad...just that they control who does what...They don't put up with that "remedial" like we do in the US...If you can't go into college ready to do college work you don't go to college...that being said, they have awesome trade schools for alternative career paths.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't saying the German system was bad...just that they control who does what...They don't put up with that "remedial" like we do in the US...If you can't go into college ready to do college work you don't go to college...that being said, they have awesome trade schools for alternative career paths.
    And big agreement here.

Some kids start out slow and are culled in the German system at an early age. By the time some kids mature, they are relatively stuck in something they were chosen for at middle school age. That's not smart. But we may be doing things horribly backwards by continuing to shove college down everyone's throat. And our "trade schools" in HS are absolutely horrid from what I witnessed. They were holding tanks for kids who could not behave taught by teachers who did not really want to be a part of warehousing immature male teenagers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And big agreement here.

Some kids start out slow and are culled in the German system at an early age. By the time some kids mature, they are relatively stuck in something they were chosen for at middle school age. That's not smart. But we may be doing things horribly backwards by continuing to shove college down everyone's throat. And our "trade schools" in HS are absolutely horrid from what I witnessed. They were holding tanks for kids who could not behave taught by teachers who did not really want to be a part of warehousing immature male teenagers.
    Even the trade schools after high school leave a lot to be desired. I get job applicants all the time that "graduated" from 2 year welding schools that can't freaking weld.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Obamacare is incredibly flawed, didn't address the cost problem, and only tried to tackle access, at least it shook the status quo, and removed healthcare reform from it's old 'untouchable' status. We'll see if we use that extremely flawed system as a stepping stone to something better.
    I'm not so sure about that. Democrats got passed the ACA and got wiped out. Will they be willing to fall on the sword again once they regain power?

The public option was the real stepping stone.

Thread Information