Page 66 of 207 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 5170
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    CB Antwuan Davis and 2014 CB Darrion Johnson of Brenham have both been invited to the Rivals Five-Star Challenge this summer.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    HornsNation Q&A with S Adrian Colbert:

http://espn.go.com/colleges/texas/fo...adrian-colbert

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    24/7 reporting Stacy Searels was in Monroe, LA this morning to see 2014 OL Cameron Robinson. He will be high up, if not at the top, of the OOS list for that class. He has been invited to UT's underclassmen summer camp in June.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    FYI that 24/7 spoke with CB Cole Luke today. He said during his conversation with Akina that he wasn't given a deadline to commit and there was no mention of how many DBs Texas wants to ultimately take for this class. With Luke being the only pure CB left on the board, I think they take him no matter what if he wants to come aboard.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    For those of you who like speculation, Florida State to the Big XII rumors aren't going away because of the conference's new, lucrative television contract worth $2.6 billion:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/08...d-the-big-xii/

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    For those of you who like speculation, Florida State to the Big XII rumors aren't going away because of the conference's new, lucrative television contract worth $2.6 billion:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/08...d-the-big-xii/
    that would be nuts., wow. interesting.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    that would be nuts., wow. interesting.
    No figures have been publicized yet, but ESPN just extended their contract with the ACC. We'll see what the reviews are from those schools in the coming weeks.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...s-deal-2026-27

http://www.tomahawknation.com/

It appears that Tier1,Tier2,Tier3 for $16 mill/yr? Might be the impetus to make the Jump!

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Tweets on the new ACC deal. Had a feeling most of them wouldn't be happy:

Corey Clark‏@Corey_Clark
    W the difference in 3rd tier TV rights and eventual conf le game -you're looking at an 8 mil gap per yr per team between big 12 and ACC?

YouthSportsSanDiego‏@yssd
    FSU needs to catch the first thing smoking out of the ACC now that those contract #'s are out

Nearly $4 million a year looks good but giving up le game sponsorship rights and adding 4 more years to the contract is a lot to give up

Rob Mc.‏@RobMcCannell
    Make no mistake I prefer ACC effectively managing assets & letting schools maximize matketability over going B12. Not seeing that though.

Ingram Smith‏@IngramSmith
    New TV deal is nice, but modest increase in revenue, IMO ACC will have offer "eat what you kill" model to try to keep FSU, CU, Va Tech

Andrew Carter‏@_andrewcarter
    Extension announced today is for 16 years and worth $3.6 billion. Goes into effect on July 1. Means about $17 million per school per year.

Overall, ACC member schools will make $60 million more (compared to old deal) over duration of contract. About $4 mill more per year.

For ACC fans upset with new deal, blame failures of FSU, Clemson, VT, etc., etc. to compete consistently on national stage. More wins=more $

Ingram Smith‏@IngramSmith
    Final thought on New ACC deal. Friday night is for high schools, big east and Boise State. Major brands dont play on Friday night ...

TomahawkNation.com‏@TomahawkNation
    It is actually $16M per year not 17 because the ACC office takes a cut equal to that of one team I believe

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    This is a good breakdown from OrangeBloods on Florida State's current situation and why there are several reasons for exploring other conference options:

The Atlantic Coast Conference and ESPN today announced a new media rights package that will elevate the per school payout for television and digital revenue tied to football and basketball to roughly $17 million, up from the roughly $13 million per school previously.

The contract includes football-only third tier rights revenue. And that’s where the future of Florida State in the ACC and whether it would ever seriously consider jumping to the Big 12 could take on a life of its own.

The Seminoles are in one of the few states - with a population of 19 million - in which a university could turn its third-tier rights into the school’s own television network the way Texas has done in the Lone Star State (population 25.6 million).

TOO GOOD TO PASS UP?: One industry source said if Texas can command $300 million over 20 years - $15 million per year in additional TV revenue - for its own network, Florida State should be able to command at least a third that much ($5 million), if not more, in a state with so many television sets and a passion for FSU sports.

So before everyone dismisses Florida State ever taking a serious look at jumping from the ACC into the Big 12, consider that.

Now, with the contract between the ACC and ESPN being announced today, the decision of Florida State to stay or go from its current conference home becomes accelerated. Florida State officials could come out at any moment and say, definitively, the Seminoles are not leaving the ACC.

And then the latest five-alarm rumor involving potential realignment/expansion in college athletics would be hosed off.

MONEY IS AN ISSUE AT FSU: But to determine if Florida State to the Big 12 makes any sense or no sense, you have to look at the current landscape.

I’ve seen where Florida State is so committed to academics in the ACC, it would never leave a conference that averages a ranking of 43 in the 2012 U.S. News and World Report rankings of American colleges and universities.

But let me tell you what has the power to make boards of trustees at universities get away from what many would consider logical thinking: money.

And at Florida State right now, money is a problem.

Warchant.com, the Florida State site on the Yahoo/Rivals network, reported May 4 that Florida State is facing an athletics department shortfall of $2.4 million for the 2012-13 academic year.

And that’s coming on the heels of back-to-back nine-win seasons for football that included two sold out bowl games. Men’s basketball followed a Sweet 16 appearance in 2011 with an ACC Championship in 2012. And baseball has hosted back-to-back NCAA Regionals.

RENOVATIONS NEEDED: Combine this success on the field with the fact Florida State’s basketball arena and football stadium are in desperate need of renovation, and the Seminoles are probably taking a hard look at the ability to launch their own TV network in the Big 12.

Even with the new money from the ACC-ESPN contract, expected to provide an additional $4 million per year in revenue, Florida State is going to be hard-pressed to raise the kind of money needed for a major facility upgrade.

And while there’s some excitement that the recent success in Florida State sports will help spur a fund-raising drive, there is frustration in the fan base about a five-game home schedule this year against Savannah State, Murray State, Wake Forest, Duke and Boston College.

And with only Florida State, Virginia Tech and Clemson finishing in the Top 25, that schedule doesn’t figure to get much better.

CUTTING BACK: Florida State athletic director Randy Spetman told Warchant.com the answer will be to “cut back our budget next year pretty dramatically.” Warchant.com reported the number to cut is $2 million on top of the nearly $500,000 taken out of last year’s operating budget.

Could money end up being a driving force as Florida State decides whether to remain in the ACC?

After having conversations with people dialed into the administration at Florida State, there appears to be a sense that the board of trustees at FSU might be willing to explore all options.

A message left for board of trustees chairman Andrew Haggard at his law firm on Wednesday wasn’t immediately returned.

DISGRUNTLED FSU FANS: There is no doubt there is a growing sentiment in the Florida State fan base that a conference move to the Big 12 might be worth exploring. Many FSU fans have expressed their discontent on message boards and in social media.

They complain about the perception that ACC commissioner John Swofford, the former athletic director at North Carolina, caters to UNC basketball coach Roy Williams and Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski.
    They complain about the ACC adding Syracuse and Pittsburgh - two schools that have been more prominent in basketball than football for some time.

They complain about the ACC football officiating, including calls in last season’s 35-30 loss at Clemson that many Noles’ fans felt cost FSU a shot at the ACC le.

But those are fans and message boards right? Fans don’t matter in these equations right?

Wrong.

FANS MATTER: Ask Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne about reading the sentiment of the fan base and lining up on the right or wrong side of that sentiment. Byrne initially voiced support for staying in the Big 12 when a fan movement helped persuaded A&M’s board of regents to vote for a move to the Southeastern Conference.

Same for Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton, who was actively trying to save the Big 12 as the head of the Big 12 board of directors, when his own regents board advised Deaton to recuse himself from the post because the regents were ready to go in a different direction.

Again, Florida State could come out later today or tomorrow and say a move from the ACC to the Big 12 is utterly preposterous. But until that happens, there is reason to pay attention.

The ego stroke Florida State would get launching its own network in the Sunshine State because of its third-tier rights capability in the Big 12 would give the Seminoles something the Florida Gators and Miami Hurricanes could not match.

COMPETING WITH GATORS: Florida is barred from having its own network in the SEC. Miami doesn’t have the audience. If the financial models for a network come back favorable for FSU, the Seminoles could compare a $17 million payout in the ACC to a $19 million annual payout in the Big 12 and probably stack at least $5 million per year on top from its own network.

Suddenly, Florida State would be able to generate TV revenue on par with the Gators, who could earn upwards of $20 million per year once the SEC adjusts its TV deals with Texas A&M and Missouri included. And FSU would have a recruiting tool the Gators couldn’t match. And if Texas is any indication, some of the money from an independent network can be paid back to the university for academics.

Texas has pledged $5 million per year from the Longhorn Network back to academics for the first five years of its independent deal with ESPN. And for all the jokes about the Longhorn Network still not receiving wide distribution, that’s an ESPN problem, not Texas’. ESPN’s checks to the Longhorns are not bouncing.

FSU HAS A PRODUCT TO SELL: In order to launch a TV network, you have to have inventory. You have to have strong football, so you can create a ton of shoulder programming. You have to be relevant in basketball and baseball, a check mark for FSU.

The Olympic and non-revenue sports have to be strong, and FSU can boast that as well as evidenced by its Top 10 finish in the Director’s Cup the last two years.

Another common argument against Florida State joining the Big 12 is that it wouldn’t be politically strong enough to sit at the table with Texas and Oklahoma. If you have your own television network in the state of Florida, you just got a seat at the grownups’ table.

And then you have to consider where the Big 12 would be on expansion. And if you were listening carefully when new Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby was introduced and was asked about expansion, he didn’t talk about “a geographic footprint” the way interim commissioner Chuck Neinas did.

Bowlsby talked about an “electronic footprint.” Totally different.

BOWLSBY'S LEGACY: And credit Neinas for getting the Big 12 to agree to a 13-year granting of TV rights back to the conference as part of the league’s revised, 13-year, Tier 1 rights deal with ABC-ESPN, which should be finalized shortly. That will keep schools from being able to leave the Big 12 with their TV rights, effectively barring such a defection.

What does that leave for Bob Bowlsby’s legacy? With the Big 12’s TV deals essentially done and a 13-year granting of rights bonding the current 10 members in the league for that length of time, does Bowlsby look at expansion as his legacy?

For weeks and months, I had been told the Big 12 was good with 10 schools. Nine conference football games. Home-and-home in basketball league games. Good. No need for a Big 12 championship football game because it would only risk knocking a possible undefeated or one-loss team out of a national le shot with an upset.

But last week I talked to some people who said, “Well, if it’s the right two.” And that was different from what I had heard before.

I was also told that studies had been done looking at what value might be added if any of the original members of the Big East (Louisville, Cincinnati, etc.) would bring to the Big 12, and that report did not come back favorably, sources said.

That leaves some interesting candidates who could probably benefit from having the ability to launch their own network. The most likely to benefit from such an opportunity would be Notre Dame and Florida State.

The Big 12 has repeatedly indicated to Notre Dame it could bring its non-football sports to the Big 12 and keep football as independent, allowing the Irish to keep their football contract with NBC while launching a Tier 3 network.

So far, Notre Dame has indicated it’s just fine. We’ll see if Florida State does the same.

south central hood rat the chronic's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    My bro is in FL and says local news blowing up on ACC contract and how it compares to B12, another article here on FSU -

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ida-state.html

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    @SBN_Wescott: Rivals tOSU affiliate quoting DeSoto APB Dontre Wilson Wed. as saying he's down to Buckeyes, Ducks, has pushed back decision. #hookem

Has shaken hands with #50 ThePop's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I don't blame Wilson in eliminating the Horns. Really deep at running back with a RB already committed in this class, and being told he would play the DJ Monroe role. Not sure when Ohio State got into this but it's gotta be Oregon for him.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    @SBN_Wescott: Rivals tOSU affiliate quoting DeSoto APB Dontre Wilson Wed. as saying he's down to Buckeyes, Ducks, has pushed back decision. #hookem
    FWIW, his father shot that report down but I don't think it even matters for Texas. Hadn't seen where he re-scheduled his decision.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    My bro is in FL and says local news blowing up on ACC contract and how it compares to B12, another article here on FSU -

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ida-state.html
    Money talks and FSU needs it. I believe the revenue for each team in the Big XII grows that much more if FSU enters the mix.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Update on 2014 DE Hoza Scott from La Porte...Major Applewhite is his lead recruiter and he was by the school recently. Scott says he's developing a good relationship with him and he expects Manny Diaz by next week. As far as a decison goes (there have been rumors he would commit to A&M this spring), he says he plans on taking his time with the process beginning with attending several summer camps. He plans on being at Texas' underclassmen camp in June. He also mentioned that A&M is the slight leader right now because it's the only campus he's visited so far.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    OU suspends four players indefinitely:

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma...s-indefinitely

Post Count
    Money talks and FSU needs it. I believe the revenue for each team in the Big XII grows that much more if FSU enters the mix.
    From what I have read the revenue increases 2mil per team added. So with 2 more teams the total revenue for each team would be 24 mil per season. I will try and find the article to back this up but that is a huge difference for teams like FSU.
    Last edited by yavozerb; 05-10-2012 at 08:49 AM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Update on 2014 DE Hoza Scott from La Porte...Major Applewhite is his lead recruiter and he was by the school recently. Scott says he's developing a good relationship with him and he expects Manny Diaz by next week. As far as a decison goes (there have been rumors he would commit to A&M this spring), he says he plans on taking his time with the process beginning with attending several summer camps. He plans on being at Texas' underclassmen camp in June. He also mentioned that A&M is the slight leader right now because it's the only campus he's visited so far.
    Thanks for the post, great info and glad to hear caveat that the leader comment is at least partially based on that being only campus he's visited.

The 2014 class will be interesting because many (if not most) of the elite Texas prospects are showing little to no love for the Horns at this point. The staff definitely has work cut out for them, unlike most years when lots of the top guys are practically locks from the start.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Glad that Major has the lead on his recruitment...here's a blurb I got from an SEC recruiting board...

It’s been a big week for La Porte (Texas) LB/DE Hoza Scott with the class of 2014 standout landing offers from Alabama and LSU in a matter of hours. The 6-foot-3, 225-pounder’s offer from the Crimson Tide came in first and was delivered over the phone by head coach Nick Saban.

“Alabama told me that they were going to offer me a scholarship and my reaction was like, ‘wow the number one team in the nation is offering me a scholarship this early’,” said Scott. “Coach (Burton) Burns came by the school and I talked to Nick Saban. He’s a real cool coach to talk to and is easy to get along with it seems like. He really wants me to get out there this summer. I’m planning on (visiting Alabama).”

LSU came by La Porte shortly thereafter and wasted no time throwing their hat in the ring for the Lonestar defender.

“Coach (Thomas) McGaughey came to the school and said that he was going offer me a scholarship and how I’m a great football player. That offer was exciting, too.”

Alabama and LSU join new SEC West foe Texas A&M in the fight for the Houston area prospect, who grew up cheering for the Aggies despite his brothers Yusuf and Gainus playing their college ball at Arizona.

“I like that A&M has nice facilities- they have a nice workout room and they’re building another new one. I like the environment- it’s real nice and the people that are there are real nice and cool. I grew up cheering for A&M mostly, really.”

Scott has an early top group and says he hopes to have a decision soon after his junior season.

“I have a top six- Alabama, A&M, UT (Texas), LSU, California, and Florida. They’re all coming at me pretty hard. I might do it early to get all the stuff out of the way so I can just focus on football. It will probably be right after football next year.”

The future four-star prospect hopes to take visits to the four out-of-state programs that sit in his top six.

“I’m trying to go to Florida. My brother, Gainus, lives out there, so I could easily go there. I’m trying to go to California, but that might be hard. I’m also trying to go to LSU and Alabama. I’m looking to see if their graduation rate is, if their work ethic is good, and if they have one goal to be the best team in college.”

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Thanks for the post, great info and glad to hear caveat that the leader comment is at least partially based on that being only campus he's visited.
    To add to what ATX posted above, I think Scott grew up rooting for A&M because his grandfather has a connection to the school. He either attended A&M or that was his favorite team (or both).

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    From what I have read the revenue increases 2mil per team added. So with 2 more teams the total revenue for each team would be 24 mil per season. I will try and find the article to back this up but that is a huge difference for teams like FSU.
    That sounds accurate and the their athletic department just announced a $2.4 million budget shortfall. Their fans are already making moves. A campaign for realignment is being started by the Florida State Rivals site, Warchant.com. It's launching to Facebook soon and apparently a Twitter campaign will follow. Here's the excerpt from the site:

There is obviously a lot of discussion among our fan base in favor of FSU leaving the ACC, or at least exploring our options. However, sitting around on a message board and complaining about it doesn't get the job done. If you want to effect change, you have to affect the minds of the decision makers. If you will think back to a year or so ago, the decision makers at both Texas A&M and Missouri did not want to leave the Big 12. The reason they both ended up leaving the Big 12 is because of outcry from fans and alumni to change their position. Who are the decision makers you might ask? Here is where you can start:

Eric Barron, University President: [email protected] (850) 644-1085

Andy Haggard, Chairman of the Board of Trustees: [email protected] 305-446-5700

Susie Busch-Transou, Vice-Chairman of the Board of Trustees: [email protected] 850-539-2565

Allen Bense, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 850-769-3477

Ed Burr, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 904-998-8841

Dr. Joe Camps, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 850-309-0400

Emily Fleming Duda, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 407-365-6336

Joe Gruters, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 941-747?0500

Mark Hillis, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 850-524-2035

James Kinsey, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 239-939-1367 ext. 200

Sandra Lewis, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 850-644-8409

Peggy Rolando, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 305-379-9144

Brent Sembler, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 727-544-4244

Rueben Stokes, Board of Trustees: [email protected] 850-644-1811

Randy Spetman, FSU AD: [email protected] (850) 644-1079

Those are your main decision makers at the university folks.

If you want to see FSU in a new conference, you must change the minds of the decision makers. That means you need to email and call all of them and express your opinion. Do so respectfully. Let them know that you support FSU and want what is best for it. Do not threaten to withhold money from the university if we do not switch conferences, but if you do give money to the university, let them know. Oh and it can't stop with just you. You must email and call everyone of your friends who are Noles and convince them to do the same. Use social media, whether it be Facebook or Twitter and let the world know how you feel about what FSU is doing and where we should do.

I am not personally advocating staying in the ACC or leaving at this point. However, I know there are many of you who feel passionately on this subject. If you feel passionately about this subject, you have the ability to effect real change at your university. Don't just sit around and talk about it on Warchant, but empower your fellow Noles and the decision makers who matter to understand your point of view. That doesn't mean you will necessarily get your way. However, if you want change to happen, you need to step up and take charge. ~ DemocraticNole

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Quotes from 2014 DE Hoza Scott:

"It gives me motivation to keep trying and trying. That was one of my goals. To become one of the best players in the state of Texas, and I've accomplished it," Scott said. "It really shocked me (being named the #1 player for 2014) and in my mind I said if I keep on going and going and I'll be successful."

"I have a top seven. I have A&M, Alabama, LSU, California, Florida, and UCLA, and UT," Scott said. "I fit in those kind of places. They're just nice campuses. Everything just seems nice. Those are the colleges I want to go and visit. I visited A&M and it was real nice and I felt like I would fit in there and everything. Everyone was nice to me and all that. I think if I went to other colleges I would like them too but I have to see first."

"No, not really (A&M being the clear leader)," he said on the subject. "A&M is kind of a little bit because that's the only one I've been to so that's why it's like that right now."

"He's real cool (Major Applewhite)," Scott said. "He asked me what kind of music I listen to and he wants to meet my family when my family goes there to meet him. He's a real cool coach. I think I get along with him real well."

Has shaken hands with #50 ThePop's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Quotes from the father of RB Dontre Wilson (24/7):

"That was taken out of context or misunderstood," Wilson said. "Tre (Dontre) was talking about the offenses in terms of how they fit him. Most can see that Oregon and Ohio State are a little bit ahead in terms of Texas. But at the end of the day, Tre hasn't even visited Ohio State. They have a ton of ground to make up on Oregon and Texas."

"We aren't talking about football right now as much as people probably think," he said. "Tomorrow is a big day and we take track very seriously, probably more serious than a lot of other people do."

"Like I said before, Tre hasn't even visited Ohio State, he's not going to commit to a school he's never seen. Urban Meyer is coming really hard but they still have a lot of ground to make up. We will talk about it as a family after track is over this weekend. Right now I think he's pretty likely to go ahead and make his commitment as planned."

Thread Information