Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just want to clarify that my (yes!) was to answer Kori in response to cutting Brewer. I'm not and never will celebrate dealing Malik Rose who has huge BALLS and is a great team player.

The positives are that we get some cap relief down the road and we add length to the roster. Malik is going to be missed in more than just energy but his heart and loyalty as well.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, how is it pronounced? "NAzzer," "NaZIR," or "AntWAN"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From a basketball angle I'd say this deal is a wash to perhaps a slight disadvantage to the Spurs. Mohammed's put up decent stats in the bigman starved East, yet Malik was proven in the Spurs' system and was a proven playoff performer. The 3 inches or whatever that Mohammed has on Malik means a lot less than what some here believe. The draft pick is more than I would like to have seen given up from a talent perspective.

From a financial perspective it's a good day for Holt Cat. Not only do the Spurs reduce their salary commitment from the 4 years on Malik's contract to the 2 remaining after this season on Mohammed's, but they also lose the guaranteed salary that comes along with a future 1st round pick.

At least the Spurs didn't deal Rose for the rotting corpse of Cliff Robinson's career to make a few extra bucks.

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Confirmed on ESPNews. Spurs trade Rose and 2 1st round picks for Nazr and Jamison
    2 first rounders? For Jamison now and not Brewer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is one reason the spurs trade 1st round picks, and one reason alone.

Guarnteed Contracts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jamison Brewer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, how is it pronounced? "NAzzer," "NaZIR," or "AntWAN"?
    "NAH-zee." I think there's a little gutteral sound at the end, like the "r" in "bonjour," but we Anglophones can ignore it.

Remember it's "NAH-zee," not "NAH-tsee."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jamison Brewer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jamison is Brewer.

Well looks like the Spurs just doubled their pleasure with the picks. If Mohammed doesn't break into the starting lineup this deal really looks like less to be excited about. Spurs will also find themselves potentially having to re-sign Mohammed in about 2 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    March 21 @ MSG the Spurs and Malik re-unite

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, so it really IS "Na-zee"... I always thought that was just his nickname, like "Timmy" or "Baggy."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those who didn't know, Nazr was like 400 pounds when he got to Kentucky. He worked hard and has made a career for himself. He's injury prone and can still balloon sometimes, but when the other options are Karl Malone and Cliff Robinson ... I'll take him.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those who didn't know, Nazr was like 400 pounds when he got to Kentucky. He worked hard and has made a career for himself. He's injury prone and can still balloon sometimes, but when the other options are Karl Malone and Cliff Robinson ... I'll take him.
    Can you explain why they had to make this trade now, and not look for a better player in the offseason?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Knicks agreed to two deals before Thursday's NBA trading deadline to acquire Malik Rose and two No. 1 picks from San Antonio and forward Maurice Taylor from Houston.

Both deals were awaiting league approval one hour after the NBA's 3 p.m. EST trade deadline and hadn't yet been finalized.

The Knicks would send starting center Nazr Mohammed and backup point guard Jamison Brewer to the Spurs for Rose and the two picks -- a first-round choice in 2005 that originally belonged to Phoenix, and San Antonio's No. 1 pick in 2006.

In the Taylor trade, Houston would get backup center Vin Baker and point guard Moochie Norris.

The moves appeared to be a sign that Knicks president Isiah Thomas was placing a greater emphasis on rebuilding through the draft.

New York would have its own No. 1 and the Suns' first-round pick this June, and the 2006 pick from the Spurs would put the Knicks back into the first-round of that draft. Thomas traded the Knicks' own 2006 first-round pick to Phoenix as part of the Stephon Marbury deal.

So while their Atlantic Division opponents all made significant upgrades -- New Jersey dealt for Vince Carter and Cliff Robinson, Philadelphia got Chris Webber and Rodney Rogers, and Boston agreed to a deal with Atlanta to reacquire Antoine Walker -- the Knicks made two moves that left little-used Bruno Sundov as their only true center.

Kurt Thomas, the player most frequently mentioned in pre-deadline trade speculation surrounding the Knicks, will likely move back to center -- the position he played before Mohammed was acquired from Atlanta slightly more than a year ago.

Rose and Taylor would add depth at the power forward spot, where the Knicks have been giving an increased role to second-year forward Michael Sweetney.

New York (21-33) was in last place in the Atlantic Division heading into its game Thursday night against Philadelphia.

For the Spurs, the acquisition of Mohammed would provide an additional option at center behind Rasho Nesterovic. Mohammed, in his seventh NBA season, also could be used as the backup to Tim Duncan at power forward -- the role Rose had for the last 71/2 seasons.

Mohammed was averaging 10.9 points and 8.1 rebounds for the Knicks, while Rose averaged 6.3 points and 4.5 rebounds for San Antonio.

Rose, a fan favorite in San Antonio, was nearly dealt to the Knicks a year ago for Kurt Thomas in a deadline-day trade that fell through at the last minute.

Norris, who averaged 2.6 points and 1.1 assists in a limited role backing up Stephon Marbury, was the second point guard acquired by Houston on Thursday. Earlier, the Rockets got playmaker Mike James, along with center Zendon Hamilton, from Milwaukee for Reece Gaines and two second-round picks.

Baker also was playing sparingly for the Knicks, averaging a team-low 1.4 points. The four-time All Star, in his 12th season, would join a Houston roster that already includes ex-Knicks Charlie Ward, Dikembe Mutombo and Clarence Weatherspoon.

Blog Boy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you explain why they had to make this trade now, and not look for a better player in the offseason?
    Because Isiah is the only GM stupid enough to take Rose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, again, Spurs make this trade because they just dumped about $25 mil net in guaranteed salaries after this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True timvp.

I don't think he's ever been questioned for not working hard but the injury bug has been what he is dogged for most of the time. He will work at it and bang but Malik Rose could spark the team when he played with confidence.

Give Peace a Chance....Imagine? ZStomp's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. It's happened.

It's finally happened!

It's a sad day.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, again, Spurs make this trade because they just dumped about $25 mil net in guaranteed salaries after this season.

Did Malik put a gun to Pop's head when they gave him that contract? Everyone holds that contract against Malik, Pop gave it to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, now if they managed to sneak Antawn in on the deal somehow, that wouldn't be so bad . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bizarrely, it's pronounced Nah-Zee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't ask the question then.

Germany's #1 Spurs Fan Streakyshooter08's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs sign Scola this summer they will be okay with C/F. You would have 4 relativley "young" bigs.

Rasho /Nazr
    Timmy/ Scola

looks allright to me. But I am also sad because I liked Malik. By the way: how many time is left till the deadline ends? I don't know what time you have over there. Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two first round draft picks?

Damn.

That makes it a little harder to swallow. Unless the Spurs expect big things from Nazr, it doesn't make sense to trade Rose and two first round draft picks just to get rid of him.

Now if Nazr starts in place of Rasho, this is a steal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did Malik put a gun to Pop's head when they gave him that contract? Everyone holds that contract against Malik, Pop gave it to him.
    Did you never make a mistake, and have to clean up a mess? And as to your loyalty card, Malik was talking to the Lakers that year. A gun, of sorts.

Thread Information