Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    You think YOUR job sucks? Hoover's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Making progressive acquisitions is the only way the Spurs can get any media attention. First they go with a foreign assistant coach, then the first women assistant coach, and I guess the final free agent acquisition will be Collins.
    We all know how much the Spurs CRAVE media attention, too.

You're a ing idiot, go find a Cavs board and suck Lebron's already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...eefy8/12-1.jpg[/img]

She's cute but Always use those pants?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The post you're responding to (the first one) is talking about Hammond becoming a head coach, not an assistant. Pop had years of experience under coaching legends by the time he got the big chair.
    Sure, but Popovich was not hired by a championship team, on the other hand the bar for Becky is set really high. I don´t think the core of the spurs will have a problem with her beeing a woman, they will have a problem if her takes are less than great, because they are aiming to nothing more that another championship.

Anyway, is a risky move by Popovich, and not for her beeing a woman.

I'm not going to dig back through SpursTalk archives, or old media articles. But there have been many comments made about Pop's lack of NBA experience, and how it might affect his credibility with actual NBA players. When they lost games, the Pop haters made comments to the effect of, "What do you expect from a guy who never played in the NBA himself?"

You'll notice that you don't hear those comments anymore. Winning does that.

And no, the original comment didn't say anything about "head" coaching. It said that she might not understand the crazy athletic prowess of NBA players, since she's never been there. It also mentioned Messina possibly having the same problem. Both of them are assistants, not head coaches.

I wasn't bashing the OP, just pointing out that the issue of no NBA experience was pointed toward Pop, and he did fine. A lot of ex-players have failed as coaches, so that's not really the test. Pop had the benefit of coaching under some great head coaches. Becky Hammon will be learning from one of the best. She may not turn out to be head coach material - but she has all of the qualifications she needs. This isn't a publicity stunt by Spurs' management. If they didn't see real potential, she would be a distraction. They don't do distractions. Especially with a very real possibility of a repeat Championship, and at the close of Tim and Manu's careers.

Sure, but Popovich was not hired by a championship team, on the other hand the bar for Becky is set really high. I don´t think the core of the spurs will have a problem with her beeing a woman, they will have a problem if her takes are less than great, because they are aiming to nothing more that another championship.

If you've ever watched her on the court, you know that she is more than up to the pressure. Generally speaking, she sets her own bar very high.

As far as her takes being great - Pop used to give PJ Carlessimo a world of because he followed a bunch of stats that Pop didn't believe in. But he listened to and respected PJ. If her takes weren't already pretty good, she wouldn't have been hired. It really is that simple.
    Last edited by GSH; 08-05-2014 at 07:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs continue to beat the rest of the league to the punch. Foreign players can clearly compete in the NBA, and my guess is that Becky will a more than able assistant coach on the team. This will work and likely be copied throughout the league.
    Hard to believe the pathetic WNBA has been financially propped up for (at least) 16 yrs. Modern man has become such a coward that they are mental eunuchs.

Veritas & Aequitas

"For God...Family...Property...and Economic Freedom"

Working to end property and income taxes for Texans

V for Victory...and Viva Cristo Rey!

"The whole world is dividing itself into (liberals) and conservatives. The job of the (liberals) is
    to go on making mistakes. The job of the conservatives is to prevent those mistakes from
    being corrected." -- Gilbert Keith Chesterton, April 19, 1924

"So long as the legislative machine is controlled by and composed of the monopolists,
    all efforts at restoring healthy economic life will fail." -- Hilaire Belloc

"An ingrained habit of the defensive is a prime condition of defeat." -- Hilaire Belloc

"Your Choice Texans: Ballots or Bullets."
    "Assure Clean Elections...or Die(bold)!!" [ACE/Die]
    "ACE...otherwise, don't waste my time!!"

SpUrsFan4EteRniTy! howbouthemspurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She's gonna be the Hottest NBA coach ever!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not going to dig back through SpursTalk archives, or old media articles. But there have been many comments made about Pop's lack of NBA experience, and how it might affect his credibility with actual NBA players. When they lost games, the Pop haters made comments to the effect of, "What do you expect from a guy who never played in the NBA himself?"

You'll notice that you don't hear those comments anymore. Winning does that.

And no, the original comment didn't say anything about "head" coaching. It said that she might not understand the crazy athletic prowess of NBA players, since she's never been there. It also mentioned Messina possibly having the same problem. Both of them are assistants, not head coaches.

I wasn't bashing the OP, just pointing out that the issue of no NBA experience was pointed toward Pop, and he did fine. A lot of ex-players have failed as coaches, so that's not really the test. Pop had the benefit of coaching under some great head coaches. Becky Hammon will be learning from one of the best. She may not turn out to be head coach material - but she has all of the qualifications she needs. This isn't a publicity stunt by Spurs' management. If they didn't see real potential, she would be a distraction. They don't do distractions. Especially with a very real possibility of a repeat Championship, and at the close of Tim and Manu's careers.
    I already corrected myself in the post after the one you quoted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Conservative are just obsolete people afraid of the reality. Too stupid, too weak, too bad, can't stand the world changes and advance.

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green coming up on SportsCenter...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “I very much look forward to the addition of Becky Hammon to our staff,”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky as Pop.

Becky staring daggers at the media after a tough loss.

Becky: "Is that a question?"

Reporter: "Uh, uh, uh . . ."

Becky: "You mean someone pays you to ask a question like that?"

Becky stomps off in contempt . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that she spent most of last season with the team is a big part of this. She's been around the players for an extended amount of time. They know here relatively well and from everything I've seen and read, they feel comfortable around her. She knows the game, she played at the highest level of her sport and is one of the best to ever do it. It's not like she's going to be Pop's tight hand, she's joining a team of assistants and she'll have to earn her respect like the rest of the. Good hire imo.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    knicks got fined for hiring their coach before retirement, i mean there's precedent there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even with the advancements in today's society, I'd say there's virtually no chance that a locker room full of men will take orders from a woman coach.
    Advancements? That's gotta be said by either a feminazi or a eunuch.
    They will not only take orders from a woman, since they've been conditioned to for decades, but they'll like it...and if they don't then Mr. Politically Correct, Pop, who is about as PC as they come, will get on their ass. Such a coward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I firmly believe Udoka will succeed Pop.
    No. My bet is they will bring Mike B. back, maybe sooner if he flames out in Atlanta. PATFO let him go so he could get some HC experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. My bet is they will bring Mike B. back, maybe sooner if he flames out in Atlanta. PATFO let him go so he could get some HC experience.
    Bud's gone, and he's not coming back. Same with Brown. I honestly don't think they were ever going to succeed Pop. That was Vaughn's job, but Orlando jumped way early. Now, it's Udoka.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You're one of the same winners that was defending Manu's extremely reckless and risky behavior, but hiring Becky is too risky for you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bud's gone, and he's not coming back. Same with Brown. I honestly don't think they were ever going to succeed Pop. That was Vaughn's job, but Orlando jumped way early. Now, it's Udoka.
    Exactly. Bud did an amazing job last year with that Hawks team despite losing its best player. If Embiid is halfway decent, Philly is going to be a force to be reckoned with a few years from now and Brown will be in a great situation. Noel will be the best player from last year's draft, plus they have Saric and MCW on the cheap. Will be interesting to see what happens with that cap space.

I'm crossing my fingers for Vaughn in Orlando, but seems like the team has a lot of mismatched pieces.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green coming up on SportsCenter...
    what did he say

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Standing Ovation For Spurs:

If you’re looking for yet another reason to love the San Antonio Spurs, the team’s latest hire might just help your cause.

On Tuesday, the reigning NBA champions announced they had hired Becky Hammon as an assistant coach. Yes, you read that correctly. The six-time WNBA All-Star and beloved San Antonio Star will join the coaching staff after she retires at the end of the season.

I will now give you a moment to do your favorite celebratory dance or find the hand-clapping emoji on your phone.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-li...-ovation-spurs
    Didn't know ESPN had a feminazi section, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't know ESPN had a feminazi section, tbh
    You miss the SAS thread downstairs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You miss the SAS thread downstairs?
    did they get rid of it? didn't know

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what did he say
    Meh the usual stuff about respecting her as a basketball person and getting to know her a bit better last season. He was honest but not that open about the inner-workings of the organization. Nothing extraordinary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker is married assholes
    Did not appear to stop him before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is phenomenal. Spurs are such an awesome organization.

Thread Information