Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Awesome, but I'm going to have to pretend like it doesn't exist for two more years. I was really fortunate to discover RQW a month or so after WoO was released. It's going in my wish list so I can make sure to pick it up when it's on sale.

Books I've read over the last four-plus months:

Cycle of Arwan and first two books of Cycle of Galand: Series started off slowly, but it really grew on me as it went on. Can't wait for the third CoG book to come out on Audible.

The Hike: Very solid short book about a guy walking through the woods.

Sphere: Compelling book that was apparently made into a bad movie.

Seventh Bride: Another cheap book that was actually pretty funny. The ending was weak, but the whole felt pretty nice overall. Never tried to be more than it was.

Riyria: I don't see it listed here. Red all nine books of that. It was fun.

American Gods: Probably doesn't need an explanation.

Speaks the Nightbird: Thought it was a perfect example of Gothic Horror. It manages to do all of that while being realistic, which is impressive. It's not exactly Hawthornesque in terms of prose, but it is written in a old-feeling style, which can be a turn-off.
    I'm gonna check out Riyria, sounds cool.

I read the first two books of Joe Nesbo's Harry Hole detective books, pretty good. Waiting on the third from library in eBook.

Finally read The Broken Earth, it was pretty good.

Read the second of the Vorrh trilogy, The Erstwhile. Very weird, liked it a lot.

Finished Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne by Brian Stavely. The first book is the best.

The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington was awesome.

Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins was incredibly good.

Read about 7 Brent Weeks books - his first trilogy, Night Angel, was pretty good. His second series, the Lightbringer, is 4 books in, and I love it.

I'm re-reading Robin Hobb's books to get ready for her final book about FitzChivalry next month. Some of my favorite books starting with Assassin's Apprentice.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Riyria is good. The author recommends you read Revelations before Chronicles (so in publication order), but I'd recommend in reverse, because Chronicles comes before Revelations chronologically, and I retrospectively found it harder to care about the prequels after having read the main series.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    War Chief....Edgar Rice Burrough, yes the creator of Tarzan and the John Carter on Mars stories wrote westerns. Great read and it makes ya wonder why he didn't just stick to westerns.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    The third book of Cycle of Galand just dropped on Audible, and I am finished with it. Easily the best in the series. It feels like the fourth book should be the final one, but the author says he's only half-way through this second series. It's really cool to see how much better a writer can get by looking at each book in a series. Started off (first trilogy) feeling like a forgettable fantasy world, and now it's up there with best I've read. The next book comes out next month in print. Might have to make the time to read it rather than letting Tim Gerard Reynolds do it for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Riyria is good. The author recommends you read Revelations before Chronicles (so in publication order), but I'd recommend in reverse, because Chronicles comes before Revelations chronologically, and I retrospectively found it harder to care about the prequels after having read the main series.
    Finished Crown Tower last night, really enjoyed it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Finished Crown Tower last night, really enjoyed it.
    Glad you liked it. Apparently, there is a fourth Chronicles book coming out soon. I'd definitely read Rose & Thorn before getting started on Revelations. Those two (CT and R&T) form the origin story, with the rest of Chronicles is supposed to be stand-alone novels. I really liked Death of Dulgath, but it's not as necessary to read that one before reading the main series, as it has no long term effects on the universe.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yo...is the Red Rising series worth reading? I started the first one but got sidetracked.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Glad you liked it. Apparently, there is a fourth Chronicles book coming out soon. I'd definitely read Rose & Thorn before getting started on Revelations. Those two (CT and R&T) form the origin story, with the rest of Chronicles is supposed to be stand-alone novels. I really liked Death of Dulgath, but it's not as necessary to read that one before reading the main series, as it has no long term effects on the universe.
    Just finished all of them, great stuff. Also been reading Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series, also excellent

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Odd John....Olaf Stapeldon

Odd John

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    First edition cover
    Author Olaf Stapledon
    Country United Kingdom
    Language English
    Genre Science fiction novel
    Published 1935 (Methuen)
    Media type Print (hardback & paperback)
    Odd John: A Story Between Jest and Earnest is a 1935 science fiction novel by the British author Olaf Stapledon. The novel explores the theme of the Übermensch (superman) in the character of John Wainwright, whose supernormal human mentality inevitably leads to conflict with normal human society and to the destruction of the utopian colony founded by John and other superhumans.
    The novel resonates with the ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche and the work of English writer J. D. Beresford, with an allusion to Beresford's superhuman child character of Victor Stott in The Hampdenshire Wonder (1911). As the devoted narrator remarks, John does not feel obliged to observe the restricted morality of sapiens. Stapledon's recurrent vision of cosmic angst – that the universe may be indifferent to intelligence, no matter how spiritually refined – also gives the story added depth. Later explorations of the theme of the superhuman and of the incompatibility of the normal with the supernormal occur in the works of Stanisław Lem, Frank Herbert, Wilmar Shiras, Robert Heinlein and Vernor Vinge, among others.
    The book is mentioned by Julian May in Intervention, part of the Galactic Milieu Series. It is also responsible for coining the term " superior".[1][2]

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Just finished all of them, great stuff. Also been reading Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series, also excellent
    I haven't looked at those. I've gone through a number of books, including the Spells, Swords & Stealth series by Drew Hayes. Those books are like popcorn. Read The Left Hand of Darkness by LeGuin, which was interesting. Finally got around to The Curse of Jacob Tracy. Not happy that there's no sequel until the end of next year. Also did Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear. Annoyed that I started the series and am in the holding pattern with everyone else.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I haven't looked at those. I've gone through a number of books, including the Spells, Swords & Stealth series by Drew Hayes. Those books are like popcorn. Read The Left Hand of Darkness by LeGuin, which was interesting. Finally got around to The Curse of Jacob Tracy. Not happy that there's no sequel until the end of next year. Also did Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear. Annoyed that I started the series and am in the holding pattern with everyone else.
    I've been waiting for about 6 years on Doors of Stone now. It's amazing how upset some people are on how long it is taking, but as long as it's good i'm fine.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    wondering if Avante has given this one a read

some good, compelling stuff

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I haven't looked at those. I've gone through a number of books, including the Spells, Swords & Stealth series by Drew Hayes. Those books are like popcorn. Read The Left Hand of Darkness by LeGuin, which was interesting. Finally got around to The Curse of Jacob Tracy. Not happy that there's no sequel until the end of next year. Also did Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear. Annoyed that I started the series and am in the holding pattern wi.
    Jesus... Strange stuff...

Le Guin. The Word For World Is Forest.

Amazingly I stumbled upon, The Word For Worlds is Forest. It has some amazing biology thoughts in it for a fairly older book. Then I had to read The Left Hand of Darkness. I found the former to be uncommonly good for one of a series (did not read any of the others, any series gets old for me) Then..... I accidentally wandered into a person at the airport who had to read it as a part of a English/Science class at Rice. We spent a couple of hours talking about the book as this person was an English major but had to write a science paper on it (The Word For...) This was just a few months ago.

Le Guin is clearly an ardent feminist. But she came up with some very clever Biology/Ecology.
    My review as a hater of Science Fiction but a lover of Science.
    Cant believe I actually liked it. And I thought no one else could possibly like either.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Been thinking about joining audible. How exactly does that work Chinook?

Can you listen and download all their books for a monthly sub? Or are you stuck to listening on their own site?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    wondering if Avante has given this one a read

some good, compelling stuff
    I own 23 books on Islam, the Middle East, being a Muslim, why I'm no longer a Muslim, the history of all that violence and why we have it. Trust me when I tell you this....

Those people cannot seperate ancient times from today and that is the problem, they can't figure out all that in the Koran was for a totally diffrent world, they think it still applies to modern times. Then we add the fact they just don;t have enough things going on to keep their mind occupied on things other than religion. No NFL, NCAA, MMA, pro rasslin', rock and roll, Hollywood, NBA, etc etc. Imagine you living in a world like that, yes you'd be demented and dangerous.

My Judy is a leader, she was captain of her volleyball team in college, a class president in HS, owns her own business and is a leader at her church, she takes no from anyone and there is no way in she's wearing all that stupid gard and letting a man boss her around, that will not happen. So to live like Muslim women are forced to live...hahahaha~~~~~~

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Been thinking about joining audible. How exactly does that work Chinook?

Can you listen and download all their books for a monthly sub? Or are you stuck to listening on their own site?
    You get credits that allow you to acquire a book or two each month. So it's not unlimited, but you keep your books if you unsubscribe and can redownload them whenever.

You can listen off site by downloading onto you device. They are your books, after all. They also have daily and monthly sales on books, so evem though it feels expensive and limited to start, within a couple of months, you can really start getting your money's worth, provided you use it.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You get credits that allow you to acquire a book or two each month. So it's not unlimited, but you keep your books if you unsubscribe and can redownload them whenever.

You can listen off site by downloading onto you device. They are your books, after all. They also have daily and monthly sales on books, so evem though it feels expensive and limited to start, within a couple of months, you can really start getting your money's worth, provided you use it.
    That's too bad.

Doesn't sound like I would benefit from it.

I'd be more than willing to pay a monthly fee if it means I could pick a book whenever I want.

The whole wait a month is not really my thing. Do they stack up?

I see it like Netlix, there are times I could go weeks and months without using it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    That's too bad.

Doesn't sound like I would benefit from it.

I'd be more than willing to pay a monthly fee if it means I could pick a book whenever I want.

The whole wait a month is not really my thing. Do they stack up?

I see it like Netlix, there are times I could go weeks and months without using it.
    They don't stack up any faster than you'd expect. But what makes them stretch is that you can get severe discounts on books via the daily deals. Each day, they sell a book for between two and six bucks. Those tend to be highly rated books, so even if you don't know anything about them or they aren't your genre, they're usually pretty good. Those stack up really quickly, and most of my favorite books I've picked up that way.

Also those monthly sales are often BOGO for credits, so if you have a few credits saved up, you can get a lot of books at once. I have more than 200 books that I've picked up since June 2015. Listened to about 150 in that time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Outside of sales, I only use credits on sequels to books I've picked up cheaply, so I usually have two to four on hand at any given time.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They don't stack up any faster than you'd expect. But what makes them stretch is that you can get severe discounts on books via the daily deals. Each day, they sell a book for between two and six bucks. Those tend to be highly rated books, so even if you don't know anything about them or they aren't your genre, they're usually pretty good. Those stack up really quickly, and most of my favorite books I've picked up that way.

Also those monthly sales are often BOGO for credits, so if you have a few credits saved up, you can get a lot of books at once. I have more than 200 books that I've picked up since June 2015. Listened to about 150 in that time.
    I was shopping for a tablet and settled for a kindle because I'm serious about getting into book reading and stumbled upon one of their subcriptions called Kindle unlimited for 10 dollars a month. Signed up for it.

This is kind of what I was looking for. Cant wait for the tablet to ship.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I was shopping for a tablet and settled for a kindle because I'm serious about getting into book reading and stumbled upon one of their subcriptions called Kindle unlimited for 10 dollars a month. Signed up for it.

This is kind of what I was looking for. Cant wait for the tablet to ship.
    I'd beware of Kindle Unlimited. You get access to only some books. It's something you can use and get value out of, but it's not something to get if you want to target specific books.

Audible has a good bit of "free" content as well. It's not all al a carte. To add on to what I had said earlier, I have four credits now and will get two move in a couple of weeks. Right now, they are having a $5 sale on a a hundred or so books, and there are a number of good ones there. Obviously, you aren't going to be reading it if you were to get into Audible. But I just wanted to give you a reference to the throughput for books that I get. I spend at least 100 hours a month listening to books, so the value is a no-brainer for me. But if you prefer reading and don't care about a limited selection, you may have a good deal there.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'd beware of Kindle Unlimited. You get access to only some books. It's something you can use and get value out of, but it's not something to get if you want to target specific books.

Audible has a good bit of "free" content as well. It's not all al a carte. To add on to what I had said earlier, I have four credits now and will get two move in a couple of weeks. Right now, they are having a $5 sale on a a hundred or so books, and there are a number of good ones there. Obviously, you aren't going to be reading it if you were to get into Audible. But I just wanted to give you a reference to the throughput for books that I get. I spend at least 100 hours a month listening to books, so the value is a no-brainer for me. But if you prefer reading and don't care about a limited selection, you may have a good deal there.
    Good to know. I'm on the free 30 days so I have plenty of time to back out if I find something I dont like.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    So the Cycle of Galand is definitely one of my favorite series. The author puts out a book faster than once a year, and they're good. If you count the previous trilogy, there are seven books so far (almost a week's worth of audiobook). Also read the two War of Broken Mirrors books. The magic system in there feels unique, and I'm excited to see where the series goes, but the characters aren't nearly as engaging as those in the Cycles.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So the Cycle of Galand is definitely one of my favorite series. The author puts out a book faster than once a year, and they're good. If you count the previous trilogy, there are seven books so far (almost a week's worth of audiobook). Also read the two War of Broken Mirrors books. The magic system in there feels unique, and I'm excited to see where the series goes, but the characters aren't nearly as engaging as those in the Cycles.
    I'll check it out. I probably recommended it before, but Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings series is one of my favorites. I'm gonna read Age of Myth by Sullivan soon, and the newest Laundry Files by Charles Stross.

Thread Information