Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another player rarely mentioned when comparing doncic was Brandon Roy. Before injuries, Roy was an mvp candidate and had the combination of size, strength, and vision that is unusual in a player. Doncic is clearly the better of the two players but their approach of the game, the varied offensive repertoire, the poise, the vision, the ball handling and the way they can get to their spots despite being less athletic than their defenders are quite similar to me.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I saw those in a compilation bird 10 best dunks and almost posted those online last night. 2 were impressive, especially for Bird... but stop it Bird healthy, was never a leaper. Bird'supposed 28 inch vertical is mediocre and measured, is less than Luka's reported back by a scout overseas Doncic never validated his with NBA because he skipped combine. That being said verticals without a hoop and a ball mean little, D'Angelo Russell had almost a 40 but doesn't play that way same for Luka ...even if we discount vert ...watching those videos Luka still looks like the better natural athlete to me, you just validated what I already thought andyou cherry picked the two best though the one on Philly was awesome. The rest looked like Jordan or Doc dunking at 45 years old.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Another player rarely mentioned when comparing doncic was Brandon Roy. Before injuries, Roy was an mvp candidate and had the combination of size, strength, and vision that is unusual in a player. Doncic is clearly the better of the two players but their approach of the game, the varied offensive repertoire, the poise, the vision, the ball handling and the way they can get to their spots despite being less athletic than their defenders are quite similar to me.
    Roy is not a bad comp Luka has better pasding and vision but a less reliable jumper at this point.
    If we were to rate vision and the ability as passers magic Bron and kidd were the best I ever saw Bird just a notch below that followed Nash CP3 and Luka. I know many feel bird is on same level as the first tier but as I said a while back as good as Bird was magic and kidd and especially Bron made passes I never seen Bird make. BIRD MAY have better anticipation than Bron but Bron can make skip passes in the air on point cross his body that Bird wasn't athletic enough to make. Not sure why people can't get that.
    Anyway also don't know why everyone gets so outraged by Luka to Bird comps. who knows its blasphemy to some now but someday maybe Luka will be greater and this will be an insult to Doncic. I loved the 80s.I ride for Bird MJ Magic Kareem as the goat at their positions...but ...
    Bron passed Bird, it happens. Just like Tim passed Malone Barley McHale.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I saw those in a compilation bird 10 best dunks and almost posted those online last night. 2 were impressive, especially for Bird... but stop it Bird healthy, was never a leaper. Bird'supposed 28 inch vertical is mediocre and measured, is less than Luka's reported back by a scout overseas Doncic never validated his with NBA because he skipped combine. That being said verticals without a hoop and a ball mean little, D'Angelo Russell had almost a 40 but doesn't play that way same for Luka ...even if we discount vert ...watching those videos Luka still looks like the better natural athlete to me, you just validated what I already thought andyou cherry picked the two best though the one on Philly was awesome. The rest looked like Jordan or Doc dunking at 45 years old.
    yeah agreed, its pretty obvious luka is a much more natural athlete than bird, and is much more athletic than people give him credit for. hes not a jumper and doesn't have blazing speed, but he has some of the best body control ive ever seen in a basketball player, which allows him to react and adjust quicker than most players and maximize his athletic ability. compare that to a guy like leandro barbosa who had absurd speed, but had no ability to control it making him very predictable and defendable, despite having a massive athletic advantage over basically anyone who defended him.

bird had great body control too, but having probably the greatest basketball mind in history is what truly put him over the top, despite being unimpressive athletically (compared to guys like mike, nique, etc...).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Roy is not a bad comp Luka has better pasding and vision but a less reliable jumper at this point.
    If we were to rate vision and the ability as passers magic Bron and kidd were the best I ever saw Bird just a notch below that followed Nash CP3 and Luka. I know many feel bird is on same level as the first tier but as I said a while back as good as Bird was magic and kidd and especially Bron made passes I never seen Bird make. BIRD MAY have better anticipation than Bron but Bron can make skip passes in the air on point cross his body that Bird wasn't athletic enough to make. Not sure why people can't get that.
    Anyway also don't know why everyone gets so outraged by Luka to Bird comps. who knows its blasphemy to some now but someday maybe Luka will be greater and this will be an insult to Doncic. I loved the 80s.I ride for Bird MJ Magic Kareem as the goat at their positions...but ...
    Bron passed Bird, it happens. Just like Tim passed Malone Barley McHale.
    Agreed on most. I’m not sure why people were pissed. Seriously people were comparing Rony Seikaly to Mchale and Clarence weatherspoon to Barkley and it’s fine because there as aspects there that were similar. Nobody said player a is or will be as good as player b.

As for doncic to bird, I don’t see too much similarity as their game is quite different. But absolutely agreed that doncic has the potential to be as good as bird one day. Or even better. It’s a hard target to aim for but doncic has really shown incredible skills already.

The only point to contend, birds vision is as good as any, he does have some physical limitations that won’t allow him to do things Lebron can do but that is true for magic and to a lesser extent kidd as well. There weren’t too many players with the athletic skills of Lebron in the history of the league and he’s the only one of those athletic ability to have that vision.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lean Bird leaping/dunking and medium-bodied Bird leaping/dunking are two different things. Thin Bird had some under-rated leaps. Bill Russell claimed top ten in the league; but I think that was the homerism talking. Nonetheless, when the juices were flowing just right, he got up. I think he would've done it more for posterity if he knew something like internet videos would be a thing. It's clear that he had some leaps. Donkey is not all that far behind. I put him in between Bird (high end) and Magic (low end), but closer to Bird.

But that's dunks. It's clear that a thin Bird is much more stealth and flighty than Donkey. And regular Bird is more agile as well.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That may be a better comarison. Donkey has much better range and shooting touch; but both are streaky with scoring mentalities and can be a centerpiece and a danger card.

I wouldn't be quick to say Donkey was better than Roy. Roy was tethered to knee injuries that hampered him all along and prematurely ended his career.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed on most. I’m not sure why people were pissed. Seriously people were comparing Rony Seikaly to Mchale and Clarence weatherspoon to Barkley
    I wouild compare Ron Sekaly to Greg Kite and Clarence Weatherspoon to a very poor man's Shawn Kemp.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lean Bird leaping/dunking and medium-bodied Bird leaping/dunking are two different things. Thin Bird had some under-rated leaps. Bill Russell claimed top ten in the league; but I think that was the homerism talking. Nonetheless, when the juices were flowing just right, he got up. I think he would've done it more for posterity if he knew something like internet videos would be a thing. It's clear that he had some leaps. Donkey is not all that far behind. I put him in between Bird (high end) and Magic (low end), but closer to Bird.

But that's dunks. It's clear that a thin Bird is much more stealth and flighty than Donkey. And regular Bird is more agile as well.
    Lol if we only using young slim version ofvplayers then magic was more athletic than Bird too just look at his dunk in the NCAA le game ...didn't get very high but came from further out kinda like some of Luka dunking from further out is actually more impressive to me ...at least athletically. But even if bird was a better leaper than Luka or Magic ...they still are better athletes by the eye test.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    BTW I live in DFW watch Luka more than anyone here who is isn't a Mavs fan ...and Carlisle makes or has made the comparison plenty of times. Usually vision, killer instinct, IQ and feel is what he mentions. And he played with Bird and coached Dirk. Yes he mentioned Dirk in some ways too but I have been here since before RC came, I listen to his radio show he didn't compare Dirk to Bird the same way he does with Luka because only the shooting was even close or similar. Luka has a lot more Bird with some Manu and especially Harden mixed in.
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 03-14-2021 at 03:52 AM.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

im curious what makes you think you are so educated on Luka, when you claim that you hadn't watched a single minute of basketball this season until around a week or so ago watching the end of a spurs game?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im curious what makes you think you are so educated on Luka, when you claim that you hadn't watched a single minute of basketball this season until around a week or so ago watching the end of a spurs game?
    Do you really need this answer spoon fed to you, fanboy slob?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW I live in DFW watch Luka more than anyone here who is isn't a Mavs fan ...and Carlisle makes or has made the comparison plenty of times. Usually vision, killer instinct, IQ and feel is what he mentions. And he played with Bird and coached Dirk. Yes he mentioned Dirk in some ways but I have been here since before RC listen to his radio show ge didn't compare Dirk ti Bird the same way he does with Luka because only the shooting was even close or similar Luka has a lot more Bird with some Manu and especially Harden mixed in.
    He has the tools to lead a team far in today's NBA, tbh.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Do you really need this answer spoon fed to you, fanboy slob?
    so either you're a liar, or dont know crap about what youre talking about

got it, derp

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so either you're a liar, or dont know crap about what youre talking about

got it, derp
    You do this sh**, Slob. You try so hard for fake wins. And you even e the football like a total dumb ass.

If you hadn't watched Donkey play this season after watching him the other couple hundred times would you consider yourself in the dark?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    You do this sh**, Slob. You try so hard for fake wins. And you even e the football like a total dumb ass.

If you hadn't watched Donkey play this season after watching him the other couple hundred times would you consider yourself in the dark?
    lol thinking im mono

so how much basketball have you actually watched this season?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol thinking im mono

so how much basketball have you actually watched this season?
    I am quite familiar with Donkey's game. Any other relevant questions?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I am quite familiar with Donkey's game. Any other relevant questions?
    so how much of him have you watched this season?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so how much of him have you watched this season?
    Sorry, I shouldn't have said "other" relevant questions as if you had asked one.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Sorry, I shouldn't have said "other" relevant questions as if you had asked one.
    derp folds

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on, Slob; tell us why it matters if anyone has seen Donkey play this season.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Come on, Slob; tell us why it matters if anyone has seen Donkey play this season.
    how could it not matter, when you make claims that you know exactly how he looks, but also claim that you havent seen watched any basketball this season except for a few minutes of spurs/nets?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how could it not matter, when you make claims that you know exactly how he looks, but also claim that you havent seen watched any basketball this season except for a few minutes of spurs/nets?
    What's the difference between this season and the last?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    What's the difference between this season and the last?
    perhaps you should watch, then you might know

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    perhaps you should watch, then you might know
    You don't have a decent answer, do you?

Thread Information