Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) Man attacked by pack of wolves: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ent-piste.html

2) US invasion from another country, 17 US citizens killed: https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...illa-raids-u-s

3) Current example of authoritarian government with military control of the country: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43414348

I'd say the odds are greater than 0%
    .0001%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I just suggest ban ARs and this is where this thread goes. I actually kind of knew it would get here. ?"

LOL...you knew it going in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guns are for lazy s who don't want to be informed and involved. The best defense against tyranny is simply taking part in Democracy in an informed way.
    We don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. A person has the right to defend themselves, and a firearm can potentially level the playing field in an otherwise unfair situation (i.e. woman, elderly person alone at home, home invasion happens). Police response time would be nowhere near fast enough to prevent matters. What I want is preventing the Cruzes, Lanzas, Holmes from just strolling into a store and emerging with a high capacity firearm minutes later. Also in favor of raising the minimum age to 21. But responsible, stable, and trained citizens (also in favor of gun ownership being granted via a license after a training class is completed) should be free to own a firearm for personal use (defense, hunting, hobbyist use).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The odds of being in a car accident are .0006%...do you wear a seatbelt?

https://mashable.com/2012/08/07/goog.../#5b4ECRxwlgqk

The point is we do a lot of things, like wear seatbelts, because of the possibility that something happens. Owning a gun because the possibility that any of these could happen is no different.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Cruzes, Lanzas, Holmes"

... can buy whatever they want "on the street", 300M+ guns to choose from, including 1000s police guns lost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The point is we do a lot of things, like wear seatbelts, because of the possibility that something happens. Owning a gun because the possibility that any of these could happen is no different.
    your odds are correct if you drive exactly one mile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Cruzes, Lanzas, Holmes"

... can buy whatever they want "on the street", 300M+ guns to choose from, including 1000s police guns lost.

They can also steal a delivery truck and drive it through the crowd of kids waiting for the bus or build a bomb out of items found at home depot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your odds are correct if you drive exactly one mile
    Yeah...couldn't find good stats on serious accidents. What are the odds then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think the 1 accident per 165,000 miles is fine. you just have to factor in how many miles people drive on a daily/annual basis

instead you took their stat and performed a lazy calculation of the % of accidents per mile driven, and saying we have exactly that chance of being in an accident. thats just wrong, not even misleading

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The general point is that the odds of being in a serious car accident are actually very small (when factoring millions of miles driven in the US annually) and we still wear seat belts. The odds of being in a situation where you need an AR15 are very small as well. But they are there...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The general point is that the odds of being in a serious car accident are actually very small (when factoring millions of miles driven in the US annually) and we still wear seat belts. The odds of being in a situation where you need an AR15 are very small as well. But they are there...
    goddamn, you're ing stupid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I've been in four car accidents. I've been attacked by 0 wolfpacks.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the wolfpacks tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can also steal a delivery truck and drive it through the crowd of kids waiting for the bus or build a bomb out of items found at home depot.
    ... and when either of those things are used for mass murder on a regular basis, we should deal with it. Red herring, when it comes to gun control.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm bombproofing my porch.

Because chances!

It can't hurt against the invasion and occupation of my region either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    35,000 Americans annually. Not sure why we put up with this either, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chan...ident+per+mile

Wikipedia gives it 45 deaths per billion miles traveled.

45/1,000,000,000= 0.000000045 per mile.

Drive 10,000 miles per year your chance is: 0.00045

This is why insurers charge more if you drive more.

FWIW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there are tens of thousands of automobile deaths per year in the US.

mexican invasions and wolf pack attacks dont really hold a candle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there are tens of thousands of automobile deaths per year in the US.

mexican invasions and wolf pack attacks dont really hold a candle
    How many AR deaths annually? A couple hundred? No push to ban cars and trucks though, huh?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    How many AR deaths annually? A couple hundred? No push to ban cars and trucks though, huh?
    No, there is no push to ban cars and trucks.

It's not like they're AR-15s or something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    goddamn, you're ing stupid
    I'm taking that as a compliment coming from you. Thanks!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people drive cars around other people driving cars on a daily basis. you can't say the same for semi auto rifles.

again, its not a comparison.

you can also weight the utilitarian value of cars in a society vs their dangers. railroads were pretty dangerous in their earlier days. but the benefits were outrageous

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Should I be stockpiling cars to resist the inevitable Guatemalan occupation?

I should be stockpiling cars to resist the inevitable Guatemalan occupation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It won't because it's stupid to allow someone to own a nuke even though it's a cons utional right to bear it.

Like an AR15
    My suggestion was to ban semi-autos. You're focusing on one receiver style as if that makes any difference. You might as well say "Ban the Bushmaster AR-15"

There are a dozen different assault style weapons that use the same round as the AR-15. What they have in common is the receiver action, but you're satiated just feeling empowered to say "ban AR-15s" because you're either too lazy to learn what you're trying to ban or you just want attention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people drive cars around other people driving cars on a daily basis. you can't say the same for semi auto rifles.

again, its not a comparison.

you can also weight the utilitarian value of cars in a society vs their dangers. railroads were pretty dangerous in their earlier days. but the benefits were outrageous
    So you're saying at gun ranges all across the US people aren't using guns around other people without shooting them?

Do you really want to use that angle?

The car argument fails without needing to make silly statements like that.

Also, the reason you came to the US was because it's a free country, brought to you by men with guns.

Thread Information