Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Swapping TP for Conley barley moves the needle and now you have a longer deal on an aging PG. No thanks.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Swapping TP for Conley barley moves the needle and now you have a longer deal on an aging PG. No thanks.
    I don't think you understand the difference in Talent right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you understand the difference in Talent right now.
    I understand it completely. Conley is better than TP, but he's not elite at all. He's also got the same breakdown concerns as TP and his contract would be infinitely worse for longer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that issue can be resolved quickly with a Sign and Trade for Parker.

Spurs have let go of Avery Johnson when he was a pillar in the San Antonio community for 8+ years when he became a free agent in 01'.

They have traded Bowen when he was declining.

Not many remember either, but Spurs were willing to let Robinson walk in summer of 01' when Robinson didn't want to take a pay-cut for them to afford C-Webb. If Webber would have came to San Antonio ( which he almost did), Robinson would have been a Maverick -- he visited them and Cuban offered him the money he wanted. Spurs were willing to let Robinson go then.

Given those scenarios that did happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs trade Parker back to Memphis in a sign and trade for Conley.
    Sure, technically, it could be, but would they actually trade Parker? Not for a good, but not great, player, who might be in the midst of breaking down and not to a team that's going nowhere.

Johnson and Bowen were not Parker. Robinson is obviously a different story, but I seriously doubt Pop and Buford have the relationship with him that they do with Parker.

Conley was never going to sign with the Spurs and anyone faulting him for not wanting to come to a team where he'd be an awkward fit and have to play limited minutes/role, in his prime, is an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we sign Grevis Vasquez instead?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes sense from an incoming starter perspective as well as financial perspective. This is why you would hope if Spurs go this route, it might be for a S&T with TP going to Grizz.
    So the guy who covers the rival Mavs who are rumoured to want Conley is saying his sources say Conley has concerns about SA. K.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Conley over Parker is an upgrade but Conley isn't worth the max.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand it completely. Conley is better than TP, but he's not elite at all. He's also got the same breakdown concerns as TP and his contract would be infinitely worse for longer.
    Any team would want Conley. I think he is amazing at what he does. Look at the Grizz roster he has had to carry over the years. I think he has always been their best player. Parker at this point is a negative impact player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's worried that the ole drunkard will run with Parker when it matters the most which is usually the scenario these past few seasons. The only way the Spurs get a legit break from is when Parker is getting eaten alive and fakes an injury so he can sit on the bench.. That's the only hope.
    That's silly IMO and why I don't believe the rumor. If anyone watched this year, more than ever Pop yanked TP even in critical moments. He sat Duncan. He's clearly not above playing the best player and if Mills or Gino could have done anything positive they certainly would have played over TP when it mattered.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Conley over Parker is an upgrade but Conley isn't worth the max.
    I wouldn't pay the max either. I'd give him 17 mil a year tops. He is probably worth the max to teams.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can understand this point, but if Conley is healthy -- his defense in itself should move the needle enough (Spurs don't have to move the needle by much) -- as the Spurs won't have 48 minutes of liability on the defensive end from the PG position with 34 yr old Parker and Mills getting exploited routinely when it counts.

Spurs have to try to resolve this huge weakness they have at the PG position whether it be Conley or from a trade if they want a real opportunity to beat the elite teams who have elite PG play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any team would want Conley. I think he is amazing at what he does. Look at the Grizz roster he has had to carry over the years. I think he has always been their best player. Parker at this point is a negative impact player.
    Carry to wear? Gasol/Zbo had far more to do with MEM success than Conley. I don't hate Conley, he's a fine player. But he's being overrated because of name value. He's not an elite player especially considering his shooting being mediocre, his body breaking down and his cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dude isn't worth but 10-12 mil a year. He hasn't proved anything and hasn't even made an all-star team yet. And don't give me the old " the west is stacked with PG" argument either..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Carry to wear? Gasol/Zbo had far more to do with MEM success than Conley. I don't hate Conley, he's a fine player. But he's being overrated because of name value. He's not an elite player especially considering his shooting being mediocre, his body breaking down and his cost.
    And offering him a max deal would be a bonehead FO move on the Spurs part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can understand this point, but if Conley is healthy -- his defense in itself should move the needle enough (Spurs don't have to move the needle by much) -- as the Spurs won't have 48 minutes of liability on the defensive end from the PG position with 34 yr old Parker and Mills getting exploited routinely when it counts.

Spurs have to try to resolve this huge weakness they have at the PG position whether it be Conley or from a trade if they want a real opportunity to beat the elite teams who have elite PG play.
    Ironically enough, it looks like statistically TP actually graded out better than Conley defensively (TP wasn't good BTW - they were both bad).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dude isn't worth but 10-12 mil a year. He hasn't proved anything and hasn't even made an all-star team yet. And don't give me the old " the west is stacked with PG" argument either..
    This is wrong in so many ways

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ironically enough, it looks like statistically TP actually graded out better than Conley defensively (TP wasn't good BTW - they were both bad).
    RPM has Conley by a country mile. Please don't tell me you use defensive rating as it is a team stat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if conley is worried about playing time it is best to pass on him
    both tp and conley could play 28 minutes a game and some games tp could just play 10

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RPM has Conley by a country mile. Please don't tell me you use defensive rating as it is a team stat.
    You laugh at a lot of really stupid stuff TBH...RPM is a function of DRPM & ORPM. Offensively, of course he was better than TP. Defensively though, he was not very good at all was the point.

BTW, your boy Conley has a worse RPM than Rubio whom you say is "busted".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giving Conley the max is something I'd be hesitant with, so I agree there. But they are going to pay 30 mil the next 2 yrs with Parker anyway -- I'd rather pay Conley 20+ mil than TP at 15 mil. At worst, Spurs have 2 yrs/ 60 million hangover after Tony's contract would have come off the books and by then that figure would be roughly 25% of the cap for only 2 years. And we don't even know if there's any guaranteed big FA they cld use that towards anyway in 17' or 18, or 19'-- Spurs have only landed one big FA in the past 30 years -- nothing is guaranteed in FA and plus any of the great young big FA's coming up in the next 3-4 years are restricted coming off their rookie deals and have huge incentives to re-sign with their own teams. Chips are stacked against SA's chances to really use that money in a better way.

As for Conley, even though giving him the max would be overpaying -- there's reason to believe he'd maybe take a little less if it meant him going to a championship situation. If anyone has read his exit interview from April 25th, you could understand why I'm bringing this up. He said and I quote, " It's all relative, the money -- I don't think it will be a deciding factor. The team, the future of the team -- where the team stands -- obviously money will be a little bit of a factor -- but it won't be. Well this team can offer me the most, so I'm going to go there, no. It's going to be the system, the culture, the management, and the coach, can we win a championship?"

After reading his exit interview -- he may be willing to take a little less than the max -- maybe 18-20 mil per? Who knows? Only time will tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at DWS along with DBPM. There are, big picture, both team/individually plenty of stats to say Conley was not very good this year defensively, even over a poor TP.

Could it just be a one year deal? Perhaps, but I'm not paying max to find out.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You laugh at a lot of really stupid stuff TBH...RPM is a function of DRPM & ORPM. Offensively, of course he was better than TP. Defensively though, he was not very good at all was the point.

BTW, your boy Conley has a worse RPM than Rubio whom you say is "busted".
    I saw that. He'd fit terrible though. I was talking about his shooting.

Tony Parker is washed up now. Took ya 2 years to even get to this point. Its kinda hard to argue with a parker though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We gonna do this again?...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Conley but not for max. No way. I'm not sure what his value to the Spurs would be - maybe what Parker currently makes?

Thread Information