San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jk,Manny. it's gittin late.

how you been?

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    But in all seriousness, most of his presidency has been about one-upping Dubya's inep ude. Unfortunately, in a bizarro world repeat of 2004 - the Republicans have demonstrated themselves incapable of finding anyone who can beat one of the worst presidents in history.
    That's cause they're still all afraid of muslims slitting their throats at night and too proud to admit our neo-con foreign policy is an unmitigated disaster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    told ya so........this is rather embarrassing.

It turns out that the edited NDAA video of Carl Levin that was inaccurately cited in the mainstream media as proof that Obama wanted to detain US citizens was originally posted by a spammer. As we know, the President did not ask for language giving him the right to detain US citizens, he asked for the opposite. But that story wouldn’t get very many clicks for a spammer…..

Thanks to the hard work of several writers, we now know the truth behind the tin foil hat insanity trip of the edited Levin NDAA video that went viral. Congratulations, mainstream media – you got PWNED by a spammer.

Matt Osborne of Osborne Ink uncovered that spammers were behind the edited video:

On December 10th an unknown spammer posted a selectively-edited video of Senator Carl Levin at YouTube and proceeded to tweet the link 45 times over 24 hours. The link is now dead (video deleted by user), but it has already been copied to accounts on various video sites. To find out what Senator Levin actually said, you can go watch the full C-SPAN clip atPoliticusUSA.

The video set off an online freakout of epic proportions. Recipients of this ‘reply message spam’ included a Bradley Manning account, Occupy accounts, and assorted hacktivist accounts. It was like squirting lighter fluid onto a smoldering flame, feeding paranoid memes of right and left. Indeed, “Joe Fangorico” was nonpartisan, including FOX News’ own Joe Napolitano and Ron Paulites on his or her list
    http://www.politicususa.com/en/edited-ndaa-video

another wing-nut talking point horribly debunked...I'm surprised by the number of board 'independents' who fell for this crap...

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    El Che pretty much agrees. Obama is just another puppet of Wall Street and the Military Industrial Complex.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    told ya so........this is rather embarrassing.

http://www.politicususa.com/en/edited-ndaa-video

another wing-nut talking point horribly debunked...I'm surprised by the number of board 'independents' who fell for this crap...
    good find Dan, but rather a minor point. obama swore off the veto and plans to sign.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 12-23-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: the bolded; the bill will be signed after Christmas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This won't hurt him much, IMHO.

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This won't hurt him much, IMHO.
    Fearmongering does that to a society. They become dumb and give up their liberties for a fake sense of protection.

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    But we gotta give up our civil liberties to the government in order to protect us from:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good find Dan, but rather a minor point. obama signed the piece of crap after promising to veto.
    After being assured that the President would be the only one authorized to detain American citizens on US soil...Obama wants to know if an American citizen is being held on terror charges....that is accountability....unlike Dubya who broke any Cons utional protected freedom he saw fit to break and to with accountability....Dubya was already doing this and saying the law..

How in the world those two are moral equivalents to you is beside me....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But in all seriousness, most of his presidency has been about one-upping Dubya's inep ude. Unfortunately, in a bizarro world repeat of 2004 - the Republicans have demonstrated themselves incapable of finding anyone who can beat one of the worst presidents in history.
    +1

I would give Dubya some cred for vaguely pulling his head out of his ass in his second term.

To bad we were already sucked into Iraq by then.

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny that the guys who are saying that Obama is behind the drive to detain Americans on US soil are also the same guys who supported torture of American prisoners in foreign prisons...its baloney....Obama's statement is that he will veto the bill as it stands now..
    Who here supports americans being tortured in foreign prisons?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After being assured that the President would be the only one authorized to detain American citizens on US soil...Obama wants to know if an American citizen is being held on terror charges....that is accountability....unlike Dubya who broke any Cons utional protected freedom he saw fit to break and to with accountability....Dubya was already doing this and saying the law..
    Can you not see the moral hypocrisy of claiming indefinite detention and kill lists for US citizens are sanctified by legal permission? To say nothing whatsoever of the cons utional perversion of such a hypothesis.

And can you not see the imbecility of putting the political chieftain in charge of what the world considers war crimes and crimes against humanity, like we taught em?
    How in the world those two are moral equivalents to you is beside me....
    You're not paying attention. The US government has successfully claimed UK style state secrets privileges. That's on Obama; Bush wasn't so bold. Nor was he bold enough to suspend due process for US citizens by placing them on kill lists.

Now Congress has strengthened the hand of the President by giving him express authorization for what should not happen; for what never should happen; for what should never have happened.

Indefinite detention, secret prisons, prior restraint on the internet, abrogation of due process, state secrets, immunity for telecom surveillance of Americans, legally sanctified extrajudicial procedures.

Bush was a sine qua non, Bush was truly and literally radical, but this goes way beyond Bush by now.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 12-22-2011 at 05:28 AM. Reason: restored to original condition

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Looks like we do have something he will go down in history for!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fearmongering does that to a society. They become dumb and give up their liberties for a fake sense of protection.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what's hard for me to understand is the lack of ins utional ganas on the part of Congress. why does it continue to strengthen the hand of the executive?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    confession of essential spinelessness and inep ude?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congress needs a daddy figure?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like we do have something he will go down in history for!
    just wait 'til his second term

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you not see the moral hypocrisy of claiming indefinite detention and kill lists for US citizens are sanctified by legal permission? To say nothing whatsoever of the cons utional perversion of such a hypothesis.

And can you not see the imbecility of putting the political chieftain in charge of what the world considers war crimes and crimes against humanity, like we taught em?
    n
    Take a deep breath winehole. Obama has not ordered the killing of any American citizen, nor has he ordered the indefinite detention of an American citizen, nor did he ask for the authority to detain or kill American citizens. All this is congress...Congress led by the GOP house is behind handing all its
    oversight responsibility to the Executive branch...we are lucky to have a grown up like Obama in charge rather than McCain, Dubya or Gingrich who would jail anyone who dares question the authority of the corpocrasy....
    Last edited by Nbadan; 12-23-2011 at 02:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not completely sure why Obama decided to sign the bill in its current state, but I do know that there is no other President I would want to be responsible with this authority than Obama...maybe he is looking for someone to challenge the cons utionality of this part of the bill while he is President. Think about how long a wing-nut President would abuse such authority until it's cons utionality is decided...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama has not ordered the killing of any American citizen
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...ghlight=awlaki

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's amazing how much wrong you compressed into the first sentence of #45, Dan. I believe all three premisses are wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    will check in due time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nit-pic all you want....defend Al-Awaki all you want.....Obama will issue a rare signing statement detailing how he does not agree with the authority nor will he use the power granted to him under this law

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3096434/#45759926

Thread Information