Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is a lot of "ifs", Draymond was able to guard Marc Gasol 1-on-1 in the post so I don't see why he can't guard LMA who look underwhelming when Tiago was guarding him 1-on-1 in 2014. Draymond has a bigger wingspan than Tiago & is stronger.

Why in the would Iggy/Barnes setting the screen be that much easier than Draymond? Curry doesn't need much air space to get his shot off so as long as a competent player is setting the screen it more than enough for him. Even if he get chased off the line, I'm not sure who is going to be guarding the two Warriors players camping at the 3 point line when the "two bigs" are chilling in the paint waiting on Curry. All of the players in the "Death squad" lineup shoot at least 40% from 3. There is a reason you see Curry cake walking into the paint or Iggy shooting practice 3s with no one around him in a real game.
    The point of the lineup is to discourage GS from playing the small lineup since the Spurs will have more mismatches to exploit and an easier time guarding the pick and roll if they can switch it. Barnes/Iguodala aren't anywhere close to Green/Bogut at setting screens since they are much smaller and never set screens. The lineup is based on them going to Bogut/Ezeli, Green frontline. Aldridge will have a much better chance then Gasol at scoring on Green since he doesn't have the Euro cuck gene where he refuses to score over 20 points and constantly tries to make the pass. He will also be surrounded by shooters unlike Memphis who have one of the worst shooting teams in the league who made it easy to help Green out defensively. Iguodala and Barnes also aren't shooting 40% from 3 and Klay will probably pull his usual disappearing act like he does in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you can out-smallball the Warriors. Have to try and make them keep Bogut/Ezeli on the court.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Test out the Big Lineup in the regular season (test it with Patty as well since he's a better 3P shooter) and try out different rotations and see what works. We know Kawhi and Danny will be key but we need to see where Parker, LMA, TD and others will be able to fit in as well. Ultimately I think Parker or Patty will need to start because it'll be a bit much asking for Manu to take on a huge role and Diaw seems like an obvious plug into the SL.

So something like Parker/Patty, DG, Kawhi, Diaw, LMA
    Bench unit Patty/Parker, Manu, Anderson, West, TD.

Mix in some Patty, DG/Manu, Kawhi, Diaw, LMA/TD.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG- Manu
    SG- DG
    SF-Kawhi
    PF-Diaw
    C- Aldridge

then defensively I would change the matchups

Green-Curry
    Manu-Kly
    Diaw-Barnes
    Kawhi-Draymond
    Aldridge- Ezeli/Bogut/Iguodala (vs small lineups)

The lineup has a good combo of ball movement/shooting/post up abiltiy/rebounding/defensive versatility. One thing I would do with this lineup specifically is have Green and Leonard switch every Pick and Roll. This would still have Leonard on Curry who hes capable of guarding and Danny on Draymond who can't do anything if he isn't left wide open. This takes away the 4 on 3 opportunities that Golden State thrives on. Curry will always have an elite perimeter defender on him. If Golden State decides to go small then Diaw/Aldridge will eat alive whoever has Iguodala/Barnes/Draymond on them due to size. Forward this to the Spurs coaching staff tbh.
    I agree with the lineup you have. Diaw and Aldridge though need to start taking more 3's.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who ever has Curry on him needs to wear Curry out defensively whether it's DG, Parker, Patty, Manu or Kawhi. Don't let Curry rest on defense.
    Absolutely essential!!!! Must have Curry work... if Curry is on Green.... we may be toast!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you can out-smallball the Warriors. Have to try and make them keep Bogut/Ezeli on the court.
    That's not really an option, Warriors know already what their most potent lineup is and they will make maximum use of it.

The problem with LMA is whether he can guard the perimeter. He has to lose a lot of weight if he needs to do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not really an option, Warriors know already what their most potent lineup is and they will make maximum use of it.

The problem with LMA is whether he can guard the perimeter. He has to lose a lot of weight if he needs to do that.
    I think Pop went the opposite of what you suggest. Lamarcus is very strong at this point, and they play him spotted up, but Pop also is having him play close to the basket through the hi-low and he's been aggressive on O boards.

Not sure how the whole LMA evolution will look in March-April, or even January when we first encounter GSW, but I think his role is a work in progress, and may even evolve as we encounter all these small ball teams through the season. Due to rim protection Pop is already having to split Tim/LMA probably a whole lot more than anticipated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny guarding him while he brings up the ball doesn't mean once he gets screened out at the 3 point line. LMA will be guarding Curry more than anyone so pray he can turn into a decent PnR defender by May.
    sure man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if it's just me, and hopefully I don't jinx anything but Draymond Green always seems to play and shoot pretty ty against the Spurs. He only shot 27% against us last year, and averaged only 8 points a game. The year before that he only averaged 5 points per game.
    Hopefully his struggles continue since Boris isn't playing his best defense this season....Anderson and Morris ate him alive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe David West needs to take out Curry in the same way that Robert Horry took out Steve Nash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play zone D

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs won't show against the GSW early. They will probably lose by 15 or more. They aren't ready for prime time yet and if they were, they wouldn't show it.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is a lot of "ifs", Draymond was able to guard Marc Gasol 1-on-1 in the post so I don't see why he can't guard LMA who look underwhelming when Tiago was guarding him 1-on-1 in 2014. Draymond has a bigger wingspan than Tiago & is stronger.
    Marc is soft as . Barnes was able to guard him. Also Draymond's wingspan is .75 inches less than Splitter and his standing reach is 4.5 inches less.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs more built for playoff basketball and have great perimeter defenders. Parker is x factor IMO, can he supply enough offense and defense to not be a hindrance. Duncan will be effective, never underestimate, logic need not apply.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever you do....don't play parker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Bogut is a pretty good player in a vacuum, you want a lineup that forces GS to play him and Ezeli big minutes vs. having Draymond at the five. That can be done by either attacking the hoop (no shot blocking) or posting up with LMA/Tim/Diaw (though Draymond should match up better with him). This effectively pushes one of their wings, whether it be Barnes, Iggy, Livingston, Thompson, off the floor and impacts spacing and gives Duncan someone to defend.

As tbdog mentioned, Diaw posting Barnes plays huge into Spurs favor, as would him having to defend either LMA or Duncan if both are on the floor.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever you do....don't play parker.
    One thing about Parker, he always gets a chip on his shoulder when playing other star PGs and outplays them.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs won't show against the GSW early. They will probably lose by 15 or more. They aren't ready for prime time yet and if they were, they wouldn't show it.
    I'd think this. Pop might use the games to experiment. If they lose they lose.
    Hopefully those games do not decide seeding for the Spurs.
    Can't beat the Warriors if you don't get to them, like last season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say it's pretty accurate that there's a 0% chance that Pop shows his cards in the first matchup, like DMC said..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Duncan needs to be a part of the weaponry against any small ball lineup. He just makes our defense better, period, and on offense there is perhaps no better player in the league at dealing with smaller defenders than Duncan.

No one outside of Bogut stands a CHANCE to deal with Timmy on the block. I don't care how good Green is on defense. He's undersized and overpowered by Tim. Tim on the block against any small ball lineup would mean 2 instant fouls for anyone GSW wants to throw at him. He's just too smart working against smaller players. I wish we could have seen Rodman try to guard prime Tim, because I think he would have instantly gotten ejected by the time he got rang up for his 4th foul 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember a clip after a Warriors game, where Draymond Green was being interviewed and an opposing player intentionally meandered into the view and shoulder bumped Green in passing.

Draymond stops talking stares after the guy, starts, but then stops again to give another stare, before resuming the interview.

I say that to say this... I wonder if we could get West to nudge him and see who wins the sumo match that ensues.

Draymond Green has become as much a part of the success of the Warriors as Curry almost.

There was a report I read thay said something like... "He has internalized the most winning parts of the game. The hustle, the grit, the defense, making the right play at the right time."

I loved that notion "internalizing the most winning parts."

That's how I tell myself to approach any task now.
    Sharpen the tools that will get the job done the best.

Believe.
    My Team
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Post Count
    We always talk about it but has Pop -ever- used a lineup with Manu as PG along with two wings? Other than when we were short on PGs?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We always talk about it but has Pop -ever- used a lineup with Manu as PG along with two wings? Other than when we were short on PGs?
    Game 6 vs. the Thunder IIRC..I could be wrong, but I remember a lot of Ginobili/Green/Leonard throughout the 4th and OT..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The peripheral fan reaction is going to be interesting if these teams meet in a series, tbh..

Spurs will have went from: 1. boring team that everybody hated and cheered against 2. beautiful basketball and the heroes that everybody cheered for against the villainous Miami Heat 3. slower-paced, more antiquated team that everybody will cheer against vs. the beloved, historically entertaining Warriors team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The peripheral fan reaction is going to be interesting if these teams meet in a series, tbh..

Spurs will have went from: 1. boring team that everybody hated and cheered against 2. beautiful basketball and the heroes that everybody cheered for against the villainous Miami Heat 3. slower-paced, more antiquated team that everybody will cheer against vs. the beloved, historically entertaining Warriors team
    You think the Spurs would be the crowd favorite against GSW?

Thread Information