Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Houston Cougars
    The weight loss is slow going but still going. 188 at the moment.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    College
    Michigan State Spartans
    Yeah...you can burn the out of some calories in a relatively short amount of time cycling/spinning. I spin several times a week and I'd love to start cycling outside again but I just don't have the cash to drop on a good bike. I've trimmed down considerably since a started spinning. I can do 18-20 miles in a 45 minute class and I usually burn 600-650 calories.

Vinnie...what's your recommendation on a bike that's good but affordable? Looking in the 500ish dollar range.
    Fuji Robiax Pro with ultegra components clip in shimano pedals and two pair of shoes

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/bik/2935778684.html

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ok - three months ago I was at my top ever weight at 226. Today I am at 193. If you're interested in how I did it... ask me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Houston Cougars
    Ok - three months ago I was at my top ever weight at 226. Today I am at 193. If you're interested in how I did it... ask me.
    Leg in a wood chipper?

This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend sandman's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Does anyone do cycling and seen good results? I've been running a ton and was starting to overdo it and develop plantar fascitis. I've switched to eliptical one night, rowing (concept 2) one night, spinning bike one night, 10 mile jog one night, and sprints (10x100m) one night. Keeps it from getting boring and saves my knees, feet, etc.

I was just given a ridiculously badass professional grade cycling bike from a late friend and am going to get into cycling. Trying not to dump too much money into it but I loved the spinning bike so much I bet this will add a new element to my routine.
    Combined with a decent core workout (plyometrics and abs), you can see some incredible shifts in your body type by putting in miles on the bike.

My life is pretty much cycling because it is my son's sport of choice. It is the only sport that he has ever done since he was 11. At 16 he is 6'3" and 205lbs and none of it is fat or being "big boned". He does the gym three times a week (squats and core all three, and one upper body) and is usually on the bike 4 times a week for a total of 8-10 hours, depending on the type of workout he is doing.

But be warned: riding a bike for long miles won't get rid of a gut. I know too many guys who ride 100 miles every weekend and still have guts.

btw, what bike did you get?

This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend sandman's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Fuji Robiax Pro with ultegra components clip in shimano pedals and two pair of shoes

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/bik/2935778684.html
    Excellent.

For that price range, this is the best way to go. Find someone who already invested in the retail price a year or two ago. Fuji, Trek, Cannondale, Jamis, Specialized, Scott. Shimano 105 or Ultegra components. Over Christmas I reduced the garage inventory from 15 to 12 and got rid of two Cannondales and a Scott on craigslist.

As a plug, always get your bike serviced at your local bike shop (LBS). They don't just sell bikes; they KNOW bikes and can be your best friend to getting you set up on the right bike with the right accessories. I'm in Houston but I know there are some good shops in San Antonio.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Bingo!

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The 'beetus?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Cycling is a great burn I burn about 1200 to 1700 over a 40 mile with hills ride. Maybe 2800 to 3500 ft of climbing in it. Get a heart rate monitor try to stay within your zone if you can. Also let me know will give you a Spurstalk deal on gear.

www.ragecycling.com
    Until my rear wheel fell apart last saturday I was doing 80-100 miles/week on my bike. It's really fun to ride, I love it. I just use Cyclemeter Pro for my iPhone, leave it on and it tracks pretty well via GPS. It was about 18 months ago I started riding outside, largely because I get to work from home now. Riding a stationary is just nowhere near the same, tho spinning can be some hardcore stuff.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Houston Cougars
    Seriously though, I'm curious as to how you did it. I lost a similar amount (217 down to 185) but that took about 7-8 months.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Excellent.

For that price range, this is the best way to go. Find someone who already invested in the retail price a year or two ago. Fuji, Trek, Cannondale, Jamis, Specialized, Scott. Shimano 105 or Ultegra components. Over Christmas I reduced the garage inventory from 15 to 12 and got rid of two Cannondales and a Scott on craigslist.

As a plug, always get your bike serviced at your local bike shop (LBS). They don't just sell bikes; they KNOW bikes and can be your best friend to getting you set up on the right bike with the right accessories. I'm in Houston but I know there are some good shops in San Antonio.
    My LBS replaced my rear wheel that started popping spokes like crazy for free, and tuned it up on top of it for just $30. I had bought the wheel from them, so it was nice to not even have to ask. He just said he would do it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Seriously though, I'm curious as to how you did it. I lost a similar amount (217 down to 185) but that took about 7-8 months.
    It was actually really simple. First, I started drinking TONS of water. I keep water on me all day. I know it sounds cliche, but it does really help you to eat less.

Second - I drink two shakes a day by Body by Vi. I'm not going to do a sales pitch. but they've really helped me to control my diet. I was averaging about 3-5 lbs lost per week once I started the shakes... and they taste great too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My LBS replaced my rear wheel that started popping spokes like crazy for free, and tuned it up on top of it for just $30. I had bought the wheel from them, so it was nice to not even have to ask. He just said he would do it.
    LBS are great like that. Keep you on your bike... and off of the damned trainer!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    oh lawdy lawd. Cycling is no joke. Crazy stamina fueld rocket legs here I come. I biked 1 mile, half up hill half just coasting and I was torched - partly because I have no idea how this gear stuff works lulz. Dis gun b fun.

Combined with a decent core workout (plyometrics and abs), you can see some incredible shifts in your body type by putting in miles on the bike.

My life is pretty much cycling because it is my son's sport of choice. It is the only sport that he has ever done since he was 11. At 16 he is 6'3" and 205lbs and none of it is fat or being "big boned". He does the gym three times a week (squats and core all three, and one upper body) and is usually on the bike 4 times a week for a total of 8-10 hours, depending on the type of workout he is doing.

But be warned: riding a bike for long miles won't get rid of a gut. I know too many guys who ride 100 miles every weekend and still have guts.

btw, what bike did you get?
    Wow awesome! I can't wait to see what cycling does for me - only been out once but it was a crazy good leg workout. I fell into a 2000 Zurich LeMond bike. I really know 0 about bikes. It's got the Shimano ulterga* stuff on it, clip on anium pedals, shimano flightdeck computer, rolf wheels. I replaced the clip on pedals for a pair of $10 goofy regular pedals until I can drop coin for shoes. Bought a cheap helmet, replaced the michelin pro tires (dry and cracking) with some cheap $20 ones, degreased, washed off 5 lbs. of dust, greased. It is basically brand new and was never ridden on the street - just on stationary stand setup.
    Last edited by BlairForceDejuan; 04-02-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    I think I'm going to try Insanity to lose my last 10 pounds. I know some of y'all have done it. Tell me how much I'm going to hurt and hate myself afterwards....please.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Are there any pics of ashbeeigh up on this board?
    Friendly advice - you don't want them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Shut up. That's my in my avatar and there's one a few pages back. Most of the others are from like 2005.

The Amish Rifle Ryan Fitzpatrick's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Seriously. We went 23 pages and a few years before y'all started to insult me. Grow up. Half of you only hate on me because the cool kids do it.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    Haters gonna hate.

The Amish Rifle Ryan Fitzpatrick's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Seriously. We went 23 pages and a few years before y'all started to insult me. Grow up. Half of you only hate on me because the cool kids do it.
    Of all your problems, who would have ever guessed thin skin would be one of them?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    I recommend cocaine.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    You look alright to me, mama. I'd throw one in ya. I'd even wear a coyote costume if that's what does it for you. I have to warn you though…I do have herpes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think I'm going to try Insanity to lose my last 10 pounds. I know some of y'all have done it. Tell me how much I'm going to hurt and hate myself afterwards....please.
    I completed p90x and then did a hybrid of p90x and insanity.Insanity is the perfect name for this program.If cardio is not your forte,then you will hate it.On the flipside,if you stick with it I promise you will love the results.One thing to keep in mind is that it is absolutely pointless to do any of this if your nutrition is bad.One cheat meal can set you back 3 days.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I'm starting up on round #2 of P90X next week. After that I may try the new P90X or Insanity. I haven't decided yet.

Thread Information