My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    For 2011. They have sucked it up hardcore this year, but at least they got Dirk his ring last year. He avoided the fate that greats like Barkley and Malone have to deal with.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That he did. One of the more underrated players of our generation. It's a shame we couldn't ever get a competent center next to him, besides Tyson for one year. With a guy like Dirk, you absolutely have to complement him with a defensive center like Tyson. Interior defense is very very important in basketball, and you can't have Dirk AND some slob out there. Also not having a guy who can finish around the rim hurts Dirk because teams can double team and rough him up inside without having to worry about being punished. With Tyson, you couldn't leave him because of the oop threat and he was a good finisher/solid free throw shooter.

I think if Dirk had the luxury of playing next to solid centers his whole career, he'd have several rings by now and be looked at in a totally different light. Sometimes life is all about cir stances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasted year tbh....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad it's not 2011 anymore.

ty year overall.(besides nba 2k11)

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That he did. One of the more underrated players of our generation. It's a shame we couldn't ever get a competent center next to him, besides Tyson for one year. With a guy like Dirk, you absolutely have to complement him with a defensive center like Tyson. Interior defense is very very important in basketball, and you can't have Dirk AND some slob out there. Also not having a guy who can finish around the rim hurts Dirk because teams can double team and rough him up inside without having to worry about being punished. With Tyson, you couldn't leave him because of the oop threat and he was a good finisher/solid free throw shooter.

I think if Dirk had the luxury of playing next to solid centers his whole career, he'd have several rings by now and be looked at in a totally different light. Sometimes life is all about cir stances.
    I know how you feel because I feel the same way about Kobe's career. If Kobe had the luxury of playing alongside a great PG as well to take pressure of him he'd likely have about 3 more rings now for a total of 8. I completely understand how you feel..

That being said..now is not the time to gloat about Dallas losing. I for one respect Dirk's game and he will be missed. I think the NBA lost some of it's shine when the Mavs went down. The team will be further disbanded and that's too bad because I think they can compete again. It just goes to show that winning a le let alone 5 is not easy. You not only have to have the right pieces on the court but you have to have the "COMMITMENT" from the owners to see to it that you hold onto valuable assets and you have to have the guts to know when to release those assets when they turn into liabilities. This is the "MAJOR" difference between Dr. Buss and Mark Cuban.For the most part Dr. Buss knows when to hold em and when to fold em at just the right time..and sometimes he needs a little help, like when Kobe went off on the FO for not getting him help. Kobe going off like that and demanding a trade if they were not committed to winning forced their hand publicly and forced them to build around Kobe a le contender.

This is the next step for Dirk.He needs to step up and forcefully speak out against Cuban and let it be known he's not happy...every GM will be beating their door for him if Cuban is stupid enough to trade him rather than trying to improve the team. Unfortunately Dirk only got one ring out of the being passive. It may be a bit too late now that he's out of his prime but he can still speak out. Just like Kobe took his move and made it better, Dirk should take a page from Kobe and blast the FO for not being committed to winning.

It could work if Dirk was as greedy, selfish, and determined as Kobe to win les...I don't know that Dirk has it in his DNA to be like that though..win at all costs...so don't count on it Mav fan...Congrats though on having an entertaining team for all these years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know how you feel because I feel the same way about Kobe's career. If Kobe had the luxury of playing alongside a great PG as well to take pressure of him he'd likely have about 3 more rings now for a total of 8. I completely understand how you feel..

That being said..now is not the time to gloat about Dallas losing. I for one respect Dirk's game and he will be missed. I think the NBA lost some of it's shine when the Mavs went down. The team will be further disbanded and that's too bad because I think they can compete again. It just goes to show that winning a le let alone 5 is not easy. You not only have to have the right pieces on the court but you have to have the "COMMITMENT" from the owners to see to it that you hold onto valuable assets and you have to have the guts to know when to release those assets when they turn into liabilities. This is the "MAJOR" difference between Dr. Buss and Mark Cuban.For the most part Dr. Buss knows when to hold em and when to fold em at just the right time..and sometimes he needs a little help, like when Kobe went off on the FO for not getting him help. Kobe going off like that and demanding a trade if they were not committed to winning forced their hand publicly and forced them to build around Kobe a le contender.

This is the next step for Dirk.He needs to step up and forcefully speak out against Cuban and let it be known he's not happy...every GM will be beating their door for him if Cuban is stupid enough to trade him rather than trying to improve the team. Unfortunately Dirk only got one ring out of the being passive. It may be a bit too late now that he's out of his prime but he can still speak out. Just like Kobe took his move and made it better, Dirk should take a page from Kobe and blast the FO for not being committed to winning.

It could work if Dirk was as greedy, selfish, and determined as Kobe to win les...I don't know that Dirk has it in his DNA to be like that though..win at all costs...so don't count on it Mav fan...Congrats though on having an entertaining team for all these years
    Why is it that you always have to find a way to reference Kobe in topics that have nothing to do with him? I'm surprised you didn't figure out how to connect Floyd Mayweather and Kobe in the Cotto/Mayweather thread.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why is it that you always have to find a way to reference Kobe in topics that have nothing to do with him? I'm surprised you didn't figure out how to connect Floyd Mayweather and Kobe in the Cotto/Mayweather thread.

I'm just speaking out about my guy...why do you have a problem with it..Live and let live mid...I do think it's ironic the guy I was responding to complaining about Dirk not playing with good big men when Dirk is a good big man who abandoned big man - low post play in preference to play like a guard

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know how you feel because I feel the same way about Duncan's career. If Duncan had the luxury of playing alongside a top 10 player all-time as well to take the pressure off him he'd likely have about 6 more rings now for a total of 10. I completely understand how you feel..

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know how you feel as well. If Kobe had the opportunity to play alongside dedicated HOF'ers like Manu, Parker and Robinson then he might have already caught Russell. Instead, the most dedicated player Kobe has played with is Derek ing Fisher. Not complaining though... we still got five les out of Kobe and he's going down as a top three player when its all said and done.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I know how you feel because I feel the same way about Duncan's career. If Duncan had the luxury of playing alongside a top 10 player all-time as well to take the pressure off him he'd likely have about 6 more rings now for a total of 10. I completely understand how you feel..

Problem is you need to compare apples to apples...Duncan isn't top 10 on the majority of peoples score card so why should he have the luxury of playing with a top 10 player he played with Robinson, Parker, and Ginobilli, all 1st ballet HOF's that should be good enough

or are you saying Kobe is top 10...

Thread Information