Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    He's a bit of a choker, though.
    most clutch player since jordan

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always been a fan of his game (he can be a sometimes). He's a bit of a choker, though.
    Bit of an understatement .. but overall yes to this post

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About time someone else on this damn site recognizes this. Props TD
    Clutch is just a cool name to being mentally tough when the pressure increases in a game/series.
    The more consistent someone is performing in those situations, the more clutch he is considered.

I'm curious about why do you guys think this aspect does not exist, even when the statistics and probability concepts you're mentioning are true, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pure = small guard, that's a full time point guard on both sides of the ball.

James and Johnson are the greatest point guards ever, but they're 6'8'', the former is a combo forward defensively and I believe the latter spent plenty of time defending forwards too.

Cliché, vanilla fan, believing in the "clutch" myth. It's all about sample size. Over time, if given enough chances most players will progress or regress to the mean.

About time someone else on this damn site recognizes this. Props TD

it won't happen in Paul case, dude avoid shooting in the clutch anyway because he is too afraid

For the rest it seems you both never play any compe ive sport. Shooting in the clutch during the finals, serving for the game in tennis for a great slam or whatever is the holy grail for your level etc... if you compare those moments to a normal play you are at best ignorant of how it works.
    Some will forget about pressure, others will freeze, others will avoid those moments and differ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clutch is just a cool name to being mentally tough when the pressure increases in a game/series.
    The more consistent someone is performing in those situations, the more clutch he is considered.
    exactly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but who in the history of the NBA can we honestly say His prescne alone would turn the franchise into a 50+ team..
    GTFO

New Orleans
    '06 38-44
    '07 39-43
    '08 56-26 Dynomite David West in prime dropping 20/9, Tyson Chandler prime, Peja Stoyakovich dropping treys at 44%. Please.
    '09 49-33
    '10 37-45
    '11 46-36

Clippers
    '12 40-26

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP's post lost all credibility when it listed Curry () as 2nd best PG ever... is this a joke?
    Lost credibility? Lol.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Pure = small guard, that's a full time point guard on both sides of the ball.

James and Johnson are the greatest point guards ever, but they're 6'8'', the former is a combo forward defensively and I believe the latter spent plenty of time defending forwards too.

Cliché, vanilla fan, believing in the "clutch" myth. It's all about sample size. Over time, if given enough chances most players will progress or regress to the mean.
    How someone can watch Choke Paul's playoff career and not believe that clutchness and choking exist is beyond me. Like, how often can you watch that got start overdribbling, bricking, turning it over and expecting Jamal Crawful/Jannero Pargo to bail him out down the stretch of playoff games before it sinks in that he can't be counted on in those situations? Plus he comes out passive and scared in nearly every elimination game.

Maybe his "sample size" would be bigger if he didn't choke against inferior or evenly-matched teams in Round 1 or 2 every year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CP3 gets a raw deal. Blake is a very good offensive player, but you can't depend on him defensively. Jordan is primarily a rebounder and good help defender. CP3 sets up offense for him. He'll never win one with this Clippers team. He would thrive with Spurs. Kawhi would be able to play off the ball and still actually get the ball. If he passes up on re-signing with the Clips I have to imagine the Spurs would be #1 on his list.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    CP3 gets a raw deal. Blake is a very good offensive player, but you can't depend on him defensively. Jordan is primarily a rebounder and good help defender. CP3 sets up offense for him. He'll never win one with this Clippers team. He would thrive with Spurs. Kawhi would be able to play off the ball and still actually get the ball. If he passes up on re-signing with the Clips I have to imagine the Spurs would be #1 on his list.
    that is how i feel. that's why i still have some small sliver of hope...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like paul, like him to take a dirtnap this got mother er

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CP3 is up there as one of the most underrated players of this generation, IMO. GOAT-tier regular season stats, and his playoff struggles are vastly exaggerated/blown out of proportion.

He's really only shat the bed in 2 playoff series in his career - '09 1st round against Denver, and '12 2nd round against SA. Outside of those 2 series, he's performed pretty damn well in every series he's played. Yes, he's had some choke moments and deserves some of the criticism he receives...but he's also been clutch a lot as well, and consistently ranks near the top in terms of clutch stats. His postseason numbers are still incredibly impressive as a whole. Given the strength of the opponents he's faced in the West throughout his career + his individual performance, his lack of even a WCF appearance can at least somewhat be excused.

In the end, I agree with the notion of him being a top 3 PG of all-time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't he still a conference finals virgin?

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    He's really only shat the bed in 2 playoff series in his career - '09 1st round against Denver, and '12 2nd round against SA. Outside of those 2 series, he's performed pretty damn well in every series he's played.
    Not true. He also shat the bed against the Spurs in '08, the Grizzlies in '13, the Warriors in '14 (which we still won because of Blake carrying CP0's choking ass and getting no credit for it), the Thunder in '14, and the Rockets in '15.

Yes, he's had some choke moments and deserves some of the criticism he receives...
    What criticism? Blake is the one who always gets blamed when we lose in the playoffs. Choke Paul has always had excuses made for him and scapegoats to hide behind. He and Durbeta have both been coddled their whole careers.

Given the strength of the opponents he's faced in the West throughout his career
    None of the teams he's faced have even made it to the Finals, let alone won it. They've always been evenly matched or inferior. LeBron has been vilified for not beating championship teams and dynasties all by himself with D-League supporting casts, but we're supposed to feel bad for Choke Paul because he can't beat any team with a pulse in the playoffs? Gimme a break.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not true. He also shat the bed against the Spurs in '08, the Grizzlies in '13, the Warriors in '14 (which we still won because of Blake carrying CP0's choking ass and getting no credit for it), the Thunder in '14, and the Rockets in '15.

What criticism? Blake is the one who always gets blamed when we lose in the playoffs. Choke Paul has always had excuses made for him and scapegoats to hide behind. He and Durbeta have both been coddled their whole careers.

None of the teams he's faced have even made it to the Finals, let alone won it. They've always been evenly matched or inferior. LeBron has been vilified for not beating championship teams and dynasties all by himself with D-League supporting casts, but we're supposed to feel bad for Choke Paul because he can't beat any team with a pulse in the playoffs? Gimme a break.

Where were the Clippers before CP3??

Quit hating

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You're a moron.

In the playoffs, CP3 only has averaged: 21 points, 9 assists, 5 boards and 2 steals per game on 49% shooting 38% from 3. BPM of 8 for his playoff career, VORP of 6.5, PER of 25.5.

As a comparison. Our 4 time champion Tony Parker has avg.: 18 points, 5 assists and 3 rebounds on 46% shooting, 30% from 3. BPM of 0 for his playoff career, VORP of 3.7 and PER of 16.8.

CP3 haters are morons.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    You're a moron.

In the playoffs, CP3 only has averaged: 21 points, 9 assists, 5 boards and 2 steals per game on 49% shooting 38% from 3. BPM of 8 for his playoff career, VORP of 6.5, PER of 25.5.

As a comparison. Our 4 time champion Tony Parker has avg.: 18 points, 5 assists and 3 rebounds on 46% shooting, 30% from 3. BPM of 0 for his playoff career, VORP of 3.7 and PER of 16.8.

CP3 haters are morons.
    When did I say Porker wasn't a massive choke artist in his own right? Porker was dragged to his rings by Duncan, Manu and Kawhi. The guy gets outplayed by his own backups when it matters most.

The thing with Choke Paul is that he's talked about like he is a Duncan/Manu/Kawhi type of figure for his teams, not an Enrique Porker type of player who has to be carried by the Duncan/Manu/Kawhi types. He carries himself like a twelve-time champion, hogs the ball and screams at his teammates like they're holding him back from winning his thirteenth ring, and gets paid an obscene amount of money (and is about to sign a historic $210 million deal this summer). The media treats him with a level of reverence that they otherwise only reserve for champions who are easily marketable to casual fans. He puts up gaudy regular season stats and has rarely faced a significantly better team in the playoffs. And despite the easy ride he's had, he still can't get past round 2. It's pathetic.

I wouldn't be so hard on Choke Paul if he was willing to let Blake be the first option, take less money to win, take responsibility for his own playoff failures instead of hiding behind scapegoats, and stop being such a control freak. It would be nice if he stopped flopping and whining at refs, too. Right now, he's a totally unlikeable player who thinks he's so much better than he really is.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Where were the Clippers before CP3??

Quit hating
    Before Choke Paul, we were a young team on the rise with one of the league's brightest new stars in Blake Griffin.

With Choke Paul, we're an aging capped-out treadmill team with no future. And Choke Paul still hasn't led us any farther in the playoffs than Cassell and Brand did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't he still a conference finals virgin?
    That cherry would get popped once he joins the Spurs.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    imagine the defense, between paul, green, and kawhi...

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lost credibility? Lol.
    meaning, he never had any in the first place?

btw I like your username. What formation are you referring to?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meaning, he never had any in the first place?

btw I like your username. What formation are you referring to?
    He's probably talking about two brothers on your mom.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before Choke Paul, we were a young team on the rise with one of the league's brightest new stars in Blake Griffin.

With Choke Paul, we're an aging capped-out treadmill team with no future. And Choke Paul still hasn't led us any farther in the playoffs than Cassell and Brand did.
    A young team that won how many games, like 25?

'06 was a fluky year. The Clippers in '06 were the Sonics in '05. Fluky one hit wonder teams

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're a moron.

CP3 haters are morons.
    I don't see any CP3 hater except clitoris but dude hates all kind of PG anyway

When you are in a close game of a decisive game and offense starts to slow down, role players disappear you count on your star player to solve the issue... Spurs have been blessed to have his leaders taking their responsabilities... CP3 just prefer defer to the Pargo and Peja of the NBA last 5 minutes of the game. This is not being a hater than saying that.

Thread Information