Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He dribbles way too hard/high at times. Should keep the ball lower, it'll make it tougher to get stripped. Also, he's not Danny Green (who also can crossover the ball, it's very common these days), but also Green isn't a PG with the ball in his hands a lot out there, so dribbling for him isn't as important, tho he's gotten much better at it.

Never heard the comparison to Crawford, and maybe it was a legit one at a High School level, but this is the NBA now. He's nowhere near the ball handler Crawford is.
    That's been my take and what I opened this thread with. I predicted he would have a problem with strips and steals once the real NBA players took a look at his handle and started taking advantage. Put a guy like Kwathi on him and he'll be in real trouble. I suspect they are seeing this in practice.

The thing is, all of us started bouncing the ball around our house as children. I have no idea why he dribbles so high, maybe his body grew tall fast and his dribble extended, but it is obviously an ingrained habit since childhood. I don't know if you can change that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone...name a player or two who came into the NBA and then practiced so hard that they became a top shelf ball handler?
    Anyone.... name a pg drafted in the first rd, or at all, that couldnt dribble

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He dribbles way too hard/high at times. Should keep the ball lower, it'll make it tougher to get stripped. Also, he's not Danny Green (who also can crossover the ball, it's very common these days), but also Green isn't a PG with the ball in his hands a lot out there, so dribbling for him isn't as important, tho he's gotten much better at it.

Never heard the comparison to Crawford, and maybe it was a legit one at a High School level, but this is the NBA now. He's nowhere near the ball handler Crawford is.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dejounte-murray

Look at his draft profile... They compare him to Crawford and talk about his dribbling ability... He has skills... Trust me... There is tape on him... So he isn't incapable... He just needs to learn to protect the ball more... That comes with learning and experience... Player tendencies, etc... But to say he is incapable of dribbling is a mischaracterization of the issues he has... I see some ppl say he is incapable of dribbling up the court... Based on him being stripped in the first half of an NBA playoff game as a rookie that didn't expect to play, and barely got playing time during the season, going up against the best pg defender in the league... But what happened after that? Pat Beverly NEVER stripped him again between that series and this year when they played... Players learn and adapt... Give it time... Give him actual playing time

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We gave Cory Joseph three years to learn how to dribble I’ll give Murray another year before I pass judgment

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dejounte-murray

Look at his draft profile... They compare him to Crawford and talk about his dribbling ability... He has skills... Trust me... There is tape on him... So he isn't incapable... He just needs to learn to protect the ball more... That comes with learning and experience... Player tendencies, etc... But to say he is incapable of dribbling is a mischaracterization of the issues he has... I see some ppl say he is incapable of dribbling up the court... Based on him being stripped in the first half of an NBA playoff game as a rookie that didn't expect to play, and barely got playing time during the season, going up against the best pg defender in the league... But what happened after that? Pat Beverly NEVER stripped him again between that series and this year when they played... Players learn and adapt... Give it time... Give him actual playing time
    You can make a tape on anyone. Hes dumb. Kyrie would be awesome if he wasnt dumb.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is simply bending down when he's challenged on the dribble now. Simple and obvious.

Problem solved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now, when given extended playing time, he simply what you call a junkballer who will stuff his line in the most unorthodox ways: awful floaters, fluke offensive rebounds..etc..

Not really impressed at all with his numbers..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets hope for the best since we had such high hopes for him. Hmmm. I just used the word "hope" about Murry twice in one sentence. Oh well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can make a tape on anyone. Hes dumb. Kyrie would be awesome if he wasnt dumb.
    So Kyrie isn't awesome? Lmfao!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now, when given extended playing time, he simply what you call a junkballer who will stuff his line in the most unorthodox ways: awful floaters, fluke offensive rebounds..etc..

This makes no sense... Lolol... He has always been a good rebounder, but now they're flukes... As if he gets then by a weird bounce, and not him actually going to get them...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

His offensive rebounds aren't flukes, tbh. He knows he has a size advantage over other NBA point guards so he's always sneakely staying near the rim looking to utilize this adavantage. It's not the best weapon to have as a PG on a team that favors transition D over offensive rebounds, but it is an established weapon of his, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His offensive rebounds aren't flukes, tbh. He knows he has a size advantage over other NBA point guards so he's always sneakely staying near the rim looking to utilize this adavantage. It's not the best weapon to have as a PG on a team that favors transition D over offensive rebounds, but it is an established weapon of his, tbh.
    Dude, thats the ONE thing i love about his game!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Kyrie isn't awesome? Lmfao!
    Heres your nba caliber players LaMelo has the potential to play in the NBA someday, especially if he were on a more traditional development path. Even so, his shot selection is questionable and he has struggled to impact winning. LaMelo is a career 30 percent 3-point shooter, according to Krossover data (42 games and 605 attempts....

30 percent from 3? Not even college potential

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heres your nba caliber players LaMelo has the potential to play in the NBA someday, especially if he were on a more traditional development path. Even so, his shot selection is questionable and he has struggled to impact winning. LaMelo is a career 30 percent 3-point shooter, according to Krossover data (42 games and 605 attempts....

30 percent from 3? Not even college potential
    Brothers... What are u talking about? Who gives a sh*to about lamelo?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray's job just got easier. Just pass the ball to Kawhi and get out of the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When this lil was posting # videos about grinding all summer, what was he working on!?! Rebounding an 1 hand floaters(which he still sucks at)!! I really can't see what tbis dude has improved on that much. I mean I like his defense, but that's about it. He blow more layups than my 12yr old son!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a fan of the kid it is a bit disappointing that he didn’t seem to work on his jumper too much this summer. That is his most needed area of improvement.to be a decent guard in today’s league u need at least a decent jumper

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone...name a player or two who came into the NBA and then practiced so hard that they became a top shelf ball handler?
    J j barea

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had to go back and look at old videos. But he was already a good ball handler in college.

Is he considered "top shelf" today? I don't know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had to go back and look at old videos. But he was already a good ball handler in college.

Is he considered "top shelf" today? I don't know.
    Imo he is

If barea was 4 inches talker hed be a perenial allstar

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tiest pg i have ever seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A team least Murray has an upside. Parker, Ginobili and Mills are all on the downside, slowly welcoming Father Time to take over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A team least Murray has an upside. Parker, Ginobili and Mills are all on the downside, slowly welcoming Father Time to take over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's getting almost double the minutes this year already in far fewer games. Of course, last year he played a lot in Austin. His shooting percentages have gone DOWN this year, but I'm going to attribute that to the makeover on his shot that Chip has to be doing. His jumper was simply atrocious when he came into the league, giving a sideways spin to the ball instead of a front to back rotation. His rebounding is up some but with so many more minutes you have to expect that stat to increase.

So he is what he is at this point--a very young player drafted #29 with good athleticism and speed for an upside--but with some critical skills in ball handling, passing and shooting that really aren't up to NBA standards. Less than 20% of players drafted that low make it in this league. As Sir Charles said, "Deer can run fast and jump high, but you'll notice that very few deer play in the NBA."

We have a lot riding on this guy, if nothing but the unrealistic hopes of some fans because of our PG situation. So let's believe....er....hope... a little longer that he is the answer for the future.

My Team
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Post Count
    I don't know what it is but he's one of the worst players in the nba. Offensively he could be one of the worst guards in the history of pro basketball, he has nothing.

Thread Information