Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't the first good playoff series Parker's had. Probably had dozens that were better.

This isn't the first great closeout game he's had.

So will the "Parker never comes through in the playoffs" narrative continue or will this change it?

Probably revert back to normal once Parker has a couple bad games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real question is: Do you suck Tony's even when you're sleeping?. Mother of god, stop making post every time Tony has a good game.

Anyway, Tony has been great in this series, i hope he keeps this level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real question is: Do you suck Tony's even when you're sleeping?. Mother of god, stop making post every time Tony has a good game.

Anyway, Tony has been great in this series, i hope he keeps this level.
    Man, weird comment to make. I'm just a fan of a great player who is trying to balance the ST narrative with facts and perspective. Not sure what all your sexual thinking is all about, but to each his own I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should be recognized and remembered, much like Manu/Tiago against Dallas in the '14 first round, tbh... (another series where some boxscore readers want to change history)...

The sad reality, however, is that unless the Spurs win it all, the only thing people remember is the last lost series...

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should be recognized and remembered, much like Manu/Tiago against Dallas in the '14 first round, tbh... (another series where some boxscore readers want to change history)...

The sad reality, however, is that unless the Spurs win it all, the only thing people remember is the last lost series...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker has historically underperformed in the playoffs. I don't see how anyone could deny this.

Parker's RS career: 18.5 PER, 54.9 TS%, .144 WS/48, 1.0 BPM

PS career: 16.9 PER, 51.6 TS%, .086 WS/48, 0 BPM

Sorry, but one series doesn't suddenly mean that Parker hasn't been generally underwhelming in the playoffs. Has he had big moments? Of course. He's had huge games and series throughout his career...but he's also had tons of ty ones as well, and as a whole, he's been noticeably worse in the playoffs compared to the regular season. Some dropoff is expected - you're playing better opponents in the playoffs so naturally that makes it harder to do well. But Parker's dropoff seems to be more severe than other star players.

All this being said, it was great to see TP play so well this series. Really hope he can continue to be a positive for the Spurs going forward...only way we have a shot at winning it all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, weird comment to make. I'm just a fan of a great player who is trying to balance the ST narrative with facts and perspective. Not sure what all your sexual thinking is all about, but to each his own I guess.
    This guy is hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

2014 Mavs series:

Parker: 20/5 on 47%
    Manu: 18/5 on 45%
    Tiago: 11/9 on 62%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trolls be trolling sas...It won't change spurstalk haters etc. They will be ready to pounce when he has a subpar game... which can happen, but even in th RS one could see the few weeks when he was healthy and kicked the gears that Spurs had another level when he played well. He's older and injury prone and the RS is extremely long with games close together and he tends to try to play through nags... so I think RS criticism was deserved at times. Playoffs are another matter and it's great he has this level he can find.

Team probably needs more contributions from others too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tiago still have haters that all they remember is that he got stuffed by Lebron once. This forum can be a cesspool but you know all about irrational hate tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2014 Mavs series:

Parker: 20/5 on 47%
    Manu: 18/5 on 45%
    Tiago: 11/9 on 62%

exactly, thanks for making my point....

If you look at this Memphis series, statistically Kawhi was much better, but it's undeniable that Tony's offensive contributions tiped the scale (despite having one horrible game).

That's why we watch the games instead of trying to rewrite history cherry picking stats from the boxscore, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony should absolutely get the credit for this series win, he had a tremendous series overall. He was the key to win it.

It's not that Kawhi doesn't matter, is that with superstars like him (or TD back in the day), it was assumed they would play at such a higher level (unfairly so, I might add). Role players won't outmatch them statistically, but their importance to win a given game or series can be fundamental.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony plays all season at an "about to retire" pace and gets called old for it. Tony has a couple good playoffs games and suddenly he was misjudged? A woman spends a year ing every guy she meets, then becomes a nun. Two days after becoming a nun, her family says "people mislabel her as a all the time, she's a nun, it was always apparent"

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Porker was probably the 5th best player in that Dallas series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exactly, thanks for making my point....

If you look at this Memphis series, statistically Kawhi was much better, but it's undeniable that Tony's offensive contributions tiped the scale (despite having one horrible game).

That's why we watch the games instead of trying to rewrite history cherry picking stats from the boxscore, tbh
    I dare say if Tony doesn't take pressure off Kawhi for some possessions, that series was going to be a disaster and not only are we talking Manu is done, Tony is done has he not showed up.... but you have to question the 15 mill that went to a Gasol, you have to question whether Aldridge is enough of a star to support Kawhi, you have to question Pop ... and it would have been heartbreaking to see Kawhi play at that level and had no one else to chip in and help him take a breather. I didn't expect this from Tony. I made a lengthy post saying he was done, etc.

I am glad for the team but they needed 2013 MVP Parker to advance. Glad Tony earned his $ this series... just have a lot of questions about everyone else tbh.

But in the playoffs at least with this late version of the Spurs (happened in 2014 too I think) maybe the hero next round is someone else besides Nawhi who is an MVP and will show up for sure.

Thus I get this thread from the Tony fan. If he doesn't make it, it's like it didn't happen... and he clearly cares about such things.. which is fine.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi has a TS% of like 80%. No one is taking pressure off kawhi. He can take those shots if he wants too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dare say if Tony doesn't take pressure off Kawhi for some possessions, that series was going to be a disaster and not only are we talking Manu is done, Tony is done has he not showed up.... but you have to question the 15 mill that went to a Gasol, you have to question whether Aldridge is enough of a star to support Kawhi, you have to question Pop ... and it would have been heartbreaking to see Kawhi play at that level and had no one else to chip in and help him take a breather. I didn't expect this from Tony. I made a lengthy post saying he was done, etc.

I am glad for the team but they needed 2013 MVP Parker to advance. Glad Tony earned his $ this series... just have a lot of questions about everyone else tbh.

But in the playoffs at least with this late version of the Spurs (happened in 2014 too I think) maybe the hero next round is someone else besides Nawhi who is an MVP and will show up for sure.

Thus I get this thread from the Tony fan. If he doesn't make it, it's like it didn't happen... and he clearly cares about such things.. which is fine.
    Every team gambles in hopes of improving, only one wins it all, tbh... the focus for the Spurs now should be to put enough good quality talent around Kawhi (even if it's just perceived sometimes, like LMA) to make sure he sticks with the franchise. Fortunately, he's had role models like Tim or Manu who took substantial paycuts to remain compe ive, and enable the team to build around.

But it's never a given that he'll stick around and his free agency will probably be as big as TD was...

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi willed this team at the end of the first, third. And fourth. All by his ing self.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi willed this team at the end of the first, third. And fourth. All by his ing self.
    He was the best player in the series, bar none. It wouldn't have been enough to beat Memphis though (and it's not his fault). That's why when you have secondary role players step up and come up big, it's huge.

It would be a disservice to Tony not to recognize he was key in moving on to round 2, tbh...

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing about kawhi, he'll defer at the beginning and if that doesn't work, he goes to work. He's the one actually releasing that pressure. Some.of ya's takes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Porker was probably the 5th best player in that Dallas series.
    Porker SAS VS DAL Game 4= 10 points on ... 14 shots
    Porker SAS VS DAL Game 5= 23 points on ... 23 shots
    Porker SAS VS DAL Game 6= 22 points on ... 23 shots

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Porker SAS VS DAL Game 4= 10 points on ... 14 shots
    Porker SAS VS DAL Game 5= 23 points on ... 23 shots
    Porker SAS VS DAL Game 6= 22 points on ... 23 shots
    And that's with the offense built around him.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was the best player in the series, bar none. It wouldn't have been enough to beat Memphis though (and it's not his fault). That's why when you have secondary role players step up and come up big, it's huge.

It would be a disservice to Tony not to recognize he was key in moving on to round 2, tbh...
    Yes role players have to show up. Like Patty in game 5, or getting us the lead in game 6. Or even ing defending Conley because green is getting torched.

I'd put up Patty up there this series too. It's not like anyone showed anything this series besides Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every team gambles in hopes of improving, only one wins it all, tbh... the focus for the Spurs now should be to put enough good quality talent around Kawhi (even if it's just perceived sometimes, like LMA) to make sure he sticks with the franchise. Fortunately, he's had role models like Tim or Manu who took substantial paycuts to remain compe ive, and enable the team to build around.

But it's never a given that he'll stick around and his free agency will probably be as big as TD was...
    Indeed. I hope he's not taken for granted. Thus I get the win now move on Gasol (very underwhelming when it was made... and looks even worse now)... I have no trouble with possible treads scenarios (even my favorite role player who would probably be better served getting minutes in a lesser team than riding Pops deep bench tbh). I only care about the team overall and PATFO moves this summer have to be smart. I think a few guys are playing for the contract but PATFO needs to reevaluate performance somewhat more critical. I will be the first to admit I think when Manu retires team will be challenged to remain compe ive in the postseason. He's capable of momentum swinging plays and when he doesn't play well the are very different... so I'd have to look at what LMA is doing and Pau. We shall see next series. I'd like PATFO to be more critical... not to fans but to the team.

You have a very good point. They need to win now. Pop said st the time Tims contract was up, the team has changed substantially having lost or about to lose Drob and others. Pop jokes that he promised him they would remain compe ive and win again. Half joking. I think there's some truth there.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Porker +33
    Patty Thrills +40

Take away game 3 tank job by pop

Porker +39
    Patty Thrills +56

Thread Information