Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A RJ trade that could make sense is with Houston: RJ for Ariza and Jeffries.

Ariza has had a so-so season with Rockets and they could decide to move his contract. It could be even more the case if they didn't like the bigmen available at the 14h pick and draft Paul George.
    That would be a great trade, but even if Houston did not love what Ariza brought, his production was more than enough for his contract. He is still a good young player and a good value.

I don't see Houston getting rid of him. If they can rebuild their team and put him in a proper role, then he can excel. MLE level players aren't supposed to be the number 1 or 2 option on a team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be very surprised if we don't draft one of the many SFs available at 20, and that means RJ is a dead duck. However, the team will probably hang on to RJ for a while as cover until they know what they've got from the draft (especially given Pop's aversion to rookies).

I think it's likely that RJ will be the starting SF to begin the year, then, assuming our draftee develops and Pop will play him, RJ gets shipped for some youth and an expiring mid-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think an RJ foe Iggy trade would be benificial for both teams. Philly gets salary relief and the Spurs get a really good player. But would the spurs ownership do it? Doubt it.
    Is iggy really a big step up from RJ? I will admit I have not seen the many of the sixers games except those against the spurs, but I am pretty sure he is very athletic (like RJ), average jump shot(like RJ), and a good not great defender (like RJ)..Do I feel Iggy is worth around 55mil for the next 4 years, maybe for some teams who can get up and down the floor without playing in the halfcourt setting much, for the spurs sake I would hope they would pass on this..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is iggy really a big step up from RJ? I will admit I have not seen the many of the sixers games except those against the spurs, but I am pretty sure he is very athletic (like RJ), average jump shot(like RJ), and a good not great defender (like RJ)..Do I feel Iggy is worth around 55mil for the next 4 years, maybe for some teams who can get up and down the floor without playing in the halfcourt setting much, for the spurs sake I would hope they would pass on this..
    The difference here is that Iggy is a legit good defender, with good ball handling and shot creating ability and playmaking ability. Sorry if that sounds like LeBron James to you, I would personally call Iggy a very poor man's LeBron James. He is worse than LeBron at very aspect of his strengths but is still a very good player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a great trade, but even if Houston did not love what Ariza brought, his production was more than enough for his contract. He is still a good young player and a good value.

I don't see Houston getting rid of him. If they can rebuild their team and put him in a proper role, then he can excel. MLE level players aren't supposed to be the number 1 or 2 option on a team.
    You nailed it. The only starting SF (though he's technically SF sized, he's really like Finley in that he's an SG/SF) that the Spurs might be able to acquire without giving up any of their top assets (while ridding themselves of Jefferson in the process) who can provide 3D is Webster.

His contract breaks down like this: $4,800,000 in 10/11, $5,256,000 in 11/12 and $5,712, 000 in 12/13 (player option). Which is not outrageous, so the Spurs wouldn't be hamstrung with an albatross for years. On top of that, he's definitely Spurs material as far as character and work ethic.

The Trail Blazers supposedly had interest in Jefferson at the '09 trade deadline and leading up until the Spurs acquired him, but a lot has changed since then. Batum has improved and Jefferson's stock has taken another hit. Still, with an expiring contract the Trail Blazers might be interested, particularly because they could dump Webster's contract in the process.

Even if the Trail Blazers were interested in such a deal, the salaries obviously don't come close to matching and unlike in past seasons, there is no Ratliff or LaFrentz on their books with a huge expiring contract to balance out a trade like this, so a third team would have to be recruited to facilitate the trade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Even if the Trail Blazers were interested in such a deal, the salaries obviously don't come close to matching and unlike in past seasons, there is no Ratliff or LaFrentz on their books with a huge expiring contract to balance out a trade like this, so a third team would have to be recruited to facilitate the trade.
    Actually, there is Joel Pryzbilla who tore his patella tendon; which should decrease his overall trading value level as a player. He will be in his last year of his contract that pays him 7.4 million.

So a Martell Webster, Joel Pryzbilla, Rudy Fernandez, Cunningham for Richard Jefferson and #20 would match. * Spurs could even agree under the table to buy out Pryzbilla, so he could return to Portland. If it comes down to it.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 06-14-2010 at 04:05 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aside from the small ball line ups, I think the Spurs biggest weakness this season was not having a true back up small forward. Bogans was only 6'5", Hairston is probably around the same, Haislip could have been interesting, but in reality there was no 2/3 guard to play behind RJ and Manu.
    I couldn't agree more. As much as Pop talked about his desire for a "Derrick McKey"- type player, some seasons ago, While I like the profile picture that Pop painted with that description, I almost get the feeling that he's really not as hot on such a player as it first seemed. If that wasn't true, then WHY are we still talking about the lack of such a player in this program?

It's not just last season, the Spurs have been needing to groom and fortify this position for the past 4-5 years - well before Bowen started to decline. Had they done so, there would've been no need for last summer's "knee-jerk", RJ trade and we wouldn't be sitting here, some years later, STILL talking about how the Spurs don't have an athletic SF.

That deficiency is even more amazing when you consider that the NBA's SF position seems to be the easiest position to fill. In fact, players of this profile have literally poured into the NBA over the past 4-5 years. During that time, the NBA has gotten younger and more athletic. The Spurs weakness at that position has been apparent whenever they match up against teams like the Blazers and Thunder. There are some teams have even stockpiled 2 players (primary and backup) at that position. Meanwhile, the Spurs remain perennially deficient.

If the NBA draft goes according to plan, I hope this is the year that the Spurs have their own twosome at the SF position

I will always maintain that Trevor Ariza would have been the perfect fit for this team - and not just coming off last summer's stellar, championship year with the Fakers. He would've been a good developmental player had the Spurs been able to get him when he bolted New York for Orlando, a few years ago. He's a complimentary player, who doesn't need to have the ball to make an impact.

OK. My rant is over.
    Last edited by SenorSpur; 06-14-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, there is Joel Pryzbilla who tore his patella tendon; which should decrease his overall trading value level as a player. He will be in his last year of his contract that pays him 7.4 million.

So a Martell Webster, Joel Pryzbilla, Rudy Fernandez, Cunningham for Richard Jefferson and #20 would match. * Spurs could even agree under the table to buy out Pryzbilla, so he could return to Portland. If it comes down to it.
    You're right; I forgot about Pryzbilla.

I doubt the Trail Blazers would part with Fernandez in such a trade, though. Webster, Pryzbilla, Cunningham and either Mills or cash might do it. Like you said, the Spurs could agree to an under the table buy out for Pryzbilla, so he could return to the Trial Blazers.

In the end, the Spurs would get presumably a better fit at SF than Jefferson, who's also younger and more affordable, plus a decent, inexpensive, young combo forward and potentially a lightning quick, young PG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right; I forgot about Pryzbilla.

I doubt the Trail Blazers would part with Fernandez in such a trade, though. Webster, Pryzbilla, Cunningham and either Mills or cash might do it. Like you said, the Spurs could agree to an under the table buy out for Pryzbilla, so he could return to the Trial Blazers.

In the end, the Spurs would get presumably a better fit at SF than Jefferson, who's also younger and more affordable, plus a decent, inexpensive, young combo forward and potentially a lightning quick, young PG.
    Fernandez wants out of Portland, so you never know.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know he does, but Allen (the owner) loves him and while I could see him being convinced to deal this malcontent in the right deal, so that they don't lose his rights a year from now should he flee for Europe, I can't see them including him in MaNu4Tres proposed trade.

Even though he's coming off a bad season and wouldn't have an increased role on the Spurs, because he's a talent and he has value, if by some chance the Trail Blazers agreed to that trade, I'd do it in a second. But I don't see him as a good fit on the Spurs, so I'd immediately re-route him, probably for a future 1st round pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can part with RJ in a myriad of possible trade scenarios, but they have no business shopping their #20 pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know he does, but Allen (the owner) loves him and while I could see him being convinced to deal this malcontent in the right deal, so that they don't lose his rights a year from now should he flee for Europe, I can't see them including him in MaNu4Tres proposed trade.

Even though he's coming off a bad season and wouldn't have an increased role on the Spurs, because he's a talent and he has value, if by some chance the Trail Blazers agreed to that trade, I'd do it in a second. But I don't see him as a good fit on the Spurs, so I'd immediately re-route him, probably for a future 1st round pick.

Let me make this clear. I was only proposing the Portland deal proving they could possibly match (salary wise) for Jefferson.

I did not promote the trade by any means.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let me make this clear. I was only proposing the Portland deal proving they could possibly match (salary wise) for Jefferson.

I did not promote the trade by any means.
    Let me make this clear: I never said you were promoting the trade, I said you proposed the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Explanation of B: There are several reasons for my thinking on this topic. I think he will work hard this off-season to get into great shape. Eat right, workout the right ways, try and get his shot more accurate and his athleticism back. I personally was underwhelmed by RJ's athletic ability. He wasn't as fast or quick as I had thought, but those things can easily be changed with the right training.
    I always thought that RJ looked a bit heavy and slow-footed. I thought it was just me, but he simply didn't look as quick and he appeared to lose some of is lift.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always thought that RJ looked a bit heavy and slow-footed. I thought it was just me, but he simply didn't look as quick and he appeared to lose some of is lift.
    Especially after he was held out of that one game(against Memphis, IIRC) with back spasms. He looked even slower and less athletic after that. Let's hope he gets is the best shape of his life since he doesn't have to worry about cancelling any weddings this offseason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Especially after he was held out of that one game(against Memphis, IIRC) with back spasms.
    FWIW Jefferson wore a lower back brace from that game til the end of the season. If people weren't aware.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes no doubt that Jefferson will pick his option. The only uncertainty is if he will do it before the draft or after it. RJ can't be traded if he hasn't picked his option. If he picks it before the draft, it could ease a potential draft day trade.

If RJ pick the option before the draft, it would be a sign that either he would like to be traded or Spurs have some trade plans and he pick the option by courtesy. If RJ wants to stay and Spurs aren't that interested in trading him, I guess he will pick the option at the last minute like usual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt anyone brings it up, but RJ would probably admit that there were a lot of distractions last summer and his focus wasn't on basketball. I'm not sure how true that statement is, but it has to be hard going through all of that, being traded, ending a wedding and relationship, being one of many new faces on a veteran team. Having a lot expected of you. I remember the Spurs went back into le contention conversation when they made the trade. Didn't quite work that way.

Maybe next year everything will click. The main group of players Parker/Ginobili/Hill/Duncan/Jefferson/McDyess(who is not being talked about enough)/Blair and hopefully Splitter Paul George and a good shooter will be joining, is a really talented team and one of the most talented in the league. The problem is connecting the talent. Creating chemistry and everyone playing hard.
    i think you have a good point!
    last summer after all the stories with him i was afraid that it will affect him into the season!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson has decided not to use his early termination clause. He is under contract with Spurs for 2010-2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-10-11

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smart move on his part, no way he is getting another contract worth that much

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bump.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol Spurs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson has decided not to use his early termination clause. He is under contract with Spurs for 2010-2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-10-11
    What a difference a day makes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice hustling job RJ, you should definitely be giving your agent a huge bonus!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please GTFO the team.

Thread Information