Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Could have at least tagged me instead of just dropping this here unannounced. It seems you want to wind down this discussion, and I'm fine with that. You could have just said that directly, however. This attempt at a parting shot is really weak, and it comes from you giving up on every contention you had after they met only a little resistance. Man up and admit you didn't have a very good debate this time. You're a smart person, and you'll do better next time. You've definitely done better before.
    You admitted that your comment was ad hom. You haven't explained away how you know what other people think. You just claim they do. What else is there?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Eh, it only is an issue if people put god into the universe. If you assume that, then you've already got loads of problems with self-reference.

Of course it's unproven; otherwise, I'd believe my theism is a fact and wouldn't consider difference of opinion. But the assumption is undisputed, which is why it holds. Our entire pursuit of science depends on that assumption holding, so it's not just me who's riding on it.
    um... okaaay... Where would you put god, if not into the universe?

Secondly, The unproven assumption "everything has to have a cause" is disputed. It is very much disputed in this case, as it requires time.

One can't wave away this problem simply by saying "its undisputed".

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was using those few commandments as an example because I was showing that the Bible does have some bearing on teaching morality in response to the claim Uriel presented. Whether or not you follow all of the commandments in their entirety is your personal choice. We all have free will whether it was bestowed by a supreme being or not. I do not put my stock into a single religion, but feel that they all have their high and low points. I do however make it a point to argue when I feel that one is claiming to be better than another simply because a study concluded with an assumption. I don't recall receiving an intelligence test on this subject.

Religion existed long before Christianity, Judaism etc. There was paganism before Christianity and they had their gods of peace such as Pax or Eirene. I am simply stating that ALL religions do help teach morality and basic guidelines regardless of the timeline. Religion has its uses, and no one can deny it.... God existing or not. Why argue the existence of a supreme being when there are good lessons to be learned to begin with regardless of a persons beliefs?
    The bible teaches nothing about morality that we can't discover for ourselves.

The fact that religions all attempt to teach morality, does not mean that morality can only be had from religious thinking.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Secondly, The unproven assumption "everything has to have a cause" is disputed. It is very much disputed in this case, as it requires time.

It's disputed especially by theists who rely heavily on the notion that their god isn't contingent.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nah. It's just if I believe my view is the most rational view, then by default I must also think dissenting views are less rational. Otherwise, I wouldn't have my view in the first place.
    +1

I believe mine is the most rational as well. One kind of has to.

That is the way all people work, and why we hash these things out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How would you know? Isn't most of this flying over your head?
    Far, far, over his head.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Are we to believe that a grit takes longer to cook in your kitchen than in any other kitchen in the world?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    To say the Bible teaches morality is to say the overall message of the Bible is a message of morality, not that you can find some bits and pieces of it that you feel are rooting in morality.
    I would agree with Dilahunty in this case. The bible is not a moral system, it is merely a collection of moral pronouncements.

X is moral
    Y is not moral

But it doesn't provide a system or set of general guidelines by which to determine things NOT in the book.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Only a dummy would gamble spending an eternity burning.
    Meh. More failed reasoning.

Which eternity of torture do I avoid? the hindu ? the muslim ? the X , the Y ?

Further, wouldn't singing the praises of some narcissistic magic man for eternity be considered torture in and of itself?

What if you decide, some day 2 trillion years down the road, that you didn't WANT to sing the praises of this yutz that day? What if you wanted to leave this heaven place? Could you? Where would you go, if you could?

The way I see it, is that you are worried about just one less out of all the possibilities than I am.

Not much of a gamble now is it?

I know you don't spend time worrying about other s, or do you?
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 10-21-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    +1

I believe mine is the most rational as well. One kind of has to.

That is the way all people work, and why we hash these things out.
    This is true, very profound, despite what the ignoramuses say to the contrary.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Are we to believe that a grit takes longer to cook in your kitchen than in any other kitchen in the world?
    Ah ... that's a movie quote, hmmm.

found it. hehehehehehehe

http://m.imdb.com/ le/tt0104952/quotes?qt=qt1653289

Surprisingly good movie. Pesci is the man.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You admitted that your comment was ad hom. You haven't explained away how you know what other people think. You just claim they do. What else is there?
    No. Your response was ad homenim. Your criticism of my point was based on your criticism of me, which is what the ad hom fallacy addresses.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I don't think that makes a ton of sense to try to answer. If god made the universe, then he clearly wasn't there when he made it.

I don't believe that's a valid criticism. Cause and effect do require sequence, but I don't think they have to have time in the way we experience it. It's like asking how an individual was born. Time as a perceptional concept doesn't exist to a person before they were born, but time as a physical concept does. In the same way, time as a physical concept depends on a universe, but time as a logical concept does not. Time is connected to the universe, but that doesn't help it move past a need for a first cause.

I think I can. Atheist want to argue about the null being that god doesn't exist. Essentially we shouldn't believe something interesting occurred unless we have enough evidence to think so with confidence. We have no evidence that things can happen without cause, so it doesn't make sense to assume they can. The universe is a giant Rube-Goldberg machine, and science depends on our ability to ascertain previous steps by looking at present conditions. The moment you start introducing causeless effects, things risk breaking down.

I've yet to see anyone show evidence of a state without a cause. That's why I say it's undisputed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    It's disputed especially by theists who rely heavily on the notion that their god isn't contingent.
    You mean my admittance that god might not exist? I've never gotten why you take issue with that. Any rational person concedes they may be wrong about their beliefs. I could be swayed to believe there is no god, but I'd need some good evidence to get off my need for a prime mover. I might even have enough doubt to move into the atheist camp if we found evidence "proving" that the universe is eternal/cyclical, though I'd still have my inclinations. But I'm not gonna hop on someone else's magic theory when mine makes more sense to me and wouldn't leave me with as many doubts.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    did you buy your grits from the same guy that sold jack his beanstalk beans?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/...tcmp=obnetwork

500-million-year-old swimming filter-feeders called vetulicolians have been a mystery since their discovery more than a century ago.

Newfound fossils may solve a century-long mystery over the iden y of a bizarre 500-million-year-old animal.

Strange figure-8 shaped creatures from the Cambrian Period are actually very distant cousins of humans, according to a new study. These vetulicolians, as they are known, appear to have possessed a notochord, a hollow nerve structure just like modern vertebrates, including humans.

"It finally puts to rest the position of this weird-looking group of animals," study researcher Diego Garcia-Bellido, an invertebrate paleontologist at the University of Adelaide in Australia and an honorary research associate at the South Australian Museum, wrote in an email to Live Science. The findings also suggest that chordates, or creatures with notochords, were diverse and successful from the beginning of animal evolution, he said. [Gallery: See Images of the Bizarre Swimming Animals]

Weird life

Vetulicolians were truly bizarre: They lacked eyes, but had a wide mouth and a segmented tail. Like miniature whale sharks, these early animals swam through the oceans, filter-feeding off plankton and other microscopic tasties. Fourteen species have been found in the fossil record since 1911, including specimens from Greenland, southern China and western Canada.

Now, Garcia-Bellido's team has discovered a new species of this group on Kangaroo Island, Australia, a hotspot for Cambrian-age fossils with soft parts like musclesand guts preserved in stone. They dubbed their find Nesonektris aldridgei. "Nesonektris" is the Greek word for "island swimmer," while "aldridgei" honors late University of Leicester geologist Aldridge, who studied vetulicolians extensively.

The most complete specimen of the new species measures about 4.9 inches long; most of the 150 or so fossils the researchers found were fragmented into tails and bodies, with tails usually measuring around 3.5 in. long. It was in these tails that the researchers noticed something very strange.

Running through the tails were long, rodlike structures. They might have been part of the gut, but they were unusually long and wide, the researchers reported in September in the journal BMC Evolutionary Biology. More mysteriously, the rods appeared segmented into strange block-shaped structures.

"This finding is inconsistent with it being a gut (which is a hollow tube), but consistent with the way a cartilage (notochord) would break, which allowed us to realize where the group might belong in the tree of life," Garcia-Bellido said.

Tied by a chord

Notochords are present in the embryos of all vertebrates, acting as a cartilaginous sort of skeletal support before the bones form. Some boneless invertebrates, including filter-feeding sea squirts, retain the notochord throughout life. All animals with notochords (vertebrates included) are called chordates.

By comparing the Kangaroo Island fossils with animals such as sea stars, sea squirts, jellyfishlike salps and vertebrates, the researchers were able to position the vetulicolians as close relatives of tunicates, a group made up of sea squirts and salps. This puts vetulicolians in the same chordate category as vertebrates, including humans not humans' direct ancestors, Garcia-Bellido said, but "cousins."

Paleontologists will need to re-evaluate other vetulicolian species in search of notochords, Garcia-Bellido said. The ultimate goal is to reconstruct the family tree of some of the first animals ever to evolve.

"On our part, we will continue to excavate the [Kangaroo Island] locality, searching for more clues about the oldest animals in the world," he said.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Papa...

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Owned by Rob, as usual.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Meh. More failed reasoning.

Which eternity of torture do I avoid? the hindu ? the muslim ? the X , the Y ?

Further, wouldn't singing the praises of some narcissistic magic man for eternity be considered torture in and of itself?

What if you decide, some day 2 trillion years down the road, that you didn't WANT to sing the praises of this yutz that day? What if you wanted to leave this heaven place? Could you? Where would you go, if you could?

The way I see it, is that you are worried about just one less out of all the possibilities than I am.

Not much of a gamble now is it?

I know you don't spend time worrying about other s, or do you?
    Pascal's wager is still a decent argument. It's been refuted, but not defeated. I don't follow it, but that isn't because it's poorly done.

Even a marginal increase in possible benefit is enough to make a decision. Like if being christian gave a person a one-percent better chance of being saved than being an atheist, then it makes sense to be a christian, all other things equal. It's all about how much that one-percent increase is worth. Is it worth your reason or liberty? I don't think so. But some do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Pascal's wager is still a decent argument. It's been refuted, but not defeated. I don't follow it, but that isn't because it's poorly done.

Even a marginal increase in possible benefit is enough to make a decision. Like if being christian gave a person a one-percent better chance of being saved than being an atheist, then it makes sense to be a christian, all other things equal. It's all about how much that one-percent increase is worth. Is it worth your reason or liberty? I don't think so. But some do.
    But being a Christian doesn't entail chasing percentages. If that's your goal, you've already lost in Christianity. It's not even about self preservation, even if it's been morphed into that. So you spend your life thinking you're saved, going to church every Sunday, singing bull songs and all that, only to learn you're not and you end up in anyhow, vs the person who parties his ass off and ends up in the same place.

What does "all other things equal" mean? Is that your "I'm right" card? What other things?

Pascal's Wager has been destroyed. Get over it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The bible teaches nothing about morality that we can't discover for ourselves.

The fact that religions all attempt to teach morality, does not mean that morality can only be had from religious thinking.
    He has given up the pima causa and natural law arguments. It's why I quit responding to him. He doesn't even defend them on merit.

I have actually been prepared for him to put out the arguments formally. I looked up Russell's proofs against them and was going to shove him in his face but I think he knew that and has been dissembling ever since.

He is a coward and I mean that very truly. He is a small man that thinks that winning every small battle is more important than winning the war and is unaware of the futility.

The of course there is xmas and mouse who chime in with assertions of affirmation and not much else.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He has given up the pima causa and natural law arguments. It's why I quit responding to him. He doesn't even defend them on merit.

I have actually been prepared for him to put out the arguments formally. I looked up Russell's proofs against them and was going to shove him in his face but I think he knew that and has been dissembling ever since.

He is a coward and I mean that very truly. He is a small man that thinks that winning every small battle is more important than winning the war and is unaware of the futility.

The of course there is xmas and mouse who chime in with assertions of affirmation and not much else.
    No offense meant, but your arguments would carry more credibility and competence if you steered clear of the cussing, accusations, and invectives.
    They do nothing to support your contention except make you look childish.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings

get a ing life

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

If it's been refuted and you have no response to the refutation then there is no reason to give it merit. You can characterize the disposition how you like but it is categorically unsubstantiated. There is a nice box for you to understand, box boy.

Thread Information