My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need him!

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he has supposedly he said he's ready to come to the NBA, and Tau is in financial trouble, you've GOT to stop by Spain and get it done.

If the Spurs could get Splitter in here next year the team's dynamic changes dramatically. Pop will play him cause I've heard he's gaga over the guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question for Spurs fans: What are your expectations for Splitter's career with the Spurs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question for Spurs fans: What are your expectations for Splitter's career with the Spurs?
    I expect him to play 25-30 minutes a game.

12 pts
    8 rbs
    2 blks
    3 asts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

12 pts
    8 rbs
    2 blks
    3 asts
    If he can ever get here....

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Scola like production.

He's that talented IMO, but his advantage is he would have the Drew Gooden role as the go to low post guy for the second unit, and I would LOVE to see what he and Manu could do on pick and rolls.

Not much of a jump shooter from what I recall but his back to the basket game isn't bad.

Hes young though and IMO given the enviroment he can develop into a damn good player.

I just hope the reports as i stated above are true and the Spurs will pursue it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scola like production.

He's that talented IMO, but his advantage is he would have the Drew Gooden role as the go to low post guy for the second unit, and I would LOVE to see what he and Manu could do on pick and rolls.

Not much of a jump shooter from what I recall but his back to the basket game isn't bad.

Hes young though and IMO given the enviroment he can develop into a damn good player.

I just hope the reports as i stated above are true and the Spurs will pursue it.
    Then is fine, for a moment there I thought some guys were expecting a future all-star or something like that.

IMO Splitter won't be much of an offensive threat in the NBA 'cause like you said he doesn't have a reliable jumper and his post game isn't a big deal (again IMO), but I do agree that we need him and he'd inmidietly become the second best bigman in our team (I never saw Mahinmi play).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he'll play for SA, ever. That also doesn't disappoint me. Watched some Spanish league playoff action, and he didn't play that well. I think Spur fan over values him, simply because he not here and he's not a known commodity.

Where Everything Happens The Franchise's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I don't think he'll play for SA, ever. That also doesn't disappoint me. Watched some Spanish league playoff action, and he didn't play that well. I think Spur fan over values him, simply because he not here and he's not a known commodity.
    Other than him playing for SA, I think you are spot on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rarely does one get a chance to undo a mistake.

The Spurs mesed up when they assumed that Splitter was coming in '08 and, therefore, jettisoned the troublesome Scola in '07.

From there, the dominos fell (including Mahinmi's nondevelopment).

Go back in time Spurs and fix this. Get Splitter now!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good chance in 2010. No chance in 2009. Even if Tau went out of business, Splitter would be crazy to accept a rookie scale contract this year when he can wait for next year and negotiate a much larger deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought he played very well in the Euro Finals last year. And even if this year was down, he's still All-Euro Second Team. I think he'll be a good complimentary player in the frontcourt, not quite as good as Scola, but good enough to help.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good chance in 2010. No chance in 2009. Even if Tau went out of business, Splitter would be crazy to accept a rookie scale contract this year when he can wait for next year and negotiate a much larger deal.
    If the club is going out of business and wants him bought out, WTF can he do?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    we neeed himmmm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the club is going out of business and wants him bought out, WTF can he do?
    Sit on a beach for a year. The most the Spurs can pay him this year is the rookie scale. That means he's locked in for 4 yrs and a TOTAL of about 5M. In the summer of 2010 he can negotiate a contract up the MLE or the Spurs cap space, whichever is greater.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sit on a beach for a year. The most the Spurs can pay him this year is the rookie scale. That means he's locked in for 4 yrs and a TOTAL of about 5M. In the summer of 2010 he can negotiate a contract up the MLE or the Spurs cap space, whichever is greater.
    He's already stated he wants to come to the NBA next year.

For whatever thats worth from the liar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He actually said he would come this year (2008-09) and there are reports from Brazil indicating he plans to come in 2010.

I really can't hold any grudge against the guy, he had a sister that was dying and had the chance to make 4-5 times as much money.

There's no reason to believe he wasn't sincere when he came to San Antonio after the 2007 draft and said he looked forward to playing here in 2008. Cir stances changed.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, if you make an agreement to come, and a team plans a team around you coming, then you come. You don't back out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wasn't his sis hurt or sick or something?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, if you make an agreement to come, and a team plans a team around you coming, then you come. You don't back out.
    So you would've come in that situation? With your sis in the hospital, and the chance to stay with her as well as make 4x more?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't done the math yet but wouldn't it be easier to get Splitter in 2010 if the Spurs went the trade route this year instead of the 2010 Plan? Because even if you sign a big free agent in 2010, it'd be difficult to then pay considerable money to Splitter when there is a whole roster to fill out.

If you trade for a player this year then I assume the math works out to where the Spurs can use at least part of their MLE next season to get Splitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My memory of his 2007 visit to SA didn't include any mention of an agreement, but I looked it up to be sure. Both sides were obviously looking forward to a mutual future but there was no agreement.

Let me ask you a question. Based on your understanding of "agreement", if Splitter had torn an ACL in the 07-08 season in Spain, would the Spurs have been obligated to sign him and pay him for at least two years while he attempted to rehab?

Anyway.

Video: http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/draft_2007.html

E-N story: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/M..._html7043.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't done the math yet but wouldn't it be easier to get Splitter in 2010 if the Spurs went the trade route this year instead of the 2010 Plan? Because even if you sign a big free agent in 2010, it'd be difficult to then pay considerable money to Splitter when there is a whole roster to fill out.

If you trade for a player this year then I assume the math works out to where the Spurs can use at least part of their MLE next season to get Splitter.
    I think you're right. He really can't really expect to get more than the MLE, so if the Spurs preserve cap space and acquire a big ticket FA, they may not be able to offer much more than rookie scale. If they go the trade route, and perhaps extend Manu, they could be just over the cap and have the full MLE and LLE to use while staying under the tax.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

12 pts
    8 rbs
    2 blks
    3 asts
    I think thats expecting a bit much. Scola came in more skilled, and aged 27 after a decade of playing at Europes highest level, and 'only' managed 10-6 in his rookie season. The thing with Scola, he went from being a back to the basket 'Tim Duncan' type big in Europe, to a scrappy, hustle role player with some skill in the NBA - simply because he didnt have the size, length or athleticism to utilize alot of his best skills against the defenders in the NBA.

Tiago has a great post game already, and hes 7 feet with good athleticism and great agility for a guy that size. He already has developed foot work, but it might take him a while to learn to finish over bigger, more athletic defenders, but once he develops a jumper he could solve part of that problem.

Something around 20-25 Mins, 8-10 Pts, 5-6 Rbs and a Block, would be a great start.

Thread Information