My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "high hopes for the new Congress"

what do you hope, expect them to do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still pretty bad to their people last I checked.
    We don't have the balls to stand up to Cuba, and you want us to go after China?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't have the balls to stand up to Cuba, and you want us to go after China?
    I'm merely stating that we have normal diplomatic relations with plenty of meanie governments.

What do you mean by "stand up to" anyway?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrorist Muslim African helping terrorist commies. Nothing to see here folks

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually have high hopes for the new Congress. We'll see.
    Really? Why? What do you expect them to do other than send bills to Obama killing the ACA that will obviously be vetoed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? Why? What do you expect them to do other than send bills to Obama killing the ACA that will obviously be vetoed?
    protecting our freedoms

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "high hopes for the new Congress"

what do you hope, expect them to do?

Get *some* done in other areas where there might be some level of accord. I think McConnell can be a good negotiator.

I could be wrong tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, didn't mean to single out Rubio, he was just one of the first Cuban-Americans speaking out... I'm sure Bob Menendez is throwing a fit too as we speak...

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    I like this. I've always wanted to go to Cuba.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yoni will give his opinion as soon as he is told what it is.
    Don't really have an opinion - not much changes. But it's good to be living rent free in your head.

Oh, and these will now be legal...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good job Obama.

...waited 6 years to be able to say that and mean it.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't really have an opinion - not much changes. But it's good to be living rent free in your head.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a religious guy here, but props to Pope Francis for engineering some of this too...

Time will tell if this thing will work out or not, but after basically half a century of impasse and going nowhere, at least there's hope for some higher level dialogue.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Good. The fastest way to improve Cuba's standard of living is to trade with it.

...Until the IMF gives it a loan that is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, didn't mean to single out Rubio, he was just one of the first Cuban-Americans speaking out... I'm sure Bob Menendez is throwing a fit too as we speak...
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...+%28TPMNews%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. The fastest way to improve Cuba's standard of living is to trade with it.

...Until the IMF gives it a loan that is.
    some of those cars down there from the 40s, 50s might be worth a lot if cleaned up and auctioned off

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama hands Cuba's Castros a major victory, but Congress can still stop it

Not only does President Obama’s action fail to advance freedom in Cuba, it throws a lifeline to Cuba’s dictators, whose current supplier of funds, Venezuela, is on the ropes because of plunging oil prices. It surrenders to the demands for normalization that the Castros have been making for decades.

So what can Congress do?

Right off the bat, Congress must make it crystal clear to President Obama that he lacks the authority to lift the embargo on Cuba, allow trade to take place between the two nations, let tourists to go to Cuba to bail out the regime or give Cuba have access to capital markets. U.S. law—the Helms-Burton Act of 1996—gives the Congress power to override any action taken by the executive to lift the embargo.

In order to lift the embargo, the Cuban government would have to give the Cuban people a number of rights—of association, speech, political activity, etc.—that President Obama obviously failed to secure in his 45-minute conversation with Cuban dictator Raul Castro Tuesday.

Congress can also make clear to the president that there are statutory criteria that must be met before his administration can take Cuba off the State Department list of terrorism sponsors. The president must inform Congress that there has been a change of leadership and policies of the Cuban government and that Castro has given assurances that it will no longer support terrorist acts. Can President Obama do any of that?

Senators should also make clear that they will put a hold on any ambassador that Mr. Obama nominates to serve in Cuba unless he can guarantee that the Cuban government is no longer a threat to the United States and has decided to grant freedom to people in Cuba. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., has already said he plans to do that.

A native of Cuba, Mike Gonzalez escaped the Castro regime at age 12. He is a senior fellow in The Heritage Foundation’s Davis Ins ute for International Studies and the author of “A Race for the Future” How Conservatives Can Break the Liberal Monopoly on Hispanic Americans.”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/12/17/obama-hands-cuba-castros-major-victory-but-congress-can-still-stop-it/1

Fox!

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-17-2014 at 05:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like this. I've always wanted to go to Cuba.
    Dude, you have been able to go to Cuba since the 90s. My friends who have been say it's pretty damn expensive with US dollars though, and changing for Cuban dollars will get your ass thrown in prison for a long time.

Banned
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Dude, you have been able to go to Cuba since the 90s. My friends who have been say it's pretty damn expensive with US dollars though, and changing for Cuban dollars will get your ass thrown in prison for a long time.
    Did your friends told you about pros utes? are they cheap?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did your friends told you about pros utes? are they cheap?
    They said no need for hookers, as the es are so poor you just buy them dinner and you're balls deep an hour later tbh

Banned
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    They said no need for hookers, as the es are so poor you just buy them dinner and you're balls deep an hour later tbh
    But I heard there are tons of people asking for money on the streets, did your friends saw that?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barry ing up Repugs' holidays!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Important topics like obama's mentor being a terrorist, or terrorist attacks like Benghazi and how it was handled? Are you ing stupid? lol Those are important topics.

Yeah, let's overlook current hot topics in favor of some decades-late kindness being shown to each other by Cube and the US. In fact, Cuba isn't doing . All that's happening is Obama is trying to bend over for another tyrannical regime. I guess you guys love to see America let the bad guys win.
    Listen -for-brains, did you read the House Intelligence Committee report issued on Benghazi, that is if you have the mental capacity to digest anything longer than a Hannity talking point? And please enlighten us on how you think Bill Ayers has influenced US govt policy.

"Bending over for another tyrannical regime" .... How do you explain the US being allies with the following:
    The Batista regime that preceded Fidel Castro
    The House of Saud in Saudi Arabia which is an Islamic monarchy
    The military dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet
    The Shah of Iran before the mullahs came in
    General Franco in Spain
    Saddam Hussein, before he became the enemy

... And many more if you actually read history, you knuckle-dragging neanderthal. How do Rush and Hannity explain that?

Thread Information