Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Facebook post’s claim that government spending under Obama is "slower than at any time in nearly 60 years" is very close to accurate. ~PolitiFact

On May 22, 2012, Rex Nutting, the international commentary editor for the financial website Marke ch, published a column led, "Obama spending binge never happened." Nutting’s column explored data on federal spending patterns during recent presidencies, concluding that -- contrary to the tax-and-spend stereotype of Democrats -- President Barack Obama has actually presided over the smallest increases in federal spending of any recent president.

The column went viral. Within hours, people who liked the column were posting a graphic on Facebook that paired a line from Nutting’s column with a quote from Mitt Romney’s campaign website.

Under the heading, "Romney’s World," the Facebook post quoted a Romney Web page saying, "Since President Obama assumed office three years ago, federal spending has accelerated at a pace without precedent in recent history." (That accurately quotes Romney.)

Immediately to the right, under the heading, "Real World," the Facebook post provided a retort using a caption from Nutting’s key chart: "Government spending under Obama, including his signature stimulus bill, is rising at a 1.4 percent annualized pace — slower than at any time in nearly 60 years." (The post cited the quotation to the Wall Street Journal; technically, Nutting writes for Marke ch, which is an affiliate of the Wall Street Journal.)
    Read more: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-has-lowest-s/

Here are the numbers

President.....Fiscal year baseline.....Last fiscal year...Average percentage .................................................. ..........................increase per year
    Carter....................1977.................... .1981.....................16.4
    Nixon.....................1969.................... .1975.....................13.5
    Johnson.................1964.....................1 969.....................11.0
    George W. Bush......2001.....................2009........... ..........10.2
    Reagan...................1981..................... 1989.......................8.6
    Kennedy.................1961.....................1 964.......................7.1
    George H.W. Bush...1989.....................1993.............. .........5.8
    Clinton................... 1993.....................2001..................... ..4.0
    Eisenhower..............1953.....................1 961.......................3.6
    Obama....................2009..................... 2013.......................1.4

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    suck , . if he gets back in office itll mark the downfall of america. book it homeboy.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

The Facebook post’s claim that government spending under Obama is "slower than at any time in nearly 60 years" is very close to accurate. ~PolitiFact

Read more: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-has-lowest-s/

Here are the numbers

President.....Fiscal year baseline.....Last fiscal year...Average percentage .................................................. ..........................increase per year
    Carter....................1977.................... .1981.....................16.4
    Nixon.....................1969.................... .1975.....................13.5
    Johnson.................1964.....................1 969.....................11.0
    George W. Bush......2001.....................2009........... ..........10.2
    Reagan...................1981..................... 1989.......................8.6
    Kennedy.................1961.....................1 964.......................7.1
    George H.W. Bush...1989.....................1993.............. .........5.8
    Clinton................... 1993.....................2001..................... ..4.0
    Eisenhower..............1953.....................1 961.......................3.6
    Obama....................2009..................... 2013.......................1.4
    Have you considered how the spending looks when adjusted for inflation/deflation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you considered how the spending looks when adjusted for inflation/deflation?
    Can you elaborate with graphs and analysis?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Can you elaborate with graphs and analysis?
    Yes, but I'm not going to focus that much on this thread unless it gets more interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but I'm not going to focus that much on this thread unless it gets more interesting.
    It'll get more interesting when you elaborate.

Go on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now we are talking about derivatives. Its the rate of change from year to year not a comparison of an absolute.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the chart is spending growth per year, percentage relative to preceding year, not absolute dollars, so inflation adjustment over 30+years isn't a factor.

In dollars, Obama's first budget was smaller that dubya's of the preceding year.

Of course, W. Gecko and the right-wing propaganda machine is spewing lies about Obama's spending, in concert with their austerity-pimping, deficit-hawking (which is almost entirely Repug policy deficit, not Obama's), and stimulus-killing.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    suck , . if he gets back in office itll mark the downfall of america. book it homeboy.
    lol

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nutting should check his facts.

President Bush never saw a FY-2009 budget passed. The Democrats in Congress (That's right, they controlled Congress at the time) waited until Obama had been sworn in before passing an FY-2009 budget. Obama signed the Democrat authored budget bill on March 12, 2009.

President Bush has nothing to do with it.

The stimulus funds were piled on top of the regular FY-2009 appropriations; something else with which Bush (nor any Republican for that matter) had no involvement.

Even if the Democrat Congress had been inclined to work with President Bush on the spending measure -- which they weren't -- they appropriated over $400 Billion more in FY-2009 than President Bush had asked be appropriated.

Incidentally, Obama has been working without a budget ever since.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Obama has been working without a budget ever since."

The Repugs have been so willing to work with Obama and the Dems on EVERYTHING.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Obama has been working without a budget ever since."

The Repugs have been so willing to work with Obama and the Dems on EVERYTHING.
    Obama's own budget proposal was skunked in both houses of Congress this year. It's not just Republicans anymore...it appears the Democrats in Congress have seen what a profligate spender is this President. So much so, it even turns their stomachs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama's own budget proposal was skunked in both houses of Congress this year. It's not just Republicans anymore...it appears the Democrats in Congress have seen what a profligate spender is this President. So much so, it even turns their stomachs.
    except that wasn't his budget..which is now being reviewed by the CBO..

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Obama deserves praise because he's only driving towards the cliff 5mph faster than Bush did because Bush drove 10mph faster than the guy before him? Talk about lowering the ing bar. This is the most fiscally irresponsible administration ever. The fact that Obama narrowly eeked out the award over Bush whereas Bush won it in a landslide over his predecessors is hardly something deserving of praise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is further proof that polithacks and partisan bags lack commonsense.

It's so obvious that Nbadan and his legion of progressive useful idiots lack basic economics.

But don't worry about it, we have conservatives to protect us from the evil progressives from taking down our reh!

Except, they are a bunch of incompetent idiots who boast that reason is secondary to faith.

Anyway here's the simple logic.

First month's debit card balance: -20$

Second months's : -40$

Third months's: -70$

fourth month: -100$

5th month: -140$

If we look at the first graph, the second month saw the largest increase percentage wise in deficit spending. Spending grew by 50 percent even though only 20 dollars was added to the deficit in Joe blow's checking account.

here's the percentages in growth of deficit for each period.

1-2 month : 50%

2-3 month:57%

3-4 month: 42%

4-5 month 40%

even tho the last month cycle the largest spending in dollar amt came in at 40, it was percentage wise the least increase in spending. Why is this? because the percentage increase is measured up relatively to the last months billing statement... Nevermind, this board is too stupid to follow this. Let me make it simpler...

If Wild cobra ate his way to a gain of 40 lbs, his percentage in weight relative to his build grew 25 percent. But if Tpark added 60 lbs to his 300 lb frame logic would follow that msnbc, huffingtonpost, liberals, and the facebook sphere would have to applaud tpark for not being such a glutton like Wild Cobra because Tpark's fat grew only 20 percent.

Such logic is ridiculous.

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is further proof that polithacks and partisan bags lack commonsense.

It's so obvious that Nbadan and his legion of progressive useful idiots lack basic economics.But don't worry about it, we have conservatives to protect us from the evil progressives from taking down our reh!

Except, they are a bunch of incompetent idiots who boast that reason is secondary to faith.

Anyway here's the simple logic.

First month's debit card balance: -20$

Second months's : -40$

Third months's: -70$

fourth month: -100$

5th month: -140$

If we look at the first graph, the second month saw the largest increase percentage wise in deficit spending. Spending grew by 50 percent even though only 20 dollars was added to the deficit in Joe blow's checking account.

here's the percentages in growth of deficit for each period.

1-2 month : 50%

2-3 month:57%

3-4 month: 42%

4-5 month 40%

even tho the last month cycle the largest spending in dollar amt came in at 40, it was percentage wise the least increase in spending. Why is this? because the percentage increase is measured up relatively to the last months billing statement... Nevermind, this board is too stupid to follow this. Let me make it simpler...

If Wild cobra ate his way to a gain of 40 lbs, his percentage in weight relative to his build grew 25 percent. But if Tpark added 60 lbs to his 300 lb frame logic would follow that msnbc, huffingtonpost, liberals, and the facebook sphere would have to applaud tpark for not being such a glutton like Wild Cobra because Tpark's fat grew only 20 percent.

Such logic is ridiculous.
    Wall Street Journal..lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool Selective Pimping of the WSJ, bro

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool Selective Pimping of the WSJ, bro
    so the WSJ journal is run by a bunch of dumb liberals now..lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with gtown about the cherry picked numbers.

That said, Congress is largely responsible for spending/deficit, much more so than the Executive. Debt-ceiling, appropriations, the budget, taxes, etc etc... is all voted on by Congress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with gtown about the cherry picked numbers.

That said, Congress is largely responsible for spending/deficit, much more so than the Executive. Debt-ceiling, appropriations, the budget, taxes, etc etc... is all voted on by Congress.
    no, the president is SOLEY responsible

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Truth About the President and the Deficit

Arguably the biggest lie coming from the Republicans and the Romney campaign is that President Obama is a tax and spend liberal who's directly and personally responsible for record deficits and a crushing national debt.

Not only is Mitt Romney telling his supporters that President Obama continues to spend out of control, but additionally that the president is responsible for doubling the budget deficit since he took office. This is not a new attack. Republicans who blindly greenlit trillions in Bush-era spending have been engaged in this nonsense practically since the minute the president was inaugurated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-ce...=Daily%20Brief

Lies, Lies, Lies. That's all the Repugs have, with Gecko the Liar-in-Chief.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as they're blue-tinted you have no problem with this policy.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama is definitely not a tax and spend liberal. He's a don't tax, but spend anyway, try to make everybody happy centrist in the mold of his mentor W.

Thread Information