Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How tall is Bertans anyway? He looks taller than Dedmon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How tall is Bertans anyway? He looks taller than Dedmon.

A true 6'10"

Guy's had a 2 to 3 inch growth spurt since being drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ It's going to have to be on Pops bottom line bc Lee will lose minutes and Pops is loyal to his vets. Lee has individually been effective, but his game is very cancerous to others.

Can't tell much based on preseason though. It's too early.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee is a decent player he will get most minutes until Bertans learns the defense and offense system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shame that Bertans had such ty luck with his health..I would have loved to get him a couple years earlier in our program..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm interested to see what he can become. That jumpshot form is immaculate and I think when you have a shooter like that, he can thrive with playing with better players in a more structured system which is obviously what the regular season will be.

At this point in time, I find him more interesting than Anderson and much more interesting than Simmons. It could be a case of I know what those guys bring and Bertans is new, but I am very disappointed in the lack of obvious improvement in both Anderson and Simmons. I'm not sure either of those guys are going to be positives for this iteration of the Spurs.
    Bertans should be able to stick with the Spurs as a stretch 4 but he's going to have to get better results from the arc than he has so far in preseason. He's only shooting .312 on 3-Pt shots as compared with his overall FG rate of .407.

I just think the Spurs are experimenting with Anderson and he's really struggling to score. Although he has the 4th most minutes in pre-season and his rebounding and steals (1.6/gm) have been decent, his scoring is tepid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans should be able to stick with the Spurs as a stretch 4 but he's going to have to get better results from the arc than he has so far in preseason. He's only shooting .312 on 3-Pt shots as compared with his overall FG rate of .407.

I just think the Spurs are experimenting with Anderson and he's really struggling to score. Although he has the 4th most minutes in pre-season and his rebounding and steals (1.6/gm) have been decent, his scoring is tepid.
    Not to start the SAG Mill turning again, but I really think that Anderson and Bertans fit together well off the bench. I thought they really started to hit their stride during garbage time. Davis seems like a heady guy, and that will help find him minutes. The problem is that he can't defend at all. I'm not sure that he can even guard the other team's tenth-best player right now, and that's bad for his prospects of unseating Lee or Kyle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to start the SAG Mill turning again, but I really think that Anderson and Bertans fit together well off the bench. I thought they really started to hit their stride during garbage time. Davis seems like a heady guy, and that will help find him minutes. The problem is that he can't defend at all. I'm not sure that he can even guard the other team's tenth-best player right now, and that's bad for his prospects of unseating Lee or Kyle.
    Yeah, Kyle and Davis have developed some chemistry in working together. Defensively, Davis is below par - especially troubling after having played professionally for as long as he has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally want to avoid discussing Kyle here so I will do my best...

As for Bertans himself, I didn't want to throw sand on anyone who is getting enthusiastic about him bc in general ppl throw sand and dirt and rocks too much here. I didn't even want to come down with hard criticism on Lee bc brooklynfan and others look forward to seeing him help the team and I think he can, provided the right situation, which is not the situation in the bench.

Lee himself is not a defensive guy of any kind. His biggest value is rebounding. Originally, Dedmon started preseason so BAD, like really, really bad, to the point LJC looked better than Dedmon bad, so I thought, damn Pop is going to have to play a lot of really small ball with Lee, it doesn't look good.

But now that Dedmon is looking better, it's going to be on Pop to find out how to fit in Lee, and him with Dedmon ain't it.

It's too bad Bertans has been so poor defensively, he can't stay in front of anybody and for all of his quick feet, he doesn't use them well. His value has been in rim protection so far, but he's not beyond redemption. He has tools physically to be better and Lee is really no defensive player himself.

Anyways, it will be something to keep an eye on.

Here is the only mention I guess I will make on Kyle only bc it's relevant: he likes to shoot from the midrange, and hes' a guy that whether ppl criticize or not, likes to get to the rim for himself or to pass. He doesn't live on the jumpshot. I don't think he's gotten quality looks for himself playing with Lee, he's been better in lineups without him.

For Simmons, the same. He likes to get to the rim all the time. He needs spacing to do his thing. HIm playing with 2 non space providing bigs will turn him into the train-wreck he's looked at times.

Manu is not shooting much more efficiently than Anderson himself. Again his time with Lee has seen him try to get into the paint for contested bad floaters and stuff of that nature.

I have seen enough to not like Lee and how he influences the quality of others' shots and what they like to do. Either he starts hitting jumpshots or this will be Celtics 2015 and he will be benched.

I have seen Pop stagger Pau and LMA, so it's possible Pop is willing to work around Lee more than last season sticking with Tim/LMA though at times the second unit needed a rim protector.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is a certified bomber!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to assess a player's defense in a scrimmage, but Bertans was relatively active today. He is lacking the upper body strength to take on some bigs, but it's unlikely he'll often be guarding big 5's. He has the heights to play the 4 that's for sure. Looked taller than Kawhi.

On the other hand, his offense was unstoppable. Just as cutewizard said "a certified bomber."

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    thegreat on bertans a few months ago:
    All of them are scrubs
    me in early july:
    bertans will be in the rotation.
    thegreat recently:
    Bertans looks great.

Deserves to be in the second unit

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally want to avoid discussing Kyle here so I will do my best...

As for Bertans himself, I didn't want to throw sand on anyone who is getting enthusiastic about him bc in general ppl throw sand and dirt and rocks too much here. I didn't even want to come down with hard criticism on Lee bc brooklynfan and others look forward to seeing him help the team and I think he can, provided the right situation, which is not the situation in the bench.

Lee himself is not a defensive guy of any kind. His biggest value is rebounding. Originally, Dedmon started preseason so BAD, like really, really bad, to the point LJC looked better than Dedmon bad, so I thought, damn Pop is going to have to play a lot of really small ball with Lee, it doesn't look good.

But now that Dedmon is looking better, it's going to be on Pop to find out how to fit in Lee, and him with Dedmon ain't it.

It's too bad Bertans has been so poor defensively, he can't stay in front of anybody and for all of his quick feet, he doesn't use them well. His value has been in rim protection so far, but he's not beyond redemption. He has tools physically to be better and Lee is really no defensive player himself.

Anyways, it will be something to keep an eye on.

Here is the only mention I guess I will make on Kyle only bc it's relevant: he likes to shoot from the midrange, and hes' a guy that whether ppl criticize or not, likes to get to the rim for himself or to pass. He doesn't live on the jumpshot. I don't think he's gotten quality looks for himself playing with Lee, he's been better in lineups without him.

For Simmons, the same. He likes to get to the rim all the time. He needs spacing to do his thing. HIm playing with 2 non space providing bigs will turn him into the train-wreck he's looked at times.

Manu is not shooting much more efficiently than Anderson himself. Again his time with Lee has seen him try to get into the paint for contested bad floaters and stuff of that nature.

I have seen enough to not like Lee and how he influences the quality of others' shots and what they like to do. Either he starts hitting jumpshots or this will be Celtics 2015 and he will be benched.

I have seen Pop stagger Pau and LMA, so it's possible Pop is willing to work around Lee more than last season sticking with Tim/LMA though at times the second unit needed a rim protector.
    The only thing going for Lee is that he has a big body. Something Dedmon, LJC and Bertans lack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't play practical enough for my taste, play too cute a lot, and anyway I'm not going to put my eggs in a non ten fingers hands guy...

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    !st 8 mins. Bertans OG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't play practical enough for my taste, play too cute a lot, and anyway I'm not going to put my eggs in a non ten fingers hands guy...
    He's like the 11th man in the roster!

Pecking order Kawhi - Aldridge - Pau - Parker - Manu - Green - Mills - Anderson - Dedmon - Simmons - Bertans - Lee - Murray - LJC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wished we signed him to a longer contract. He'll be expensive if he finds any real production at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wished we signed him to a longer contract. He'll be expensive if he finds any real production at all.
    The Arenas rule will likely protect the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got a solid stroke and sneaky athleticism. He looks like he's going to pan out in the NBA. I see some basketball IQ as well. I think after all is said and done it is going to look like we fleeced the Pacers on that trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a fan. Shame he isn't better on the defensive end. Luckily he has the athleticism to be decent though. Needs to bulk up so he can fair better against fours.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got a solid stroke and sneaky athleticism. He looks like he's going to pan out in the NBA. I see some basketball IQ as well. I think after all is said and done it is going to look like we fleeced the Pacers on that trade.
    Agree completely. I think we're already in "fleece territory" with Kawhi alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Arenas rule will likely protect the Spurs.

That's what everybody said about Boban last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude lost a finger, and torn his same ACL twice. Kept playing and by all accounts he worked so hard in rehab he's lost little to no athleticism.

Davis is tough. Type of guy its hard not to root for.

If he becomes a solid rotation player and Kawhi an MVP the Hill trade may go down as one of the worst ever for Indiana. It already might for Kawhi alone.
    , it's already one of the worst trades in league history much less Indiana history. Bertans becoming something in the NBA is just icing on the cake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what everybody said about Boban last season.
    Two-years deals a much more stable than one-year deals, since you don't have to keep cap space or an exception to match. And Boban wasn't expensive, really. He was just too expensive for what the team needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PTR with some nice vines and tweets of Bertans from the Houston game. (As this as become the default "Church" of DB thread. )

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/...-davis-bertans

Thread Information