Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Pop-treats-everyone-the-same is only a stupid media narrative and always has been. Nor should he. Everyone who has managed even 2 people will tell you that individuals are different, they respond in different ways to situations, they have different motivations, different background, etc. Equality doesn't mean the same and it's lazy management to treat every unique person the same way. It's much more difficult than this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge is giving you 20/10 on 50% shooting. He's playing as well as he ever has as a Spur and you want Pop to "chew" him out?
    22 ppg and 8.5 but point taken. He leads the team in minutes and has a Net Rtg of +14, Aldridge is the biggest reason while the team is 9-6 instead of 6-9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's benched Pau (and yelled at him plenty of times despite your claims he wouldn't) and he called out LMA in the playoffs last season, which I can't recall him doing to a specific player . He's pulled both if they miss assignments or what not, and Pau saw the bench plenty at times last post season.

Of course some guys get a little more leeway when they've been with the team for so long. But don't pretend Manu/TP didn't have similar short leashes early on. Whether guys are ok with that style of coaching depends on them.

Also, Simmons got waaay more leeway last year than he had previously.
    But you saying to and Manu getting that treatment early on was my point... Thats how pop WAS... show me when Gasol and Aldridge... Even Patty ever got publicly chewed out like pop used to chew out players back then... Show Gasol NEVER got benched last year... You guys are trippin... Dedmon used to be benched for games on end... Pulling a player because of a bad play isn't a benching... Pop used to have certain players in the doghouse for days for one bad play, while others get to do that same bad play all the time... Let's not pretend as if that isn't the case

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's benched Pau (and yelled at him plenty of times despite your claims he wouldn't) and he called out LMA in the playoffs last season, which I can't recall him doing to a specific player . He's pulled both if they miss assignments or what not, and Pau saw the bench plenty at times last post season.

Of course some guys get a little more leeway when they've been with the team for so long. But don't pretend Manu/TP didn't have similar short leashes early on. Whether guys are ok with that style of coaching depends on them.

Also, Simmons got waaay more leeway last year than he had previously.
    That LMA callout was weak... Duncan used to get CHEWED out on national TV... Called soft, etc... LMA is treated with baby gloves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he treats each player in a way they best respond. What I would say is that he is more arrogant and outspoken with the public with a demeanor that isn’t consistent with humility or being “over yourself”

he has let some some of the media praise go to his head imo
    That's not what players praised him for in the past... They praised him for treating all the same... Having no favorites when it comes to discipline... And if his tactic now is to treat them in a way to make them respond the best, he is doing a poor job... Simmons got better since leaving... Patty got worse this season... Murray started out good, but pops handling of him has him passive on offense... And Aldridge has become Mr. Me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's literally never treated all players the same. Only an idiot would do that.
    “I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh? Elliott complains about how when DRob would screw up that Pop would yell at him instead because Dave did not react well to ranting. He's never treated all players the same. That is poor people skills.

What he has been known for is being direct and honest about where his players stand and does not sugarcoat it. He still does that.
    “I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP is an old re but we already knew that.

Pop never treated any of his player equally, he never managed Parker, Manu and Tim the same way... only a dumbass who never watch a Spurs game would think otherwise.

Here we go for another useless thread... I wish those old farts like OP or ducks would just quit posting on this board, those 80's idiots forgot we are in 2017

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's be honest with ourselves... Pop would have benched steph curry when he was younger the first time he pull up from 35 on a fast break... Steph wouldn't grow to be who he is... Draymond would still be a trash bench player in favor of David Lee, and the list goes on... Pop isn't perfect... He was much better in the past, but he is hypocritical and biased now with his treatment of players, and at times he can make young players play tight because they are afraid of being benched for older, worse players making the same mistakes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA is a star in the league, well established before coming to SA, and he has something the others don't: Options. Pop is a coach and the best at it, but he's also a businessman and knows what he has to bring to the negotiations. You can treat Simmons like a scrub, but you cannot treat LMA like one.
    Ur proving my point... Thats not how pop operated in the past... “I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He nearly tore Pau's head off for a botched screen in Game 5 against the Rockets last year (and he should have. It blew the last shot attempt and forced an overtime game). I think he does it plenty to all the parties. Not much to yell at LMA so far he's been playing best on the team. He yells at younger guys more, yes, but he's always done that. Probably because they make more mistakes.
    LMA has been here for years... There has been many times he has played like garbage... Played soft, etc... Pop has never done him like he has done Duncan on national TV... But let Dedmon make ONE dumb foul he is benched for weeks... Manu on the other hand can foul dirk, thus causing us to lose a championship... And it's all good... Matter of fact, Manu makes the most dumb fouls on the team, but he isn't chastised like a Dedmon or a Davis would be...

So in essence Pop is treating them like every other coach would... And THATS what players used to like about Pop... He was fair... Now a player like Murray looking at Patty stinking it up, taking bad shots and playing VERY poor defense get rewarded with the starting job because Murray missed a rotation, that doesn't garner respect... Kyle being benched for a bad pass, while Manu gets to go full turnobili doesn't garner respect...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop never treated any of his player equally, he never managed Parker, Manu and Tim the same way... only a dumbass who never watch a Spurs game would think otherwise.

Here we go for another useless thread... I wish those old farts like OP or ducks would just quit posting on this board, those 80's idiots forgot we are in 2017
    “I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man." And that's said from a player that hates the spurs...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He yelled at Parker but not Ginobili. I think it's a case by case basis.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Poop has never treated everyone the same, tbh. Just compare how he treated SJax, Simmons, and Dedmon to how he treated Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has admitted recently to some mistakes. He wanted to change guys games (Aldridge).
    He has restricted the youngest bench players in role. He admitted this season to not really figuring Kyle out and being neglectful of that previously. He might still not have done so, had Kawhi not been injured.
    He did manage to rectify the situation with Aldridge, but Dedmon and JSimms are gone, Lee retired, Dworst left 2 seasons ago disgusted, etc. Man is not perfect. He's better than most and I wouldn't change him for another coach, but to pretend he's made no errors is disingenuous. He has publicly admitted to some.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But you saying to and Manu getting that treatment early on was my point... Thats how pop WAS... show me when Gasol and Aldridge... Even Patty ever got publicly chewed out like pop used to chew out players back then... Show Gasol NEVER got benched last year... You guys are trippin... Dedmon used to be benched for games on end... Pulling a player because of a bad play isn't a benching... Pop used to have certain players in the doghouse for days for one bad play, while others get to do that same bad play all the time... Let's not pretend as if that isn't the case
    What’s your point w/ all of this? We won a ‘Ship 3 years ago w/ that same version of Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another garbage tier thread from OP
    house crumbled in hurricane, yet on ST everyday making worthless topics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ur proving my point... Thats not how pop operated in the past... “I would rather play for Pop,” Horry said. “The thing that I’d say best about Pop is he would curse you out, (but) he treats everybody the same on the team, whether you’re a starter or the 12th man."
    Horry was never at LMA level, not as far as "big name free agent" status goes. He was certainly more clutch, cold blooded, assassin, etc....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This kinda hurts my feelings, what's worse is that I agree with you.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s your point w/ all of this? We won a ‘Ship 3 years ago w/ that same version of Pop.
    If we don't win a 'ship every year, everything is pure crap and we can vent about stuff that deep inside has nothing to do with what we are venting about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Point is we could have won MORE championships...as great as pop is...we could have won at least one more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Point is we could have won MORE championships...as great as pop is...we could have won at least one more

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    house crumbled in hurricane, yet on ST everyday making worthless topics
    spamming robert horry's quote as if it is some kind of evidence of anything as he floats on a wooden raft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spamming robert horry's quote as if it is some kind of evidence of anything as he floats on a wooden raft
    Lololol...nice...

Thread Information