Page 15 of 134 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte in 5 games in the D-league is averaging 17 pts 9 reb 8 assist and 2 steals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte in 5 games in the D-league is averaging 17 pts 9 reb 8 assist and 2 steals
    Awesome. If he can add about eight ppg to that, he'll be where he needs to be to take the next step. Before learning to be a Spur, he has to learn to be an NBA player. Let's hope that he can keep doing that.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    He's averaging 5 turnovers & shooting 10% from 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's averaging 5 turnovers & shooting 10% from 3.
    20 yr old with elite size and athleticism averaging near a triple double. Pop has mentioned in interviews he doesn't care how many mistakes Murray makes in the D-league, he wants him to focus on learning the system and how to become an NBA player. It would seem averaging near a triple double is doing exactly what they asked of him. They don't want to ruin what the kid does, they want to capitalize on potential.

I think he shot 10% fg percentage one game. His shot was his known weakness, as is most slashers. At 20, I'm pretty comfortable that he hasn't developed a shot yet. He was never, at any level, asked to shoot, mainly because he didnt' have to. We've seen him get hot in games, so the ability is there.

As far as I'm concerned, kid is doing good. If he had an NBA shot to go with everything else, He wouldn't have been drafted outside the top 5.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    20 yr old with elite size and athleticism averaging near a triple double. Pop has mentioned in interviews he doesn't care how many mistakes Murray makes in the D-league, he wants him to focus on learning the system and how to become an NBA player. It would seem averaging near a triple double is doing exactly what they asked of him. They don't want to ruin what the kid does, they want to capitalize on potential.

I think he shot 10% fg percentage one game. His shot was his known weakness, as is most slashers. At 20, I'm pretty comfortable that he hasn't developed a shot yet. He was never, at any level, asked to shoot, mainly because he didnt' have to. We've seen him get hot in games, so the ability is there.

As far as I'm concerned, kid is doing good. If he had an NBA shot to go with everything else, He wouldn't have been drafted outside the top 5.
    Yup. The last game he was 2-19, but did get 15 boards and 13 assists, and got to the line effectively.
    If anything, he failed to be "spur like" in terms of that it was a 6 point game, his teammates were all shooting over 50% and he continued to shoot. Eventually the team lost because of that "selfish" at ude.

I am not picking on the guy, just pointing that a PG needs to realise where to carry the ball and who to give shoots to when your teammates are hot and you are not, specially in a game that was decided by 3 points until the last ball.

Off Topic: Livio is becoming dead weight for that team, he has not shown any ability to rebound or defend consistently.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. The last game he was 2-19, but did get 15 boards and 13 assists, and got to the line effectively.
    If anything, he failed to be "spur like" in terms of that it was a 6 point game, his teammates were all shooting over 50% and he continued to shoot. Eventually the team lost because of that "selfish" at ude.

I am not picking on the guy, just pointing that a PG needs to realise where to carry the ball and who to give shoots to when your teammates are hot and you are not, specially in a game that was decided by 3 points until the last ball.

Off Topic: Livio is becoming dead weight for that team, he has not shown any ability to rebound or defend consistently.
    That sounds very poor from Murry, jacking up shots with the game on the line when he's shooting so poorly is not smart.

As for LJC, why is the did the Spurs waste that draft pick on him. Their foreign drafting of players has panned out less than good most of the time. Anyone know how their center has been playing in Europe this season, or does he look bad too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice, that's good to hear. Let's hope he improves his 3 point shot and limits his turnovers!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sounds very poor from Murry, jacking up shots with the game on the line when he's shooting so poorly is not smart.

As for LJC, why is the did the Spurs waste that draft pick on him. Their foreign drafting of players has panned out less than good most of the time. Anyone know how their center has been playing in Europe this season, or does he look bad too?
    LJC outplayed most of the top draft picks his rookie season at the showcase game. He was never the same after the injury. Preinjury, he looked perfect for the spurs. He was doing everything Dedmon does now. It's crazy how fast he fell off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree as far as real games go in the NBA. I don't mind it in the dleague. I agree with pop that it's the perfect place to not worry about mistakes and learn how they impact the game. He's trying to win, shows up in all his stats.
    Can't help but bet on that type of mentality with that potential.

Needs a better shot and maybe those looks don't look so bad in hindsight. I love the assists and rebounds though.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    little DPG getting burnt again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He was the same in college. Feast or famine dude. His team in college was awful in large part bc of this (and his terrible defense as wwell). He was a bad decision maker and obviously a bad shooter. But obviously there is the athleticism and physical profile. It's a process I guess. Things are fixable but they take time (like shooting for example).

Thanks for the report kaji.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Milutinov allegedly is playing less minutes than last season and appears to have regressed but it's a very small sample size. I have not observed him but there are some reports and chat about him in the think tank section.

If anything I think since Bertans the Spurs international scouts have missed on a lot of guys that have gone late in the first or in the second round. That is probably what makes me wonder late 1st round picks and 2nd round picks are huge gambles with a large margin of error anyways, but since the Spurs were looking to avoid adding someone to the roster some years and were targeting foreign players to stash anyways, they missed on a few good guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to bump this thread too.

The Spurs’ decision to waive backup point guard Nicolas Laprovittola on Tuesday should clear the path for first-round draft pick Dejounte Murray to see more playing time eventually.
    Coach Gregg Popovich stresses the word “eventually.”
    Though Popovich has been pleased with Murray’s progress, he would not rule out more seasoning trips to the Development League for the 20-year-old.
    “The more minutes he gets, the better,” Popovich said. “He will still play some minutes in the D-League. I don’t think it will do him much good just to sit on the bench.”
    “He needs to get repe ion on pick and rolls, making decisions on the fast break, that sort of thing,” Popovich said. “He will still do double duty (in the D-League) in that sense, but I just think his potential is off the charts. … We just need to work on his skills and stick with it.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is that this means he'll be playing in Austin on off days but be active for every SA game. It's a great thing to have both teams so close. Would have liked to see him settle in for the Toros instead, but we'll see. I'd also like see him come in for Manu rather than just Tony. That's likely where he'd be playing next season, so he should get more time there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really excited about this kid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some highlights from Austin:

Scoring

Defense

Passing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is that this means he'll be playing in Austin on off days but be active for every SA game. It's a great thing to have both teams so close. Would have liked to see him settle in for the Toros instead, but we'll see. I'd also like see him come in for Manu rather than just Tony. That's likely where he'd be playing next season, so he should get more time there.
    Pop's statement that his potential is off the charts makes me believe he will be afforded opportunities whenever they can spare him. Pop hasn't made statements like that about young players recently. He has praised Simmons for example, but not to that extent.

You have a good idea with him being active for games but getting Austin games in off days. Pop called it "double duty."

In that sense I understand waiving Nico. I don't think it was necessary to waive him per se... but it seems Pop didn't want to have the conflict with having to find opportunities for Nico to play when in reality he saw Murray's potential and his development coming along and he could not envision at this point wanting to play Nico over Murray. I can see that putting him in a bind as a coach bc he owed it to Nico too to find him some playing time if he was still on the team. Pop has really bought in with Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is not tye worst at evaluating talent so that's a good sign.

The last time he praised someone ridiculous, that player turned into one of the best players in the NBA. "He's a franchise player"...and that was kawhi's second year IIRC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's statement that his potential is off the charts makes me believe he will be afforded opportunities whenever they can spare him. Pop hasn't made statements like that about young players recently. He has praised Simmons for example, but not to that extent.

You have a good idea with him being active for games but getting Austin games in off days. Pop called it "double duty."

In that sense I understand waiving Nico. I don't think it was necessary to waive him per se... but it seems Pop didn't want to have the conflict with having to find opportunities for Nico to play when in reality he saw Murray's potential and his development coming along and he could not envision at this point wanting to play Nico over Murray. I can see that putting him in a bind as a coach bc he owed it to Nico too to find him some playing time if he was still on the team. Pop has really bought in with Murray.
    Supposedly, the Spurs were considering trading into the lottery to pick him. I thought that was just ex post facto PR hubbub, but maybe they really did like him that much? Murray vs McCaw should be an interesting debate this time next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is not tye worst at evaluating talent so that's a good sign.

The last time he praised someone ridiculous, that player turned into one of the best players in the NBA. "He's a franchise player"...and that was kawhi's second year IIRC.
    Agree...I had not seen the Murray article until today.
    I was already excited about him and the Nico thing made me think Pop wanted to prioritize him, but to see it directly from Pop is something else...
    raybies ought to be super happy. Though Murray was my draft pick of choice (just on physical attributes, he was super erratic in college)... raybies stuck by him through thick and thin and wanted to see him more this season.

Hopefully we see him develop and come along more through the season. I am higher on him than I ever was on Simmons or Anderson... Not that I have abandoned any wagons mind you, but he's just 20 and clearly has the physical attributes to develop into a terrific player if he puts the work in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly, the Spurs were considering trading into the lottery to pick him. I thought that was just ex post facto PR hubbub, but maybe they really did like him that much? Murray vs McCaw should be an interesting debate this time next year.
    I saw somewhere that Spurs (RC personally but I am not sure about Pop...) flew to see him at his agent's office in CLE... (Rich Paul i think?) bc his agent had him on the exclusive, he wasn't available for draft day interviews, etc. Dijon said in an interview that the chemistry with the team was instantaneous and that after meeting them he wanted to get drafted by them, but obviously he had no idea if they would be able to get him as he expected to go higher and didn't know about any trades. But at least that confirms that the Spurs due diligence with Dijon was very active. (they were rumored to have scouted Ulis really hard too... guards must have been a priority).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really excited about this kid.
    Great to hear. He fell into a potentially perfect opportunity. Most lottery teams wouldn't be score to develop him and he'd waste away

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe they're thinking that they just won't be able to afford to keep Patty next year, so they need to get Murray more minutes against higher-level compe ion? They obviously decided that Lap wasn't going to be enough of a 3rd PG this year, and didn't have the upside of Murray for the future. Murray has been a TO machine in Austin, and it's hard to imagine that getting better against NBA defenders in the near term.

Forbes has been shooting his ass off in Austin, but can't defend for . Cory Jefferson has been beasting in Austin, but he'd average a foul-out in 15 minutes against NBA players, I'm afraid. And Bertans can't get on the court here. Maybe there's someone getting bought out that they think is better?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Encouraging words from pop

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pops comment shows that he has the work ethic and character it takes to become a good player. Can't wait to see his game improve.

Thread Information