Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garrett Temple is a point guard. It's not a semantic argument. We have no idea what kind of minutes Neal is going to get. The Spurs may have signed him to keep him off the market and as insurance. I would be willing to bet that Temple has a spot on the roster opening night.
    Yah, he'll have a spot, right behind Popovich in Ian's vacated seat.

So according to your book of wisdom, Temple is a point guard but George Hill isn't?

In my book, they are almost identical players, save for a few inches of height. With a guy like Neal aboard on a guaranteed contract, the spurs don't have the minutes nor do they really need Garret Temple

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garrett Temple is a point guard. It's not a semantic argument. We have no idea what kind of minutes Neal is going to get. The Spurs may have signed him to keep him off the market and as insurance. I would be willing to bet that Temple has a spot on the roster opening night.
    Sure we do, 0-1 minutes. If he isn't balling for the Toros that is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the signing. Let Gee, Hairston, Temple, Anderson, and now Neal battle it out to fill out the roster. . While the rest can go and develop with the Toros...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so thismeans mason is not coming back
    Please. That choker wasnt coming back anyway...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, that's a lot of cheese for 5 games...but it was said that he had to have a bunch of guaranteed money on the table to leave Europe. There it is.
    We're not exactly talking about a kid that just missed the draft this season but then had a monster summer league. This is a guy that has been dominating as the go-to guy in Europe and has already established himself as a difference maker on a fairly high level. A lot of people were saying that he was a darkhorse to get a contract before summer league even began. Don't act like summer league is the only thing driving this decision. Thats just asinine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this the guy that EricB's source mentioned we were getting with the LLE?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this the guy that EricB's source mentioned we were getting with the LLE?
    I forgot about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a little surprised you guys are so surprised by this signing. It makes a lot of sense, imo.

Again, after last year we all saw our need for more shooters. I don't think you can say the need is filled with 1 draft pick. If Anderson were to get hurt, what guard off the bench would you describe as a shooter? Hill is getting better, but he's no marksman. Neal is a great safety net.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool!!! Glad the Spurs snagged Neal!

As was stated in the Memphis Summer League game blog and elsewhere, Neal is more than just your average D-Leaguer. He was the Italian League scoring leader. He showed that he was strong, savvy and could really score with no fear of putting the ball up.

It was going to take a decent commitment to bring him in. I'm much happier about this signing than I was with the Marcus Haislip signing last year.

Anderson replaces Mason
    Neal probably replaces Bogans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're not exactly talking about a kid that just missed the draft this season but then had a monster summer league. This is a guy that has been dominating as the go-to guy in Europe and has already established himself as a difference maker on a fairly high level. A lot of people were saying that he was a darkhorse to get a contract before summer league even began. Don't act like summer league is the only thing driving this decision. Thats just asinine.
    You might want to make sure he knows where Europe is first

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    No, but his draft position does lock him into a pay scale should he sign a contract. The spurs do not have to sign him though.
    They have to do one of three things:

1 tender him guaranteed contract offer

2 renounce his rights

3 get HIM to agree to defer the contract to later. He is under no obligation to do so and can demand the contract offer immediately. US players almost never do this.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But this is another signing that favors offense over defense...i thought the Spurs were looking to shore up its defensive liabilities this season...odd...

So who're the good defenders on the team now?
    Duncan (team defense, not so much individual defense anymore), Hairston, Temple, Hill (Maybe?), Splitter (Once he gets used to the NBA rules?), Manu?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But this is another signing that favors offense over defense...i thought the Spurs were looking to shore up its defensive liabilities this season...odd...

Duncan (team defense, not so much individual defense anymore), Hairston, Temple, Hill (Maybe?), Splitter (Once he gets used to the NBA rules?), Manu?
    The Spurs were also looking to improve their overall 3-point shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of reminds me of a poor mans Ben Gordon. Do you think maybe we signed him to use in a trade later?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WOW! Another SG!? We need another SF.... we have a glutton of guards now...

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another 1 dimensional shooter...

When will the F'ing stupid FO LEARN!!!

Successful players:

Bowen : Stud Defender & Effective 3 Pt Shooter
    Barry : Stud Shooter & excellent passing/ball movement
    Elie: Stud Shooter & effective defender

Failed Players

Mason : Stud Shooter & nothing else (ok, big time mental breakdown)
    Finley's 2nd contract : Shooter & all else
    Jack McClinton : Shooter & all else (didn't even make it out of training camp)

Quit signing people who are shooters and nothing else. PPG & FG%are not the only measure of a players value...
    Does this include Kerr? IIRC he got us past Dallas after riding the pine.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs were also looking to improve their overall 3-point shooting.
    Right, which was one of the reasons for drafting Anderson...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We have legit defenders at every position even if we don't have a designated stopper like we used to. Do we have Bowen? No. Are there any Bowen-level defenders available? No.

Usually (as in, not Miami) teams have to cobble together the best team they can, not the best team, period. There was a need for shooters this offseason, and Neil seems like a safe bet to fill that need even if his defense is still an unknown quan y.

Bear in mind that he's been expected to shoulder the bulk of scoring on the teams he's been on and may have gotten in the habit of shirking defense in order to keep himself out of foul trouble. We do know he's a shooter and play-maker, and some coaching may help round him out, so I see this as a low-risk/high-reward move by the FO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of reminds me of a poor mans Ben Gordon. Do you think maybe we signed him to use in a trade later?
    No, but it could work out that way down the line, I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal puts the roster at 14 (Which includes Hairston, Gee, Temple). I expect Spurs to fill the 15th spot with a young promising big man to stash in Austin.
    I'm curious - how many players are the Spurs allowed to stash in Austin at one time? I believe it's either 2 or 3. For the sake of this post I'm going to assume 3.

Lets consider that the roster likely looks something like this:

Parker/Hill/Temple
    Ginobili/Anderson/Neal
    Jefferson/Hairston/Gee
    Duncan/Splitter/Bonner
    Blair/McDyess/Developmental Bigman?

So who among those players is even elligible for the Toros?

Garrett Temple (1 season)
    James Anderson (2 seasons)
    Gary Neal (2 seasons)
    Alonzo Gee (1 season)
    Tiago Splitter (2 seasons)
    DeJuan Blair (1 season)
    Developmental Bigman (Unknown - likely 1-2 seasons though)

Of the players listed, we know several will definitely not be in Austin (Splitter, Blair) and we can hopefully assume that several players will not need it based on their draft position or previous experience (Anderson, Neal).

Based on this roster I think Gee is a lock to be in Austin next season. His game is oozing with potential, but still lacks refinement. If the Spurs sign a developmental big (which is hardly a sure thing) then I don't see any option other than Austin.

So based on the aforementioned roster, we have to place 3 players in Austin and we have already placed 2 there (Gee, Developmental big). Based on this 15 man roster we still need to to make one more player inactive or send them to Austin. There are a few choices:

1) Send another player to Austin. Who? Pick one of Splitter, Blair, Temple, Anderson or Neal. I'm going to assume that Blair and Splitter are locks to be active all year, so that leaves Temple, Anderson and Neal.

2) Waive a player, placing the roster at 14, and requiring only 2 inactive players. Who do you waive? Probably Hairston. I doubt any of Parker, Hill, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan, Bonner (and his shiny new contract) or McDyess would be waived before Hairston.

3) IR a player without Toros eligibility. Who would that be? Best guess is either Hairston or Bonner.

4) Make a trade. Anybody's guess.

So, who is active and who isn't?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you guys are too damn paranoid, did you not see the press conference on the anderson signing?? i mean hes all over their site of course hes going to be signed!!! they feel they are just as lucky this year, as they were last to get that type of player. so with tiago/RJ/neal/anderson signed do we have room for temple/hairston/gee?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the 6'6" guys is gonna have to back up at SF. Gee and Temple can shoot and defend. Gee is a tough rebounder from the look of him in SL. Both can play a little PG and I think Neal was also trying to make that shift on his Euro team.

And if someone has to go, My guess is Hairston since he can't shoot worth a damn from the perimeter.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the 6'6" guys is gonna have to back up at SF. Gee and Temple can shoot and defend. Gee is a tough rebounder from the look of him in SL. Both can play a little PG and I think Neal was also trying to make that shift on his Euro team.

And if someone has to go, My guess is Hairston since he can't shoot worth a damn from the perimeter.
    Gee's outside shot didn't look all that great, either...at least in the limited 5 game sample of the SL...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you guys are too damn paranoid, did you not see the press conference on the anderson signing?? i mean hes all over their site of course hes going to be signed!!! they feel they are just as lucky this year, as they were last to get that type of player. so with tiago/RJ/neal/anderson signed do we have room for temple/hairston/gee?
    I'm starting to have doubts those guys will be on the opening day roster. They'll most likely be on IR/toros or gone. Feel a bit bad for Hairston, but he's been languishing so long trying to get opportunities that never came, I think a new team and a fresh start is the only solution now. RIP Malik.

I'm comfortable with this roster on opening day

C Duncan | McDyess
    PF Splitter | Blair | Bonner
    SF Jefferson | Anderson
    SG Manu | Neal
    PG Parker | Hill

IR/Toros: Temple | Gee | ?
    Gone: Hairston

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    stop doubting haristom gots