San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    flaglot stalker thinks i'm a priest. lol
    This is a decent to solid band name.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This is a decent to solid band name.
    GSH unknowingly came up with another one.

bras and motor oil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GSH unknowingly came up with another one.

bras and motor oil.
    LOL, that sounds like that song from " Yeah" called "Alcohaulin Ass"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me the biggest irony about this whole situation is this:

You have the Obama administration saying these en ies have to include birth control in their prescription plans. Now, the hierarchy of the Catholic Church may have gotten bent out of shape, but most Catholics to whom I have spoken have no problem with this. I have even spoken to priests who personally will tell you that they believe that religious freedom means the Church should not impose its beliefs on others.
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding you. How exactly does the Catholic Church teaching that contraception is immoral, strip religious freedom from an American Citizen?

I have found it odd that people who speak of religious freedom in this matter seem to care about the rights of organized religion, as opposed to the individual rights of the people to practice what they do or do not believe.
    What individual right is being forfeit? Certainly there is no cons utional right to contraception. Organized religions cannot prevent a women from going to a clinic to receive contraception. They certainly cannot prevent Walmart from selling contraception.

Isn't it the individual's freedom that is more vital? I am just surprised at the number of people, especially supposed conservatives, who believe in the right of an organization to impose its beliefs and practices on an individual simply because that person is an employee or a student. Would they feel the same were it a non-Christian religion?
    Who is to say whose rights are more vital? An organized religion is made up of people who hold certain core beliefs and I would think their individual freedom is just as important.

I do not see the issue as a religion forcing their principles and beliefs on the individual. There is nothing that prohibits the individual from purchasing and taking their own contraception. There is no violation of any individual right imposed by the organization.

We can both agree that eating a balanced diet and getting regular exercise is essential to my health and to a healthy life. But we would not be in favor of the government forcing grocery stores to pay for me to eat a balanced diet or a gym to grant me free membership so I can use their treadmill.

I have no problem with a women taking contraception. My wife does. We paid for it during college when it was not covered under our plan. We then chose a health care plan that was more favorable to what we wanted while I was in law school. Contraception was included with like a $5.00 copay. We did not view it as a right but rather as a choice. We chose to pay for a plan that offered it, I am sure women have access to contraception throughout the country.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are NOT paying for it. The insurance is paid for by the student and is not subsidized by the university.
    Then choose a university that offers the health coverage you are looking for. There is no right to go to Georgetown.

I am not going to go to BYU and demand that the honor code should not apply to me. I'll go to Texas State and have all the sex I want.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well said. It has been interesting to me that Santorum lost the Catholic vote in the last couple of elections. A lot of Catholics ignore the Church's hierarchy.
    Which is the individuals right to do. No one compels them to comply with the church's teachings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then choose a university that offers the health coverage you are looking for. There is no right to go to Georgetown.
    There is a right to protest the policy. Might not be the most advisable or effective tack; and certainly others are as free to to criticize Fluke as she is to criticize Georgetown.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a right to protest the policy. Might not be the most advisable or effective tack; and certainly others are as free to to criticize Fluke as she is to criticize Georgetown.
    I completely agree. But to me, going to the school is more of a showing that you support or are at least okay with policy.

In Fluke's case, perhaps she chose the school just to protest the policy.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In Fluke's case, perhaps she chose the school just to protest the policy.
    "30 year old law student"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as we're speculating about the motives of others, mightn't there have been professional reasons as well? Georgetown Law is well-regarded, isn't it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as we're speculating about the motives of others, mightn't there have been professional reasons as well? Georgetown Law is well-regarded, isn't it?
    Immensely so.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    flaglot stalker thinks i'm a priest. lol
    I was thinking you were a victim, and that's why you are so full of hatred and revenge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As in most graduate programs, they have a better reputation in some areas than in others. It is my understanding that it may not be the best corporate law program in the country, but it is supposedly one the 5 finest with respect to cons utional and political law.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. But again, she could choose just about any school if she can qualify for Georgetown. Going to lawschool at any of the top 50 schools will grant her plenty of professional opportunities. Testifing before congress demonstrates that she is a bit of a crusader for contraception. Nothing wrong with that. But someone that smart should also be smart enough to check to see what insurance the school offers. If its that big of a deal, go to another top 10 school. Virgina is about 21/2 hours away as is William and Mary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As in most graduate programs, they have a better reputation in some areas than in others. It is my understanding that it may not be the best corporate law program in the country, but it is supposedly one the 5 finest with respect to cons utional and political law.
    Its a top 20 school. She will be able to buy all the contraception she wants once she graduates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    basically, the argument goes like this: Sandra Fluke a , a and a hooker because she is a feminist of some kind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because she holds some putatively disreputable political view, and had the temerity to defend it publicly before Congress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    am I sympathetic to her plight? not particularly.

but I see her point, even though I do not agree with it, and see nothing dishonorable or even disreputable about advocating a particular point of view, no matter how foolish, grandstanding or misguided it may be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does being outspoken make one a ? if so, aren't we all es here?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does being outspoken make one a ? if so, aren't we all es here?
    If directred to me you are asking the wrong person. I don't think she is a and she can fight for whatever message she wants. Nor do I care that sponsers pull out from Limbaugh for what he said. He is a big boy and should answer for his stupidity. Juding the facts that I have seen presented to me through this website and the few other media outlets and the fact that she has made her case public (i.e. going before congress) I can conclude that if it really matters to her, she should have probably picked a different school or just pay the 5-10 dollars a month that contraception costs.

My original point goes to the heart of the matter, or what I take from this is the heart of the matter to me; there is no right to contraception and government should not require insurance companies to provide such coverage. There are insurance companies that provide contraceptionas part of their coverage. There are pleanty of universities that will provide contraception if you just visit the health center.

I have probably dedicated more time to this than I intended when I made my original post.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    aren't we all es here?
    Absolutely. In the real world most do not have the balls to say what either Fluke or Limbaugh say. I shy away from controversy and it is my job to be disagreeable.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    basically, the argument goes like this: Sandra Fluke a , a and a hooker because she is a feminist of some kind.
    Really...

I thought it was because she was advocating for others to pay for her sex.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really...

I thought it was because she was advocating for others to pay for her sex.
    She asked for her insurance to cover birth control. I'll bet you don't know this but someone can take birth control without ever having sex....

Oh, and she pays for her insurance.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So this story is basically not a story anymore right?

Thread Information