Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Try to explain the tv/cell phone/radio to those back in those days. You'd be laughed at.

Tell Jesse Owens who was a 9.4 guy that a junior in high school would run a 9.0. Try to explain Usain Bolt to 1910 tracksters. You'd be a crack pot.

This old world just hangs there. A gigantic ball of fire just hangs over there burning forever.

I'm no Bible thumper at all, I'm actually very skeptical of what is written there. I do think instead of Odin, Jupiter, Oisis and Zeus we have God. For some unknown reason God stuck, the others got demoted to myths. We can't however play this.."no way that's possible". If something the size of Earth can just hang there anything is possible. Save the... it's gravity dummy, it can be explained"....has it always been explainable?

To think nothing supernatural is possible is ridiculous. Sure we can't explain it, sure it appears to be a load of bull but so would a ton of other things once upon a time. We just are so used to being able to explain everything that when up against something we can't explain it has to be..."that's impossible and only a dummy would believe that bull".

Somebody explain the record to me. How can I listen to some old blind Mississippi bluesman from 1926 in 2012? I doubt anyone here really knows how that works. Try explaining it to those here 500 years ago.
    dude, you never go full re

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm no Bible thumper at all, I'm actually very skeptical of what is written there. I do think instead of Odin, Jupiter, Oisis and Zeus we have God. For some unknown reason God stuck, the others got demoted to myths. We can't however play this.."no way that's possible". If something the size of Earth can just hang there anything is possible. Save the... it's gravity dummy, it can be explained"....has it always been explainable?
    tbh this paragraph exemplifies the re ation, I stopped there

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Think about it, prove the Bible stories/God aren't myths. Go ahead.

What seperates Hercules from Samson?
    Prove I'm not your mother got.

and @ the bolded part. What point are you trying to make here?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I literally lol'd at how dumb you are

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Carolina Tar Heels
    The thing is this...

The first creatues on land did come from the sea, if we buy into evolution. From those creatures we did get...birds? How in the did that really happen? Where did the idea of flight even come from? Yet we'll...oh yeah sure, that happened. Which is about as hard to grasp as "there is a God."
    Not really.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    is this what an american high school education gets you?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    your mother prick.

ing dummy

moron...

idiot.

I refuse to debate anyone who replies in this manor.

Make a trade steal
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Darwin turned bitter towards God and to an atheist after his daughter Annie died at a young age. He could not understand how could God allow his daughter to die and came to the conclusion that there was no God.
    It fueld his theroy of evolution.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    I can see (by that I mean physically see) supporting evidence of evolution. Do I fully buy into it? Not really. But,

I can not see any supporting evidence of the existence God. -none-.

Name
    Ed Induh Gutter
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I can see (by that I mean physically see) supporting evidence of evolution. Do I fully buy into it? Not really. But,

But what about the millions of people that swear he exists!

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Darwin turned bitter towards God and to an atheist after his daughter Annie died at a young age. He could not understand how could God allow his daughter to die and came to the conclusion that there was no God.
    It's possible. Like I said earlier though, it's tough to sensibly argue against the existence of evolution on a smaller scale.

Being able to adapt to your surroundings is a part of what it means to be alive.

Fair enough.

I buy the concept of God because it makes sense to me on a philosophical level. Not going to talk you out of your perspective though.

Are you for real? DoubtingThomas's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Can't really blame any non-believers. I know the feeling.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Listen, I have no problem if you want to believe in the outlandish and the indefensible and then run and hide behind your "faith" when you lose every rational argument.

But you could at least try and stick to the truth when it comes to recent recorded history. Darwin started sketching the theory in 1842, sent a letter to a botanist friend in 1844 discussing his theory that species were not immutable. Also in 1844 he transformed his sketch into a 189-page essay on the topic - and wrote a letter that was to be opened by his wife in the event of this death, in which he requested her to publish the essay posthumously after his death. This essay not only discusses the ideas of common descent, variation, intermediate species etc, but also includes the phrase "natural selection".

Darwin's daughter fell ill in 1851, 7 years after he wrote this essay.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Listen, I have no problem if you want to believe in the outlandish and the indefensible and then run and hide behind your "faith" when you lose every rational argument.

But you could at least try and stick to the truth when it comes to recent recorded history. Darwin started sketching the theory in 1842, sent a letter to a botanist friend in 1844 discussing his theory that species were not immutable. Also in 1844 he transformed his sketch into a 189-page essay on the topic - and wrote a letter that was to be opened by his wife in the event of this death, in which he requested her to publish the essay posthumously after his death. This essay not only discusses the ideas of common descent, variation, intermediate species etc, but also includes the phrase "natural selection".

Darwin's daughter fell ill in 1851, 7 years after he wrote this essay.
    I knew I'd heard that somewhere before.

Thanks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    I used to believe the Jewish Zombie theory. Then again, I used to believe in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, and the E.B., and don't anymore, and there was a LOT more reason to believe in them, i.e. cash under the pillow, presents, candy in stockings, baskets, etc.

I think there was a dude from Nazareth who had some interesting ideas in a Gandhi-esque area, and got nailed to a tree by a government not much different than our US one today. He died. End of story, beginning of fable.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I used to believe the Jewish Zombie theory. Then again, I used to believe in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, and the E.B., and don't anymore, and there was a LOT more reason to believe in them, i.e. cash under the pillow, presents, candy in stockings, baskets, etc.

I think there was a dude from Nazareth who had some interesting ideas in a Gandhi-esque area, and got nailed to a tree by a government not much different than our US one today. He died. End of story, beginning of fable.
    Bingo...give this man a prize. His body was put into a cave or whatever...someone took/moved his body....3rd day people go and notice his body missing.. rumor spreads "He rose from the dead".....now idiots still believing it 2000 years later

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    why did he respawn in 3 days??

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Bingo...give this man a prize. His body was put into a cave or whatever...someone took/moved his body....3rd day people go and notice his body missing.. rumor spreads "He rose from the dead".....now idiots still believing it 2000 years later

I don't know. Given that it's been well do ented that a lot of the disciples were martyred for refusing to recant, I believe that they believed in what they were telling people. Between the way those tombs were set up back then and the fact that Jesus' body was kept in a rich person's tomb, I don't fully buy the body snatcher theory.

Of course, I believe in the Resurrection because I don't have a choice.

why did he respawn in 3 days??
    Serious question?

It's because 3 is the number of completion. In the Bible at least, that number was used pretty often when God was involved with something. I.e. The Triune

3 days, I think, brought home the fact that Jesus was who he said he was and that his fate was God's plan all along. Between that and the tearing of the temple veil at his death, I thought it was a wrap.

The resurrection, I suspect, was another example of God showing he was more powerful? Death and are shown a lot of the time as the domain of the devil and apparently it was the devil's plan to kill Jesus all along since he didn't realize people would be saved according to God's plan. So that part was probably necessary.

In a nuts I'd say that completion, full cycle, rebirth, and all that stuff were the main reasons why it took him 3 days to rise. Maybe that and also to confirm that he was dead in the minds of the disciples?

As always, anyone with more biblical knowledge can correct me...

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    I'm agnostic, but you bet your bottom dollar I'm praying to anything when I'm in the foxhole!

Plus, Jesus seemed like a cool guy. Tall and fit carpenter who could have started on any number of juco bball teams in his day, but he decided to stay in his dorm and poke smot.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I don't know. Given that it's been well do ented that a lot of the disciples were martyred for refusing to recant, I believe that they believed in what they were telling people. Between the way those tombs were set up back then and the fact that Jesus' body was kept in a rich person's tomb, I don't fully buy the body snatcher theory.

Of course, I believe in the Resurrection because I don't have a choice.

Serious question?

It's because 3 is the number of completion. In the Bible at least, that number was used pretty often when God was involved with something. I.e. The Triune

3 days, I think, brought home the fact that Jesus was who he said he was and that his fate was God's plan all along. Between that and the tearing of the temple veil at his death, I thought it was a wrap.

The resurrection, I suspect, was another example of God showing he was more powerful? Death and are shown a lot of the time as the domain of the devil and apparently it was the devil's plan to kill Jesus all along since he didn't realize people would be saved according to God's plan. So that part was probably necessary.

In a nuts I'd say that completion, full cycle, rebirth, and all that stuff were the main reasons why it took him 3 days to rise. Maybe that and also to confirm that he was dead in the minds of the disciples?

As always, anyone with more biblical knowledge can correct me...
    lol son. Just cause it's in the bible doesn't mean it's true....tons of horrible and incorrect things in there. If he came back physically...what happened to him....where did he go?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    lol son. Just cause it's in the bible doesn't mean it's true....tons of horrible and incorrect things in there. If he came back physically...what happened to him....where did he go?

I'm a woman!

The preparation of rich people's tombs back then had nothing to do with the Bible (other than making appearances).

And the martyred original disciples I don't think were covered originally in the Bible either. Their deaths I believe were mostly recorded independently.

Where I really relied on the Bible there was in explaining to that other poster my opinion on the whole 3 days thing. In which case it'd be reasonable to take that event within the context of itself no?

What do you mean if he came back physically? I seem to recall that at one point after coming back he told them (disciples/women/followers) that they couldn't touch him although he did eat something at some point.

So I'm on the fence because while I have to believe that he did resurrect I'm not sure he came back completely normal.

I would assume he went back home. But like I said, he must've come back maybe in a slightly different form for him to have disappeared.

Thread Information