Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what a talented kid. pop finally found the mold he was looking for. he will shape this kid into a force to be reckoned with. congrats Kawhi

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bridge on the River Kawhi was always one of my favorite movies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew him when, saw Kawhi live and watched him play as a Freshman here at Montezuma Mesa and now...He's so much a Spur that I don't miss George Hill and I thought GHill was a great fit. But with the Big 3 in various states of slow decline, this is an infusion of youth that was so spot on. Props to Pop, RC, Holt and the rest of the FO for doing what was unpopular for the betterment of the team and Spurs fans the world over.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on stats ( productivity (pts/reb/ast) : ranked 10th among rookies and efficiency ratings : 7th among rookies) plus the intangibles that don't appear in the box score e.g defense. Kawhi is easily a top 8 rookie and arguably in the top 5. especially if you look at his last 4 games. Based on that I'd have to say it was a steal to get him 15th in the draft. Any clues why he dropped so low? Many originally had him as a lottery pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his role will be different if he was on a scrub team rebuilding

even though his starting for the spurs, his still not the 1-2-3-4 option on offense...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes, he can smile...

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    I see him being a Ron Artest aka Metta World Peace without the craziness down the road.
    No, he's actually Gerald Wallace, minus 9 years of NBA mileage.

The player on the Spurs that he reminds me of most is Blair. He just always seems to be in the right place, and has a real nose for the ball. He's a basketball player that loves playing the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am looking forward to the Phoenix game being on National TV tomorrow. I missed a couple of KL's stronger games.

This is the type of player we needed going forward as the Spurs transition from the all time great Big 3 to the next group of players.

Kawhi fell to 15 in part to his offensive limitations (shooting motion, range) at the time of the draft. He seems to have been working on these things during the lockout.

The best part of all is that he is one of the youngest players in the NBA. He could be in the league for 15 years with good health.

I really liked George Hill with the Spurs and what he brought as a player, but SA has been able to replace him with the offense of Gary Neal and the special skills of Kawhi to get steals and defend much bigger players.

It is really encouraging to see the Spurs continue to win (at home at least) with Manu having already missed six or seven games.

Danny Green, Blair, Splitter, Neal, and Leonard look to be guys that can be here for a good while. It wasn't that long ago when the Spurs had no young players to build around. That is now changing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just stunned he shows this kind of composure so early on his career. Will he go down as the 3rdnd all time Spur to get over himself so quickly after Duncan and D-Rob?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green, Blair, Splitter, Neal, and Leonard look to be guys that can be here for a good while. It wasn't that long ago when the Spurs had no young players to build around. That is now changing.
    I think it's funny how James Anderson has been con uously missing from these conversations for a while now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah with Manu being out I was hoping that Anderson would start showing us why we drafted him. I know he was behind the eight ball in the fact that his first year he got hurt and no summer camp and then this year no summer camp because of lockout.

I would like to know what he did this summer as far as keeping in shape, playing pick up games? I know that Neal and Leonard were playing ball the whole lockout..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Danny Green signed in Europe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah with Manu being out I was hoping that Anderson would start showing us why we drafted him. I know he was behind the eight ball in the fact that his first year he got hurt and no summer camp and then this year no summer camp because of lockout.

I would like to know what he did this summer as far as keeping in shape, playing pick up games? I know that Neal and Leonard were playing ball the whole lockout..
    I bet he can play a mean game of NBA2k

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's funny how James Anderson has been con uously missing from these conversations for a while now.
    I should have mentioned him. He was very effective at the start of last year (pre stress fracture) and got passed by Neal, who came out of nowhere as a small shooting guard.

The Spurs should not give up on Anderson at all. With this compacted schedule, there will likely be a time when he is needed.

He can definitely be part of this. I hope they give him adequate time to develop. The FO, in my view, gave up on Ian Mahimi too soon to save a low seven figure amount on the salary cap. Unfortunately, the light has now turned on to a degree, and he is a rotation player in Dallas. Of course he is also playing for a contract next year. A 10/5 guy on a playoff team is not a bad player.

Anderson can be a rotation player with time as well.

In my opinion, the last #1 pick the Spurs have totally missed on (that signed here and played) is Cory Alexander which goes to show how good a job the Spurs do with their player draft evaluations. That was a long time ago.

We'll see with Anderson and Joseph in the next couple of years. I think it is clear that Leonard is a player.
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 01-14-2012 at 12:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I should have mentioned him. He was very effective at the start of last year (pre stress fracture) and got passed by Neal, who came out of nowhere as a small shooting guard.

The Spurs should not give up on Anderson at all. With this compacted schedule, there will likely be a time when he is needed.

He can definitely be part of this. I hope they give him adequate time to develop. The FO, in my view, gave up on Ian Mahimi too soon to save a low seven figure amount on the salary cap. Unfortunately, the light has now turned on to a degree, and he is a rotation player in Dallas. Of course he is also playing for a contract next year. A 10/5 guy on a playoff team is not a bad player.

Anderson can be a rotation player with time as well.
    Where will the minutes come from? Seriously, Neal fills the role of outside shooter (as does Green). When Manu comes back he'll be Manu. Green has shown he can do pretty much everything Anderson can do (which isn't much) and about 50 other things he can't. That's 3 guys already ahead of him in the rotation at his position (SG). That's not even including any minutes KL gets there.

Where will the minutes come from?

Zip it up and Zip it out. WeNeedLength's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Zip it up and Zip it out. WeNeedLength's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm bored so I made another version:

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Where will the minutes come from? Seriously, Neal fills the role of outside shooter (as does Green). When Manu comes back he'll be Manu. Green has shown he can do pretty much everything Anderson can do (which isn't much) and about 50 other things he can't. That's 3 guys already ahead of him in the rotation at his position (SG). That's not even including any minutes KL gets there.

Where will the minutes come from?
    You're assuming that all of those players will be 100% healthy for the remainder of the season. This almost no training camp year has shown otherwise.

Manu is still out for more than another month, Neal is playing like crap, and RJ is starting to sputter. Pop is also showing a penchant for running three wing lineups with some combination of RJ, Kawhi, Green, and Anderson. There will be minutes for him for another 4-6 weeks, but James needs to get his head and his ass wired together, and I mean NOW. Otherwise, it could be another lost season for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're assuming that all of those players will be 100% healthy for the remainder of the season. This almost no training camp year has shown otherwise.

Manu is still out for more than another month, Neal is playing like crap, and RJ is starting to sputter. Pop is also showing a penchant for running three wing lineups with some combination of RJ, Kawhi, Green, and Anderson. There will be minutes for him for another 4-6 weeks, but James needs to get his head and his ass wired together, and I mean NOW. Otherwise, it could be another lost season for him.
    Neal is playing like crap: FALSE - Neal is currently learning to play a new position at the highest level and that is why his stats have declined. However, if he were to return to the SG role he would, in all liklihood, be back to his old self.

RJ is starting to sputter: FALSE - While I'm not usually a RJ apologist, I will say that I don't think hes sputtering yet. Hes had an off game or two, but no more so than Danny Green did just a couple of nights ago. His play this year has actually been pretty decent an above average for his par with this team.

Pop is running a three wing lineup: TRUE - However, many of those lineups also included a pairing of Tony Parker and TJ Ford and was before the Spurs signed Malcolm Thomas as depth. Now, Thomas' contributions will likely be slight at best. But the injury bug that has plagued the wings will force Pop to adjust his rotations, and that might mean more bigs and fewer wings.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Neal is playing like crap: FALSE - Neal is currently learning to play a new position at the highest level and that is why his stats have declined. However, if he were to return to the SG role he would, in all liklihood, be back to his old self.

RJ is starting to sputter: FALSE - While I'm not usually a RJ apologist, I will say that I don't think hes sputtering yet. Hes had an off game or two, but no more so than Danny Green did just a couple of nights ago. His play this year has actually been pretty decent an above average for his par with this team.

Pop is running a three wing lineup: TRUE - However, many of those lineups also included a pairing of Tony Parker and TJ Ford and was before the Spurs signed Malcolm Thomas as depth. Now, Thomas' contributions will likely be slight at best. But the injury bug that has plagued the wings will force Pop to adjust his rotations, and that might mean more bigs and fewer wings.
    Neal's bread and butter, his jumper, has seemingly deserted him. His defense seems to have gone to the same place as his jumper. His crappy play has nothing to do with his few minutes of PG play. We'll have to disagree with this one.

To me, sputtering means having a few bad games. Stalling is what JA is doing. My definition of sputtering may actually agree with your assessment of a few off games. It still may open a few minutes for JA if RJ isn't bringing it.

Thomas likely will get no minutes at JA's expense, and damn few overall. We disagree on this one, too. I like the kid, but Pop is reluctant to play inexperienced bigs. He'll be a garbage time fan favorite for the rest of the year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thomas likely will get no minutes at JA's expense, and damn few overall. We disagree on this one, too. I like the kid, but Pop is reluctant to play inexperienced bigs. He'll be a garbage time fan favorite for the rest of the year.
    I'm not saying that Thomas will play big minutes, or even any minutes each game. But I am saying that a reduced number of wings will mean that bigmen may end up playing a larger role (ie, less small ball). Those minutes could come from Splitter, Blair or doubtfully but possibly Thomas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not smiling, you clown, he's about to bite somebody!

Thread Information