Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And here's the other thing:

Forget giving White a chance at point, EVER. It doesn't matter if Mills shoots 0% from 3 with no playmaking and defense, NO WAY HE'S SITTING WITH THAT CONTRACT

And to people who think he'll be some valuable trade asset ... How on Earth will that happen?

As trade ballast to get a deal done, maybe.

But otherwise ... The league is awash in point guards. And if 29+ year old Mills isn't hitting shots, how is he tradable? At all? With that bloated number, if he's not hitting, he's worthless.

He's not even useful as LMA's friend, to be an LMA-Whisperer, because he's sucked at that too going by there results.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta hand it to dabom, he said they'd keep Patty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for team culture with Manu, Tony and Timmy all likely absent from training camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think most of us knew that with TP getting injured, Mills was likely to stay.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not every move has to get you closer to the Warriors. This move provides continuity for a core that was pretty good. Ideally, Murray developing is what gets us closer to GS.
    Continuity for losing to the Warriors. Great.

And if Murray truly leaps it makes much of this moot. Still seems like wasted money to me.
    If Murray leaps that doesn't make things better.

Then that's money that could have been spent elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for team culture with Manu, Tony and Timmy all likely absent from training camp.
    lets see if we can culture our way past the warriors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you take TP out of the equation, the guard rotation is still one of the worst in the nba. But again, more expensive.

Mills is only a spark plug when it doesnt matter. I mean, I guess I would buy the argument that regular season minutes soakers are valuable; I'm strictly talking about a playoff team though. He does no good in the playoffs and that is huge.
    Well yeah it's more expensive but that's not saying much considering Paddy was massively underpaid the past three years. I also think it's very likely Murray is better than last regular season's TP.

Paddy isnt consistently good in the playoffs. He especially isn't good without Kawhi to play off of. That doesn't make him completely worthless in the postseason though. Again, he's had his share of good games in the postseason. Nothing out of the ordinary for a role player making role player money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing I can think of is that the moves SA wanted to make weren't possible (trading LA) and that they feel they were closer to GS than people would have you believe and they want to run it back with minor tweaks.

I even made that argument, but with all the LMA erosion talk I faded that feeling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the raiders/spurs are always a yin/yang.

as the raiders are finally rising, the spurs are falling

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well yeah it's more expensive but that's not saying much considering Paddy was massively underpaid the past three years. I also think it's very likely Murray is better than last regular season's TP.

Paddy isnt consistently good in the playoffs. He especially isn't good without Kawhi to play off of. That doesn't make him completely worthless in the postseason though. Again, he's had his share of good games in the postseason. Nothing out of the ordinary for a role player making role player money.
    If hes just a role player and those are pretty easy to find because its nothing out of the ordinary, why pay him more? Find a replacement like thy always do with Beli, Neal, etc..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And look, even if SA brings back the same team as last year minus Manu/Lee/Dedmon they can still be really good. It's just that every deal the sign today hurts signing impact players down the road too (in a bubble, of course guys like Mills can be moved with their friendly contracts - however signing a friendly deal makes it less likely they are moved out of loyalty)
    This contract is a Tony Parker loyalty like one. It's could be a good one to move next season onwards (maybe if teams still value him, depends what other PGs are out there too), but they'll never trade him, so that is why I didn't bother bringing that up as a positive. I thought about it as a positive contract to trade later on down the line, but the Spurs won't do that, so we're stuck with more dead weight and money on the team.

The Spurs have basically replaced the contract I thought they were going to get off the books with Parker at the end of next season with a new one exactly like it. Those of us that hated Parker the past two years for his contract, well guess what, we get 4 more years of that with this one from Mills.

Basically, it's a contract that doesn't help the team get closer to competing for the Championship.

I love Patty Mills, but I don't like him on a team looking to win it all (unless he's a cheap end of the bench spark plug).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Im hoping is, is that SA brings back the same guard rotation for reasonable prices (including simmons, Mills already there now) and upgrades the front court.

If they can land Millsap or trade LMA for a PG and then use other money to upgrade, I would be good with that. The backcourt was not good enough but hand Murray the keys, keep cost down as much as possible and upgrade the front court.

Right now with no Lee/Dedmon and no TP, Spurs are literally worse everywhere (although it's obviously day 1 of FA and SA will fill Lee/ Dedmon holes).

Just think that an upgrade over LmA is needed. Or at least a talent upgrade else where.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am with objective and Manu4tres in this one.

Also with dpg when he pointed out the Spurs backcourt had underperformed 2 postseason in a row (excepting Tony 's Indian summer against Memphis unlikely to be repeated now that he got a severe injury and is older.) And now they are just paying more and committing more years to the same mediocre crew. Only hope is for Dijons development but that is a huge gamble. He's till young and learning, his prime years are still far.
    I don't know what role white plays moving on forward and even less Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where on Earth does White find minutes? What's his path, because I don't see one unfortunately.
    With Tony out at least the first 2-3 months (or maybe longer) and Manu possibly retiring, there could be some opportunities to rotate White into the backcourt (Patty, Dejounte, and White - if he outplays Forbes). I think he has a chance if he can pick up the defensive rules. You may be correct, and he might be worse than Forbes, but it's preseason, so I'm still giving him a roster slot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we're trotting out the same tired old bags from 2014

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Tony out at least the first 2-3 months (or maybe longer) and Manu possibly retiring, there could be some opportunities to rotate White into the backcourt (Patty, Dejounte, and White - if he outplays Forbes). I think he has a chance if he can pick up the defensive rules. You may be correct, and he might be worse than Forbes, but it's preseason, so I'm still giving him a roster slot.
    I have no issue drafting a PG because of exactly what you said. SA at a minimum is down one guard (TP due to injury) and could very well be down 3 with Manu retiring and Simmons getting signed else where.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If hes just a role player and those are pretty easy to find because its nothing out of the ordinary, why pay him more? Find a replacement like thy always do with Beli, Neal, etc..
    Wouldn't have been against that and was expecting that to be the case. Im not arguing that re-signing him was a must. All I'm saying is this doesn't make or break the team. The contract is at the very least fair value with the added bonus of him being a great locker room guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So did Chinook.
    I thought the same at times, but I Hoped they didn't.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Swear to god, would rather have Phil Jackson over Drunkford right now

Holy . The PJ Tucker interest seems legit after this got showed his cards and it's clear he isn't trying to win

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't have been against that and was expecting that to be the case. Im not arguing that it re-signing him was a must. All I'm saying is this doesn't make or break the team. The contract is at the very least fair value with the added bonus of being a great locker room guy.
    I agree it does not make or break the team: have to see what else happens. It's just an odd start all the way around although with his cap hold, getting him to agree earlier was best case for maneuverability

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Mills is only a spark plug when it doesnt matter. I mean, I guess I would buy the argument that regular season minutes soakers are valuable; I'm strictly talking about a playoff team though. He does no good in the playoffs and that is huge.
    I remember sitting in the AT&T Center on June, 15 2014. It mattered.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs struck out on Paul and Jrue and Teague and thought Hill wanted too much ...

Just overpay Patty for one year, his cap hold is under 7 and you have full bird!

Give him 1 year 20 million! Or 1/22! As a 'thank you' for the service.

THEN if you still need him for whatever reason, give him a 3/30 declining. Just don't tie up Kawhi's prime like this! It's a crime!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs struck out on Paul and Jrue and Teague and thought Hill wanted too much ...

Just overpay Patty for one year, his cap hold is under 7 and you have full bird!

Give him 1 year 20 million! Or 1/22! As a 'thank you' for the service.

THEN if you still need him for whatever reason, give him a 3/30 declining. Just don't tie up Kawhi's prime like this! It's a crime!
    Yeah, I would have been much, much better with them doing that. 1 year only would have been OK with me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing I can think of is that the moves SA wanted to make weren't possible (trading LA) and that they feel they were closer to GS than people would have you believe and they want to run it back with minor tweaks.

I even made that argument, but with all the LMA erosion talk I faded that feeling.
    I really think we are down to plan B, bringing everyone back with some draft picks that will be in Austin most of the season... their plan A, the master plan didn't pan out when LMA/Danny couldn't be traded and LMA leaked thagt he wanted out.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 07-01-2017 at 01:46 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't think I'm hating on him, I've come to be very high on him after watching every thing there is out there. I even have a hunch that he's a better shooter than Mills is right now. And playmaker. And defender. I became even higher on him when reflecting on his one year of major compe ion compared to how Simmons was also a late bloomer with only one year of major compe ion. Thinking of his skill development even at his age made me much more excited for White.

But if the Spurs do match on Simmons, and Manu or Hanga signs, ...

Where's the room on the floor?

Green-Manu-Simmons at the 2, Kawhi and Anderson at the 3, Murray and Mills at the 1 ...

It's over. No time other than spot garbage. And that's without Parker.

Thread Information