Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    It seems like the NFL is getting progressively worse every year, for a myriad of reasons. I'm not talking about the publicity stunts during the anthem, because if you have NFL Redzone you never have to watch that contrived bull in the first place. I'm talking about the product on the field, and here are a few things that have really turned people away (imo)...feel free to add any:

1. Penalties. It's almost as if the refs have egos now, in that they assert their will on every game. There are far too many ticky-tack penalties in key situations, especially holding calls (O & D) and the horribly misused "illegal contact" penalty. It won't end up being a big story because Philly won, but last night's game was an example of a one-sided officiating disaster.

...and what's the point of KR/PR anymore? I don't know the statistics but it "feels" like there's a flag on 70-75% of all returns...completely sucks the excitement out of those plays.

2. Wide receivers/TE's/etc can't catch. I feel like there's been more drops than I could ever remember. You have ONE JOB, catch the ing ball.

3. Poor tackling...to be fair this isn't new, tackling technique has been declining for almost 30 years now. It still pisses me off when watching a little RB break a big play cause the dip defender goes for the big hit instead of wrapping up.

4. Piss-poor QB play. Outside of Rodgers, Brady, and Brees (2 of which could retire at any time), there are no sure things. Every other QB has bouts of wild inconsistency. There's hope with upstarts like Wentz, Watson, Carr, Mariota, Dak...but time will tell. More duds than studs at this position.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    The AFC is boring as and has been since 2003. The Patriots and Steelers both need a nice long 30+ year period of suckage.

The league and casual fans keep trying to shove gimmick QBs down our throat even though they keep getting exposed once defenses have enough tape on them.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Coaches designing plays to deliberately run the offense and not involve my fantasy football players.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    It seems like the NFL is getting progressively worse every year, for a myriad of reasons. I'm not talking about the publicity stunts during the anthem, because if you have NFL Redzone you never have to watch that contrived bull in the first place. I'm talking about the product on the field, and here are a few things that have really turned people away (imo)...feel free to add any:

1. Penalties. It's almost as if the refs have egos now, in that they assert their will on every game. There are far too many ticky-tack penalties in key situations, especially holding calls (O & D) and the horribly misused "illegal contact" penalty. It won't end up being a big story because Philly won, but last night's game was an example of a one-sided officiating disaster.

...and what's the point of KR/PR anymore? I don't know the statistics but it "feels" like there's a flag on 70-75% of all returns...completely sucks the excitement out of those plays.

2. Wide receivers/TE's/etc can't catch. I feel like there's been more drops than I could ever remember. You have ONE JOB, catch the ing ball.

3. Poor tackling...to be fair this isn't new, tackling technique has been declining for almost 30 years now. It still pisses me off when watching a little RB break a big play cause the dip defender goes for the big hit instead of wrapping up.

4. Piss-poor QB play. Outside of Rodgers, Brady, and Brees (2 of which could retire at any time), there are no sure things. Every other QB has bouts of wild inconsistency. There's hope with upstarts like Wentz, Watson, Carr, Mariota, Dak...but time will tell. More duds than studs at this position.
    Penalties for sure. And the NFL constantly adjusting rules regarding celebrations of any sort. As long as it doesn't delay the game, who cares.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Penalties for sure. And the NFL constantly adjusting rules regarding celebrations of any sort. As long as it doesn't delay the game, who cares.
    Yeah...but now I'm sick of the orchestrated celebrations. I'd rather someone just score and do whatever they want. Instead of the team celebrations where all I can think about is that they actually spent time working on it together.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Agreed on all of OPs points. Also:

1. Monday Night Football has gone to for about a decade now. MNF used to be the biggest game of the week, pitting the best matchup of the week. Now, it's usually 1 good team vs. 1 putrid team. Sometimes, it's even 2 bad teams. Rarely is it 2 of the elite teams matching up against each other. Also, the Sunday night FLEX scheduling needs to start earlier. No one wants to watch an 0-5 Giants team with all of their WRs injured play in primetime this weekend.

2. The instant replay system. Why does the ref have to go look at the replay and make a decision on whether him or a crew member got a call wrong? These refs have egos, and they aren't going to admit that they made a mistake unless it's obvious. Let an official in the press box control the replay decision. That's what College Football does. It's quicker and they get the call right more often because the ref on the field doesn't have to swallow his pride.

3. Overtime rules. So dumb. So if you lose the coin toss, and the other team scores a TD, they win. But if they only score a FG, the game continues. LOL. Let both teams get the ball, maybe at midfield (not the 25 yard line like in college). Play it out like they do in college after that. And ties should not exist. This isn't povertyball.

4. Homefield in the playoffs needs to be addressed. Why should a ty division winner with a 9-7 record get home field advantage over a strong 12-4 Wild Card team? I'll admit that I'm still salty about that 7-9 Seahawks team getting to play at home in freezing weather against the 11-5 Saints and pulling off the upset. No way the Saints lose in the comfort of the dome.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Agreed on all of OPs points. Also:

1. Monday Night Football has gone to for about a decade now. MNF used to be the biggest game of the week, pitting the best matchup of the week. Now, it's usually 1 good team vs. 1 putrid team. Sometimes, it's even 2 bad teams. Rarely is it 2 of the elite teams matching up against each other. Also, the Sunday night FLEX scheduling needs to start earlier. No one wants to watch an 0-5 Giants team with all of their WRs injured play in primetime this weekend.

2. The instant replay system. Why does the ref have to go look at the replay and make a decision on whether him or a crew member got a call wrong? These refs have egos, and they aren't going to admit that they made a mistake unless it's obvious. Let an official in the press box control the replay decision. That's what College Football does. It's quicker and they get the call right more often because the ref on the field doesn't have to swallow his pride.

3. Overtime rules. So dumb. So if you lose the coin toss, and the other team scores a TD, they win. But if they only score a FG, the game continues. LOL. Let both teams get the ball, maybe at midfield (not the 25 yard line like in college). Play it out like they do in college after that. And ties should not exist. This isn't povertyball.

4. Homefield in the playoffs needs to be addressed. Why should a ty division winner with a 9-7 record get home field advantage over a strong 12-4 Wild Card team? I'll admit that I'm still salty about that 7-9 Seahawks team getting to play at home in freezing weather against the 11-5 Saints and pulling off the upset. No way the Saints lose in the comfort of the dome.
    It's sucked about as long as Thursday Night Football has been around then.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    Why bother having divisions if there's no advantage to winning them?

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    Take a wild guess.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Why bother having divisions if there's no advantage to winning them?
    Well winning your division should get you in the playoffs. But if your division is ty then why get rewarded with a home game vs. a wild card team with a better record?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Players worrying about their fantasy numbers instead of the team. Refs orchestrating the game. Late flags because of the crowd reaction. Holding should be eliminated, it's a dumb penalty. I also liked it better when we weren't concerned with who the players were ing during the off-season.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Take a wild guess.
    rofl

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    i hate when people make a big deal about what happens pregame when nobody is tuned in anyway

36/7/7
    My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Kicking a field goal on the 3 yard line.

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    gots who disrespect the flag by caring what other people do during the anthem.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Well winning your division should get you in the playoffs. But if your division is ty then why get rewarded with a home game vs. a wild card team with a better record?
    Sure. But how do you quantify if your division is ty. I mean...it's possible. But I don't think anyone wants to see the seeding based on metrics.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    The league needs to do away with Thursday Night Football as well.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Roger Goodell is the biggest problem. A ty commish will sink a league faster than anything else.

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Roger Goodell is the biggest problem. A ty commish will sink a league faster than anything else.
    Yeah i hate when people say that the league is making a ton of money under his watch. The product on the field has been so good that it was gonna be profitable no matter who was in charge. I think the NFL makes money in spite of him, not because of him. Hopefully JJ and Kraft can get that bag ousted.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I like TNF. The games have definitely been better this year

Agree about Goodell, though. Crazy how much money he's made.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count

Same with basketball too when you have genetic freaks like Dwight Howard who can't even develop proper fundamentals/consistent free throws after 10 years in the NBA. I don't know if the NFL has always had guys dropping routine catches like this, but yeah it's pretty bad. Most of the time they just jog back to the huddle like nothing's wrong.

In general, the stupid plays have always pissed me off (running backwards after the catch when all you need is two yards for the first down, taunting penalties that cost your team 15 yards, front flips into the endzone, etc) but I guess that will never change when the majority of the players have IQs under 90

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Same with basketball too when you have genetic freaks like Dwight Howard who can't even develop proper fundamentals/consistent free throws after 10 years in the NBA. I don't know if the NFL has always had guys dropping routine catches like this, but yeah it's pretty bad. Most of the time they just jog back to the huddle like nothing's wrong.

In general, the stupid plays have always pissed me off (running backwards after the catch when all you need is two yards for the first down, taunting penalties that cost your team 15 yards, front flips into the endzone, etc) but I guess that will never change when the majority of the players have IQs under 90
    It’s the youtube/espn mentality of this crop of receivers. You can’t just catch a 10 yd slant and go down. You have to catch it one-handed, hurdle two defenders, and break it for an 80 yd run. They don’t bother to remember that step one is to ing catch it. That’s another reason why untalented guys like Welker and Beasley can have productive careers, simply because they’re the few guys left who aren’t trying to make a Youtube Highlight Mix every time the ball comes their way.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Yeah i hate when people say that the league is making a ton of money under his watch. The product on the field has been so good that it was gonna be profitable no matter who was in charge. I think the NFL makes money in spite of him, not because of him. Hopefully JJ and Kraft can get that bag ousted.
    I don't understand why the owners are OK with him going on vendettas against players like Brady, Peterson and Zeke knowing it'll result in a court battle. It doesn't make the NFL any more money, all it does is make a lockout more likely during the next CBA negotiation.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    St. Louis Rams
    Post Count
    Color Rush Uniforms.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I don't understand why the owners are OK with him going on vendettas against players like Brady, Peterson and Zeke knowing it'll result in a court battle. It doesn't make the NFL any more money, all it does is make a lockout more likely during the next CBA negotiation.
    To prevent every piece of from challenging every suspension in court

Thread Information