Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks. I work to be even-handed and respectful, but am far from perfect.
    Have you seen mouse? I'm beginning to think he's trolling and compared to that I feel like this has been a fairly decent discussion.

To be honest, though I do think the bible is pretty much bunk, and far from logical. It is hard to say that without sounding overly confrontational, but that is what I think.
    I hear you. I think that since it's a religion that is more emotion-based I wouldn't expect it to be perfectly rational since there is that element of faith involved. It all really boils down to whether or not you believe the Christian God exists. If I didn't think so then I'd probably share your opinion on the whole thing.

As it stands, there's enough logic to not drive me crazy and at the very least I find it consistent. I won't try to talk you out of your opinion anything though.

It's one of those things where you either really believe it or you really don't.

As long as someone can answer questions honestly and fairly, I can return in kind.
    That's what message boards are supposed to be for.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    somebody PLEASE tell me the conspiracy theory schticks are just a trolljob from mouse. I need to hear this.
    Nope. I am fairly sure he half believes all of them.

If memory serves, life on earth has sentient alien origins or similar, but he doesn't like admitting this, because then he has to defend it. Easier to pick pot shots at established theories than have one of your own.

His attacks on science stem almost entirely from a shocking degree of ignorance about science, absorbed from other people who are similarly ignorant, with a rather stubborn insistance on not subjecting anything to critical thinking.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Have you seen mouse? I'm beginning to think he's trolling and compared to that I feel like this has been a fairly decent discussion.

I hear you. I think that since it's a religion that is more emotion-based I wouldn't expect it to be perfectly rational since there is that element of faith involved. It all really boils down to whether or not you believe the Christian God exists. If I didn't think so then I'd probably share your opinion on the whole thing.

As it stands, there's enough logic to not drive me crazy and at the very least I find it consistent. I won't try to talk you out of your opinion anything though.

It's one of those things where you either really believe it or you really don't.

That's what message boards are supposed to be for.
    Do you believe in Bigfoot?

(serious question)

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Do you believe in Bigfoot?

(serious question)

I think it's an interesting story.

I have a hard time believing that an animal that size would be undiscovered. Granted there are some places in Canada and America that are really remote and unexplored but with the sightings so spread out that would suggest a decent breeding population and a large roaming area.

If there's that many of them alive and all, there should be some evidence like droppings, hair samples, a dead body someone stumbled upon in the woods -something. Unless people want to start arguing that Bigfoot is supernatural, I just don't really think it exists or if it does it's a case of mistaken iden y (i.e. a prank or perhaps a human that's withdrawn from civilization?).

That said, given the sheer number of sightings dating back a long ways, I won't say it's impossible. Just highly, highly, highly, implausible to the point where I don't object when people say it isn't possible.

Why?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You know, he was kidding after all Skept.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You know, he was kidding after all Skept.
    *shrug* I took the "serious question" in brackets to mean he wanted an answer.

No skin off my nose either way.

Make a trade steal
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm a woman!

The preparation of rich people's tombs back then had nothing to do with the Bible (other than making appearances).

And the martyred original disciples I don't think were covered originally in the Bible either. Their deaths I believe were mostly recorded independently.

Where I really relied on the Bible there was in explaining to that other poster my opinion on the whole 3 days thing. In which case it'd be reasonable to take that event within the context of itself no?

What do you mean if he came back physically? I seem to recall that at one point after coming back he told them (disciples/women/followers) that they couldn't touch him although he did eat something at some point.

So I'm on the fence because while I have to believe that he did resurrect I'm not sure he came back completely normal.

I would assume he went back home. But like I said, he must've come back maybe in a slightly different form for him to have disappeared.
    Thomas touched his wounds for proof. The wounds were somehow preserved on Jesus's new body as a lesson to teach the future doubting Thomas's.

Make a trade steal
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm a woman!

The preparation of rich people's tombs back then had nothing to do with the Bible (other than making appearances).

And the martyred original disciples I don't think were covered originally in the Bible either. Their deaths I believe were mostly recorded independently.

Where I really relied on the Bible there was in explaining to that other poster my opinion on the whole 3 days thing. In which case it'd be reasonable to take that event within the context of itself no?

What do you mean if he came back physically? I seem to recall that at one point after coming back he told them (disciples/women/followers) that they couldn't touch him although he did eat something at some point.

So I'm on the fence because while I have to believe that he did resurrect I'm not sure he came back completely normal.

I would assume he went back home. But like I said, he must've come back maybe in a slightly different form for him to have disappeared.
    What do you mean he went back home? Jesus preached some to his close followers so they would keep his teachings alive.

Had he not come back his teachings would have died with him on the cross. He would have been proven to be a fraud, as his followers were cowarding in hiding while he was dying. But the fact he came back gave them inspiration to continue his teachings and many of them even died for their beliefs.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thomas touched his wounds for proof. The wounds were somehow preserved on Jesus's new body as a lesson to teach the future doubting Thomas's.
    Still doesn't mean something different hadn't happened by the time he resurrected though. Like I said, I'm on the fence on that one because he did tell someone not to touch him.

I don't dispute that he resurrected but I'm still looking at the logistics when Christ's actions are taken into account.

What do you mean he went back home? Jesus preached some to his close followers so they would keep his teachings alive.

Had he not come back his teachings would have died with him on the cross. He would have been proven to be a fraud, as his followers were cowarding in hiding while he was dying. But the fact he came back gave them inspiration to continue his teachings and many of them even died for their beliefs.
    So you're disputing that he went back to heaven after resurrecting? He came back, appeared, and energized his followers but that doesn't change the fact that he went back to heaven which in this case was his home.

Make a trade steal
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Still doesn't mean something different hadn't happened by the time he resurrected though. Like I said, I'm on the fence on that one because he did tell someone not to touch him.

So you're disputing that he went back to heaven after resurrecting? He came back, appeared, and energized his followers but that doesn't change the fact that he went back to heaven.
    I am not disputing that he went to Heaven. I just didn't know what you meant.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I am not disputing that he went to Heaven. I just didn't know what you meant.
    Oh. No worries then. I just realized that that post came up a little harsher than I'd intended. Sorry about that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Have you seen mouse? I'm beginning to think he's trolling

When was the last time you attended a ST gtg where someone acually called you "The Sceptic" ? Your more TRoll then 1/2 the posters in this topic

and compared to that I feel like this has been a fairly decent discussion.
    So your saying you approve od DeadZero and his skate boarding TRolls outdated insults over my researched evidence ?

There went your creditability not like you really had any.

Why not get over your man love for me and add something worth reading to the subject at hand?

[/QUOTE]

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Deadzero and his skateboarding trolls?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

When one digs into the details and definitions, there is even some ambiguity as to what exactly cons utes a "species", simply because reality is not always stark black and white, with lots of shades of gray.

Have you even opened a science text book?

The pages are white the text is black Science doesn't say "we think" the earth is 4 billion years old they say it "is" 4 billion years old.

Have you even clicked on the link in my signature?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    When was the last time you attended a ST gtg where someone acually called you "The Sceptic" ? Your more TRoll then 1/2 the posters in this topic

So your saying you approve od DeadZero and his skate boarding TRolls outdated insults over my researched evidence ?

There went your creditability not like you really had any.

Why not get over your man love for me and add something worth reading to the subject at hand?

lol subject at hand

you're an idiot and you know it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Thanks. I work to be even-handed and respectful, but am far from perfect.

To be honest, though I do think the bible is pretty much bunk, and far from logical. It is hard to say that without sounding overly confrontational, but that is what I think.

As long as someone can answer questions honestly and fairly, I can return in kind.

Open Mic night in the Club?
    RandomLie your the king of Propaganda when it comes to

9/11

Age of Earth

Evoulution

And Science

No matter how many times I blow your paper thin theories out of the water you curl up in a fetal position and try and insult my character with outdated school yard insults that have as much effect on me as RedZero's re-fried pick up lines at a Lesbian wedding.

And yet you still find time to gloss yourself on that shinny Chrome plated high horse on witch you proudly post on your used 2G Cricket flip phone you found while busing a table at Bill Millers Bar B Q

Well you better make sure you take your rusty phone charger you paid 8 dollars for off Craigslist to work Thursday because I am done trying to dumb it down so you can try and keep up with my highly educated points of view.
    Last edited by mouse; 04-11-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    , I can't even save that lame ass anti-marriage, mouse stalkin', gravity seduced maniac.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    lol mouse-stalking
    lol pretending yet again that you aren't a manchild
    lol still not understanding my point about gravity

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Dp

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I think it's an interesting story.

I have a hard time believing that an animal that size would be undiscovered. Granted there are some places in Canada and America that are really remote and unexplored but with the sightings so spread out that would suggest a decent breeding population and a large roaming area.

If there's that many of them alive and all, there should be some evidence like droppings, hair samples, a dead body someone stumbled upon in the woods -something. Unless people want to start arguing that Bigfoot is supernatural, I just don't really think it exists or if it does it's a case of mistaken iden y (i.e. a prank or perhaps a human that's withdrawn from civilization?).

That said, given the sheer number of sightings dating back a long ways, I won't say it's impossible. Just highly, highly, highly, implausible to the point where I don't object when people say it isn't possible.

Why?
    So, you don't believe this, because you have no proof that it exists?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Have you even opened a science text book?

The pages are white the text is black Science doesn't say "we think" the earth is 4 billion years old they say it "is" 4 billion years old.

Have you even clicked on the link in my signature?
    okaaay. Your point being?

We know the age of the earth within a pretty good range.

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth

Some things are a lot less ambiguous and subjective than others.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    RandomLie your the king of Propaganda when it comes to

9/11

Age of Earth

Evoulution

And Science

No matter how many times I blow your paper thin theories out of the water you curl up in a fetal position and try and insult my character with outdated school yard insults that have as much effect on me as RedZero's re-fried pick up lines at a Lesbian wedding.

And yet you still find time to gloss yourself on that shinny Chrome plated high horse on witch you proudly post on your used 2G Cricket flip phone you found while busing a table at Bill Millers Bar B Q

Well you better make sure you take your rusty phone charger you paid 8 dollars for off Craigslist to work Thursday because I am done trying to dumb it down so you can try and keep up with my highly educated points of view.

Science is the method through which we learn about our universe. Your hostility to the empirical method has always puzzled me.

So, how would you go about finding the age of the earth?

What do you think it is, if not 4.5Bn years?

What evidence supports your thesis?

Why do you discard all the other evidence we have?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You might quibble with the inconsistency, but answer this:

Why did God let Jepthah carry through?

Why did God not stop him?

Did God in this case approve of human sacrifice?
    I quibbled because I was addressing the original charge of inconsistency.

For this particular instance, I think because it was more important for Jepthah to carry through on his promise.
    Is human sacrifice moral to you?

Jepthah asked God for victory, promising a sacrifice. God granted his wish. God did not stop Jepthah, nor condemn him in any way.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So, you don't believe this, because you have no proof that it exists?
    Hey, I never said that believing in God was necessarily logical. As far as atheism/agnosticism goes, I honestly get it. If I wasn't a Christian I'd probably be an atheist.

On most issues I'm a woman of reason but not so much in this case. I'll admit to that without any prodding.

Is human sacrifice moral to you?
    While I definitely think it's a bad thing, my opinion on human sacrifice doesn't matter with respect to the topic...

Jepthah asked God for victory, promising a sacrifice. God granted his wish. God did not stop Jepthah, nor condemn him in any way.
    I believe that's how the story went. I'm assuming that you want a response to what that's supposed to be about right?

Like I said earlier, I think it's because Jepthah was keeping his promise to God. One of the main commandments is to put God first and ahead of everything and everyone. By following through on his word in spite of what it costed him, Jepthah was following the first commandment as he understood it. Why would God condemn him in that case? On top of which, he didn't explicitly offer a human just the first thing that came out of his house. For all we know, he could've been expecting a dog or a bird to come out first.

Those are the facts. Now whether or not it was the right thing to do is a topic that's definitely up for debate.

Again, you're going from the "God is love" paradigm and then bringing morality into it. I'm the wrong person to ask that of because I don't buy into that particular belief system.

Thread Information